• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre-Match | Wolverhampton vs Liverpool | PL Matchday 24 | Thursday January 23rd 20:00h | Molineux

Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
@Alright Now not giving me time to breathe.

Games on Thursday and Sunday - throwback to dark Europa League times.

One game at a time doesn’t work anymore if you win the league in january.

vs Wolves

Alisson
TAA Gomez VvD Robertson
Ox Hendo Gini
Salah Firmino Mané​

vs Shrews

Adrian
Hoever Matip SvdB Larouci
Lallana Fabinho
Eliott Shaqiri Minamino
Origi​

Y.N.W.A.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
@GermanRed you've missed out Williams for the Shrewsbury game. Swap him for VdB and put Hoever at CB and it makes a lot more sense. Also think Chirivella gets another game and Jones should be ahead of Elliot.

Team for Wolves looks about right but I would think Fabinho will get a start there.

Going to be another tough game for us and I'm sure Wolves will want to avenge their perceived injustice from the other week, but I do think we'll win. I think there'll be a bit more space for us than there was at Anfield and we'll expose it. 2-1 or 3-1 would be my guess.

Alright Now

@Alright Now not giving me time to breathe.

Games on Thursday and Sunday - throwback to dark Europa League times.

One game at a time doesn’t work anymore if you win the league in january.

vs Wolves

Alisson
TAA Gomez VvD Robertson
Ox Hendo Gini
Salah Firmino Mané​

vs Shrews

Adrian
Hoever Matip SvdB Larouci
Lallana Fabinho
Eliott Shaqiri Minamino
Origi​

Y.N.W.A.
Thank you, my friend. Appreciate the effort. Like the inclusion of the second game too.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
The last of our 'tricky January run' that we've somehow managed to pick up maximum points and clean sheets throughout.

I might have settled for point back when the fixtures were published, but in the here in now, predicting anything less than a 2-0 wouldn't be worthwhile, though it will probably be a hard fought 3 points.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I like them all but I’m a huge fan of Hoever at RB.
Williams appears to be ahead of him for the moment. I like Hoever there too though.

Van Den Berg can't be getting in the team and not Neco Williams and Curtis Jones, even if they play in different positions. The latter two have been outstanding, the former pretty terrible.

First things first though, Wolves...

Craig_Johnston

I'm very down under, but my wife disagrees
Wolves is one of the trickiest of our remaining fixtures. They seem to always give us problems. Having said that, we are a juggernaut at the moment and are pretty much unstoppable. Fab, Hendo, Gini is likely to be the midfield in my humble opinion.

Plamen

Wolves is one of the trickiest of our remaining fixtures. They seem to always give us problems. Having said that, we are a juggernaut at the moment and are pretty much unstoppable. Fab, Hendo, Gini is likely to be the midfield in my humble opinion.
Do they really give us a lot of problems though?We have played them 3 times in the PL in the recent time and they lost all of these matches and didnt score a goal.

Plamen

Our record against this Wolves team in the PL is very good.We have 3 wins out of 3 matches and zero goals conceded.We know how to beat them and I am confident that we will do it again.But if it ends in a draw it wont be a disaster.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Wolves aren't easy,but the way we approach most games neither are we!
We do need to field a strong side and I'm sure we will.
The Shrewsbury game is the one where a lot will be rested!

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
One of the toughest remaining matches for us in the league. I'd take a draw and a point out of this. Easier fish to fry with the next 5-6 matches where we hopefully get the title done,

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Dont understand combining two matches in one thread, I was doing ok in opening cup matches!!

Anyway.....
With a "rest" weekend coming up start as yesterday. Only query is the third midfield spot. With Wolves utilising the width of the pitch I can see Fabinho starting and Hendo shuffled to the right to assist TAA.

This is potentially our hardest game for a few weeks, and three points would be immense. Sheffield United could feasibly take points from City on Wednesday, and a win on Thursday would be exceptional.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Hard game ahead. This lot is maybe the only one this season which truly battered us when we met them at Anfield. We got through with a lot of luck that day. So, a much better performance will be needed to beat them again. They'll play in front of their fans, will be absolutely bouncing after that comeback against Southampton, and with the clear feeling that they have something to amend after that biased result at Anfield.

So, don't expect any stroll in the park. They are going to ask the utmost from our lads, and if there is one game I can see us lose this remaining season, it's this one, even more so than the one at Abu Dhabi in a few weeks.

I hope that Fabinho will be fit enough to be included right from the start. He played roughly 10 minutes yesterday, and immediately stabilised our midfield, after Lallana's introduction for Ox had made us a bit wobbly for a few minutes. Against Wolves, his inclusion in the starting line-up would be highly welcome.

Otherwise, go with the same players if they are fit, and then ring the changes for Shrewsbury.

RodM

We need to go all in against Wolves and rotate against Shrewsbury to rest some of the guys.

Wolves have been a pretty decent side since they came back up but I took a distinct dislike to them after the game at Anfield with all the gamesmanship. I can't stand that and I think they are better players than that. Does that just go with the territory when you get too many Portuguese players together?

Assuming there are no injuries from the weekend I would go with a similar lineup but start Fabinho In place of Ox with Hendo and Gini ahead of him. Possibly look to bring Ox on in the second half as legs are tiring.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
For Wolves we will probably go a similar side

Alisson
Trent Gomez Van Dijk Robbo
Henderson
Ox-Chamb Wijnaldum
Salah Firmino Mane
The shrews game can then be rotated, but from the squad this time rather than the U23s. Lots of lads needing a run out.

Adrian
Williams Matip Lovren Larouci
Fabinho
Lallana Jones
Elliot Minamino Origi​

iftikhar

I think the only change for the Wolves game will be Freaking Fabulous Fabinho coming in for AOC. Wolves are a combative team and Klopp might prefer a robust midfield. Shrewsbury game will involve a lot of senior players (they aren't Toffies after all). Permitting fitness all of Adrian, Lovren, Matip, Lallana, AOC, Origi, Shaqiri, Takumi and even Fabinho might feature.

jaffod

Hard game ahead. This lot is maybe the only one this season which truly battered us when we met them at Anfield. We got through with a lot of luck that day. So, a much better performance will be needed to beat them again. They'll play in front of their fans, will be absolutely bouncing after that comeback against Southampton, and with the clear feeling that they have something to amend after that biased result at Anfield.

So, don't expect any stroll in the park. They are going to ask the utmost from our lads, and if there is one game I can see us lose this remaining season, it's this one, even more so than the one at Abu Dhabi in a few weeks.

I hope that Fabinho will be fit enough to be included right from the start. He played roughly 10 minutes yesterday, and immediately stabilised our midfield, after Lallana's introduction for Ox had made us a bit wobbly for a few minutes. Against Wolves, his inclusion in the starting line-up would be highly welcome.

Otherwise, go with the same players if they are fit, and then ring the changes for Shrewsbury.
:unsure: Not sure where any of that's come from. The match stats show in our favour for most things, we scored a perfectly good goal and they had one ruled offside. Both went to VAR and the correct decisions were made. They did pin us back a bit in the last 20 minutes but that seems to be a deliberate strategy for us at the moment, get a lead and manage the game out.
But I agree this will be a difficult game. They aren't as tight at the back recently and I can see us scoring a couple because we'll certainly create chances. Defend as we have been and we should be fine.
It would be a massive boost going into this game if Abu Dhabi drop points tomorrow night.

Plamen

But this isnt true.Except the goal that was rightly disallowed they had only 2 clear chances so I don't understand from where you have gotten this notion that they battered us.According to your logic Spurs also battered us because they had 2 clear chances in the last 20 minutes.It was a nervy game at Anfield but we were better than them and deserved the victory.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
I know what I saw then, I remember what was written afterwards, and said by the respective managers, and I remember also how controversial the VAR decisions were, and stand thus by my point.

Feel free to disagree though, lads, I've no problem with that.
It wasn't the best of performances and they did give us more trouble than most, but saying that they battered us gives them too much credit. No team has battered us since Spurs and that was more than 2 years ago.

As far as the upcoming match is concerned as long as we keep doing what we're doing, we'll be fine.

Sweeting

Alisson
TAA Gomez vDijk Robertson
Henderson Fabinho Wijnaldum
Salah Firmino Mane​

Going to be a tough game but we should be much fitter and fresher than them - they are a bit of a mess at the moment with injuries leaving them with about 11 senior players fit.

I fancy us to do a similar job as last season and get a workmanlike 2-0 win.

Status
Not open for further replies.