• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre-Match: Swansea (A); Monday 16/09/2013; 20:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

A True Red From NZ

Still over a week to go but there's been plenty of talk in other threads about our formation for the upcoming game against Swansea.

New signings Victor Moses, Tiago Ilori, and Mamadou Sakho are all in contention for their first appearances as Liverpool players, although there is no certainty they'll be in the first XI for this game.
Meanwhile, Martin Skrtel remains at the club following a stellar performance in the home win against Manchester United last weekend.

Suarez is still serving his suspension, and Kolo Toure is still a doubt for the upcoming game.
Daniel Sturridge returned back to Liverpool from International duty with England, another doubt for the game in Wales. Rodgers will be hoping Hodgson does not pick him when he returns to the England camp later in the week.
Glen Johnson is another doubt for the game, the extent of his injury is still to be confirmed, although at this point in time it seems safe to say he'll be unavailable.

Formation
Plenty of talk surrounds the potential use of the 3-5-2 system, or 5-3-2 depending on how you look at it.
With the addition of Sakho, and Skrtel retained at the club, there is a surplus of central defenders at the club all looking for first team game time. If Toure is unavailable, "marquee signing" Sakho will surely be involved.
However, with Johnson injured, there is the question of who to play at RB (or RM).
Last time Skrtel played at RB he got red carded in a difficult duel with new Real Madrid signing Gareth Bale. Sakho is a left sided defender, as is fellow new signing Aly Cissokho, so it appears unlikely either will fill in at RB.
Martin Kelly has had very little game time since suffering injury last year, however Andre Wisdom is still at the club, his loan to Wigan failing to get the green light.
Jordan Henderson has proven to be capable of performing as a makeshift right back, and this could be the most likely option.

The rest of the squad picks itself after "a perfect start" to the season.

Mignolet​
Henderson Toure* Agger Sakho Enrique​
Gerrard Lucas Coutinho​
Aspas Sturridge*​
Bench: Jones, Skrtel, Cissokho, Allen, Alberto, Sterling, Moses
or 4-3-3​
Mignolet​
Wisdom Toure* Agger Enrique​
Gerrard Lucas​
Henderson​
Aspas Sturridge* Coutinho​
Bench: Jones, Sakho, Cissokho, Allen, Alberto, Sterling, Moses.

* Assuming they're fit to start.

What line-up do you want to see against Swansea?
A potential banana-skin here, hopefully we can continue our perfect start to the season.

alphakilo

TIA Regular
I have a feeling we'll stick to Agger and Skrtel at CB, with Wisdom at RB. I think Ilori and Sakho were bought with a view to have them cover RB and LB respectively, but two weeks without real game time is probably too short a gelling period, especially for defenders. Since Cissokho and Johnson are out, with Kelly unfit, I'd stick both new signings on the bench though.

A bit nervous about Swansea, especially with the added physical presence of Bony. They may start with just Michu up top though. Either way, I don't think this is a game to put Coutinho in the middle, as we need Henderson closing up the space there. Moses might get a surprise start over Aspas, who hasn't really played wide so far.

Mignolet​
Wisdom Skrtel Agger Enrique​
Gerrard Lucas​
Moses Henderson Coutinho​
Sturridge​

Jones, Ilori, Sakho, Allen, Alberto, Sterling, Aspas

Swansea will probably line up
Vorm​
Rangel Chico Williams Davies​
Canas Britton​
Hernandez DeGuzman Routledge​
Michu​

grooveshark

Banned Users
Sturridge is a big worry, shouldnt be risked against Ukraine, after all, he doesn have a history of thigh muscle injuries.

As for the game, i am a bit cautious on this game. Team is on good form, but Swansea can be unpredictable. Mostly worried about Michu in this, cant shake that feeling that he may well get a goal in this game.

As per usual, go for the first goal and see how it develops.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Not particularly worried about us conceding goals, as I think our defence looks very, very solid.

But I worry that Sturridge won't be well enough for this game. Fingers crossed he can play at 70% like he did against Notts. Bit annoying we're still sort of a one man team again when it comes to scoring goals.

What would the rest of you guys do if he's not ready for Swansea? Play Aspas leading the front line, suppose? Then Hendo on the right?

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Mignolet​
Gerrard Lucas​
Henderson​
Aspas Sturridge Courinho​

Subs: Jones, Sakho, Ilori, Allen, Moses, Sterling, Ibe.

That's if Sturridge doesn't get Hodgson'd

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
DeathOrGlory said:
Not particularly worried about us conceding goals, as I think our defence looks very, very solid.

But I worry that Sturridge won't be well enough for this game. Fingers crossed he can play at 70% like he did against Notts. Bit annoying we're still sort of a one man team again when it comes to scoring goals.

What would the rest of you guys do if he's not ready for Swansea? Play Aspas leading the front line, suppose? Then Hendo on the right?
As Borini is no longer on the bench, there's simply no choice in the matter; he's the only experienced striker we have left.

charmac

Mignolet
Wisdom Skrtel Agger Enrique
Gerrard Lucas
Moses Henderson Coutinho
Sturridge

I like that formation alphakilo, maybe switch Henderson out right to cover Wisdom with Moses and Enrique raiding down the left, looks a very good team that, enough to take Swansea I think.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Ok, it can't be denied that Skrtel did well against the scum but I don't think the boss will select him if he has other options, hence I hope he will put Sahko in at the deep end, i'm fairly sure he will swim.

The team I would like to see is:

...............................Mignolet....................
Wisdom..........Sahko............DAgger.........Enrique
....................Lucas................Gerrard....................
..............................Henderson..............................
Moses.......................................................Coutinho
...............................Sturridge..............................

Think we will will 1-2.

HarryFloyd

TIA First Team
SirBillShankly said:
Ok, it can't be denied that Skrtel did well against the scum but I don't think the boss will select him if he has other options, hence I hope he will put Sahko in at the deep end, i'm fairly sure he will swim.
Skrtel did quite well for Slovakia against the Bosnian attack consisting of Dzeko and Misimovic.

A players self-belief is fairly important.

sanjaya

SirBillShankly said:

The team I would like to see is:

...............................Mignolet....................
Wisdom..........Sahko............DAgger.........Enrique
....................Lucas................Gerrard....................
..............................Henderson..............................
Moses.......................................................Coutinho
...............................Sturridge..............................

Think we will will 1-2.
Sakho is a left sided centre back and so is Agger. Can't see the two plating together.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
sanjaya said:
Sakho is a left sided centre back and so is Agger. Can't see the two plating together.
Ilori is a rightfooted CB who plays LCB.If he can do that on the left,I'm sure Sakho can handle doin it on the right

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
sanjaya said:
DAgger won't be left out and Sahko will play,regardless of both being left-footed.Maybe not for this game, but sooner rather than later, i'm fairly sure we will see them in the same side.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
HarryFloyd said:
Skrtel did quite well for Slovakia against the Bosnian attack consisting of Dzeko and Misimovic.

A players self-belief is fairly important.
Skrtel is a decent defender but not Rodgers ideal centre back, don't think he will be here this time next year.He can do a job but that will more than likely be in a Napoli shirt come January.

artanisknarf

charmac said:
Mignolet​
Gerrard Lucas​
Moses Henderson Coutinho​
Sturridge​

I like that formation alphakilo, maybe switch Henderson out right to cover Wisdom with Moses and Enrique raiding down the left, looks a very good team that, enough to take Swansea I think.
This team. However, if Sturridge is out, either put Aspas on top or Slot Aspas for Moses and put Moses on top.

El Cuchillero

Més que un pedantic shit.
I wish we'd nip that myth in the bud. Many of the most celebrated centre-half partnerships of all time were strictly one-sided. It's such a minimal advantage (that is compensated by an equally minimal disadvantage in other areas) that it's hardly worth discussing.

It's a difficult game to predict. Swansea might not bother showing up; in which case, we'll murder them. We should take the three points regardless, but I dunno, I dunno, especially if Roy breaks Sturridge; I was more confident heading into the first three fixtures. I think it's a really important game for us.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Games after international breaks are almost always sluggish. Gonna say a draw for this.

So some people think Sturridge may not be fit for this game yet others believe he might end up playing against Ukraine (which is a full 6 days earlier than the game against Swansea). So which one is it?

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
I think the strength of Bony and Michu makes Sakho a natural choice for this game.

Mignolet​
Skrtel Sakho Agger​
Henderson Lucas Gerrard Coutinho Ilori​
Aspas Sturridge​

With this formation we would have more industry from the right versus the cultured passing of Coutinho and Ilori from the right. Ilori will also get the opportunity to make use of his speed down the left to provide width (sorry I don't think Enrique is a very good attacker) while his speed will also allow him to get back to help out in defense.

Swansea has been playing 4-2-3-1 and I don't see them getting much from this game if we crowd the midfield and break up their passing game. If they try and attack down the flanks, I'm confident that the back trio of Skrtel, Sakho and Agger will be able to deal with it.

JustHitMyHead said:
I think the strength of Bony and Michu makes Sakho a natural choice for this game.

Mignolet​
Skrtel Sakho Agger​
Aspas Sturridge​

With this formation we would have more industry from the right versus the cultured passing of Coutinho and Ilori from the right. Ilori will also get the opportunity to make use of his speed down the left to provide width (sorry I don't think Enrique is a very good attacker) while his speed will also allow him to get back to help out in defense.

Swansea has been playing 4-2-3-1 and I don't see them getting much from this game if we crowd the midfield and break up their passing game. If they try and attack down the flanks, I'm confident that the back trio of Skrtel, Sakho and Agger will be able to deal with it.
That must be the most unlikely formation to ever feature this season. You do realise Ilori is not a left winger (or even a left back) don't you? Let Swansea worry about us instead of making wholesale changes to a formation which has seen us win 4/4 games this season.

lovepool

At least with the game not being until Monday our international players will have some additional rest. Even though Skrtel played well v Man Utd I would replace him with Toure if the Ivorian is fit. The other change I would make is Moses in for Aspas as I feel he has more pace which can be particularly effective in away matches

charmac

JustHitMyHead said:

Mignolet​
Skrtel Sakho Agger​
Aspas Sturridge​

Can't see Rodgers sending out a team without a recognized full back on either side, I've seen Henderson filling in at right back and doing a good job there but ilori would be a strange one altogether, and I can't understand what Jose Enrique has done wrong to be left out :huh:

Lockhart

liverpool_singh said:
So some people think Sturridge may not be fit for this game yet others believe he might end up playing against Ukraine (which is a full 6 days earlier than the game against Swansea). So which one is it?
Roy Hodgson said the odds arn't favouring Daniel Sturridge making a full recovery in time for the game against Ukraine but then again he also said this: "He injured himself against Notts County and he still played against United. Maybe he can do the same for us".

Personally I'll be pissed if he pushes Sturridge to play through injury. Then again I'm not English.

charmac

Lockhart said:
Roy Hodgson said the odds arn't favouring Daniel Sturridge making a full recovery in time for the game against Ukraine but then again he also said this: "He injured himself against Notts County and he still played against United. Maybe he can do the same for us".

Personally I'll be pissed if he pushes Sturridge to play through injury. Then again I'm not English.

Hodgson doesn't need a semi fit Sturridge he has Welbeck and Lambert, you can imagine the uproar if he plays him and he gets injured

Lockhart

He doesn't have Welbeck. He's suspended for the next game. Lambert and Defoe is what remains.

R

RedRiot

Full week now for Sturridge to try to get back to fitness at Melwood. Hopefully he can make it. This is certainly a 'banana peel' type match, but you don't really know what you're getting with Swansea anymore. Laudrup got a lot of praise for his emphasis on direct play last season, but I think in a lot of ways that has undermined their consistency as a unit. They pretty much went into a nosedive post Carling Cup last year and haven't looked that great in any of their matches thus far. We should have more than enough for them all across the pitch with or without Sturridge, but you never know. This is the one match in our upcoming run of six or so in the league that has me worried.

I don't know what Toure's injury status is, but if he's fit,he should start, otherwise, it's a toss up between Sakho and Skrtel, both of whom would probably do well enough as they will be physically tested and they're both up to that kind of game. I'd rather see Sakho myself, but it would be a bit harsh on Martin to leave him out in favor of someone who has barely trained with us. It happens all the time though, so we'll see.

I don't know what to expect from Swansea anymore in terms of approach, but my guess is that we'll set up to counter unless they don't take the initiative with possession. We're a more exciting team to watch when we play on the counter through Coutinho, but if Aspas is in there, I'm not sure he's the right kind of striker to play that game.

For the rest of the team, it should be as before, with Wisdom in for Johnson and Moses replacing Henderson in the team, and Sterling playing on the right if Aspas plays centrally.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
ChicagoRed said:
Games after international breaks are almost always sluggish. Gonna say a draw for this.
I'm pretty sure that some team is going to win a game among the Premiership round 4 fixtures, why shouldn't it be us? Squad confidence must be high after four straight wins, and that often times is enough to see a team through, even when it's players are a bit fatigued.

Also, I'd imagine that some of the Swansea players aren't looking forward to this game one little bit, after the thrashing we gave them at Anfield last season.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Just heard on the radio that Sturridge is out of the Engerlund game injured.

Excellent news for us, gives him 9 days to get fit.

Lockhart

charmac said:
Love the picture of him being rolled out from the England game last season with the caption: "Out: Sturridge was taken off on a stretcher against Manchester United last weekend". Still having a hard time understanding how that's one of England's most well-read publications. It is spectacularly awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.