• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

PRE MATCH: West Ham vs Liverpool (EPL), Monday February 4th 2019, 20:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
Liverpool's form for the last 5 games has an unwanted result towards the bottom of the form list, as well as another unwanted, yet grateful, result at the top - WLWWD - 10 points, 2 home wins, 1 away win, 1 home draw, 1 away loss, 1 clean sheet, 7 goals conceded, 12 goals scored. Liverpool are 1st in the EPL, 61 points and counting, 5 points clear, 14 league games to play.

West Ham are 12th in the league, and the form for the last 5 games has a lot of red - LDWLL - 4 points, 3 away losses, 1 home draw, 1 home win. They have only scored 3 goals while conceding 9. West Ham have a goal difference of -7 (12th in the league), and currently have the joint 14th best defense in the EPL, at 37 goals conceded. They have scored 30, which is joint 10th in the league. West Ham are currently a mid table team, and should be safe from relegation. West Ham's home form has them at 5 wins, 2 draws and 5 losses.

The Liverpool squad welcomes Milner back from suspension, and we will probably need him to play right back again. Trent and Gomez are not yet ready, the rest of the squad is fine. West Ham have some maybe's such as Fabianski, Arnautovic, and Cresswell. Nasri and Wilshere should miss the game.

Liverpool won the reverse fixture 4-0 with a impressive performance. The MOM award was won by Milner with 38% of the vote, with Mane at 30% even thou he scored two goals, and then Keita with 18%. The game statistics are as expected for a Liverpool home game. The possession (65% to 35%), shots (18 to 5), shots on target (8 to 2), corners (5 to 4), and we took the foul count (14 to 9).

West Ham are slightly more adventurous at home, so we might avoid the obligatory bus. Liverpool really, really, need to sort out the defense. The defense has helped us out so much this year, so we need this solid base to get us back on track. I personally think this game is more important than playing after a loss.

I think this will be close to the standard lineup, with Milner at right back. So here is my first choice lineup:

Code:
               Alisson
Milner  Lovren   Virgil   Robertson
          Henderson   Fabinho
        Gini   Firmino   Mane
                 Salah
or possibly:

Code:
               Alisson
Milner  Lovren   Virgil   Robertson
          Henderson   Fabinho
        Shaqiri   Firmino   Mane
                 Salah
0 - 2 to Liverpool, a win, clean sheet, control game, win every stat in the game minus the foul count, injury free, and shut up everyone who's opinion I don't care about.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
Glad Milner is back to slot into right back. But boy do we miss TAA and Gomez. Our defence doesn’t look the same without them.
And West Ham’s form looks pretty bad. With that Wimbledon defeat as well it’s not a happy place right now.
I just hope they don’t play with a ‘point to prove’ performance against us.
For some reason I never look forward to play away to West Ham, though I’m not sure why. Is our record that terrible.

Anyway, any win will do. I’m going for 2-1.

jaffod

Should be in better shape for this one. VVD and Fabinho over their illness which I think still affected them both v Leicester, Milner to slot in at RB.

I'd stick with Matip and would probably drop Shaqiri who has been poor since the United game. Hendo-Fabinho-Gini in the middle with Gini given licence to push forward in support of the attack.

I notice West Ham are top of the injury league on Physioroom with 11 injuries, therefore I expect them all to make Lazarus-type recoveries and be full strength Monday night.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Fancy us for this, and we’ll see if the team has a reaction in them. Need to, cos I can’t see Arsenal doing much.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
VVD and matip it will be.
At this rate that 16 year old we have will be starting against Bayern.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
I didn't like Milner defensively against Palace and Felipe Anderson is also a dangerous player. Would prefer Fabinho. Yeah, ideally you'd want Fabinho in midfield, but it's about balance here and I'd use him there in what will hopefully be the "final" game before Trent returns. In that case, Hendo and Gini pick themselves in the midfield two. So I'm sorry but Millie stays on the bench for me. I wanted Lovren in for Matip but Dejan is out for this one so it will have to be Matip. I'd shift Mane to the right side for extra protection on that side and give Keita a start on the left. Just about keeps his starting place on his last performance over Shaqiri and Lallana + style (Shaqiri clearly not even an option to play on the left and Lallana lacking rhythm). I want Bobby to cause all sorts of problems to the likes of Rice and Noble. Salah to do the same to their CB's. I see West Ham will have a few important players just about to return against us or miss on the final fitness test. Pellegrini says Fabinski should be okay, Cresswell (if he's out then it's Masuaku) and Arnautovic are still certain doubts, Nasri is out for another week. They won't play with CM's as they don't have them, but I think we can then expect the hard working likes of Snodgrass (possibly to play on his mate Robbo, though he was also used centrally when West Ham played more of a 4-3-3) and Antonio (to try and bully us with his physicality).

Alisson
Fabinho Matip vDijk Robertson
Wijnaldum Henderson
Mane Firmino Keita
Salah

*Subs: Mignolet, Milner, Moreno, Lallana, Shaqiri, Sturridge, Origi.

*would love Camacho in on the bench and to drop Sturridge or Moreno par example but there you go, we'll probably go with the safe bet of a fully senior bench.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Fabinho central midfield. I don’t think that can be compromised.

Allison, virgil, Fabinho then the front three.

Jurgen to work his magic off that spine. Don’t remove a single vertibrea though please.

The Infamous

Not a fan of this Fabinho rb shout. He has never played there for us. Also his height and long legs aren’t used well at fullback. Also doubt he can run as much as Milner on the over lap.

RedYank

I'm a bit of a worry-wart since Wednesday. What was supposed to be a more fit, rested, squad...is suddenly still banged up and being patched together. Hopefully, will not be white-knuckles on Monday!

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
Is TAA fit? Or are we gonna see Felipe Anderson murder Milner out wide on the right?

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Would play Fabinho in the midfield, we miss him too much when he's not there.

Would go with this team:

.......................... Becker...................
Milner.......Matip........ Virgil....... Robertson
......... Henderson...... Fabinho..............
...................... Wijnaldum...................
Salah............... Firmino..............Mane

1-2 Redmen.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Cmon @nobluff, this has to be the start of a 14 match winning streak... ok I’ll even accept 12 wins and 2 draws.

West Ham are a bit hot and cold. We should have enough, but we should have had enough against Leicester.

Not convinced about a midfield with Shaqiri and Keita - they could be good bench options if we start with hendo Gini and fab.

I do think we will do it - let’s hope there’s no snow on the pitch.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
I would like to go back to a 4-2-3-1 with the Henderson/Fabinho pairing in the middle. Think if we add Keita/Shaq as a #10 playing off Bobby moving between the lines it will open up some diagonal balls against that West Ham back line. Mane and Salah cutting in between their FB and CB

One thing both Keita and Shaq do well is turn quickly with the ball with their head up. Transition players and we need that link up play for quick switches from defensive to attack and it’s something Henderson was good at 4years ago as well. Still prefer him higher up and backtracking rather than deeper, possible that with Keita being able to cover deeper from time to time, that if we get through the first 5-10 and look solid at the back then Henderson can have licence to move forward more often and cause some overloads on his side of the pitch. But it has to be quick and fluid, if we give the opponents too much time to settle in on top of their 18 most PL clubs prove difficult to break down

We could really use someone who has an accurate shot from 25yds who can hit a ball with some swerve and cause a loose ball in the box and/or a poachers’ opportunity

MW2833

Want to try the 4-3-3 with Keita and Fab as a single pivot with Hendo sometimes coming back to help out
Alisson
Milner-Matip-VVD-Robbo
Hendo-Fab-Keita
Salah-Firmino-Mane

I don't think Wijnaldum is good enough to play in an advanced role anymore and Keita had started to run the game before he was taken off at Leicester, so hopefully, he will do well here. He also did well against West Ham last time.

Shaq to come off the bench and score a beautiful free kick
4-1 Liverpool

sms1986

We'll look much better than we did against Leicester, West Ham aren't pushovers but I think we'll win this 3-1.

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
Crucial game this. (Aren't they all ?) Fail to win here and some serious self-doubt might start to spread through the team. Fab has to start in the middle for my money , Milly probably at RB but I don't think Hendo did much wrong on Wednesday. Start fast and bag a couple of quick goals so we can all relax.

1-3

RodM

I'd be tempted to try Fabinho at RB but Milner actually did OK there - just ran ragged by Zaha.

I suspect the best bet would be to concentrate on our most effective midfield and fill in the gaps with the competent.

Incidentally, is this on Sky or BT? I can't see it listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.