• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre Match Thread: Anzhi Makhachkala v Liverpool; 08/11/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
Hopefully Suarez, Gerrard and Allen won't travel for this.

Then I'd like to see Sterling and Wisdom rested, far too much reliance on the youngsters at the moment.

Not sure if Flanagan is fit or not?

Expect that Jones, Carragher, Coates, Robinson, Henderson, Shelvey, Assaidi and Downing will start. Leaving right back, centre forward and a midfielder. I'd go for Flanagan if fit, if not then Johnson if fit, and Sahin in midfield, Morgan up front.

Jones
RB Carra Coates Robinson
Henderson Sahin
Downing Shelvey Assaidi
Morgan
Pretty much what I want (and expect) and what I previously posted, although RB is very much the slot up for grabs. PS: I think Suarez will travel for this one.

Flanno is fit ....but whether he features in BR's plans is up for debate. Wisdom could feature instead (or Hendo), although I'd prefer Flanno for this one. Our EL Team seems to be nailed on for 9~10 places, as does our EPL team, but 1~2 spots still seem up for grabs

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Looking at the team that will probably travel I'd go with this. Give Allen a well deserved break, although he'll probably travel as well. Sterling had a problem near the end of the game on Sunday so leave him out just in case. Put Suso on the bench, as he didn't play/waste too much energy against Newcastle and give him some minutes at some point. Perfect game for Flanagan to return - motivated and important to keep it tight in a tough away fixture like this, Wisdom needs a rest if we need him again against Chelsea. But hopefully we'll have our strongest back 4 for Chelsea, a fresher Allen and Gerrard & Suarez won't need to come on off the bench in this one. Rodgers has already showed how he's more willing to make changes away from home rather than when we don't travel.

Jones​

Flanagan Coates Carragher Robinson​

Henderson Sahin​

Downing Shelvey Assaidi​

Morgan​

Subs: Gulacsi, Skrtel, Wisdom, Coady, Gerrard, Suso, Suarez.​

FreakLFC

I hope Pacheco makes the team sheet and gets on the field this time. First team or sub.
I hope Henderson will get to play in his 'natural' position.
I hope Cole doesn't get a seat on the plane.
I hope Allen gets a rest and does not play the Chelsea game as well. (Why? I would like to see what the team is without him)
I hope Sahin will play.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
I hope Pacheco makes the team sheet and gets on the field this time. First team or sub.
I hope Henderson will get to play in his 'natural' position.
I hope Cole doesn't get a seat on the plane.
I hope Allen gets a rest and does not play the Chelsea game as well. (Why? I would like to see what the team is without him)
I hope Sahin will play.
Do you think the pitch will be soft enough for 6 stud boots?

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Do you think the pitch will be soft enough for 6 stud boots?
With a little bit of rain today, and lows above 0 deg C, the pitch is likely to be quite soft underneath the grass - hard studs would really tear it up.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
I think we need to win this match. it's important that we qualify for the knock out stages of this compo as it will make the club more appealing to potential January signings.

We should take Cole and give him one last chance then if he fails to impress again leave him there far far away.

Defenity starters need to be Coates, Carra, Robinson, Henderson, Downing, Assaidi, Shelvey and Suso imo. Sahin should start too but could be very important against Chelsea too. The rest made up of who the gaffer sees fit.

funkynoise74

Having watched the second half of the U21's last night, first half was spent outside freezing cold watching bloody fireworks, it is still quite baffling as to why Pacheco isn't being given the opportunities with the 1st team. Surely he would be a better option off the bench than Downing or Cole?

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Having watched the second half of the U21's last night, first half was spent outside freezing cold watching bloody fireworks, it is still quite baffling as to why Pacheco isn't being given the opportunities with the 1st team. Surely he would be a better option off the bench than Downing or Cole?
He's one of these players that does really well when there's only a small crowd watching. Stick him in front of 45,000 and he seems to shrink away a bit. But I agree, he needs chances. The only way he'll improve is by getting the chance to play.

Maybe BR doesn't want him. After all he tried to offload him in the summer. Maybe he's on his way out in Jan?

DEVGRU

With a little bit of rain today, and lows above 0 deg C, the pitch is likely to be quite soft underneath the grass - hard studs would really tear it up.
Thanks..at least it's playable

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
He's one of these players that does really well when there's only a small crowd watching. Stick him in front of 45,000 and he seems to shrink away a bit. (...)
I don't know how many people were on the stands at WBA when we played them, but Pacheco for sure didn't shrink that night...

rupzzz

TIA Regular
I don't know how many people were on the stands at WBA when we played them, but Pacheco for sure didn't shrink that night...
He was brilliant that night, but mighta been a one off. I like him a lot but since Rafa left he seems to have stopped improving. Shame as I was hoping for big things from him. Never say never I guess.

gr_sounder

Personally I woulnd't mind giving Pacheco a chance as he can't be worse than at least a couple other attacking options we have at the moment, but I still don't see the magic in him others do. Would still love to be proven wrong here.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
He's one of these players that does really well when there's only a small crowd watching. Stick him in front of 45,000 and he seems to shrink away a bit. But I agree, he needs chances. The only way he'll improve is by getting the chance to play.

Maybe BR doesn't want him. After all he tried to offload him in the summer. Maybe he's on his way out in Jan?
Has he ever played for longer than around 5 or 10 minutes in front of a crowd like that for us though? Most of his games have been short cameo appearances or away from home from what I remember, may be wrong. Feel sorry for Dani he can only do what he can do against the opposition he is put up against. Can only imagine he is awful in training because preseason and when he has been on pitch so far this season he has been great.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Has he ever played for longer than around 5 or 10 minutes in front of a crowd like that for us though? Most of his games have been short cameo appearances or away from home from what I remember, may be wrong. Feel sorry for Dani he can only do what he can do against the opposition he is put up against. Can only imagine he is awful in training because preseason and when he has been on pitch so far this season he has been great.
Against YB, there were 30'000 people in a packed stadium. And I checked now how many were there at WBA: 21'164. Danny started both games. Makes more than 51'000 already! :)

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Unfortunately players are judged on those short 5-10 mins they get when playing in the first team. If they don't make a positive impact they're not given the chance to start. Just need to look at the impact that a player like Gerrard had when he first started out or Sterling as well. Both very exciting and whenever they got the ball there was a buzz and excitement as we knew something would happen. Pacheco doesn't create that same buzz. Simialr to how players like Pongolle, El Zhar or Nunez had.

But one thing that bewilders me is how Joe Cole is picked before Pacheco for the bench. Maybe it's because BR has worked with Cole in the past (at Chelsea) and hopes that he'll find some of that magic again. Maybe Cole has worldlies in training and Pacheco is gash?

God only knows. Either way, Pacheco needs to be givin more chances and Cole needs to be sold in Jan.

Yesil is a player that hasn't done much yet either talking of slow starters. Seems amazing at U21 nationals and in reserve/u21s for us but yes to transpire to anything in the first team. That however I feel will come with time, a feeling I had about Dani which is slowly ebbing away

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Interesting reading on Dani, average length of his senior appearances is 35 minutes, no idea he had clocked up 16 senior appearances though!

Can clearly see how effective he has been at reserve level for us 7 goals, 8 assists in 20 games, explains why people get excited about him:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/dani-pacheco/leistungsdaten-verein/spieler_28285.html

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Well I for one would like to see hims start in this game. Something must be terribly wrong with this player if Hodgson, Kenny and Rodgers all sidelined him. We have seen him in pre-season and a few games in Europe during Rafa's days and with these 3 British managers, he didn't really do badly as I can recall. Still not getting games puzzles me.

Upstate_Chad

TIA Youth Team
Has anyone seen the list of players who have traveled? There is usually one on the offal, but I have yet to see it.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Saw Suso said they travel tomorrow he is in the party dont know the others yet. Gotta love Twitter!

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
Strong rumours of the line-up Thursday being:
Jones - Wisdom, Coates, Carra, Downing - Hendo, Sahin, Cole - Suso, Pacheco, Assaidi

Happy to see Pacheco involved (if true). Decidedly less (than) happy to see Cole involved (again if true).
Also rumoured that Reina and Glen are now recovered and travelling.

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
Jones - Wisdom, Coates, Carra, Downing - Hendo, Sahin, Cole - Suso, Pacheco, Assaidi

Happy to see Pacheco involved (if true). Decidedly less (than) happy to see Cole involved (again if true).
Damn, that is almost like the line up I wanted to see. But seriously, Joe Cole? AGAIN? Please don't let that be true. I would have hoped that Brendan would have recognized by now that Cole is a lost cause. Why not play Shelvey? Doesn't make sense to save him for Sunday, the lad hasn't played a full game in a while. He needs it.

funkynoise74

I saw that yesterday as well on Twitter. Happy for Pacheco, and it will be a decent opportunity for Henderson in his favoured position of centre mid but I was in dismay about Cole.

DEVGRU

Not a single american player in there. Grrrrr...........

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)

Wouldn't have been too unhappy with this line up till I saw Cole, why would BR bother with him, if he displays what he did the other day I just hope the hell he has a one way ticket.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
If that is the lineup it will be a chance to see how Sahin and Hendo get on, i take it that Hendo will be used like a DM with cole more attacking and Sahin the playmaker. I think though that BR has given up on any chance to win this knowing we should go through anyway and probably hoping to nick something.

As for Cole and Downing, i'm guessing that's to rest the better players and to put them in the shop window. Happy enough if this is the team though i do hope Shelvey gets some time later on. Just hope he doesn't take the stars and brings them on half time in this game, would rather them rest.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Pacheco has travelled then? Didn't expect that, but happy if it's true. Then again, it's very sad if Cole gets the nod ahead of him.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Hoping Cole has travelled to Moscow.

Also hoping he doesn't come back.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Disturbing to see so many people prepared to basically give up on qualifying for the knockout stages of this competition by playing a very weakened side.
I wonder what their viewpoint will be when transfer targets happy to go without CL football, turn us down in January because as a club we've even shown little ambition in the Europa League.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Disturbing to see so many people prepared to basically give up on qualifying for the knockout stages of this competition by playing a very weakened side.
I wonder what their viewpoint will be when transfer targets happy to go without CL football, turn us down in January because as a club we've even shown little ambition in the Europa League.
I think that we totally expect to lose this but still qualify, we should beat YB easily and a draw in our last game will see us through. I am totally happy with this and for all we know we may get lucky and get the draw here instead. It's not as if our 2nd team have been much worse than our 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.