• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre Match: Tranmere v Liverpool (11/7/19 7.30pm)

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Without wanting to draw too many conclusions after one preseason game against limited opposition... but maybe we are fine at full-back after all. RB in particular... Hoever looks like a star in the making, and he looks ready to start getting games.
He is definitely a star in the making. The only thing that counts against Hoever is his age. He is a special talent and needs careful handling. I can see him getting another run out in the domestic cups but not really from the bench in the league or as official understudy to Trent or anything like that. Probably a season too early for him. I like to think that if the club are considering succesion planning then they are looking at him as the longer term replacement for Lovren at CB.

Apart from his goals his pass for the assist for Clyne was excellent
His all round game was excellent. The way he held up the ball. The way he linked up play. It's all there. He has really developed physically as well. The other thing that impressed me was that he produced that performance under a certain amount of pressure and expectation. A lot of fans expecting great things from him this season. Maybe unreasonably so. He didn't seem fazed by it at all.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
From the highlights Kent looks to light weight. He was knocked all over the place.
I watched the match ( mismatch) and would not say Kent looked lightweight but he will not make the first team at LFC. Brewster obviously looked class but I am not convinced that he and Origi will give us good enough back up for Mane and Salah at the moment.
Hoever looks a first teamer in the making and Laroucci did well. He is exciting to watch and an interesting prospect.
All the youngsters did pretty good but it was a League 1 side , not the strongest opposition. I am looking forward to watching all the Pre season games and seeing things gradually fall into place.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Clynes problem for Klopp is he good defensively but not great at getting forward - or doesn’t do it enough.
I like him but just feel he’s never going to get in.
I’m sure he’ll be moved on with a few others
I think Clyne will be similar to Mignolet and will bide his time warming the bench until he's needed. I would rather him being back-up to Trent at the moment and not have to rely on a youngster however good his promise is. It's better to have a tried and tested Premier savvy player than someone from the U23's or Academy.

William Clarke

I thought Larouci had a very decent first half game lest night. I had never seen him play until the Tranmere game and had read comments from some of our own site members saying he wasn't good enough to play for us. Well, on last night's performance he looked good enough to me. Yeah, still room for improvement, but I saw a lot of potential in the lad for our club to keep hold of him for a few more years at least.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
I think Clyne will be similar to Mignolet and will bide his time warming the bench until he's needed. I would rather him being back-up to Trent at the moment and not have to rely on a youngster however good his promise is. It's better to have a tried and tested Premier savvy player than someone from the U23's or Academy.
Tbh, I don't believe it. Clyne wasn't happy with his reduced game time already months ago and prefered to go out on loan. He could have a Champions league medal as well now tbf. We know meanwhile that Klopp won't keep an unhappy player, my feeling is that he will be probably sold.

William Clarke

Tbh, I don't believe it. Clyne wasn't happy with his reduced game time already months ago and prefered to go out on loan. He could have a Champions league medal as well now tbf. We know meanwhile that Klopp won't keep an unhappy player, my feeling is that he will be probably sold.
You're most probably correct, but I don't think Jürgen will burn his bridges and sell Clyne however unhappy the player is until he's sure he has decent cover at full back. If he believes he has the defensive cover then, as you say, Clyne will be sold.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
What a nice little stadium this is, it's always a pleasure to follow a game there! Great to see the youngsters do so well in this fixture. Everyone takes confidence from this and there are some nice confirmations of what is likely to happen this coming season. As Klopp said after the match: we have already new players in the squad compared to last season, people just don't realise it yet.

Looking forward to the next game already! :)

Commando

Ad-free Member
What a nice little stadium this is, it's always a pleasure to follow a game there! Great to see the youngsters do so well in this fixture. Everyone takes confidence from this and there are some nice confirmations of what is likely to happen this coming season. As Klopp said after the match: we have already new players in the squad compared to last season, people just don't realise it yet.

Looking forward to the next game already! :)

I spent my teens watching the Reds and Tranmere. In those days Tranmere always played on Friday nights so as not to clash with their bigger neighbours who were playing on Saturdays (Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves). Had some good times watching Rovers.

Obviously not as good as following The Reds. :well done:

Red Submarine

SIX, and counting.
Handled well the squad of defenders we have should be enough to go deep into every competition we face this season. We might yet loan out Clyne of course.
Hand on heart I hope we lob the domestic trophies in the first round this season.

William Clarke

I spent my teens watching the Reds and Tranmere. In those days Tranmere always played on Friday nights so as not to clash with their bigger neighbours who were playing on Saturdays (Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves). Had some good times watching Rovers.

Obviously not as good as following The Reds. :well done:
I went a time or two to Prenton Park to watch ol' Tramcar Rovers and the end we were in was just a flat area of trodden earth (no mound) with a roof covering it. This would've been the early to mid-sixties and the part of the ground we were in was really short of amenities. I don't think there was even a pie stall -- HORROR
lol lol lol lollollol

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
I thought Larouci had a very decent first half game lest night. I had never seen him play until the Tranmere game and had read comments from some of our own site members saying he wasn't good enough to play for us. Well, on last night's performance he looked good enough to me. Yeah, still room for improvement, but I saw a lot of potential in the lad for our club to keep hold of him for a few more years at least.
Hmmm... were site members saying that? I thought comments about not being good enough were directed more towards Lewis. But there were others questioning whether he was too green (having only recently been transformed into a LB).

For Larouci, I have high hopes but we will need to see how he defends against better teams to see how far along he has come on defensively.

William Clarke

Hmmm... were site members saying that? I thought comments about not being good enough were directed more towards Lewis. But there were others questioning whether he was too green (having only recently been transformed into a LB).

For Larouci, I have high hopes but we will need to see how he defends against better teams to see how far along he has come on defensively.
No, definitely against Larouci, saying he had been on loan at a couple of clubs and he didn't perform too good for them. The posts were a while ago, so don't want to go trawling through the threads looking for them, but I know what I read. There was no mention of Lewis that I recall, so could have missed those posts, but I know I'm right over Larouci.

Yeah, I agree, Larouci did all right at Tranmere, but it's to be seen what his defensive qualities are like against better opposition.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
It's amazing how much easier it is to win a cup when you play non-league sides/relegation fodder until you hit the final.

Surely we're due a 'City 2018/19 draw' for at least one of the domestic trophies?
I wasn't even really thinking of winning one, just a decent run of games. But yes, for two straight seasons, the Cups have just been an unwelcome demand on the squad - probably about right that the games get tough eventually, but we have had challenging initial opponents.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
No, definitely against Larouci, saying he had been on loan at a couple of clubs and he didn't perform too good for them. The posts were a while ago, so don't want to go trawling through the threads looking for them, but I know what I read. There was no mention of Lewis that I recall, so could have missed those posts, but I know I'm right over Larouci.

Yeah, I agree, Larouci did all right at Tranmere, but it's to be seen what his defensive qualities are like against better opposition.
As far as I know Larouci has never been out on loan during his time with us, I think you're thinking of another player.

Limiescouse

Yes, it was only Tranmere. However, I think I will reiterate a comment I have seen a couple of other make - and that was how seamlessly the kids fit in. Over the years we have had several periods in which our first team was excellent, but as soon as you dropped 2 or 3 kids into the side to give senior players a rest we've looked disjointed. Like there was a black hole wherever the fringe player/kid was playing. This has been the case even with really highly rated kids, and young players who were brought in supposedly to play for the senior side (e.g. Ngog, Leto etc). What impressed me yesterday, from the bits and pieces I saw, was how well the non-first teamers fit in.

I think the one time we didnt have that was early in Rodger's tenure (Im especially thinking of that UEFA cup run and fun games like against Young Boys), but that was maybe because the first team wasnt that good then and so the jump for the likes of Suso and Shelvey wasnt that high.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Yes, it was only Tranmere. However, I think I will reiterate a comment I have seen a couple of other make - and that was how seamlessly the kids fit in. Over the years we have had several periods in which our first team was excellent, but as soon as you dropped 2 or 3 kids into the side to give senior players a rest we've looked disjointed. Like there was a black hole wherever the fringe player/kid was playing. This has been the case even with really highly rated kids, and young players who were brought in supposedly to play for the senior side (e.g. Ngog, Leto etc). What impressed me yesterday, from the bits and pieces I saw, was how well the non-first teamers fit in.

I think the one time we didnt have that was early in Rodger's tenure (Im especially thinking of that UEFA cup run and fun games like against Young Boys), but that was maybe because the first team wasnt that good then and so the jump for the likes of Suso and Shelvey wasnt that high.
Particularly since Klopp came in, I think we've had properly joined-up, long-term thinking throughout the club - not just at the senior level but through the age groups as well. I suspect most of these kids now on the cusp of stepping up have been on a very regimented and carefully planned pathway through the club for quite some time now.

Maybe it's unfair, but in the past it's seemed a bit like we've signed talented kids, chucked a couple of loans their way, and moved them on when (in the vast majority of cases) they haven't stepped it up. Now it seems like there's a very definite plan in place for each one, and for lads like Sepp, Elliott etc you suspect those plans were being laid even before they joined. The players still need to buy in to that approach and grasp the opportunities they're given, but for those that do it's looking very promising indeed. Aside from a club like Ajax, who have basically made it their operating model, I don't think there are any other clubs out there around our level having such a promising generation of kids coming through. Our vision, which stems from Klopp but is also a credit to all those working under him, is starting to pay dividends.

William Clarke

I think you are confusing him with someone else as he has not been on loan since he's been here. The Colombian, Arroyo, maybe?
Apologies to @JustHitMyHead you was right and I've been reading duff info. The only problem that I have ascertained is he had a work permit problem when he first arrived. @Limiescouse I can only reiterate what I said earlier and that I have read some duff info. I don't believe it was someone else, just false info being posted. It's either that or I have had a 'senior moment'. Put the old duffer to sleep. Long live euthanasia.

William Clarke

I think you are confusing him with someone else as he has not been on loan since he's been here. The Colombian, Arroyo, maybe?
I have been doing some checking up and I think you are right. It all fits. Young player been out on loan to Real Mallorca and Gent. I think you've made a good call with Anderson Arroya.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Hoever looks like a giant man child rolls royce who's ready to play 60 games a season for us. My god he pops out at you.

Larouci looks like a youth player getting his feet wet with the first team. Worked hard, and did a lot of running, but not quite the same as Hoever on the other side.

Watching the extended highlights, Milner is ready to go again. Gomez looks like he's back, Kent will want to do a bit more next game to show his worth. Origi's touch and goal were class, no matter the opposition.

Watching Liverpool play again is fun. On to the next one so I can over-analyze the kids again lol

benire

Going to be a serious blunder by klopp not to get some players in for cover, instead risking it on kids and injury prone players. We got away light last year with injuries to the front 3 but it was the injuries at the back that cost us the league. Don't know why everyone is getting their panties all wet over beating tranmere.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Going to be a serious blunder by klopp not to get some players in for cover, instead risking it on kids and injury prone players. We got away light last year with injuries to the front 3 but it was the injuries at the back that cost us the league. Don't know why everyone is getting their panties all wet over beating tranmere.
Jesus imagine waiting 2 years for your first post and this is it.. maybe wait another 2 and try again.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
You've waited two years to post and this is what came out?!

Edit: Dammit, @Iluvatar. lol

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Congrats on your new title