• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Pre-Match: West Ham v. Liverpool (6 April 16:00)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhYaBeauty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMb_6-1NGfE

As Brendan says (3:45), it's all about the next game, "and the next game is Manchester City... no it's not, the next game is West Ham" lol

This one could be tricky, with Fat Sam's anti-football tactics. We're generally better against teams that come out and try to play football against us, so I wouldn't expect a five goal drubbing, but I could be wrong. I'd predict a narrow 2-1 or 3-1. We'll have to be careful to avoid conceding on a set piece, as Carroll is obviously a danger as is Nolan.

I'm not sure what we're going to do here; all signs point toward Brendan moving back to the diamond for this one for the added defensive ability of it but I would personally prefer to see him stick with the 4-3-3. I just love the balance that it offers and the sheer offensive power we get from having Sterling up with Sturridge and Suarez, plus the added responsibility that it gives the midfield actually makes them perform better, in my opinion. I'd like to see Sakho start for Agger to give us that aerial presence at the back to deal with Carroll, but I doubt Rodgers will make that change. So we could see:
Mignolet​
Johnson Skrtel Agger Flanagan​
Gerrard​
Hendo Allen​
Coutinho​
Sturridge Suarez​
OR​
Mignolet​
Johnson Skrtel Agger Flanagan​
Gerrard​
Hendo Coutinho​
Sterling Suarez Sturridge​

Needless to say another must win game. Although West Ham have a poor record this season at home against the top teams (see below) they are exactly the kind of team we tend to struggle against. They are a physical side and will look to play route 1 football due to their aerial threat. The likes of Carroll and Downing will no doubt be pumped up and want to spoil our chances of a league title. Given our frailities in defending set pieces and effectively dealing with physical forwards, I'm worried they are going to nick a goal from a defensive lapse and then shut up shop. Therefore I would be be very inclined to start Sakho in this match. My team as follows:

Mignolet​
Johnson Skrtel Sakho Flanno​
Gerrard​
Henderson Coutinho​
Sterling Sturridge Suarez​
West Ham's record at home against the top 7 teams (yet to play us and Spurs):

Chelsea: 0-3
Man City: 1-3
Arsenal: 1-3
Everton: 2-3
Man Utd: 0-2

5 games- 5 losses.

honduran_red

Really tough match. We have to be on top of them 90 minutes to get through this one. Also, we have to avoid giving them set pieces, knowing Big Sam that is all they are going to play for on this match. I think we should continue playing our current squad although I wouldnt mind seeing Sakho back in the side. What a beast! Let's hope we can win this one and continue with our wonderful run, after that it's City. Come on.

Side note, was just browsing the table and Everton are 4 points off Arenal with a game in hand. Should they beat them on Sunday and win the extra game they will snatch 4th. Dont know about you guys but Id rather have Everton than Arsenal on 4th. Cant stant their fans talking about how they havent missed a champions league since god knows when, and thet still havent won it! Just imagine a merseyside derby, quarter finals. :eek:

Celtic Dragon

TIA's Tusken Druid
3-1 I reckon. Nolan could cause us problems, but I don't see any of the rest of their team giving us too much hassle.

Mignolet

Johnson
Skrtel
Agger
Flanagan

Gerrard
Henderson
Coutinho

Sterling
Suarez
Sturridge

koptician

We'll go again!
They're going to have to come at us so the diamond would work better.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Not too sure what i'd go for here. I can see the benefits of the diamond in a game like this but i just wouldn't want to drop either Sterling or Cou. I think this game is the one we need Sakho back in for though. Agger, while great on the ground isn't so good in the air and that will be their main focus. I think we'll stick with the 433 as i don't see them using their midfield much, just lumping the ball forward so beating them in the middle should be easy enough then count on our attackers to get a few. Just hope we bring Stevie off if we're far enough ahead, it would be a shame to pick up his final yellow 1 game before we need him (i know we need him for Chelsea as well but i believe the City game is more important to have SG available for).

All Day

TIA Reserve Team
West Ham has been a tricky one in the past but realistically they don't worry me as much as our trips to Norwich and Palace later in the year. West Ham are not really close to relegation so they won't be fighting for their life. Sure their style has been tricky for us to breakdown in the recent past but I think that we have the tools now to get a win.

This is the kind of game where we need Coutinho. We have been rotating Allen, Coutinho, and Sterling depending on the type of opponent and I think that this will be a Coutiniho and Sterling pairing. West Ham will likely take a page out of Sunderland's book and park the bus and we will need pace and creativity to get through.

And I hope that Brendan takes a long look at starting Sakho this game. I know our back 4 have been solid the past month but where we have struggled are in games with a forward who is strong in the air. Bentake caused us no end of troubles vs. Villa, Crouch vs. Stoke, Sunderland scored after Jones came in. Needless to say, part of the reason we bought Sakho was because of his arial prowess. Well lets introduce Andy Carroll to our new monster at the back.

And I have seen a few articles talking about the revenge factor from Downing, Carroll and Cole. There is a reason that we sold them. They are not as good as what we have. Let them try to get revenge but I don't know if they have the quality to do anything about it if we are on our game.

CJ_LFC

I am boss!
0-1 win and I'd be happy. Still 3 points, I wouldn't change the team from Spurs.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
West Ham won't bother with a midfield battle. The ball will be knocked from defence in the direction of a massive Geordie strikers head, who will look for a knock down or a cheap foul. FatSamBall demands we look to get our most creative players on the pitch to deal with the nine man defence they will be deploying. To say they'll sit deep would be an understatement - they are probably sitting there now.

Rodgers won't play Sakho as I think he probably sees the defence as settled for the season, but I would be very wary of Carroll's aerial threat and be looking to make the most of Sakho's dominating style.

The rest of the team - once you accept that that you need to get Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho and Sterling on the pitch, and we won't have to win a midfield battle - picks itself.

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
We are playing a team that has fans that boo them so they cant be having a good time..
They are anti Christ football we are the holy army with Moses on the wing.They do not have a chance.
I see us winning and Chelsea have a tough game against the barbarians Stoke.I see them drawing.
City will win their game also as it is prophesied in the scripture of Ian ST John.But God will deal with them eventually as this is our year.Salvation and revenge shall be ours and those that smite us shall be paid in kind.Hallowed be Brendan.Amen. :D

still buzzing from Sunday

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
Unlike Spurs, I can see Nolan being on a mission to wind up Gerrard...............

Walter Sobchak

Lucas or Allen said:
We are playing a team that has fans that boo them so they cant be having a good time..
They are anti Christ football we are the holy army with Moses on the wing.They do not have a chance.
I see us winning and Chelsea have a tough game against the barbarians Stoke.I see them drawing.
City will win their game also as it is prophesied in the scripture of Ian ST John.But God will deal with them eventually as this is our year.Salvation and revenge shall be ours and those that smite us shall be paid in kind.Hallowed be Brendan.Amen. :D

still buzzing from Sunday
Finally a dogma even atheists, even anti-theists, can subscribe to! Quite befitting since, as we all know, we already have the uber-God Fowler on our side. So amen to this!

Hoping for some divine intervention tonight that ends with a few minor injuries to some key players and maybe a red card to Nolan. As many stated before, the 50 mill man and Downing will be fired up, but to no avail. One of them lacks ability, the other belief. Hope to see Sakho in this one, just in case they get close to lucky.

1-4 LFC and 9 in a row.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
I don't see Brendan picking both young attacking maestros (Raheem and Philippe)....Joe will come in to control the midfield and help Stevie avoid a yellow.

It was kinda funny yesterday when Stevie was about to really go for it and get closer to mark any Spurs player on the ball, how he'd back up a little...I can't say he was walking on egg shells....It was more like when you are 15 at the movies and you keep your arm over the girl without really "going for it" and not taking the extra step to get closer.....

I think Brendan will tell Joe to do the blocking in front of Stevie...

starshadow

I'd definitely play Sakho in this,

I know the defence is settling in nicely but we can't risk the geordie donkey grabbing a goal due to sheer height and power.

Im more worried for this game than i am for City..at least they play football, not like Fat Sam.

kwala

TIA Regular
Definitely a game for the 433, with Sakho back in to handle Carrol. Would love to see Flanagan crunch Downing!

Looks on paper a tricky fixture this, big sams UFC tactics vs our control, speed, pressure and quality. We need to start fast again, get them on the back foot, and get our noses infront, don't fancy chasing the game, deep into the second half! Not sure my heart could take it!

Any win will do at this stage, 3 points, and move on.

anglian_red

My Team

22 Mignolet

2 Johnson 37 Skrtel 5 Agger 38 Flanagan

14 Henderson 8 Gerrard 24 Allen

31 Sterling 15 Sturridge 7 Suarez

Subs; Jones, Sakho, Toure, Moses, Coutinho, Lucas, Aspas

I changed this halfway through writing it, as I had Coutinho in there instead of Sterling.

West Ham are a bag of shit, let's pin them back in their own half all game and throw pace at them. Their main threat is long balls and set pieces, so conceding as few corners as possible is a priority.

When Carroll was here, Skrtel used to stand between him and the opposition player on set pieces, I expect Skrtel to be grabbing Carroll's shirt all day.

pottymonster

Peanut butter!
I wouldn't play the diamond in this one. When we've played as a diamond we've tended to have trouble out on the flanks, which is where a team like West Ham are going to attack from. I'd probably stick with the same lineup and formation as against Tottenham, but I might insert Sakho for Agger. I would leave that call to Brendan though and decide based on how things look in training.

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
Maybe Carroll and Downing will throw the game out of love for there old team and fans :ph34r:

Reactions: bes

starshadow

anglian_red said:
My Team

22 Mignolet

2 Johnson 37 Skrtel 5 Agger 38 Flanagan

14 Henderson 8 Gerrard 24 Allen

31 Sterling 15 Sturridge 7 Suarez

Subs; Jones, Sakho, Toure, Moses, Coutinho, Lucas, Aspas

I changed this halfway through writing it, as I had Coutinho in there instead of Sterling.

West Ham are a bag of shit, let's pin them back in their own half all game and throw pace at them. Their main threat is long balls and set pieces, so conceding as few corners as possible is a priority.

When Carroll was here, Skrtel used to stand between him and the opposition player on set pieces, I expect Skrtel to be grabbing Carroll's shirt all day.
Good shout for the actual team, I'd still have Sakho in there though.

gr_sounder

I would bring in Sakho for this one if he's ready and chomping at the bit to get in the game.

Basically a 4-3-3 for me with a midfield of Henderson and Allen doing the running with Coutinho in front of them. Then put Sturridge, Sterling and Suarez up front.

Lets face it, they're going to defend in numbers and deploy the long ball. When we win it, they will retreat. I'd prefer to have as much creativity up front as we can, and solid workers/defenders in the back that can move the ball forward and this seems the best way to do it.

I really don't think overlapping fullbacks are going to be important, as they'll be sitting so far deep it won't really matter.

Expect us to attack with 5 and defend with 6+keeper (Henderson is the one both attacking and defending) for the most part (though obviously everyone will be involved in attacking and defending as has been our style).

This could be a game that Skrtel scores again and goes ahead of Sterling if Raheem isn't careful.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Would love to try Agger in DM for this game just ahead of Skrtel and Sakho. Give Stevie a rest to ensure he is able to play ManCity. Lose him for the one game instead of two

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
ILLOK said:
Why would you play agger in that position ahead of lucas?
west ham lack any kind of ground game, will be hoofing it up the pitch to Carrol and Nolan.

Agger can shadow Carrol out of the game

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Isn't that what you've put sakho in there for?

We shouldn't be showing them that much respect. United didn't concede there with carrick at centre back.

Concentrate on our own game and we'll win this.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
One thing I noted about Westham against Manchester United was the amount of times Man Utd counter attacked them, did Westham give them too much credit? I know they didn't park the bus, I think an early goal for Liverpool will benefit us and the environment the fans are on a short fuse as it is. The bullying and pressure is key.

Then again it took us til the 42nd minute in the home tie...

As for trying stuff out.... no thanks

Bobbinho

Fat Sam is going to park the bus big time in this one, i'll be surprised if they even attempt to play the game, the same tactics that saw them take a point from Chelsea will surely be employed against us & then some...

They will try to frustrate us, that's for sure, horrible side to play against & we will have to keep cool heads for this, can't stand Fat Sam's football/thugball, think we should go with the same line up, bringing Sakho in at this stage could upset the back line, Agger hasn't done an awful lot wrong lately, so i'd be tempted to go with the same CB's, could change it if we needed...bottom line will be that it will be up to us to break them down, i think if we just keep focussed on playing our game we'll get enough chances & we'll win.

Momentum is very much with us now, we must take full advantage of that & push on, really don't mind if we win ugly in this one, don't think it gets more ugly than Fat Sam's West Ham...

anglian_red

Let's not go changing our gameplan radically just for West Ham. Don't go changing the defence, moving centre backs into midfield and all other things just to accomodate Fat Sam's hoofing as though they're Bayern Munich.

Johnny T.

Still Grumpy....
Nolan will pick up a red against Sunderland tonight.

I reckon Stevie will sit this one out, with City on mind. Lucas will start, with Allen, Hendo and Coutinho in a diamond. Same back four, no Sahko until injury or suspension dictates.

Status
Not open for further replies.