Pre Match: Sunderland vs LFC; Sunday 29/09/13; 16.00 BST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
VS.
Venue: Stadium of Light, Sunderland
(capacity: 49'000 seats)

Next game to the league's worst team so far in this new season, sitting at the bottom with just one point.

The players have just managed to get rid of Di Canio however, and have won their first game under interim manager Kevin Ball, beating Petersborough 2-0 in the League Cup.

So, they will be very motivated to do well, and I'd have obviously preferred for them to wait sacking Di Canio until we played them. It will now be a much more difficult proposition, and given our poor run of late, we'll have to up our game big time if we want to take the three points there.

If we manage to be as comitted as against the mancs, we still have a good chance though to win this, especially with Luis back now. The goals will come flowing eventually, hopefully it will be as soon as this coming Sunday. Fingers crossed!

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
I want to see the effort and set up to get three points, then the result won't matter to me.

Once that happens and we hopefully get three points I want to see the whole unit talk about nothing but the next game, no great runs, no possibly maybes, just the next game.

Then I want to see the same effort applied again and again and again until I trust this team and this manager.

I know that sounds harsh to some, but I invested a lot of faith in Rodgers in the summer and I really don't care about the points total at the moment, just about additive and ambition.

Utd was a pest to me, a lose lose situation I explained in the thread.

I need to see ambition, not the fruits of our labour, but our labour.

Walter Sobchak

Sunderland have been shite so far this season. No matter if Di Canio is out and new management might mean renewed vigor: I expect us to thoroughly twat these poor sods. Anything but a convincing win is unacceptable.

Wouldn't mind more or less the same line up as against the scum yesterday. Except, I'd like to see Alberto in there, and maybe let captain fantastic rest a bit and hopefully get his mojo back. I can't see anyone else than Alberto being able to link up our attack now that Coutinho is out. Let the lad get a chance. I mean, bar Kolo and Sakho, we couldn't have possibly bought all these players for the 2016 season?

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Mignolet​
Toure Skrtel Agger​
Henderson Gerrard Lucas Enrique​
Suarez Sturridge Moses​
Subs: Jones, Sakho, Kelly, Allen, Alberto, Sterling, Aspas.​
Or put Moses behind the front 2 again, or maybe even start someone like Allen (if he can) or Alberto instead of Victor.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I would move Henderson out and put Kelly in there Zoky. That would do just fine for us and be a pretty attacking unit. Since we are so damn good at getting goals in the first half, we get off the block running, hit Sunderland quickly and get a couple of goals (possible, now that Suarez is back). Hitting midway through second half we move Sturridge out for Henderson. Revert to 5 men midfield.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
I am going to select a side that many here will ridicule, i know it is not going to happen, but, do we need to change things in the centre of the side?? Answer, most definately, so i would rest the the sloppy/slow /knackered after a hour for some bizarre reason Lucas and play ilori in his place and re-introduce Allen.We need ilori's pace, energy, height in the side. I would also stick with the 3 centre backs as all three are quality and i think Henderson and Enrique have the energy and fitness to play as wing-backs.

............................................Mignolet......................
.......................Toure.............DAgger..............Sahko
Henderson....................................................................Enrique
................................................ilori.......................................
........................Gerrard...........................Allen......................
....................Suarez......................................Sturridge................

We really need to win this one otherwise our confidence will take a severe blow and i think we will.I predict a clean sheet and a 0-2 win to the Redmen.

sanjaya

We cannot go with a formation as defensive as 5-3-2 and hope to win - even against Sunderland. Need to play 4-2-3-1 with Kelly at right back and Sterling in place of Henderson. Need to put in our creative players.

alphakilo

TIA Regular
If we go 3 at the back again, I don't see the need to change the immobile Gerrard/Lucas pairing. However, I was a bit underwhelmed by Moses' performance behind the strikers, though granted he was playing out of position. I think we could try playing Gerrard there, especially given the added cover in defense.

Mignolet​
Toure Skrtel Sakho​
Kelly Henderson Lucas Enrique​
Gerrard​
Sturridge Suarez​

The potential weakness to that lineup is Kelly, seeing as he's still not fully fit and it's doubtful whether he can put in lungbusting runs up and down the flank. I think we should have Ilori as backup to him.

MikeOscar

Klopp Klopp
Absolute must win game this, no excuses are acceptable. Referee, injuries, illness... I don't care, as long as we win it. A good performance to go along with the win would be an added bonus, but we need stop the negative momentum we're building.

Like most others, I'd be happy with a 3-5-2 formation. I'd consider benching either Moses or Sturridige (Partially due to his fitness/injury) in order to have a real threat coming off the bench after 60 minutes.

Knowing us we will screw this over and gift Sunderland their first win of the season. Not even going to bother putting out my preferred line up. Just want the 3 points.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
If Kelly is ready enough for a start and play at least an hour then I'd be tempted to start him and play Jordan centrally.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
-------------Mignolet---------------
--Kelly--Toure--Sakho--Enrique
---------------Lucas---------------
--------Hendo---Gerrard---------
Suarez---Sturridge---Moses--

If Kelly isn't fit, then move Toure to right back and bring in Skrtel.

A battering please. These are a shambles.

Lucas

This is a good game to experiment again with 3 at the back.

I'd like to see some variant of Toure/Skrtel/Sakho or Toure/Skrtel/Agger depending on fitness. I have completely turned around on Skrtel, after saying he is a worry, judging by the last few games it's easy to argue he's been our best defender, and certainly deserves to be in the side.

For the midfield I think it's time Stevie got a rest, hes been under par and seems to tire in the last 45 now. Hopefully Allen will be fit, and I'd like to see him played further forward, as he's showed lots of promise there, i.e. pre-season, substitute appearances etc.

The front lot sort themselves, although Sturridge's apparent lack of energy is a worry.

TheSweetSilverSong

I'd like to see a 4-3-3 here. One of the things I liked vs Utd was Kolo in DM after Lucas was subbed, and I feel it's the answer to Lucas' fatigue after the 60-minute mark. There are games were we'll need to start with Lucas and sub Kolo in his place around the 60th, and games where we can even start with Kolo there and then Lucas for him in second half.
At the back, I'd expect the Agger-Sakho partnership to find its birth in this game (unless Agger won't be fit yet), as (like I stressed in past threads) I feel Sakho needs a mentor/leader and Skrtel (although solid at the back) is not that - and Agger is.
Kelly and Enrique at fullbacks and Mignolet picks self.
For the creative midfield, I'd stick to Gerrard and see how his game would be affected if he'd start with Toure by his side instead of Lucas (thus possibly a higher line, if Sakho-Agger are the CB duo), we might see positive effects on that, and for the attacking 4 I'd put Suarez right off Sturridge (these two need a few games to click together, and this game might help their confidence too if they score), with Sterling on the right and Moses on the left. I know that the idea behind Moses in AM vs Utd was to have him drop back and defend as well, but in my view it took a lot from his attacking strengths and he is not the creator suited for that slot.
With Moses on the left, Sterling on the right, and Suarez right off Sturridge, our attack will be fluid enough and far less unpredictable, with possibility to threaten from any side of the pitch, not allowing the opposition to concentrate on a single side of danger.

-----------------Sturridge----------------
-------------------Suarez-----------------
Moses---------------------------Sterling
------------------Gerrard-----------------
---------------------Toure-----------------
---Enrique----------------------Kelly----
--------------Sakho----Agger-----------
-----------------Mignolet-----------------

Sound as a Pound

TIA Midfield General
If agger is fit, then I'd bench him, he needs to prove his worth to the team, rather than automatically coming right back in, the 3 currently - Toure, Sakho and Skrtel have done well and deserve to stay in the team, also I wouldnt try that 4 cb's thing too!

ptt

2020, head of the table.
TheSweetSilverSong said:
I'd like to see a 4-3-3 here. One of the things I liked vs Utd was Kolo in DM after Lucas was subbed, and I feel it's the answer to Lucas' fatigue after the 60-minute mark. There are games were we'll need to start with Lucas and sub Kolo in his place around the 60th, and games where we can even start with Kolo there and then Lucas for him in second half.
At the back, I'd expect the Agger-Sakho partnership to find its birth in this game (unless Agger won't be fit yet), as (like I stressed in past threads) I feel Sakho needs a mentor/leader and Skrtel (although solid at the back) is not that - and Agger is.
For the creative midfield, I'd stick to Gerrard and see how his game would be affected if he'd start with Toure by his side instead of Lucas (thus possibly a higher line, if Sakho-Agger are the CB duo), we might see positive effects on that, and for the attacking 4 I'd put Suarez right off Sturridge (these two need a few games to click together, and this game might help their confidence too if they score), with Sterling on the right and Moses on the left. I know that the idea behind Moses in AM vs Utd was to have him drop back and defend as well, but in my view it took a lot from his attacking strengths and he is not the creator suited for that slot.
With Moses on the left, Sterling on the right, and Suarez right off Sturridge, our attack will be fluid enough and far less unpredictable, with possibility to threaten from any side of the pitch, not allowing the opposition to concentrate on a single side of danger.

I like the look of this team and well reasoned. I'd just wander about starting Sterling. He's not had a good time of late and whilst we don't have a plethora of right wingers, I'd still rather Hendo starts there. He can cover most positions on the pitch incase of injury or "September Exhaustion" with Sterling coming on to run at them at 60mins. Just hope Kelly's fit and Jose's booked the family brain cell.

yiannos33

Believe
Anything but a win and we are back to mid-table team.
These are the games we should be putting away 1st half,if we want to be
top four team again.

hab88

TIA Reserve Team
Sunderland have been utterly shambolic this season, so I hope we take a go at them with what we've got. If the boss feels Sturridge or Stevie needs a rest, he should bench both of them and put Henderson and Suarez in the middle. Give young Alberto a chance to play in the hole. I like the fact that he always looks for the forward pass with his head up, and if Aspas has been given his chance, its only fair that Alberto be given a fair crack of the whip.

And I must emphasize the importance of the 3 points. We've dropped 5 points from the last 6 in the league. We should've had all 6 which is a pity but we cant afford to lose games like Sunderland away if we're going to have a chance of getting anywhere near the top 4. In fact, seeing that we have Palace at home and the Newcastle away, I have to say i'd be disappointed and worried if we didn't get 9 out of 9.

Last year Brendan did get the team to respond well after a bad result, and I hope we can do the same on sunday. Come on you Redmen!

koptician

We'll go again!
redbj said:
I want to see the effort and set up to get three points, then the result won't matter to me.

Once that happens and we hopefully get three points I want to see the whole unit talk about nothing but the next game, no great runs, no possibly maybes, just the next game.

Then I want to see the same effort applied again and again and again until I trust this team and this manager.

I know that sounds harsh to some, but I invested a lot of faith in Rodgers in the summer and I really don't care about the points total at the moment, just about additive and ambition.

Utd was a pest to me, a lose lose situation I explained in the thread.

I need to see ambition, not the fruits of our labour, but our labour.
You have captured EXACTLY how I feel at the moment. Especially the bit about keeping schtum about runs and positions

TheSweetSilverSong

ptt said:
I like the look of this team and well reasoned. I'd just wander about starting Sterling. He's not had a good time of late and whilst we don't have a plethora of right wingers, I'd still rather Hendo starts there. He can cover most positions on the pitch incase of injury or "September Exhaustion" with Sterling coming on to run at them at 60mins. Just hope Kelly's fit and Jose's booked the family brain cell.
Cheers mate :)

I don't disagree that Sterling could do better that he currently does, nor with the argument that Henderson is more in form currently, but for the following reasons I'd disagree with your alternative:
Sterling provides threat from a flank, because he's the kind of player that takes the ball to his opponent and forces him to deal with his pace and dribbling. Even when not at his best, he provides a threat with the type of player that he is.
While Henderson is more in form right now, he still can't provide that.
I would be fine with Henderson deployed at RW if he had an attacking fullback behind him (Johnson) to adopt the flanking duties, for Henderson to cut inside and flood the midfield. But with Johnson out, and the alternatives not being types of players that can be a threat on their own from the flank, Henderson does not cause a threat - he can cut inside still and provide outnumbering in the middle, but he can't beat his opponent on the right (nor should he be expected to) and thus would make the right side a no-threat area.
This would give the opposition more concentration on the middle and left areas, which they would thus be able to counter more efficiently.
This also would make us more predictable, as we would have to attack either from the left or through the middle. With Sterling on the right it's much harder to prepare, as we could attack from either the left, the right, or the middle.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Yes Sunderland have been pathetic but a new manager and a win in the CC will boost them a lot. We will be the first club to face the "new" Sunderland.It would be foolish to under estimate them.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Mascot88 said:
----------Kolo----------
Kolo-Kolo-Kolo-Kolo
-------Kolo-Kolo-------
---Kolo--Kolo--Kolo---
-----------Kolo-----------

Too soon?
I would go with a 5-3-2 formation. i want 5 Kolos in my defence ;)

TheSweetSilverSong

Mascot88 said:
----------Kolo----------
Kolo-Kolo-Kolo-Kolo
-------Kolo-Kolo-------
---Kolo--Kolo--Kolo---
-----------Kolo-----------

Too soon?
Loving that! But keeper??? :p
But on the other hand, wouldn't be a "team full of Kolos" otherwise, would it :lol:

Watchman

I 'm not bright enough to analyse systems and tactics but one thing has been clear to me since early last season and that is that Gerrard is played far too deep. I don't care if he sees himself as a sort of Pirlo character in his declining years, he is one of our few proven goal threats and a chance maker. He's got to be played in dangerous areas for the opposition. Forget bombing all over the pitch, he's too old for that. Use his gift for finding space, his shooting and his experience to punish teams. He won't hurt anyone playing passes on the halfway line. Rafa had him right mid and he was great. Time to move central and attack!

shootscore

Mignolet

Kelly Skrtel Toure Enrique

Henderson Allen

Alberto

Suarez Sturridge Moses

Keep both Gerrard and Lucas as options, Gerrard maybe to replace Alberto mid-2nd half (depending), Lucas as a sub option for either Henderson or Allen (or to start if Allen's not match fit).
Toure to captain.

Bewal

We have to be bossing this for the full 90 mins if we are going to keep up with the champions league contenders. Both arsenal and spurs have decent points already banked and I think we need the confidence you get from a good win. City showed they still have the potential to smash anyone and do we really think we will finish above united and Chelsea. I don't see why not but I'd like to be reminded on Sunday.

Mingolet
Kelly toure agger Enrique
Lucas Henderson
Moses gerrard aspas
Suarez

Sturridge Alberto Allen sterling sakho jones

Plenty of decent options on the bench. Missing Johnson though, I know he sometimes get stick but there is a reason rafa paid 17 million for him, which sounds crazy when you think about it. He is a threat in every game he plays and the opposition have to factor that in meaning more space for the others.

5-1

Clive

TheSweetSilverSong said:

Well, this line up would debunk a few myths:
Two left footers can't play together in central defence
Lucas is the only DM we have
Glenn Johnson is the only RB we have :)