Pre-Match Spurs Vs Liverpool 15th Dec 2013 4pm (SKY TV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
Next up sees us play away to Spurs. Not been a good place to go over the years so lets hope we can get something out of this game this Sunday.

Poetry In Motion

Omnishambles
I'm hoping we can take something from this game, but with Gerrard and Sturridge out, it's not gonna be easy. If I were BR, I'd go for a 4-2-3-1/4-5-1:

Mignolet

Johnson
Skrtel
Sakho
Agger

Lucas
Allen

Henderson
Coutinho
Sterling

Suarez

I just think Agger at LB with Skrtel and Sakho is more solid against tough opposition than risking Flanagan. Coutinho in the free-role, hopefully given the chance to create a lot for Suarez - who'll have to step up to make a difference for us. Heart's holding out for a win, but my head's saying I'd take a point.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Quite possibly the biggest game of Rodgers' time at LFC.

Spurs desperately need the win, and have turned a couple of seasons around over the past few years with a win over us at White Hart Lane. A win for them could see them within 5 of the top, drawing even with us, A loss for us is likely to see us drop behind Chelsea and Everton, possibly Citeh as well. A win for us would at least see us keep pace with the top, with a good chance of picking up 2 or 3 points on the Gunners, while putting an enormous amount of pressure on AVB.

No Gerrard, no Sturridge. Leaky defence versus Spurs' ineffectual attack. The tactical set up is going to be absolutely pivotal, and both managers have been a bit off-key this season.

I think I'd take a draw, even though this is arguably the most winnable of the three big games.

Urban Achiever

I don't think Agger can run "enough" to play LB ?

I wish Rodgers would try him, but this might be the issue. Football-quality wise he's well beyong good enough, but our backs need to cover some serious ground and as much as I rate Agger I doubt his up for that....

artanisknarf

For a change, I feel confident getting into this game. spurs will score one and I think we can score two or better.
As for Gerrard missing, I think we will do just fine, the team will pull together and Lucas will excell.

Poetry In Motion

Omnishambles
Urban Achiever said:
I don't think Agger can run "enough" to play LB ?

I wish Rodgers would try him, but this might be the issue. Football-quality wise he's well beyong good enough, but our backs need to cover some serious ground and as much as I rate Agger I doubt his up for that....
Good point. That leaves a dilemma then, because Sakho deserves to keep his place and Agger should really be a firm starter - however, Rodgers doesn't seem to play them together (probably down to the fact they're both left-footed).

LFC7NH

Anyone know if Vertonghen is out? Saw he didn't play this weekend, is he injured? Good news for us if so.

Bring Lucas in for Stevie, other than that I'd go with an unchanged team from the West Ham Game.

Keep Flanagan at LB, he played great against both Arsenal and Everton away and deserves to keep his spot IMO.

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
LFC7NH said:
Keep Flanagan at LB, he played great against both Arsenal and Everton away and deserves to keep his spot IMO.
I have to agree the lad needs to be given a chance of a run, that will build him up and maybe he will develop into a good Left Back.

This is one of the match up's I look out and I am glad I am off for this game over the years there have been some great games with them, hopefully we can get a win, they may have spent loads but they are not playing too well at the moment. Let's take advantage from this and get a win. The draw would not be that bad either.

El Cuchillero

Més que un pedantic shit.
It's been one of these weekends, when the seven days until the next game will seem like a lifetime. It's only Monday.

I would like to see Kelly and/or Agger come in for Johnson and Skrtel, but of course I'd be reluctant to make too many changes, especially with the necessary shuffle in the midfield. With that in mind, I'd bring in Agger for Skrtel, even though Johnson really doesn't deserve to keep his place after the last handful of games. I'm excited to see a midfield of Lucas, Henderson and Allen, but I feel the team would look more balanced if Luis Alberto (or Iago, possibly) starts ahead of Sterling. I'd go with, then:

-------------------Mignolet-----------------
--Johnson--Sakho--Agger--Flanagan--
--------------------Lucas--------------------
---------Henderson----Allen---------------
----Luis Alberto-----------Coutinho-------
--------------------Suarez-------------------

But I expect we'll see an unchanged team, bar Lucas in for Gerrard. I can't wait for this one. Regardless of Brendan's selection, I think we'll surprise people.

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
I think Carpe Diem has picked the team we would want and expect leaving only the question of who starts at left back to be discussed. He has a point with Agger but there is a strong case for Flanagan too. I personally think we're good enough to beat Spurs but whether we do or not is another matter.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
LFC7NH said:
Anyone know if Vertonghen is out? Saw he didn't play this weekend, is he injured? Good news for us if so.

Bring Lucas in for Stevie, other than that I'd go with an unchanged team from the West Ham Game.

He is/was out with an ankle injury for Sunderland, but it was day to day. Good chance he will be back for Saturday.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Will be hard without Gerrard but I would like to see the other players take their chances, I still expect we have enough about ourselves especially if Coutinho and Suarez are around. It is for some players to take there chance and though we conceded to West ham we did look ok in the 40 minutes Gerrard was off for, creating quite a lot.

It will probably hurt us harder in the Chelsea and especially the City games, in the past I would be crestfallen when Gerrard was out but I think I was more gutted by Coutinho and Sturridge injuries for some reason this season. Not that he doesn't benefit us, I just think there is more to us than Gerrard nowadays.

Plus I also think Coutinho's corners are better, and Suarez will cover our free kicks fine.

Hope Alberto will get some game time.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I know he's done well and everything but Flanagan against Lennon terrifies me (assuming he'll be playing on their right).

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Hope we give a counter attacking master class in this - a Rafaesque performance in fact, but it might be difficult without Dan Sturridge on board. We're going to lose the midfield battle I'm pretty sure, unless we play five across the park, but that would leave Suarez isolated up front and whenever that's been the case he's been much less effective.

Stevie's pull couldn't have come at a worse time.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
To play against Spurs you need to push them back on their Back foot. We don't have speedy Sturridge, so we need more from our midfield. Allen been doing well playing deep and pulling the strings, so why not play him there and let Henderson be the one the presses Spurs player with Alberto. I don't think Lucas will give us much as he is not that quick to pick out Spurs players.

ahmedshishini

Perfect time to return to 3-5-1 against tott,city and chelsea:

Mignolet

skrtl Agger sakho

Johnson Flannagan

Lucas Allen

Hendo Coutinho

Genius

Extra man in midfield + If flanno fails with Lennon sakho can deal with him having 3 at the back. I think its the perfect formation for the upcoming games where we need to close the match and counter attack.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Unsure about how I'd set this one up. Lucas and Allen at the midfield base is a given, but the question is what to do with Coutinho and Henderson. And Sterling for that matter. Henderson in the middle or on the left to help our full back against Walker-Townsend/Lamela? I'm not sure I'd be comfortable having Coutinho there; possibly better to have him in front of our midfield to link up with Suarez. And do we keep Flanagan in the team? He hasn't done anything wrong, but with Townsend's raw pace and ability 1 v 1...I don't know.

Would also be tempted to use Alberto, to see if he can help us keep the ball for periods of the game. Not sure who he would replace though.

Assuming we keep the back four as intact as possible I think I'd end up with something like this:

Johnson Skrtel Sakho Agger​
Sterling Lucas Allen Henderson​
Coutinho​
Suarez​
Or we go with a midfield three: Lucas holding, Henderson and Allen box to box, Sterling right and Coutinho left.

Edit: Would also be tempted to give Alberto a start, to help us keep the ball more and maybe control the game better.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
A massive rival for a top 4 place so we don't wanna be losing this game, would take a draw now. Want to see DAgger in the side but definately not at our awesome African's expense, would stick with our Slovak despite his liking for sticking the ball in his own net. Massive games needed from Allen, Lucas and Hendo and i expect them to rise to the occasion in the captain's absence and do us proud. Can see a 2-1 win for our beloved Redmen.

My team would be:

..............................................Mignolet.....................................
Johnson....................Skrtel....................Sahko.................DAgger
...............................................Lucas.............................................
................................Allen.....................Henderson......................
......Sterling.......................................................................Coutinho..
...............................................Genius................................................

TheSweetSilverSong

ahmedshishini said:
Perfect time to return to 3-5-1 against tott,city and chelsea:

Mignolet

skrtl Agger sakho

Johnson Flannagan

Lucas Allen

Hendo Coutinho

Genius

Extra man in midfield + If flanno fails with Lennon sakho can deal with him having 3 at the back. I think its the perfect formation for the upcoming games where we need to close the match and counter attack.
3-5-1?? That's new :p

I think 3-5-2 or 3-4-1-1 were used to accommodate both Suarez and Sturridge up front, I think it's safe to assume there's no going back to 3 at the back while we have 1 striker..

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
I'm pretty sure Coutinho will remain centrally behind Suarez while Sturridge is not fit (or if Aspas suddenly rises).

With Gerrard out of the side and Philippe on the left side we'd lack some serious creativity through the middle.

ahmedshishini

TheSweetSilverSong said:
3-5-1?? That's new :p

I think 3-5-2 or 3-4-1-1 were used to accommodate both Suarez and Sturridge up front, I think it's safe to assume there's no going back to 3 at the back while we have 1 striker..
Yes, you're right I meant 3-4-1-1 :p

LFC7NH

SirBillShankly said:
A massive rival for a top 4 place so we don't wanna be losing this game, would take a draw now. Want to see DAgger in the side but definately not at our awesome African's expense, would stick with our Slovak despite his liking for sticking the ball in his own net. Massive games needed from Allen, Lucas and Hendo and i expect them to rise to the occasion in the captain's absence and do us proud. Can see a 2-1 win for our beloved Redmen.

My team would be:

..............................................Mignolet.....................................
Johnson....................Skrtel....................Sahko.................DAgger
...............................................Lucas.............................................
................................Allen.....................Henderson......................
......Sterling.......................................................................Coutinho..
...............................................Genius................................................
To be fair, DAgger on the wing would be an upgrade over Moses... lol

LFC7NH

Just heard Henderson was in the hospital and is now in a plastic walking boot?! Any confirmation on this?

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
good defense, and keep the ball with suarez...
we might have some upperhand given the fact that spurs are playing on thrusday against anzhi....
will be happy with a victory only... high time we fired!

koptician

We'll go again!
ILLOK said:
I know he's done well and everything but Flanagan against Lennon terrifies me (assuming he'll be playing on their right).
If that terrifies you then Cissokho or Agger vs Lennon will kill you dead! Flanno is our best bet and he'll need help from whoever is playing ahead of him

bes

If Hendo is out we have no speedy person to help Flanno on our left....

I'd go 3 at the back for December. We'll accomodate Agger which is a bonus + to be fair it'd put an extra man in midfield to counter theres. When we push we just have to hope Genius continues his recent form which is likely. We'd be playing extremely defensive though, which we have to against the likes of City/Chelsea/TOtt

Skrtel Agger Sakho
----Lucas --Allen
Glen----Coutinho-- Flanno
Magic Imp/Aspas or throw in Moses in the midfield.. Eeek

NZred

The Red From NZ
This is our litmus test.

Can we show we deserve our current position and it isn't just down to our somewhat easy fixture list for the first 15 matches? Or is our position a false dawn and we'll fall back into the pack over the coming month?

For mine 1 win and 2 draws against City, Chelsea and Spurs should be realistic. even 2 wins and a loss would be better. 2 wins and a draw would be pushing it. 3 wins is dreaming.

More likely though, 3 losses.

Mr v

need to keep them quiet for first 35-45 seconds then their wonderful fans will run out of patience and start moaning. Been away to the lane twice and they are not a positive set of supporters at all. They make the blue shite fans look positively chipper. Would take a draw but would love 3 pts just to put some more pressure on the walking vuvuzela that is their manager. REDS!!

kopite1982

Absolutely no chance of getting even a point here. A midfield of sandro, dembele, paulinhio against hendo, allen & lucas? Lucas aint played last 2, allen has only started 3 or so games and henderson still looks like a headless chicken and cant for the life of him shoot. Id be made up with a point, but considering we look like conceding every game, poor away form, no sturridge, no gerrard, im goin for a 3-0 spurs win.

Status
Not open for further replies.