• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

PRE MATCH: Wolves v Liverpool (FA Cup 7/1/19 1945 KO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
What's with the wholesale changes? Our next match is 5 days away and I am quite sure it's enough time for our players to sort themselves out. If we can't play a match in every 5 days, then we don't have business getting into Champs League every season.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
What's with the wholesale changes? Our next match is 5 days away and I am quite sure it's enough time for our players to sort themselves out. If we can't play a match in every 5 days, then we don't have business getting into Champs League every season.
Normally I would agree. But for the first time in 29 years we have a real shot at the title.
But if VVD, or any of the front three got injured, that would derail our chances severely imo.
So I’m happy for 7 players to remain unchanged, but the others can stay at home for me.

red arizona scott

Normally I would agree. But for the first time in 29 years we have a real shot at the title.
But if VVD, or any of the front three got injured, that would derail our chances severely imo.
So I’m happy for 7 players to remain unchanged, but the others can stay at home for me.
VVD, Salah, Firmino, Mane, Robbo are just not replaceable and all put in huge shifts yesterday. Gini and Fabinho are also borderline not replaceable, the former has been consistently put in long shifts. Just saying give this core a break, or part of a break compared to a normal PL match, for. This match is where to balance fatigue and injury risk while with putting a team that should beat Wolves more often than not. But that is different than going all out to win--EPL matches, CL matches. Another benefit is seeing the current form of players like Kieta, Lallana, Origi, Moreno--and whether to consider turning to them in a pinch in a more important match.

Ben64

Form is temporary, class is permanent, would still want @nobluff to start the threads for league games :tongue:

Agree with the mid. But I would like to give the squad players a chance for this one. Migs, Clyne, Sturridge, Lallana, Moreno and Origi perhaps, maybe 2-3 of them at the very least. But the loss yesterday might make us want to amend that and regian our momentum and knowing Klopp he might start with a very strong line up. Just W without injuries is what I ask for!!!
Wait. Did nub
Form is temporary, class is permanent, would still want @nobluff to start the threads for league games :tongue:

Agree with the mid. But I would like to give the squad players a chance for this one. Migs, Clyne, Sturridge, Lallana, Moreno and Origi perhaps, maybe 2-3 of them at the very least. But the loss yesterday might make us want to amend that and regian our momentum and knowing Klopp he might start with a very strong line up. Just W without injuries is what I ask for!!!
Wait. Did nobluff kicked off the thread for MCity vs Pool?

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
Full strength second string for me. The FA Cup is a wonderful competition with a glittering history of amazing games and upsets. But, we have much bigger fish to fry. Full strength once (if) we hit the quarters but for now, no shame in going out when we’re top of the league and in the CL knock outs. Not googled it but I suspect that the prize money (summer signings) for getting to the semi final of the CL dwarfs the same achievement in the FA Cup.

Actually, £10.5m for the CL SF
Losing the FA Cup SF £800,000
Winning same £1,800,000

It’s not all about the money but it is all about the manager and the players. Players get better with ££££.

Ben64

Fuck this off. Not remotely interested. Don’t let Alisson, Van Dijk, Robertson, Trent, Fab, Gini, Salah, Firmino or Mane anywhere near this.
I abstain from non-dictionary words; wait.. fk is in there. I absolutely totally agree; fk this off. Sorry; can ‘admin’ say things like that ... I feel that they should say what they want as when they say it, it’s just ‘the Lord said.. ‘ . Authoritative. Stamp.

I am 54, and have supported Pool since 7. 28 fking years and being fked by Mancs along the way. Win the fking EPL for heavens sake!!!

Sorry. For. Expletives. Good for mental health.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
I love 3rd round weekend. Unlike most younger & foreign fans I still value the FA Cup and it pains me to see us roll over every year..I don't think it is fair to the supporters who pay good money to attend.

I have fabulous memories of days out at Wembley or Anfield South as we called it in our heyday.

I hope and believe we will put out a strong side. A loss here will mean going into the Brighton game on a real downer after 2 consecutive defeats and I don't believe Jurgen will want that.

Let's go and win this. Winning is a habit and winning trophies is a habit we have most definitely lost. We have had too many seasons where success has been measured by whether or not we can finish 4th...

Also I don't really get the argument for leaving players out just in case they get injured. They could get injured in any game they play...........

Last edited:
I can't be arsed with the FA Cup. The Magic has left the competition long time ago. I miss the days when 80% of the games were on at 3pm on a Saturday as was the final

I would blood a mixed 2nd string + Youth but given we've come off that result v City, I am guessing Klopp will want to win (or not lose) because we don't want to send a message out to the rest of the league

okocha10

Football Master
VVD, Mane, Salah, Firmino, Wijnaldum and Robertson needs rest. Clyne is gone so i wouldn't even risk with TAA.
Maybe Mane or Salah can play for 30 minutes.
My team would be something like this:

Ramses
Milner Lovren Fabinho Moreno
Jones Hendo
Shaq Keita Lallana
Sturridge
Don't know is Conor Masterson fit?

Zico Nealy

First time ever, just not interested in the Cup. That said, a cup run all the way would be nice.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Just been listening to Jürgen on LFC TV. Saying that Migs will play :indifferent:

"It's a joy to watch him , incredible confidence" talking about Hoever.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Full strength second string for me. The FA Cup is a wonderful competition with a glittering history of amazing games and upsets. But, we have much bigger fish to fry. Full strength once (if) we hit the quarters but for now, no shame in going out when we’re top of the league and in the CL knock outs. Not googled it but I suspect that the prize money (summer signings) for getting to the semi final of the CL dwarfs the same achievement in the FA Cup.

Actually, £10.5m for the CL SF
Losing the FA Cup SF £800,000
Winning same £1,800,000

It’s not all about the money but it is all about the manager and the players. Players get better with ££££.
I totally agree. Our priorities must be, first and foremost, the Premier League and then the Champions League.

Although the FA Cup has a grand old history, sadly its value has diminished. Winning it holds out the dubious prospect of securing a place in the Europa League, which is something of a poisoned chalice. As for the monetary rewards, the prize for winning the FA Cup (£3.6 million) is less than the equivalent value of two places in the Premier League (2 x £1.931 million) and it is dwarfed in comparison with getting through to quarter finals of the Champions League (£9.19 million).

So, play our best second team. For some of these lads an extended run in the FA Cup might be their only chance to showcase their talents.

Magnus

This isn't a straightforward game, but we will win this. We will win this because our troops must muster and show that a defeat to Manchester City was the defeat of one battle, and not the trend of a series of defeats in a campaign. Even so, the next league game will be far more important and Klopp will likely muster a team that will not be our first team. Therefore, defeat is possible, it is a cup after all, and in Cups, lower division teams often ends up beating premier league teams and Wolves is a solid team. Thus it won't be an easy game if we field our second best men. Still, I think we will win. It will mean a lot for the boys after the City defeat and that hunger will guide us to victory more likely than not.

Red Ted

Fuck this off. Not remotely interested. Don’t let Alisson, Van Dijk, Robertson, Trent, Fab, Gini, Salah, Firmino or Mane anywhere near this.
They won't be, god knows why anyone thinks they will.

The team will be filled with the likes of Mignolet, Moreno, Sturridge, Origi & Lallana along with Henderson, Keita & maybe Shaqiri, then some youth players.

Normally I'd want us going for the FA Cup but this season is an exception, all our eggs need to go into one basket, the players have come through a tough December/Xmas schedule and need a good rest to recharge for the really important games ahead.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
According to Kloppo's presser:
"Yes, we have to [make changes]. That’s clear. We came through the intense period now somehow OK, but of course we have to make changes. How many I don’t know, but we have to. There is no chance for anything else."

Is there any word about Nathaniel Phillips' current fitness? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.