Status
Not open for further replies.

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
So another must win game...
my only question, is coutinho back?

boston red

Show me the Mane.
Massive game here ol Stevie Clark turned us over in BR first game ..WB have a bit of form..Being at home shoud edge it

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
For me Luis Alberto in for Moses and Lucas in for Henderson if we stick with the 3-5-2. Daniel Agger could come back into the mix in for one of the three at the back. That's taking for granted Coutinho is still out and even if he's just back maybe we could do with making sure he was fully fit ahead of the Arsenal game.

Would really like to see a clean sheet to be honest. Hope we can win to nil but any win is embraced in my house.

So my team would be

Mignolet, Johnson, Toure, Agger, Sahko, Cissokho, Lucas, Gerrrard, Alberto, Sturridge, Suarez.

Three points going into that arsenal game. Hoping the front pairing are a bit sharper than they were last Saturday and the energy in the middle isn't as flat as week old bottle of 7up.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Same team as the one which started the season please.

433. Agger back in with Toure, Moses and Suarez taking Coutinho's and Aspas' places in the starting 11. Henderson Lucas Gerrard midfield.

Hopefully we won't pick up any more injuries throughout the week and Coutinho is fit enough for a spot on the bench (if not starting), leaving us with the likes of Coutinho, Alberto, Allen, Skrtel, Sakho and Sterling to pick from. That bench looks so much better than what we're used to seeing and is something like the standard we should be aiming for.

bes

You cannot drop Skrtel. Easily our most consistent performer since he got back in the squad. What doesnt go mentioned is the saves hes had on Arfa/Remy/Bony/RVP etc
Mignolet
Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique (if healthy)
Lucas Gerrard Hendo
Coutinho
Sturridge Suarez

If Coutinho is injured use Alberto. Sakho needs to be dropped after last week.Him/Ciss fault for the set piece and he shouldve stepped up to Cabaye.

Canuck33

Banned Users
4 at the back, preferably Toure and Sakho with Johnson and Enrique wide. 3 in the middle, Lucas holding with Gerrard and Allen central and pressing. 3 up front, obviously SAS and preferably Alberto in the hole with the 3 drifting wide and changing positions. Properly executed, WBA will be minced meat!

Canuck33

Banned Users
bes said:
You cannot drop Skrtel. Easily our most consistent performer since he got back in the squad. What doesnt go mentioned is the saves hes had on Arfa/Remy/Bony/RVP etc
Mignolet
Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique (if healthy)
Lucas Gerrard Hendo
Coutinho
Sturridge Suarez

If Coutinho is injured use Alberto. Sakho needs to be dropped after last week.Him/Ciss fault for the set piece and he shouldve stepped up to Cabaye.
If you wanna drop somebody on Cabaye's goal, drop Rodgers! I do have to agree though that Sakho should've done better on the set piece although it was Cissokho's man. So if he gets dropped then it should be Toure and Skrtel at CB. Agger will have to earn his way back in first.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Toure Skrtel Sakho and Cissokho all could have done better on that goal. Toure got under the ball, Skrtel played the man not the ball, Sakho and Cissokho let it run.

Since Skrtel has been brought in we've only kept one clean sheet. Individually I think he's done well but Agger/Toure started off with 3 clean sheets in a row, I think we'd be wise to keep our defence as constant as possible and that's obviously proven to be the most effective partnership so far.

I do like both Skrtel and Sakho but there isn't space for all of them. I'm not a huge fan of meritocracy in football to an extreme degree as I think it's incredibly limiting and short sighted. Skrtel's performances don't merit him being dropped but I feel it may be best for the team.

Edit: Thinking about it, with Agger we've had 3 clean sheets in the league and conceded 1. Without him? We've conceded 6 in the same amount of games with 0 clean sheets (going off my worryingly suspect memory). Despite some concerns being raised about his form, by me as well as many others, isn't it possible:

A: He wasn't playing as poorly as he was made out to be
B: Others aren't playing as well as we are claiming they are
C: Defending is more than just individuals, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anybody claiming that the communication and leadership in that back four/3/5 is better off with Skrtel or new boy Sakho.

So yes, back to Agger/Toure for me. I think these two offer a level calmness, leadership and organisation that the other two currently can't. No way to prove that of course, just a feeling.

Canuck33

Banned Users
You're kidding, right? Toure and Skrtel could've done better on that goal? How about the keeper or SAS? Maybe Gerrard or Henderson? Sakho was the only one close enough to head it out and Cissokho lost his man. End of!

And you don't believe in meritocracy? What? Are you a union member? Seniority, patronism over performance! Ever lived in a real world where you get and keep a job based on performance? Probably not!

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Canuck33 said:
You're kidding, right? Toure and Skrtel could've done better on that goal? How about the keeper or SAS? Maybe Gerrard or Henderson? Sakho was the only one close enough to head it out and Cissokho lost his man. End of!

And you don't believe in meritocracy? What? Are you a union member? Seniority, patronism over performance! Ever lived in a real world where you get and keep a job based on performance? Probably not!
I didn't realise I was suggesting that Skrtel should be fired. What I actually believe I suggested was that it may be better for the side if the most successful combination of defenders thus far be selected instead.

Toure and Agger have conceded 0 goals together in 3 games so far this season. There's your meritocracy.

bes

If you think that was Skrtels fault you need your eyes checked or better yet stop spewing your propaganda. Also those clean sheet stats can be dismissed, as a team it's nice to look back and see what you did defensively in May but you can't put it on one defender to take that glory. Can we look back these few games and say it was because Agger wasn't playing, therefore we conceded? No, faults are all over, Agger himself cannot prevent bad marking although he's terrible at set pieces too. Skrtel has been our standout/most consistent in the backline, I hope you guys come to grips and realize Kolo is 32 and can't be out there every week too. Martin deserves his spot and we should be reverting to a back four. With Sakho/Cissohko both having bad games thats enough for me to drop them next week. Agger hopefully will come in and seize the moment and be our man for the year :). Sakho/Toure will have their shots when our schedule gets more compact/injuries. For the cherry on top Enrique >>>> Cissohko. It's easy to overlook Enrique when Johnson can deputize over him. Enrique is one of the best LBs in England.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Did I say the goal was skrtel's fault? Or did I actually say he could have done better? The goal wasn't primarily his fault but he could have done better. Same for the Southampton goal too.

I'm not even criticising him really, I've repeatedly said he's done well enough since coming in. I've probably been one of his staunchest defenders on this site for months, you're way off par with your propaganda comment. Toure is a centre back and looks to be in good shape, I don't see why he can't play against West Brom a week after playing against Newcastle in a game he had very little to do in, I'm sure he'll be fine.

Skrtel may 'deserve' his spot in your eyes but in mine I think it's possible we might be better with a different combination of defenders for the time being, that doesn't have to mean I think Skrtel (or Sakho) are shit.

Soyasource

3-5-2 formation:

Mignolet​
Skrtel---Sahko---Agger​
Johnson---Lucas---Stevie---Enrique​
Coutinho​
Suarez---Sturridge​
4-2-3-1(attacking) formation:
Mignolet​
Johnson---Skrtel---Sahko---Enrique​
Lucas---Stevie​
Coutinho​
Victor-------------Suarez​
Sturrigde​
I predict a 3-1 scoreline, to us.

soberphobia

We just have too many good CB's and are trying to accommodate them with the 3 at the back thing. Which is better than last year when we didn't have enough and the one's we did have weren't in great form. It really is time for the manager to make his choice of a pairing and stick with it. That's why he earns the big bucks because he gets to make the big calls.

I think we have been ordinary for the most part this season but have ground out a decent points result. Time for the manager to pick his ideal team and the players to kick it up a gear and respond. I would like to see Alberto start if Coutinho isn't fit. No point buying players to fit your system and then not play them. 433 or 4231. I am not fussed between either but i would like to see us settle into the formation where we play better football than 3 at the back.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
boston red said:
Massive game here ol Stevie Clark turned us over in BR first game ..WB have a bit of form..Being at home shoud edge it
Turned us over twice last season, he knows the team quite well. I do agree with ILLOK and as a big Agger fan, I would certainly like to see him back in the team. He steadied the ship and allow either Skrtel or Toure to do their job with those last ditch tackles or chasing after their marker. He could also help organise the defence much better than all 3 names mentioned.

The rest up there should be quite standard and since Johnson is back I would like us to go back to 4 at the back, Henderson, Gerrard and Lucas in the middle and Moses, Suarez and Sturridge up top, interchanging with each other. That should be the best to keep building the team to a consistent way of playing.

Lastly, whether we get the lead or not, don't fucking taper off in the second half. Push on. If midfield is losing control or getting tired play Allen in the mix, take out either Henderson or Lucas. Stop sticking our thumb up our arse and wait till we get ourselves served, then react!

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
I don't want to see 3 CB's at home.Think it's about time for the reintroduction of DAgger and hopefully a clean sheet.With Skrtel replaced we will be able to play higher up the pitch and i would like to see Alberto given a run-out, think he could create chances for fun for SAS.

My team would be:

..........................................Mignolet.................................
Johnson...............Toure.........................DAgger.....................Cissohko
..............Henderson............Lucas................Gerrard............................
...........................................Alberto................................................
...................Suarez................................Sturridge............................

Think we will nick it 2-1.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
That match will be a real test for us, and a good indication if we have made any improvement on last season or not. Clarke and WBA did the double over us last season, so it's up to BR and his boys to find a solution this time around, against a strong, well-organized team.

Their last five matches read WDWDD. Among those five games, there is a win at Old Trafford, two draws against Arsenal (one in the league cup) and a draw at Stoke, which is never an easy place to go. They are six points behind us because of a difficult start to the season, but on recent form, they are probably better than us. They don't score many goals, but are rock-solid at the back.

So, we'll need a top performance to beat this lot. If we play like against Newcastle, we'll lose this game, plain and simple. We can and should expect an improved performance from our boys however, after a full week's training and rest.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Gerrard was MOTM last week and you want to drop him?? Madness.

Can't understand why so many want to go back to a midfield most people were complaining about for most of the season.

Hope Coutinho is fit enough to replace Moses.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
I'd dump Sahko for Agger on the pitch, and I'd dump anyone who uses the cringeworthy SAS on the forums for anyone who doesn't

Last season it was false 9's, this season it's cleats and SAS, and now just come across someone talking about when we "ace the prem"

Fuck I hate modern day football sometimes.

Red Tiger

If Coutinho is not fit enough, start with:

Suarez Sturridge
Alberto
Enrique Gerrard Henderson Johnson
Agger Sakho Toure
Mignolet

I really don't want Skrtel to be dropped but we need Sakho to handle Benteke and Agger to start probing from the back.

If we are not leading until half time: swap to a 4-4-2 and introduce Coutinho and Moses on the wings for Alberto and Agger.

Come on you Reds!

Lucas

It'd be nice to see Coutinho back, but I doubt he'll feature.

I'd like to see a front three of Moses - Sturridge - Suarez, then I think Alberto deserves a run out as the Attacking Mid based on his second half performance against Newcastle. It'd be interesting to see Gerrard and Henderson behind him, and see what they can drum up without Lucas. I'd also go back to four at the back, with Toure partnering Agger.

This is all speculation, mind you, and we seem to have been shat on by West Brom in recent years, although without Lukaku they are much weaker.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member

Hard choice but i picked Toure over Skrtel because as Illok suggested, the defense is more about teamwork than individuals. Toure imho is just a better organiser (replacing Carra for that from last year) plus he seems more of a threat at corners up the other end. I've been calling for a 4312 for a while now because we just don't seem to have enough bodies in the middle and no link from mid to attack. Along with that our mid keeps getting overrun so this formation seems to eliminate most of those problems (but does leave us a little narrow unless the FBs get forward which is why i prefer Enrique).

I doubt Coutinho can play an entire game but i'd prefer to see him on at the start and subbed off around 60 whatever the score (he'll need some game time before being thrown in against Arsenal). Bring Alberto or Allen on for him and maybe put Allen in Hendos place with Hendo further forward, his running hurting an already tired defense i hope. WBA seem to use counter attack more than most so the 3 protecting the back 4 should help counter this.

PS Dane, SAS may not sound cool but it's a lot easier to write than Daniel Sturridge and Luis Suarez :)

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
It's impossible to take anyone seriously who thinks West Brom have Benteke or who puts Coutinho in their line-ups :(

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Dane said:
I'd dump Sahko for Agger on the pitch, and I'd dump anyone who uses the cringeworthy SAS on the forums for anyone who doesn't

Last season it was false 9's, this season it's cleats and SAS, and now just come across someone talking about when we "ace the prem"

Fuck I hate modern day football sometimes.
Who was the first "false 9" then Dane?

Claymenza

ILLOK said:
I didn't realise I was suggesting that Skrtel should be fired. What I actually believe I suggested was that it may be better for the side if the most successful combination of defenders thus far be selected instead.

Toure and Agger have conceded 0 goals together in 3 games so far this season. There's your meritocracy.
Not sure if these 3 games tell the whole story since mignolet played a blinder there.

If we want to talk meritocracy, it works differently between the real world and football

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
zagueiro said:
It's impossible to take anyone seriously who thinks West Brom have Benteke or who puts Coutinho in their line-ups :(
You have a point about Benteke, but why not taking people seriously who put Coutinho in their line-ups? Is he injured again? I thought he was back in training since around a week. Add this week to it, and he should be ready to play a role. Whether BR will chose to start him or not is another question.

Status
Not open for further replies.