PRE MATCH: Wolves v Liverpool (FA Cup 7/1/19 1945 KO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
Nobluff's victorious record has gone so I think it's ok for someone else to start a pre match thread now isn't it?

Hope we take this seriously, it's a big chance to get our hands on some silverware. With that in mind and 5 days until the Brighton game I would go with a strong attacking side.I would give Bobby and Gini a break and play Mane on the right. Reckon we will draw and win the replay. 1-1.

Side I wouldn't mind seeing:

.....................Becker..................
Trent.....Lovren.....Van Dijk....... Robertson
....................Fabinho...........................
........Keita....................... Shaqiri.........
Mane.............. Sturridge...............Salah

Last edited:

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
I actually agree with that midfield, mainly because i think that midfield needs some playing time together and the ones that played yesterday seemed tired from halftime onwards especially Gini. I'd fully expect Robbo to be given the day off though because of the baby and either Clyne to come in or (and i know this wont be popular) I'd prefer Clyne on the right, Moreno on the left and give both FBs and Milner the day off (Milner also didnt seem up to his usual standard just coming back from injury).

Only other change i'd consider is maybe Origi instead of DS. I think both need playing time but maybe Origi is a better fit against Wolves who play high and Origi is a faster player on the break

Incognito

The Normal One
Nobluff's victorious record has gone so I think it's ok for someone else to start a pre match thread now isn't it?

Hope we take this seriously, it's a big chance to get our hands on some silverware. With that in mind and 5 days until the Brighton game I would go with a strong attacking side.I would give Bobby a rest and play Mane on the right. Reckon we will draw and win the replay. 1-1.

Side I wouldn't mind seeing:

.....................Becker..................
Trent.....Lovren.....Van Dijk....... Robertson
....................Fabinho...........................
........Keita....................... Shaqiri.........
Mane.............. Sturridge...............Salah
Form is temporary, class is permanent, would still want @nobluff to start the threads for league games :tongue:

Agree with the mid. But I would like to give the squad players a chance for this one. Migs, Clyne, Sturridge, Lallana, Moreno and Origi perhaps, maybe 2-3 of them at the very least. But the loss yesterday might make us want to amend that and regian our momentum and knowing Klopp he might start with a very strong line up. Just W without injuries is what I ask for!!!

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Wouldn't surprise me if we went 3 at the back here, but rest vDijk and play Fabinho and Gini either side of Lovren. To match Wolves' threat with the aim of resting some players. Klopp already mentioned that possibility with us lacking CB cover at the moment, either Fabinho comes in to cover at CB in a back 4 or we play one or two midfielders there in a 3 at the back (like we did at Brighton away last season, when we had Can, Lovren and Gini at CB). Clyne and Moreno at wing backs. Shaqiri and Keita will start for sure, as will probably Sturridge.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
Oh. Who else can replace VVD? Jones maybe?
Jones?:shocked: He's an attacking midfielder which kinda rules him out.

If we want to leave the Big Man out of the side then i don't think this is the game. I suppose the only option right now would be Fabinho but that would only be in a dire emergency. I think with Matip and Gomez unavailable there's no real option but to play Van Dijk.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Uhm.... it's only a trend if it happens more than once... so @nobluff still gets my vote.

FA Cup and Champs League, anyone should be able to have the honour. So Wolves eh.... play whoever that's available that didn't start against City. Use this to keep players fit and also put them in the Jan shopping window!

Colorado Red

TIA New Signing
Wolves are a good side, it’s an away game (correct?), and although it’s FA cup and not the league, we’ll want to bounce back with a win. We’ll want to balance some moderate rotation with putting out a side that can expect to win.

Players who could use a rest:
Robbo
Virgil
Gini
Mo

Players who could benefit from more minutes:
Naby
Shaq
Sturridge
Lallana

Thoughts on the lineup:
GK- maybe this is one for Simon, finally give Alisson a day off.
RB- with Clyne leaving on loan, and Gomez still a couple of weeks away from fitness, I’d be protecting TAA for the league games. Could see Milner slotting in here, or the off-chance of a debut for Ki-Jana Hoever.
CBs- due to lack of options, think we’ll see VVD and Lovren. VVD could use a rest just to recharge, but don’t see it happening. Lovren actually needs the game to put his poor showing against City behind him. The one option to rest VVD would be to put Fabinho in the back line for this one game, but since we’re probably going to be rotating both full backs, I’d prefer staying with our set CBs.
LB- would really like to have Robbo get a rest, especially with new baby. Moreno to play unless he’s also out the door on a January transfer.
Midfield- get back to the double pivot in this one. I think Fabinho-Gini is our best pairing, but Gini needs a rest so I’d go w/ Fab-Hendo.
Attack- Give a rest to Mo and Bobby. Naby as the AM, with Shaq and Mane wide, and Sturridge up top.

Joe Gomez x

With Clyne gone and Robbo,Virgil and TAA looking like they need a rest, do you guys think we will see an academy lad maybe make an debut in the back (Camacho? etc)

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Jones?:shocked: He's an attacking midfielder which kinda rules him out.

If we want to leave the Big Man out of the side then i don't think this is the game. I suppose the only option right now would be Fabinho but that would only be in a dire emergency. I think with Matip and Gomez unavailable there's no real option but to play Van Dijk.
Could play Hoever there but that's a massive ask for a 16 year old to play 90 mins away at Wolves. If we'd had a nice easy home tie it would have been more of an option.

I want to see Camacho playing from the start, he could offer us some good pace and width whether he's playing right back or on the right wing.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
Could play Hoever there but that's a massive ask for a 16 year old to play 90 mins away at Wolves. If we'd had a nice easy home tie it would have been more of an option.

I want to see Camacho playing from the start, he could offer us some good pace and width whether he's playing right back or on the right wing.
I think you're right. Wouldn't be too surprised to see Camacho playing and Hoever on the bench.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
Wolves are in 9th and it would be a difficult game with a strong team, however, I think bollocks to the domestic cups ! put priority on the Premier ! That might mean 2 changes or 8 ! I dont care as long as we are ready for Brighton.

dockers_strike

As I said a while ago, we need to jib the FA Cup more than ever now. No, not deliberately lose the game but play the squad players and best of the U23s. Trouble is, we've now let Clyne and Solanke go. OK Solanke may not even have made the bench but this was an ideal game to rest Trent and play Clyne. Centre of defence is more troublesome with Gomez and Matip out so one of Lovren and Virgil have to play, hopefully Lovren and rest Virgil who was blowing towards the end of the city game. Mig obviously comes in for Allison and Moreno for Robbo. Midfield Lallana and Keita can fill 2 berths while upfront give Origi and Sturridge their heads.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Couldn't care less and I hope we get knocked out.
I can understand the sentiment but really think we need to win this one or at least put up a decent fight. As others have mentioned losing a 2nd game right after our first defeat in the league could really knock our confidence whereas hammering Wolves will hopefully keep teams fearful of us.

Last season and lets be honest, most of Utds dominant years a lot of games were won before kickoff because of the fear factor, we have that this year. even City played with a bit of fear at our place. Besides, this cup may give our fringe players some useful minutes. I'm honestly not worried if we win this cup or not, the EPL is definitely 10 times as important for me but don't lose this game. We should still be able to make some changes too, our backups are decent enough to win this game.

MW2833

I’m torn with this game. I’m already thinking to Brighton.

For me I would protect our assets.

Mignolet
Clyne
Moreno
Lovren
Phillips

Fabinho
Keita
Shaqiri

Sturridge
Origi
Solanke
Hmm solanke as striker is going to be quite difficult considering he's approximately going to be 200 miles away from where the match will be held, relaxing on the beach in Bournemouth.

Alright Now

I just saw this about Hoever. Not sure if It’s already old news.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/01/04/liverpool-could-name-16-year-old-ki-jana-hoever-squad-fa-cup/amp/

red arizona scott

I don't think Liverpool should throw away a chance for the FA Cup. So I would call it an 85% squad. Expect to win, but if not, no biggie. I think had they won or drawn vs City Klopp might have put a slightly weaker squad, but now it is a little bit bounce back, regain confidence match.

I think VVD can play, and will play. But he doesn't have to adventure forward and can play a lower stress, just snuff out the danger style--like a typical CB shift instead of typical VVD EPL shift. Alisson is a goalie, he can play too--better to keep him sharp. Probably Lovren also unless Matip or Gomez is ready. This core will make it tough to score on, with not all that much exertion and a good break before the next match.

I would have suggested Clyne, but that isn't happening now (couldn't we have waited 1 more week for the loan?). Maybe Milner with an eye for not using him until CP. Probably has to be Milner or TAA--leave it to Klopp to see who is more ready physically post City.

Hopefully give Moreno, Keita, Lallana and Origi get full games. Completely give Gini and Robbo the day off, not even on the team sheet.

Rotate whomever else (65 min max) based on game situations (Salah, Firmino, Mane, Shaq, Henderson, Fabinho, Sturridge).

Still a better team sheet than all but a handful of EPL teams an do, and gives the key players some rest.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
While I don't care a bit if we don't win this cup, I agree that back to back defeats could really put a decent sized hole in our ship.

Regardless, I know Jurgen will go out to win this. Expect some of our first 11 to be rested, like Gini, one or two of our forwards, and maybe Virgil. They will be on bench to come on if needs be.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
How long would it take our new signing to register so that they can play? Im only because we have let two go, so surely we have at least 1 coming in :tongue:

Keita has to start, and he better have a good game.

Status
Not open for further replies.