• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

PRE Match: Young Boys - LFC (Thursday Sept. 20th - 18:00 GMT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
VS.

Match infos:

Young Boys are currently fifth in their league table, with only 12 points from eight game, which is disappointing for their standards. Today, they beat minnows Wettswil at their ground 5-1 in the Swiss Cup.

Similarly to us, they have a big league match coming up against Basel on Sunday, so they will maybe not necessarily field their best team against us.

The Wankdorf stadium can host 30'000 fans. For the time being, 25'000 tickets have been sold, so it will be a near sell-out come thursday, and thus, probably a good atmosphere.

Discussion:

So, get it away lads. What formation should we play in order to get something out of this game?

My opinion is that this is definitely one for the players usually on the bench, and for some youngsters. Looking at today's starting line-up against Sunderland, and keeping next Sunday's game against the mancs in mind, it could be something like this:​

Downing Morgan Borini​

Sahin Henderson Suso​

Robinson Coates Carragher Flanagan​

Reina​

I'm going to Berne and will support the Reds in the stands for this one, so am hoping for an entertaining match, and of course, three points for the Reds!

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Isn't Assaidi able to play now? If so, I would be shocked if he is not in the 11.

Upstate_Chad

TIA Youth Team
I am quite jealous of all those traveling fans this week. I have always want to go to Berne, it is continuously rated as a city with high quality of life.

Considering we have ManU on Sunday, this is what I expect to see Rodgers set out:

--------------Jones
Flanno--Carra--Coates--Enrique
-------Sahin-----Henderson
----------Shelvey
Downing--Morgan--Assaidi/Pacheco

Subs: Gulasci, Robbo, Cole, Suso, Ngoo, Assaidi/Pacheco

alphakilo

TIA Regular
This is what I think we'll see:

Reina​
Kelly Carra Coates Enrique​
Henderson Sahin​
Downing Shelvey Assaidi​
Yesil​

Bench: Jones, Skrtel, Flanagan, Suso, Cole, Pacheco, Borini

Enrique, Shelvey/Sahin and Downing/Assaidi to come off.

OhYaBeauty

I'd rather see Yesil play than Ngoo or Morgan. He looks promising; seems to finish a bit better than the other two and god knows we need somebody who can put the ball in the damn net.

Reina​
Flanagan Carra Coates Robinson​
Sahin Henderson​
Suso​
Downing Yesil Assaidi​

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
^^^ Agree with this and the sentiment expressed, good time to give Assaidi and Yesil a run.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
My main hope is that Gerrard doesn't play - think it's essential he's kept fresh for the United game.

Otherwise, I'd love to see Yesil and Pacheco get run-outs.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
It's a pity that the United game follows this one as I'd like to see us take this competition seriously and not field a team of youngsters. As it is, we have no choice and will have to keep our star players in cotton wool for the big one.

It bothers me a bit that a lot of fans seem to be dismissive of the EL. Around Europe it carries a lot more weight than the League Cup, or even the FA Cup, and winning it would send out the signal that we're back, and would make it easier for us to get more highly rated players. I'd like to see us put out the strongest team possible in every EL match, especially the away games, and save giving game time to the youngsters for the domestic cups.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Want to see Suso, Assaidi and Sahin get a run out. In some ways we could use this competition to see if some of our younger players are going to make the grade or will be playing elsewhere in the future. Morgan and Pacheco are two that come to mind.

Dublin_Kopite

TIA Legend
Did we play these before under Houllier?

I'm pretty sure I remember us playing with young boys on a dark Thursday night on some shitty channel a few years back..

Some dodgy google results coming back....

kwala

TIA Regular
i just cant see us being able to penetrate young boys.

I don't know, our away kit does look alot like a priests outfit, if we had white collars I'm sure we'd tear them a new one!

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin
Genuinely hope we don't take Gerrard or Suarez even on this trip.

I'd also like to see Brad Jones start in goal (one of Kenny's mistakes was using Reina for all games in Cup, meaning when Reina was out the others had no playing time for over a year).

Could play Borini so he can hopefully get a goal and some confidence, but rest is probably more important with Mancs in mind.

Rest Raheem, for definite.

So, here's my wishful team with all that in mind;

Jones​
Flanagan Carra Coates Enrique​
Henderson Sahin​
Shelvey​
Downing Yesil Assaidi​

Anthony

Nice team Matt. I would add subs: Pacheco, Suso, Gulasci, Ngoo, Morgan & Robinson

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
a striker you say.....nah, itll never work.

BhupendraS

TIA Squad Member
There's a danger that this thread will look as if it's been highjacked by a load of paedos - with all this mention of spanking of young boys at a stadium called Wankdorf.
Perhaps they'll make a Carry On film of this tie (a two-parter).

Seroiusly though, I hope Assaidi and Yesil get a look in.
Boroni will no doubt start, so hopefully, he'll get a goal or two.
Perhaps Downing will rea;lise that he's a footballer.
We need to go back to Anfield with a lead.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Did a job in Wankdorf once, great story to tell :). On a par with driving a Mazda RX7/8, petrol heads will know why;)

Play the kids, they're the best shot we have at the moment of getting a good striker.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
I dated a girl for Berne, if they play as good as she looked we're in trouble ;) (meaning they'll play attractive stuff but lack endurance due to smoking a pack a day).

That being said, swiss german is less attractive than german german.

Gears

TIA Regular
I'd rather play Suso first before Yesil. Downing on the left since Sterling needs a rest.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Regarding our Pepe, I suggest that this is not the time to "avoid" playing him, nor giving him a break.

Now is the time to stick with him and hope to do whatever possible to shut down an opponent. Completely.

So we can defend well against that team we are up against on Sunday.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I don't think we will play Robinson or Morgan, possibly not Suso . Fact is the U19's go to Milan on Wednsday night
I think we may see something like this.

Gulacsi/Jones
Kelly, Carra, Coates, Enrique
Hendo, Sahin, Pacheco
Downing
Borini
Assaidi

Bench--Gulacsi/Jones, Shelvey, Suarez, Johnson, Gerrad

Although Suso is young enough I see he is not in the squad.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Quick look at the team...

Coates to certainly start, probably with Carragher as well. I'd keep Kelly, he did (as expected, as McClean's dribbling stuff is mainly one dimensional and relishes a physical challenge, which Martin dealt with very well) well and Johnson could do with a little break after the 3 full 90 minutes he's had lately.

So with 3 full senior players in there, I think we can afford to give Robinson (also a positive performance for the Reserves against Chelsea) a start in this one if he's ready, also to have Enrique fully fit and secure for United as if we start Sterling in that game it would be good for him to have Jose back behind him. Or Downing is also an option, but I'd prefer to have him as a wing option in this away fixture which won't be an easy ground and all that and we're really short in the front areas, while we also need to rotate.

Midfield is also a wee bit tricky area now, Gerrard needs to be left out or at most be on the bench. Shelvey follows up, we need to see what's the situation with him. Allen can cope I think the best out of them all purely because of his position, the way he understands what Brendan wants from him and his style. Henderson and Sahin should all be in there pushing for a start, at least one of them.

Keep Sterling on the bench, so there will be some minutes or a start for Assaidi. Hopefully we can include someone like Suso, Pacheco or Ngoo/Morgan/whoever of the younger strikers Brendan wants to give a chance to on the bench. Borini should be able to lead the line and then also be in contention for a start next weekend.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Wankdorf stadium? Seriously?

Anyway

-------------Reina-------------------
Kelly Carra Coates Robinson
----Sahin Henderson Suso----
----Assaidi-Morgan-Downing-

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Without wanting to take this thread even further down the wrong path, these guys are probably the 'whipping boys' of the group, so will be a good test for the youngsters that should play. I wouldn't let anyone who should be playing against the mancs anywhere near this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.