• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Pre-Match: West Brom Vs Liverpool, 2/2/14, 13:30 Hrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
another must win... wont mind even if we win ugly... i wont select the team... but we have to get 3 points by hook or crook!

bes

Mignolet
Flanno Skrtel Toure Cissokho
-----Gerrard
Hendo Coutinho
Sterling Suarez Sturridge

1-2 when attacking 2-1 when defending.

Take off Coutinho/Gerrard @ 70 minutes give Joe Allen some time before Arsenal. Let SaS switch off and defend like against Everton.

Anelka looks doubtful so theyll be playing longballs to Anichebe. If Agger/Kelly are available get them some minutes towards the end.

Not really many options to choose from and given our impressive performance against Everton we should be going with the same starting XI. Hopefully Allen is fit enough to be on the bench. The main thing which is going to determine this result is whether we play with the same intensity and take our chances or get complacent like we sometimes tend to do after good runs (eg. Hull away). Let's get the 3 points and head into the Arsenal game with confidence!

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
1330 games are shite. Not complaining about being in the telly again tho.

By rights we should piss all over these....which is usually where we fall down. Same team as the Derby, win by a goal or two.

KraznyIvan

Exact same team or Kelly at RB, Flanno at LB. Got to make more of an effort to hold onto the ball in this game, especially when we are in front.

jhr8

Same formation and tactics please, the derby was awesome to watch with Suarez and Sturridge all over the place, defenders not knowing who to mark and leaving gaps for Coutinho and Sterling.
Hopefully can get another clean sheet too.
​Think this one might be 3-0 for us.

Hopefully get Allen and Agger some minutes at the end if they are both fit enough for the bench, would like to see Coutinho played in the free central role again, see if he can even get himself a goal to fully restore his confidence.

Get in the 1 or 2 big signings (Konoplyanka and M'vila please) and a nice win here and suddenly January has been a great month.

Verbal80

I want 100% focus on this game. Any side thoughts of playing arsenal need to be oppressed. Winning this is more important then arsenal because 1; it's next and 2; beating the teams below you is always more important then the ones above you.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Sakho should be back for this? Maybe give him a 30 min run out at the end of the game so he has some match fitness prior to the Arsenal game.

LeoT

If we can win this one then we could be in a good position before the Arsenal game.

I say "if we can" because no game in this league is easy, every single point needs to be earned.

I would use this team:

Mignolet​
Flanno - Skrtel - Toure - Cissoko​
Hendo - Gerrard​
Coutinho​
Sterling ------------------------- Sturridge​
Suarez​

I would probably bring on Joe Allen for Coutinho for the last 20 minutes, move Hendo forward, and Allen next to Gerrard.

Anyone know how long Agger/Sakho are out for?

Redragbull

Same formation and intensity as the Everton game please. Defend resolutely and hit them where it hurts on the counter. We need to play as if were up against City for every game from now until the end of the season.

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
nimitzz said:
another must win... wont mind even if we win ugly... i wont select the team... but we have to get 3 points by hook or crook!
will be tough away game this for you. they held us and everton 1-1 and beaten united. think your win but could see it ending 3-2 helter skater win .

koptician

We'll go again!
redandwhite3 said:
will be tough away game this for you. they held us and everton 1-1 and beaten united. think your win but could see it ending 3-2 helter skater win .
Not if we play like we did with Everton. The troubles we had were self created (Villa at home) and partly due to international week (Hull away). Unlucky with Man City away and Chelsea away we were running on fumes. Defend as a team, collectively press at the right times and attack at pace...we should be fine.

You drew because as good as you are in midfield you still need more reliable finishing up front and a more steady stream of goals from other areas. Hence Draxler.

I am slightly wary of Pepe Mel though. Rate him as a manager.

redandwhite3

koptician said:
Not if we play like we did with Everton. The troubles we had were self created (Villa at home) and partly due to international week (Hull away). Unlucky with Man City away and Chelsea away we were running on fumes. Defend as a team, collectively press at the right times and attack at pace...we should be fine.

You drew because as good as you are in midfield you still need more reliable finishing up front and a more steady stream of goals from other areas. Hence Draxler.

I am slightly wary of Pepe Mel though. Rate him as a manager.
We draw as we played to defensive a midfield and were overun in midfield by their work horse players. lucky to get a point and if aneaka had taken his chance when they were 1-0 up to go 2-0 we would have lose

if you play like you did at spurs away and home to everton of course your win but you need to be wary of the pace they had up front. if i were rodgers i play a extra central midfieder instead of sterling to keep it tight at the back and then bring sterling of the bench second half

got to say mel did get them playing good football last night but their defence looked rocky which will be good news for suarez

lovepool

redandwhite3 said:
We draw as we played to defensive a midfield and were overun in midfield by their work horse players. lucky to get a point and if aneaka had taken his chance when they were 1-0 up to go 2-0 we would have lose

if you play like you did at spurs away and home to everton of course your win but you need to be wary of the pace they had up front. if i were rodgers i play a extra central midfieder instead of sterling to keep it tight at the back and then bring sterling of the bench second half

got to say mel did get them playing good football last night but their defence looked rocky which will be good news for suarez
West brom have 4 goals in 2 games with Mel as manager. Weren't you saying he was a defensive manager after the Everton game?

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
nimitzz said:
Every game from now on is.... 15 games, 15 wins and we finish no less than 4th.

Mel plays a high line, and quite attacking, we could exploit this like we have done against Spurs & Everton, the problem is Liverpool can play several ways so it is very very difficult for an opposing manager to second guess what we do at this moment, that is why most of our bad performances this season have been simply down to us tactically setting up wrong or playing poorly, Hull is a perfect example, show up for the last 15 minutes of that game and we probably win.

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
redandwhite3 said:

Sadly we don't have another fit central midfielder :(

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin

Same team as Everton, same tactics and same work ethic. If we get that, no problem.

Sturridge and Suarez can alternate playing upfront, and I'd like to see Kelly, Ibe and Alberto all get minutes if it's going well.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
zagueiro said:
Any idea when the last update was on Allen? Really would be good to see him at least back on the bench.

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
I'd play Kelly and Flanno as full backs ... Cissokho is too wasteful in possession and neither of them have ever really let us down.

Agree about Allen though, he would be really useful to have in reserve if we experience any of the problems we had in the first 30mins versus Villa.

All tough games at this stage but if we can control the middle we have enough up front to take them.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
In theory the same formation we played against Everton should be absolutely fine for this, West Brom aren't going to dominate us in the midfield and I'd think there's a good few goals in this for us.

Quite confident for this one.

redandwhite3

zagueiro said:
very true. if joe allen was fit i would start him instead of sterling to be honest as you need to make sure defence is protected in away games. you let in seven goals in your last three away games so it key you have enough enforcements in midfield.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
WBA away will be tough. But if we played the way we did vs everton, we ought to win. Will be interesting to see how BR shapes up. Allen is fit isnt he? May be allen hendo gerrard as mid with coutinho suarez sturridge as front 3.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Same team again but earlier subs this time if we are leading. I'd rather we take the risk and if we're say 3-0 up just sub our most important players. May lose a goal but i'd rather win 3-2 and have 3 important players subbed at half time than 3-0 and give them 5 minutes break at the end. I know it's a week till Arsenal but that's going to be a game where all our players will have to run their socks off, West Brom (especially without Anelka) may cause problems but nothing like Arsenal will and i expect us to have too much for them.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Would pick the same side as Mascot's although i would play Joe Allen in place of Coutinho if he's fit, hopefully a midfield of Allen, Hendo and Stevie will control the game, we have enough firepower with SSS to score at least 5.

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
Win on Saturday and were only a point behind Chelsea who are away to City on Monday.

lovepool

lightdrizzle said:
Win on Saturday and were only a point behind Chelsea who are away to City on Monday.
West brom game is Sunday. Yeah hopefully we can keep the pressure on them

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
Arminius said:
Any idea when the last update was on Allen? Really would be good to see him at least back on the bench.
All I've heard is Rodgers say that he could risk him against Everton and he might be fine, or he might exacerbate the problem he has, so I suspect the fact that BR saw sense and didn't risk him. I suspecting he won;t be back until properly fit........not sure when that will be though :(

Superior Complex

I think he will leave Allen out of this game, maybe last 10 minutes and also Sakho. I hope Kelly is left on the bench also, and starts with Cissokho as for the arsenal game we can have a somewhat fit Kelly and Flanno for the full back positions.

The confidence coming into this game should get us through anyways, with out strikers alone.

Coutinho, Sturridge, Sterling and the return of Suarez scoring is great going into the Arsenal game.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
nimitzz said:
Do we really have to flag up each game as must win? I can't stand the strain of it. Can someone let me know when the next game is not a must win so I can come out from behind the sofa.

Status
Not open for further replies.