• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre Match: Tranmere v Liverpool (11/7/19 7.30pm)

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Lordy. A football match. An actual as I live and breath football match.

It’s the traditional curtain raiser against Tranmere. Klopp will be without much of the first team, and we should expect to see a match day squad of reserves, returnees from injury and fringe players.

Anyone care to guess a team?

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
*rubs eyes*

*slowly sits up*

What is this foot... ball? of which you speak?

I guess Migs is a shoo-in after the injury to Kelleher.

I don't really know when other players are turning up for preseason, so will just go with the players who were there on the first day: Hoever, Gomez, Matip, Clyne, Fabinho, Milner, Ox, Lallana, Wilson, Brewster - probably the strongest XI of those 16 players, but we may well mix it up at bit so more kids start the game.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
*rubs eyes*

*slowly sits up*

What is this foot... ball? of which you speak?

I guess Migs is a shoo-in after the injury to Kelleher.

I don't really know when other players are turning up for preseason, so will just go with the players who were there on the first day: Hoever, Gomez, Matip, Clyne, Fabinho, Milner, Ox, Lallana, Wilson, Brewster - probably the strongest XI of those 16 players, but we may well mix it up at bit so more kids start the game.
Don't we normally swap the whole team at h/t for these games

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Grabara
Clyne Gomez Matip Arroyo
Ox Fabinho Milner
Wilson Brewster Woodburn

Strongest possible at the moment would be Milner at LB and Lallana in midfield - but I’m not ready to see Milner at LB again.

Arroyo is rated very high and can play LB and RB - so its a real shame won’t get a work permit.

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
Liverpool's returning squad currently.

Anderson Arroyo, Rhian Brewster, Nathaniel Clyne, Fabinho, Joe Gomez, Ryan Kent, Ki-Jana Hoever, Curtis Jones, Adam Lallana, Joel Matip, James Milner, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Nat Phillips, Sepp van den Berg, Harry Wilson, Ben Woodburn.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
The line-up could be interesting as there wasn't a goalkeeper amongst the 16 who reported for training yesterday. This will be the first chance to see van den Berg. I am also looking forward to seeing Hoever, who has has the potential to be a fantastic player for us. Most intriguing watch will be Brewster. He could be the next Michael Owen for all I know. I've seen so little of him since he came back from injury. Clearly we are going to be relying on him a fair bit this coming season. Lot of pressure on him and will be interesting to see how he copes.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
No point in trying to pick a team, because under Klopp we never really went "full strength" from the start in the very first friendlies against local sides. It will be more of a mixture between youth and experience (maybe giving opportunities to little partnerships), two teams for each 45 minutes. In first friendlies, I think we might see players who we "need" to make a decision (keep, loan or sell) soon. For Klopp, he doesn't need much to judge that. I wonder if Awoniyi gets some minutes. Saw him in yesterday's pics, but wasn't named in the official list of 16 players. If we already have loans verbally agreed for the likes of him and Arroyo, they might not play. Would like to see both of them, don't even know how they play (Chelsea must feel like that for about 50 players they have on loan each season, we're doing the same now, although with a much smaller number).

Sweeting

Where does the idea that Arroyo is highly rated come from?

As far as I can see he has been a complete flop at Mallorca and Gent. He is nearly 20 years old and has a grand total of 1 professional appearance and that was in Colombia.

Last edited:

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Where does the idea that Arroyo is highly rated come from?

As far as I can see he has been a complete flop at Mallorca and Gent. He is nearly 20 years old and has a grand total of 1 professional appearance and that was Colombia.

I blame the media to make us think he is highly rated.

And i blame the UK for not letting him work under Klopp and fullfill his potential.

Sweeting

I blame the media to make us think he is highly rated.

And i blame the UK for not letting him work under Klopp and fullfill his potential.
That's fair, mine was a real question as I've seen at least two people today describe him as highly rated, so I wasn't sure if Klopp had said something about him after the first day of pre-season.

If it is just media hype then I don't think we should read into it. "Highly rated" is one of those generic phrases that gets used with youth but doesn't mean very much ("hotshot", "top talent", "starlet", "prodigious" etc)

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Van Den Berg, Hoever, Wilson and Brewster have a particularly good shot at getting some first team minutes next season, so I'm looking to them to impress. Jones and Woodburn have plenty of talent between them too but it's more difficult to see where they fit in currently.

Will be interesting to see if Larouci or Lewis get a bit of time this pre-season and are able to put themselves into the manager's plans. Would rather see one of them play than Arroyo.

Would also be nice if Lallana and Chamberlain can come through this pre-season unscathed. Fingers crossed...

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Will be interesting to see if Larouci or Lewis get a bit of time this pre-season and are able to put themselves into the manager's plans. Would rather see one of them play than Arroyo.

Would also be nice if Lallana and Chamberlain can come through this pre-season unscathed. Fingers crossed...
I would expect that is the reason we haven't bought a LB yet. I have particularly high hopes of Larouci.

Glatzel or Duncan could get a look too although they are probably a year away from getting a real chance.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Van Den Berg, Hoever, Wilson and Brewster have a particularly good shot at getting some first team minutes next season, so I'm looking to them to impress. Jones and Woodburn have plenty of talent between them too but it's more difficult to see where they fit in currently.
I think it's on him now to grab this opportunity by the balls. There can't be any excuses. He has been absolutely brilliant for Derby, and he'll get an opportunity to show Klopp the right things this preseason against some weaker opponents early then more challenging ones as preseason progresses. I want to see him come out flying. For his sake.

Foldy

Looking forward to watching this with my mate, downside is the wives are coming as well, so I'll try to watch the game in between them chatting about Love Island and Lisa's line manager still being a bitch.