• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Pre Match: Stoke Vs. Liverpool - Sunday 12th Jan, 4:10 pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
Tough game this. They battered us last season 3-1. We beat them 1-0 at Anfield in the beginning of the season however, they did miss a penalty in the last few minutes of that game.

Sakho, Allen, Sturridge, Flannagan and Enrique are still injured and will probably miss this game. Agger also seems doubtful.

Problems at the back for us.

However, Gerrard is back which is a positive.

Hopefully we'll build on our successive 2-0 wins over hull and Oldham and maintain our push for the top 4.

For Stoke, Huth and Ireland are doubtful. Sorenson is probably out as well but that's not really a worry for them with young Jack butland impressing against Leicester

Don't know what sort of clause we put in for Assaidi and whether he'd be eligible to play or not but with him not playing they'll probably play Arnautovic on the left side.

A couple of things that worry me is how good they are in the air which is a potential weakness for us and their tendency to exploit the wings and play wide could also trouble us with Johnson not playing well and our first and second choice left backs both injured.

OhYaBeauty

Uberkoen said:
For Stoke, Huth and Ireland are doubtful. Sorenson is probably out as well but that's not really a worry for them with young Jack butland impressing against Leicester

Don't know what sort of clause we put in for Assaidi and whether he'd be eligible to play or not but with him not playing they'll probably play Arnautovic on the left side.

A couple of things that worry me is how good they are in the air which is a potential weakness for us and their tendency to exploit the wings and play wide could also trouble us with Johnson not playing well and our first and second choice left backs both injured.
Assaidi can't play against us no matter what clause is in his contract. Loaned players can't play against their parent clubs in the Premier League. That takes away one of their most potent attacking threats in recent weeks. Although they're reputedly strong in the air, I really don't see them being that dangerous to us in that area (given Huth is out). Especially with a Toure-Skrtel defensive partnership, we should have a fair chance of handling them.

Real question is whether or not our midfield can hold up despite all the injuries to the point where they can possess the ball for long enough to deny Stoke chances while giving Suarez, Sterling and co enough chances to win it. I reckon they can.

Mignolet​
Kelly Skrtel Toure Johnson​
Gerrard Lucas​
Henderson​
Sterling Suarez Coutinho​
would be my team and I reckon Brendan's as well. Might be some difference in our defensive set up (i.e. Brendan might play Smith at left back or find another fullback) but I reckon the rest of the team is rather straight forward so long as we don't have anybody return from injury.

Edit: would prefer to see a 1-2 midfield with Gerrard and Henderson ahead of Lucas but doubt it will happen for reasons owing to our captain's style of play.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Mignolet, Johnson, Toure, Sktrel, Cissohko, Henderson, Lucas, Gerrard, Coutinho, Suarez, Sterling.

Very tough game. A win would be quality and would set us up for two home fixtures against Villa and Everton.

Stoke still have the Pulis characteristics and while Hughes might maintain they play an expansive game they will sit and frustrate in typical stoke fashion.

Gerrard should be fully fit and hopefully he can play that killer pass to Luis and we can snatch an all important away win. If we want Top four we need to start winning away again.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Stoke dangerous in the air?

Do they have Crouch playing up front for them still?

Since their return to the PL we have never won away at Stoke City in the league. 3 losses and 2 draws. That is a very poor record and one I hope we change next Sunday. Sturridge should hopefully be fit enough to be on the bench and hopefully the Agger's injury is not too bad.

I'd go with the following team:

Mignolet
Johnson Toure Skrtel Cissokho
Gerrard Lucas
Sterling Hendo Coutinho
Suarez​

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Semmy said:
Stoke dangerous in the air?

Do they have Crouch playing up front for them still?
crouch and walters usually their attacking threat. And that nutter they signed from Bundelisga as well.

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
OhYaBeauty said:
Mignolet​
Kelly Skrtel Toure Johnson​
Gerrard Lucas​
Henderson​
Seems the most practical, and should be more than good enough.
Seriously hope Cissokho gets dumped.

soberphobia

Every combination so far has Gerrard and Lucas in the same midfield and that as a combination always makes me nervous. I doubt we could pick a better midfield and that in itself is a concern. Until we sign new players or get others back from injury then we are just too thin in midfield.

TheSweetSilverSong

I'm very worried about this game, our away form is not the best (Spurs was a very pleasing exception), and it's a team we haven't beaten away as mentioned.

That said, the same factors were worrying me vs Spurs away, but the team proved that traditions are made to be broken (even though they didn't do so vs the Chelsea home tradition - the Mourinho one - and the "not lose back to back games since Rodgers" thingy we had).

As you can see, rather confused about what to expect. Both teams have significant areas missing their starting players, and I think it's more damage to them than to us - they are missing the reason we didn't batter them at home in the first game (Begovic), and they are missing their hitman CB as well as their most dangerous player (who's ours and who couldn't start for us, and that says it all about which is the better team).

I like OhYaBeauty's team, think it's the one Rodgers will pick too (unless Agger is miraculously ok).

In the end, it all comes down to whether we perform (and it's what I said before the Spurs game as well).

Let's win this!!

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
WellRedKev said:
crouch and walters usually their attacking threat. And that nutter they signed from Bundelisga as well.
That's Stoke under Pulis. This is Stoke under Hughes and he thinks he is making them play football. Their biggest threat to us is our own player as said by ILLOK. It all depends on which team turns up for us that day. If the team that played against Spurs and City plays against Stoke, they will be torn to shred. If it's the first half against Chelsea team, we will have to bite our nails the whole 90 minutes.

LFCLV

TIA Youth Team
liverpool_singh said:
Since their return to the PL we have never won away at Stoke City in the league. 3 losses and 2 draws. That is a very poor record and one I hope we change next Sunday. Sturridge should hopefully be fit enough to be on the bench and hopefully the Agger's injury is not too bad.

I'd go with the following team:

Mignolet
Johnson Toure Skrtel Cissokho
Gerrard Lucas
Sterling Hendo Coutinho
Suarez​
Gerrard-Lucas in midfield :( we are doomed. Hope that Suarez comes off the pitch in one piece and scores the winning goal.

rab

Seems to be our bogey team away from home. However they are down to their third choice keeper and Butland is definitely a step down from Begovic.

They are also missing Huth which is a joy as that guy is king thug in a team built of thugs. Assaidi won't be able to play and he's been a bright spot for them recently so that's another bonus for us. Nice to see him taking points off Chelsea and Everton for us too, good old agent Assaidi. They don't score many which isn't surprising considering their only forwards are Crouch and Kenwyne Jones and Walters hasn't been scoring as often as usual.

They are however pretty solid at home having only lost once all season to Norwich of all teams. Man City, Chelsea and Everton have all dropped points at the Britannia so far this season so it'll be no easy game that's for sure. We've not been great away from home only picking up 12 points from a possible 30. We've played a lot of the big boys away from home already so we need to start picking up points on our travels to the clubs further down the table if we're to really challenge for the top four.

Wish we'd had a Fernando or M'Vila lined up to arrive January 1st as this is exactly the type of game you want players like that for.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
ILLOK said:
Their best player is ineligible

We'll win this. 3-0
Seriously? 3-0?

You do realise they have only lost one home game this season & their record on their own patch is the Premier League's best outside the top six.

Never easy there & I'll take any win... I saw similar predictions before we went to Hull.

Superior Complex

I do think we should be fine, Begovic is like superman he has saved them so many times ! With him and Ousama out I'm quite pleased and this isn't Pulis Stoke they do try to play some sort of football.

Getting the balls to the wings is the vital key, as usual. But I think we can win this even in the centre of the park.

Might be tricky but it should be a comfortable W for us.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
We may have only won this 1-0 last game but that was without Suarez and i think without Begovic he could get a few here this time. With the possibility of DS being back, maybe being subbed on late in the game we can have a good go at these. The teams mentioned above are just about our only possible ones if Agger is out so no point me putting another team on here. One thing i am glad about is Huth is out, with refs looking the other way with Suarez he could well have damaged our season by going out and breaking Suarez leg.

Zoran

I'd go:
Mignolet​
Johnson Skrtel Agger Cissokho​
Gerrard Lucas Henderson​
Subs: Jones, Toure, Kelly, Alberto, Moses, Aspas, Sturridge.​
If Agger's injured then obviously Toure comes in. I'd stick with Aly until Flanno returns in the next game or two, hope that he keeps solid defensively as that already is a bonus. Keep it tight, play simple and don't let Walters bully you.

Rest of the team picks itself really, we don't have anything better than that at the moment.

Sturridge should (hopefully) be fit to make the bench. I'd love to drop Moses and send him back to Chelsea, give one of the youngsters a place there.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
There has been a lot of talk about not being able to play two LCBs since we bought Sakho, and there may be a hint of truth to it since we have yet to play Sakho and Agger paired at CB. Anyone worried that we will now need to pair our two RCBs together with Agger looking like he is out injured? Something to keep an eye on at least during the game. Tough game, but I am calling a 2-1 scoreline with Suarez scoring the first and Sturridge coming of the bench to score the winner.

lovepool

jgw_geneseo said:
There has been a lot of talk about not being able to play two LCBs since we bought Sakho, and there may be a hint of truth to it since we have yet to play Sakho and Agger paired at CB. Anyone worried that we will now need to pair our two RCBs together with Agger looking like he is out injured? Something to keep an eye on at least during the game. Tough game, but I am calling a 2-1 scoreline with Suarez scoring the first and Sturridge coming of the bench to score the winner.
No not worried at all Toure and Skrtel played together at Hull..... get well quick Agger

RMP

TIA First Team
I really think Stoke are one of the harder teams to beat away from home. They've lost just one match at home and did well against City, Chelsea and Everton. They will be without Begovic and Assaidi but it will still be a difficult trip. I think our eleven pretty much pick itself if Agger is fit so I'll go with the same line up as Zoran. We are gettig better defensively so I'll go with another 2 nil victory.

cw37

They play a bit more football now than what they did under their previous manager which probably suits us. I do think it will be a tough game. In the past i have predicted draws when we have been playing Stoke away. Now we have moved up a level i am saying we will win 2-1. Hopefully we will not pick up any more injuries.

kopite1982

Absolutely massive game. Slip up & we find ourselves behind everton and spurs and slip to 6th as both the above have easy home games. Our heads will be down then & we will be playing catch up. Must,must win game.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
My pick ....and ideally with the 1-2 midfield set-up , with Gerrard in the "2".

Mignolet​
Kelly Skrtel Agger Cissokho​
Lucas​
Hendo Gerrard​
IMO, Lucas-Gerrard playing in a proper 1-2 vs the 2-1 set-up is night-and-day difference. If we play split CB's and Lucas mopping-up (and hopefully passing to great effect) in-between ...and thus have a full-on 5 man attack, I'd struggle to see how Stoke could contain that myself.

The team (or more the attacking line) is very settled. Our most recent style seems to be more based on patience and possession and being fairly careful for prolonged periods ...and then just really stepping-up a gear or two in attack for 10 minutes or-so now and then, when the time is right.

I do like the more patient angle myself aka keep the ball for a bit and thus nullify the opponent ...but also always look for certain moments to fully unleash our attack, which looks very potent. I'd go with a 2-0 away win, hopefully.

Bobbinho

This upcoming fixture is partly i believe the reason why there is a little anxiety creeping in concerning incoming transfers.....we are tentatively poised in 4th place with little daylight between us Spurs & Everton, personally i would feel a lot more confident about this one had we someone like M'Villa sitting in front of our backline, like most people i get slightly worried when i see Lucas & Gerrard together, usually that combo leaves us a little compromised going forward & at times vulnerable on the counter.

It will be a tough game & we do have one too many injuries to be confident of a result, Stoke have a good home record as well & will be difficult to break down, some positives though for me are that Gerrard will be back to near full fitness, Kelly also will strip a lot fitter after his 90mins & of course having Sturridge back on the bench will be a welcome sight & hopefully a good option to bring on if we need him.

As has been said already this game is a must, must win, more pressure on games like these than against the bigger teams as we have little room for error, this half of the season will build in intensity & we must collect max points here if we want to keep up our momentum, plus IF we do want to attract a few quality signings...then we will need to show that we are worthy of our place in the table.

I'd go for -

------------------------------------------------Mignolet--------------------------------------------------

Kelly---------------------Toure--------------------------Skrtel---------------------------Cissokho

---------------------------Gerrard---------------------Lucas-----------------------------------------

----------Sterling--------------------------Henderson---------------------------Coutinho---------

-----------------------------------------------Suarez---------------------------------------------------

bes

Same XI as City/Chelsea

Ease sturridge in for Cou in the second half if hes deemed fit enough. Also Begovic is out?????????????????????????? that jerk is the sole reason why Stoke do well against us srs. Was hoping we got him in the summer just so we didnt have to face him lol.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin

I'm assuming Agger will be fit, as the only word I've heard on the injury is that it was cramp?

The midfield three will inevitably be Hendo, Gerrard and Lucas - the question is how we line up, and I hope we see Lucas behind a more advanced Gerrard and Hendo. It just seems to work better that way.

Would love to see Sturridge get 20mins.

So glad Begovic is out - he's the best keeper in the premier league for me. I really wanted us to sign him, and after we got Mignolet I thought it was nailed on that he would go to Arsenal. Arsenal with a keeper would be a seriously scary proposition.

Fancy us in this - Stoke at home should be a bit more adventurous, which should leave space. But, as always, any kind of win...

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Was just about to do my team, but it's the same as Mascot's so no point.

I hate this fixture, don't like the thought of the likes of Huth and Shawcross battering Genius, hopefully we will nick a win, don't want another defeat, too many of those recently.Shame Assaidi can't play for us cos Raheem and Coutinho's finishing is currently diabolical.

LFC7NH

SirBillShankly said:
Was just about to do my team, but it's the same as Mascot's so no point.

I hate this fixture, don't like the thought of the likes of Huth and Shawcross battering Genius, hopefully we will nick a win, don't want another defeat, too many of those recently.Shame Assaidi can't play for us cos Raheem and Coutinho's finishing is currently diabolical.
Heard Huth is out, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.