• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre Match: Tranmere v Liverpool (11/7/19 7.30pm)

Magnus

You guys should be very, very careful of judging our young defenders in my opinion. Tranmere is not yet fit at all like @Mystryman01 rightly said. They have offered nothing only slow motion offensive play and it has been relatively easy to deal with them. Let us wait a couple of weeks and see a couple more pre-season games before we hail them. :-)

Anyway, we look en-route, so all good ! :-)

Edit: Funny pitch invasion ! :D

Sweeting

Not sure how happy we will be to see a pitch invasion after the game. Looked good natured enough but you only need one nutter...

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Good start apart from the injury to Glatzel, some young players already looking to stake a claim for squad involvement especially the young full backs and Brewster.

The future looks rosy

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
You guys should be very, very careful of judging our young defenders in my opinion. Tranmere is not yet fit at all like @Mystryman01 rightly said. They have offered nothing only slow motion offensive play and it has been relatively easy to deal with them. Let us wait a couple of weeks and see a couple more pre-season games before we hail them. :-)

You just missed out on your predicted score line, but you weren't far wrong. :well done:

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan

If course it's important to have perspective. And the real litmus test will be against the likes of Dortmund. Even forgetting the defenders he beat tonight, the movement of Hoever was really impressive. He would be my motm.

Lallana looked so bloody silky in the middle of the park, and Rhian looked pretty sharp. All good signs for the preseason to come.

Magnus

If course it's important to have perspective. And the real litmus test will be against the likes of Dortmund. Even forgetting the defenders he beat tonight, the movement of Hoever was really impressive. He would be my motm.

Lallana looked so bloody silky in the middle of the park, and Rhian looked pretty sharp. All good signs for the preseason to come.
True, enough, I think this was a postive experience and good training for our squad. But it is important to note that Tranmare looked like they had just eaten a heavy dinner. I think we would have maybe got more out of facing Tranmare a couple of weeks from now, when they have had a few more training sessions. Too early for those lads imo. Still, it was a positive experience and our younger players looks promising, no doubt about it. But yes, perspective is good ! :-)

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Good run out there. I genuinely don't think think you can really draw any concrete conclusions from these early games. At all. But early goals for Brewster should give him a boost for the pre-season and settle any nerves (that he probably didn't have to be fair).

I just like watching us score, so i'll enjoy the match for what it was and look forward to Sunday.

William Clarke

A training/fitness levels match is all it was, but our young talent are looking good. I'm just wondering if Jürgen will let Wilson and Kent go out on a season-long loan again or whether he'll put them up for sale. I would say Derby and Glasgow Rangers would be really interested, but only sell if we get good prices for them because they are a pair of talented lads, who are now in their early twenties and would not get the game time stuck behind our three amigos.

FGred

Good start apart from the injury to Glatzel, some young players already looking to stake a claim for squad involvement especially the young full backs and Brewster.

The future looks rosy
I know it was friendly but mike dean offered no protection to our youngsters as they got roughed up with impunity at times
Very impressed with young Hoever pure class.

FGred

A heads up @FGred Mike Dean is a Tranmere Rovers fan .... honestly.
I Knew that and John mcateer reminded everyone on that fact during commentary on lfctv but poor young Glatzel should have had a penalty and a few free kicks then he was kicked on his knee and that was that the poor bugger is looking at a few months on the sidelines now.

Last edited:

William Clarke

Have the LFC medicos reported on how bad Glatzel's knee injury is because I missed hearing of it?

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
It was an impressive performance. I can remember pre-season friendlies from years gone by where the players looked half asleep but not any more. Everyone was hungry and keen to impress. Brewster looked about a stone heavier than when I last saw him. Really stood out in the first half. Strong on the ball, hard working, great touch and some good finishing. He is a clever player. An obvious upgrade on Sturridge as a back up striker and you can see why JK rates him and why he'll get first team minutes this season.

I really like Hoever. He is going to be a superb player for us. Huge potential. All the younger lads did well. There's a great work ethic now at the club. You can see it in every player but Milner sets the example for everyone else to follow. He played as if it was a PL game. Giving it everything, as usual.

LFCFFC

Really keen to see how Brewster goes against better quality opposition over the coming weeks. Hugely promising signs first up. I have to admit I also forgot that Kent was left-sided. I'd love to see a big preseason from him.

As Klopp alluded to, maybe that front 3 depth has been at the club the entire time.

William Clarke

JK when asked at the post match interview how serious it was said they have to wait for the scans
Let's hope it's nothing too serious but a case of bruising. It will be sad if he's out for any length of time because he's got great potential and knows where the goal is.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
Really keen to see how Brewster goes against better quality opposition over the coming weeks. Hugely promising signs first up. I have to admit I also forgot that Kent was left-sided. I'd love to see a big preseason from him.

As Klopp alluded to, maybe that front 3 depth has been at the club the entire time.
Your last point is an interesting one.

I think if you asked most fans they would love the idea that our depth can come from Brewster and Wilson etc, but most in their head wouldn't be prepared to take the risk.

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me but I recall previous years 3+ years ago in particular when our youth would struggle in these games and we would maybe labour to small wins - this result they were clearly a class above and as you say looked the part.

I get the feeling we have a couple of potentials lined up and could pull the trigger at any time but Klopp wants to give particularly Wilson a fair chance.
He has done everything asked of him now for 2-3 years and performed at every turn........at some point we have to give the youth a chance, or else they do become nothing but a talent factory to be developed and sold on for profit - which in the long run is not what we should be aiming for.

Looking at the press clippings from Klopp you get the feeling that they would like to think - now with Origi signing long term, Ox fit and squeezing one more year out or Lallana there is enough back up not to invest and then give those young guys the chance to push their way in and establish themselves.......

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
At last footy has restarted - along with my pipe! An enjoyable outing with a bagful of goals, with Brewster bagging a double which will do his confidence good, and yes it was against a sluggish Tranmere Rovers side but goals are, ahem goals! The youngsters did well, and I look forward to seeing more of them play,

Must watch the highlights to refresh my memory of who scored!!!

William Clarke

At last footy has restarted - along with my pipe! An enjoyable outing with a bagful of goals, with Brewster bagging a double which will do his confidence good, and yes it was against a sluggish Tranmere Rovers side but goals are, ahem goals! The youngsters did well, and I look forward to seeing more of them play,

Must watch the highlights to refresh my memory of who scored!!!
I was going to name the scorers, but then I thought SPOILER ALERT you are going to watch the highlights, so I shut mah mouth. Enjoy finding out the scorers.

Gazmaninaus

I seem to remember only scraping past Tranmere in recent years. So today’s result is a thumping. I know a lot has been mentioned about the fitness of Tranmere but we only came together a week ago. So horses for courses I guess. What was a highlight for me was the names on the score sheet. Mostly young lads trying to impress instead of just out to make up the numbers. I’ve got to say there is nothing more exciting than watching a future star come out of your junior ranks. I find i like it better than a big buy. I remember Fowler. Owen. Stevie G etc. often when they came through it was because the team was quite settled. I like that though going into a new season.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
So far really impressed with our left side (Lacouir? and Kent). Ox has looked rusty but only 15 minutes in. Loved Gomez’s run for the goal and brilliant by Brewster and especially Clyne
Edit: Lallana has some brilliant feet on the ball and the Tranmere right full is one tough c**t lol
I never watched tonights game but Lallana is one of the most technically gifted English footballers iv ever seen. He also works hard on the press/makes tackles.
Unfortunately, he has had 2 injury hit seasons and i would be surprised if he sees the season through without an injury or forces himself into the 1st 11. However, a fully fit AL and AOC gives us options and hopefully keeps tge main stays on their toes.