• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre Match Thread: Anzhi Makhachkala v Liverpool; 08/11/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rooster

What a hit son
Carra and Coates need to be immense or we are in trouble. Will settle for draw and a miracle if we win.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Jones​

McLaughlin* Carra Coates Robinson​

Henderson Shelvey​

Downing Pacheco Assaidi​

Yesil​

*Flanagan, if fit​

Bench: Gulacsi, Wisdom, Enrique, Coady, Sahin, Cole, Morgan​

Sterling, Suso, Allen, Agger, Johnson, Gerrard and Suarez shouldn't be seen anywhere near the airport. Keep them at home.

Let's see if we can cling on to a draw here; that would pretty much see us through to the knockout stage.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Yesil is obviously a more "classy " player than Morgan but Morgan is a tough little bugger and a good finisher.I would like to see him get a crack at a higher level.

lollysuarez

They will likely water it in the morning before, so it should not be too hard.
I thought owners of that club were billionaires, if they spend a fortune in players, they must have an air conditioned(with roof) pitch, methinks! :rolleyes:

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I thought owners of that club were billionaires, if they spend a fortune in players, they must have an air conditioned(with roof) pitch, methinks! :rolleyes:
For now, they play UEFA games at Lokomotiv's stadium. There are plans to build a new stadium in Dagestan, no idea when.

Play the 2nd team. No need for any of the first team members to travel although because I would prefer Assaidi to start against Chelsea maybe take Suso along.

My team:
Jones​
Flanagan Carra Coates Robinson​
Hendo Suso Shelvey​
Downing Yesil Pacheco​

Bench: Gulacsi, McLaughlin, Sama, Adorjan, Coady, NGoo, Morgan​

FCLIVERPOOL

TIA Reserve Team
If Reina is for get him back in there ready for Sunday. Same with Johnson. Would aldo like to see Pacheco have a run and Morgan. With Reina and GJ I would go
..........................REINA
GJ........CARRA...COATES...ENRIQUE
HENDO.........JONJO.........DOWNING
SUSO.................................PACHCO
....................MORGAN

InFrontOfTheKop

First teamers need not travel. I'm confident ahead of this one. Not quite sure why really.

My team:
Jones​
Wisdom Carragher Coates Downing​

Henderson Shelvey​
Suso​

Pacheco​
Cole Assaidi​

I like the idea of Pacheco playing in the false 9 role with Suso playing in behind him. Difficult to say whether BR will give Cole another run out, especially considering his performance against Swansea. I wouldn't mind seeing him start, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make the squad list either. I say start him on the wing and monitor his performance. If he struggles, bring in Yesil or Morgan and move Pacheco out to the right.

Suso's league performances haven't been spectacular of late IMO, so I wouldn't mind seeing him prove himself a bit in this game. He's a special talent, and there can be no denying that. That being said, he's young, and he hasn't been stellar recently. Let him start this game and see if he's got a goal or two in him against a lesser opponent. That's not to say Anzhi is a bad team, but I certainly like his chances to score in this game than I do against the Chavs.

Henderson is a guaranteed start. IMO he's making a case for himself to break into the first team, especially if Jonjo continues to squander chances like he did against Newcastle... alas. I'd like to see him get more minutes on the weekend. But that's besides the point..

I'm predicting a 0-1 win for the Reds. Hendo to score.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Wouldn't be disappointed if we ended up with a point here with the changes we're going to make. But of course, as in every game hope the kids go out to win.

Anyone knows if Flanagan's fit? I'd like to see him start this one and have Glen back for the weekend.

GratefulRed

TIA Reserve Team
Ad-free Member
Don't send: Skrtel, Agger, Johnson, Gerrard, Allen, Sterling, or Suarez

I'd go with this:

-----------------------Jones------------------------
---Wisdom--Carra-----Coates------Robinson
-----------Henderson---Shelvey------------------
---------------------Pacheco----------------------
---Downing------=Yesil------------Assaidi-----

Bench: Gulasci, Morgan, Sinclair, Wilson, Enrique, Sahin, Suso

1988greatestteam

Wishing for number 6
Jones​

McLaughlin* Carra Coates Robinson​

Henderson Shelvey​

Downing Pacheco Assaidi​

Yesil​

*Flanagan, if fit​

Bench: Gulacsi, Wisdom, Enrique, Coady, Sahin, Cole, Morgan​

Sterling, Suso, Allen, Agger, Johnson, Gerrard and Suarez shouldn't be seen anywhere near the airport. Keep them at home.

Let's see if we can cling on to a draw here; that would pretty much see us through to the knockout stage.
Agreed, Gerrard and Suarez at the minimum should be given the week off, tough one in the prem at the weekend. no real need to play our 1st team here, we could likely qualify with a draw, or even a win in our last home game against Young boys.
Its such a tough place to travel too this time of year, it will be very cold by kick off at local time. Our young squad will need to be tough, but I have no real worries for them. would love to see Morgan get a run, and Yesil could be a starter. Henderson will defo start, along with Downing. I dont really see Cole figuring at all.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Instead of approaching this match considering who should start, I will define who I think should NOT travel.

Gerrard, Agger, Suarez, Allen, Wisdom, Sterling
Totally agree. Even travelling that far is going to be very tiring.

Take Cole and leave him there ffs lol

Liverpaul_FC

TIA Reserve Team
------------------------------Jones------------------------------
--Flanno----------Carra----------Coates-----------Robbo--
----------------------------Hendo--------------------------------
----------------Shelvey-------------Cole----------------------
--Downing---------------Yesil--------------------Assaidi------

Subs: Gulacsi, Wilson, McLaughlin, Enrique, Adorjan, Pacheco, Morgan

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Wouldnt count on him starting on thursday, as he is playing for the reserves tonight. Thought he was good against West Brom when he played his preferred position, but Rodgers doesnt seem to rate him.
Thanks for that info. Disapointing to hear.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
Yesil, Pacheco, Ngoo, Wilson and McLaughlin all playing tonight - although Coady's not involved.

Would therefore expect something like the following:

Jones
Wisdom Coates Carra Robinson
Hendo Sahin
Shelvey
Downing Suarez Assaidi

Subs: Gulacsi, Skrtel, Enrique, Coady, Sinclair, Sterling, Morgan​

Hopefully Morgan will/might start instead of Suarez though. Hendo also a possible for RB, with then Coady in CM, if only just to not overuse Wisdom. Would far rather see Hendo at CM though. Or maybe Enrique instead of Robbo at LB. Would expect a strongish team though for the 5 p.m. kick-off.
Would really want to see Gerrard and Agger miss this one ...and ideally Suarez too.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I dont think just because people are playing tonight they definitely wont be playing Thursday. Only the equivalent of playing Sunday an Wednesday although admittedly it makes it less likely.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Pacheco scoring two and making an assist for Teixeira tonight... could have been useful in Moscow, that lad...

(sighs in despair...)

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
Pacheco scoring two and making an assist for Teixeira tonight... could have been useful in Moscow, that lad...

(sighs in despair...)
Bah ...Pacheco - to Raya Vallecano (or whatever minor La Liga club) next window (or the next one after that).

Really does my head in. Joe Cole gets every chance. Pacheco doesn't get much of a chance at all aka he was striker in a match and AM in another ...both not his role. Pacheco mightn't ultimately be LFC quality ...but in the U21 game tonight, he literally ran himself into the ground all match long - and he scored and assisted too. For Spain's youth set-up, he's done the same. The lad's crying out for a chance.

On Thursday against Anzhi, Cole will surely be on the bench by default - not by any meritocracy arguments though ...whilst a young lad who's desperate to prove himself (and is actually delivering) is an outcast. Doesn't seem quite right.

Pacheco must be absolute sh**e in training ;)

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Bah ...Pacheco - to Raya Vallecano (or whatever minor La Liga club) next window (or the next one after that).

Really does my head in. Joe Cole gets every chance. Pacheco doesn't get much of a chance at all aka he was striker in a match and AM in another ...both not his role. ;)
In fairness they've both played a similar amount this season (unless my brain is repressing more of Joe Cole's gametime from my memory) and attacking mid is where Pacheco's played most of his football at Liverpool.

I wouldn't mind us playing for a draw here, that's all that's needed really.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin

Really does my head in. Joe Cole gets every chance. Pacheco doesn't get much of a chance at all aka he was striker in a match and AM in another ...both not his role. Pacheco mightn't ultimately be LFC quality ...but in the U21 game tonight, he literally ran himself into the ground all match long - and he scored and assisted too. For Spain's youth set-up, he's done the same. The lad's crying out for a chance.

On Thursday against Anzhi, Cole will surely be on the bench by default - not by any meritocracy arguments though ...whilst a young lad who's desperate to prove himself (and is actually delivering) is an outcast. Doesn't seem quite right.

Pacheco must be absolute sh**e in training ;)
I really can't believe what I'm seeing here. I'm starting to think that the club has a contract with Barca to deliver a huge sum of money if Pacheco reaches a certain amount of games with the first team or something. As you say, he didn't play in his familiar role in the two first-team games, yet he played well enough, especially against WBA (AM or second striker is a role he obviously prefers to CF). He definitely deserves to get more playing time, even if it's only coming on from the bench.

What happens to him is definitely not based on merit, it's incredible to see that lad frozen out like that... I absolutely hate being witness of that kind of crap. :angry:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I really can't believe what I'm seeing here. I'm starting to think that the club has a contract with Barca to deliver a huge sum of money if Pacheco reaches a certain amount of games with the first team or something. As you say, he didn't play in his familiar role in the two first-team games, yet he played well enough, especially against WBA (AM or second striker is a role he obviously prefers to CF). He definitely deserves to get more playing time, even if it's only coming on from the bench.

What happens to him is definitely not based on merit, it's incredible to see that lad frozen out like that... I absolutely hate being witness of that kind of crap. :angry:
Whoa you turning green and muscly on other side of that keyboard mate??? Haha do you look anything like Lou Ferrigno? You used to be the calming presence here mate haha but agree 250% on Pacheco just cannot understand what happens off the pitch to stop him getting chances coz on pitch he is great.

GratefulRed

TIA Reserve Team
Ad-free Member

I'm one hundred percent with you, I just don't understand what's going on with Pacheco. He was as bright a prospect as Suso or Sterling under Rafa and since he left the club every manager since has not just looked him over but gone out of there way it seems to not include this guy in their plans. This pre-season he outperformed Sterling, Suso, Cole and almost everyone but Shelvey. I thought he played well even if out of position against Young Boys and then looked great against West Brom. He's continued to perform for the reserves. I don't know what he's suppose to do, every time he's given a chance he's performed or at least put in a hardworking and effective shift. That's more than what can be said for the likes of Cole, Downing, and a few others yet they are still given chance after chance.

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin
Hopefully Suarez, Gerrard and Allen won't travel for this.

Then I'd like to see Sterling and Wisdom rested, far too much reliance on the youngsters at the moment.

Not sure if Flanagan is fit or not?

Expect that Jones, Carragher, Coates, Robinson, Henderson, Shelvey, Assaidi and Downing will start. Leaving right back, centre forward and a midfielder. I'd go for Flanagan if fit, if not then Johnson if fit, and Sahin in midfield, Morgan up front.

Jones
RB Carra Coates Robinson
Henderson Sahin
Downing Shelvey Assaidi
Morgan

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati

Are you kidding me?! There's no way he deserves a start over cole or downing. I used to respect your knowledge, but now I think you've just gone mental.

Status
Not open for further replies.