Predictions for the 2016-2017 Season

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Joe Ware, Aug 5, 2016.

?

Who will be Liverpool's top scorer in the 2016-2017 season?

Poll closed Aug 26, 2016.
  1. Daniel Sturridge

36.4%
  2. Divock Origi

46.5%
  3. Roberto Firmino

7.8%
  4. Philippe Coutinho

0.8%
  5. Sadio Mane

7.0%
  6. Georginio Wijnaldum

0.8%
  7. Adam Lallana

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Jordan Henderson

0.8%
  1. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Didn't they win the league 3 times with Mourinho? What's that post got to do with not having Mourinho?

2. Red Ecstasy

Red Ecstasy Member

Let's win the 19th! Let's do it. I wanna see Klopp getting crazy game after game,celebrating goals against United!!!!!!! I wanna see him celebrating in an open bus! I wanna see Anfield burning from the fans' ecstasy!!!! No more patience just more goals,more....Liverpool style!

We deserve all those things!!!!

That's my prediction!! COME ON REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Ware likes this.
  3. trfc06

trfc06 Banned Users

To finish in this order. Looking at all the ins and outs, improved (or not) players, Managers who know how to win etc

1 - Man united
    2 - City
    3 - Chelsea
    4 - Spurs
    5 - West Ham
    6 - Arsenal
    7 - Everton
    8 - Lfc

Sorry, really cant see anyone apart from the top 3 having any chance of winning the title

4 to 6 could switch places easily

7 and 8 could be topped by Leicester and/or Palace (really!)

good luck

Update and in 4 seasons or less TRFC be duelling with LFC, not sure in which division though??

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  4. trfc06

trfc06 Banned Users

Why?

Why dont others deserve those things as well?

5. Dortmund fan

Dortmund fan It's fishing time!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Prolix likes this.
  6. Joe Ware

Joe Ware Well-Known Member

FA Cup 3rd round maybe?
    Obviously not the league cup as you'll be lucky to stay in the National League as things stand.
    And of course, there's very little chance of you getting that far in the FA Cup.

7. lillypad_33

lillypad_33 TIA New Signing

I don't think that Liverpool finishing in 7th place is out of the realm of possibilities.
    What reasons are there to say that they will be jumping over West Ham and United? Both these clubs actually have ownership with ambitions.

RedForever2014 likes this.
  8. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Everyone deserves what he gets, hence you getting the boot from me.

9. RedForever2014

RedForever2014 Well-Known Member

Based on no more inbound activity in the transfer market, and possibly an outbound or two that would ideally be kept (a wage bill reducer in my opinion), I'd say we're a dead cert for 6th-8th.

Not sure what'll happen in the lottery of the cups.

Our keeper is dodgy and the new one hasn't had chance to show he's any better, the full back department lacks quality and cover, the what was decent centre back department looks like it's losing someone we'd keep (I'll await the inevitable centre back crisis before Xmas), central midfield is average. Only AM is quite strong, although the strikers are injury prone.

Pretty much what the owners want - just high enough to offer the illusion of a competitive club that keeps bums on seats.

A profitable transfer window in the Klopp's first, when the above is the case, says everything really.

10. Retro Helix

Retro Helix Member

While I understand that it's easy to sit hear and comment about which players LFC should be buying, which formation they should be playing in, which players should be dropped etc, what's worrying me is that I just don't see any improvement from last season. I know we only 3 games in but reviewing this seasons performances so far are underwhelming. :-(

11. Joe Ware

I see some improvement at least.
    Even if we lose against Arsenal at home we will have picked up more points against them this season than in both games last season.
    Whilst the Burnley result was very disappointing, we lost 3-0 away to Watford last season - then a newly promoted side so in some ways a comparable result.
    The Tottenham game was also an improvement as we bossed the game and truly deserved to win (wrongly disallowed goal etc).

12. Retro Helix

Retro Helix Member

How do you feel about the overall depth of the squad and no further adequate signings? Do you think we can find consistent form and a good run of back-to-back results with the current squad as is ?

13. Joe Ware

Yes I do.
    Overall I think our squad depth is better than last season in key areas.
    Of all our transfers out this summer, I only consider the following to have had significant game time:

Jordon Ibe
    Martin Skrtel
    Joe Allen
    Christian Benteke
    Kolo Toure

We now have Mane who is an awful lot better than Ibe.
    We have Klavan who I consider is a lot better than Skrtel.
    We have Matip who is better than Toure.
    In time I am confident that Wijnaldum will be a lot better than Allen.
    Christian Benteke did not really need replacing as we already have enough strikers but Ings could arguably fill his place as he played almost no part last season - hopefully Sturridge will also be fit for a decent length of time.
    In addition to this we now have a better goalkeeper - or as a very minimum, a better second choice goalkeeper if Karius can't usurp Migs.

14. NJLFCJake

NJLFCJake Well-Known Member

I love these types of posts... three games into the season and 2 of them vs 2 easily top 10 teams(got robbed in the Spurs game/ all 3 away games as well) and we begin to doubt the clubs improvement and choices. Was it not Jurgen who used BR's team in the 2nd half of the season to not only score the most and create the most chances but take us to be runners up twice for trophies, mind you almost if not doing so playing more games than any other team. We've brought in a bunch of new signings as well as let a bunch go. It's not just going to be a snap of the fingers and they'll gel together perfectly. We still have 35 games to go have confidence in the lads! :well done::celebrating:

15. vjcpatriot

vjcpatriot Well-Known Member

The wonderful thing about football is that teams can improve. We are not looking at a finished product here. Klopp was brought in for his ability to 'coach up' players and implement strategies that will make Liverpool a very tough match on the calendar for any club to face!

I know the summer window has NOT been as exciting as hoped. We still have some obvious weaknesses and Sakho's disappearing/vanishing/exile has created concerns at center halfback. However, patience and cautious optimism are called for.

Liverpool has the advantage of playing fewer games this season so a thinner squad is called for. We can compete for a top 4 spot without worrying about European games abroad. We will have the advantage of preparation, less fatigue on our players, and less travel stresses.

I expect Liverpool to challenge for a top 4 position and CL play, with the the floor being at the very least top 6 and Europa league. Still BELIEVING in Klopp! Give the man some room and let him go to work!

Eintrachtfan likes this.
  16. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

Since someone linked to RedCafe, I followed the posts and found this gem

"
    9 minutes ago

shabadu84Mint? Berry?

Alternative PL table may show where they stand vs expectations but the reality of the first 3 games should have made one thing crystal clear to Liverpool fans - they are not in the same league as the likes of us, City, or Chelsea. They may end up beating any of those teams on their day but they don't have the quality to sustain a title challenge all season, regardless of not having Europe."

Retro Helix likes this.
  17. BAShel319

BAShel319 New Member

So I am a huge fan of Klopp, but I have some concerns. Here's my evaluation of transfers: (Forgive the wall of text)

Questionable:
    1. No proper starting/cover LB, depending on where he sees Moreno's future. (No longer really an interesting subject at this point, as everything that can be said has been. Maybe January will provide more excitement on this topic)
    2. Signing Wijnaldum and not selling Lallana. Both of these players strike me as squad-level, or starting midtable talent. I know they are the energetic types Klopp likes to enforce his tactics, but they aren't the types to win you major trophies. Also would free up playing time for Grujic or whatever superior player was brought in to replace them.
    3. Not selling Sturridge. He is a better goalscorer than Benteke but is equally out of place with the way Klopp wants to play. Throw in his resell value (over 30 million is probably a safe bet) and consider that this frees up time for Origi, Ings, and probably improves morale, and I see this as a major opportunity lost.
    4. Forcing out Sakho: unless he's done something more despicable and less mischievous, I think this is a relationship that needs a strong sit-down and mending. He is good, he is passionate, he is a thousand-times more worth it than the Balotelli gamble.

Smart:
    1. Matip: free, talent, size, age, what other positives can be said? Perfect signing.
    2. Karius: exactly the type of move that should have been made years ago. Between the largely equivalent/unproven options of Gianluigi Donnarumma (never going to happen), Mat Ryan, Timo Horn, Paul Nardi, Bernd Leno, Mattia Perin, and Fraser Forster (my choice), you can't really argue against Karius given his miniscule cost.
    3. Mane: looks like a top-Klopp player. Energetic, fast, direct, decent value. Should be a great piece for any formation.
    4. Grujic: looks like a great signing with huge upside and little downside. Would love to watch him develop this year.
    5. Klavan: should be a relatively reliable, younger version of Toure, but in my mind should never start ahead of any other defender. Still, you need a playr like this for a long season.
    6. Selling all the dead weight that is Skrtel, Allen, Ibe, Alberto, Toure, Smith. Balotelli and Markovic will probably soon be in this category as well. I might have kept Flanagan, however, between the options of keeping him as cover, playing him on the left like Azpilicueta, competing against both Clyne and Moreno, and valuable experience in the PL on a loan, I can see why they went with the last option.

General concerns: (other than Henderson, who is impossible for me to rate consistently)
    I know Klopp has a history of getting a lot of success with relatively less talent, but I question how likely that philosophy will be in the modern game of top clubs buying top talent and getting top success. He had an unquestionably great year when he made th CL final with Dortmund, but that team wasn't nearly as full of underdogs as it is remembered. That squad had Hummels, Subotic, Badstuber, Gundogan, Reus, Gotze, Lewandoski, Kroos; they would absolutely destroy the current LFC squad, and I don't think that's controversial to say. As an LFC fan, I am as patient as it gets. I think this season, the only goal should be CL football, because as much as it hurts to say, I think Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, and even Arsenal are ahead of us at this point the title is out of reach. If we are able to attract top talent next summer, we absolutely need to look for major investment to make a leap: I'm looking at you, 200 million Draxler/Reus/Suarez. *swoon*

The real problem I have with the current squad is a lack set roles, to the point where I can't come up with a single XI formation I think is without obvious weakness. I suppose flexibility is a bonus, but it shouldn't be that hard to fill out a team sheet that you can feel confident will demand good results.

Worst season: spread ourselves thin, finish midtable, out of CL, with no trophies.
    Disappointing silver-lining season: win a cup, finish outside CL, Europa league semifinal
    Very pleased season: finish 4th, saying screw the cups, get into CL, watch Arsenal fans heads explode
    Optimistic season: Finish 4th and/or win Europa league, CL qualified, reinvest this years transfer savings into a cash-splash next summer.
    Expected season: exciting regardless of results, and that's something in itself.

Retro Helix likes this.
  18. Dortmund fan

At that time the Dortmund squad was full of unknown players. But Bayern had established players like Ribery, Robben, Müller, Neuer etc.

By the way, I didn't know that Badstuber and Kroos were Dortmund players.

:-)

19. BAShel319

BAShel319 New Member

Haha, oops, don't know why I listed them. As I recall, they were on the Bayern injury list opposite Gotze in the CL final. But still, there's a question of whether Klopp made them stars or if they made Klopp look good.

20. Redbelly

Redbelly TIA Youth Team

After 3 games, I now predict

1) ManU
    2) Man City
    3) Chelsea
    4) Arsenal
    5) Tottenham
    6) Leicester
    7) LFC

LFC will be better than last year, and the consistency in performances will improve, but the teams above us have also improved. Sturridge will be leading scorer, we will continue to have a horrendous time with injuries, Karius will be good, Wijnaldum will get pushed into the front 3 at some point then look really good, Jordan Henderson will be vital, Lovren will disappoint, and we will regret having loaned/sold Sakho.

21. RedForever2014

RedForever2014 Well-Known Member

That's not the main issue though.

The players we've bought are indeed improvements on last season's back up and squad players, but what we needed to do was improve the best 11 significantly and then use last season's best 11 players as squad players.

Our best 11 is stronger in the areas we were strong anyway, the attack, not in the areas we needed to improve most, defence and central midfield.

22. Joe Ware

Well I would argue that all of the following have a good chance of being in our best 11 this season:

Karius
    Matip
    Wijnaldum
    Mane

Also I think that Klopp has said that he doesn't have a simple best 11 but selects the team based on how they have been performing in training.
    From that point of view, having more players of similar high quality keeps competition stronger and will hopefully mean that all our players will improve.

23. Retro Helix

Retro Helix Member

Good assessment that sums up the current situation :well done:

24. gingerbread

gingerbread TIA Squad Member

As long as we won't finish below Everton.

They are aguably have a squad as strong as ours right now. With a very good manager that gonna fix the horrible defence they had last season.

25. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

Can't agree with that. I see us as stronger pretty much across the board. Only player I can think off of the top of my head that I would want is Barkley.

26. gingerbread

Not even Lukaku?

Baines? We have Milner as starting LB you know?

27. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

Baines three years ago - yes. But not now.

Lukaku - I prefer Sturridge (Lukaku is good though - not saying he isn't)

28. gingerbread

Sure , but against Milner? At LB?

That is too much biased, don't you think?

And honestly, I will take Lukaku over Sturridge for his fitness record, age and simply provide a more all round traits. There is a reason he is leading Belgium right now ahead of Origi and probably worth north of 60-70 mil at current market

29. vjcpatriot

vjcpatriot Well-Known Member

How Liverpool can Top 4 by Maths.

Top 4 teams the past 5 years.
    2015 1st 81, 2nd 71, 3rd 70, 4th 66 = 288/4 = 72 avg
    2014 1st 87, 2nd 79, 3rd 75, 4th 70 = 311/4 = 77.75 avg
    2013 1st 86, 2nd 84, 3rd 82, 4th 79 = 331/4 = 82.75 avg
    2012 1st 89, 2nd 78, 3rd 75, 4th 73 = 315/4 = 78.75 avg
    2011 1st 89, 2nd 89, 3rd 70, 4th 69 = 317/4 = 79.25 avg

5 year average, Top 4 teams have garnered 78.1 points per season.
    So we round up for safety, in order to assure a top 4 finish, Liverpool would need to win 79 points over the course of the season.

Totally doable. The key is wins. If you can come out with 24 wins you are set.
    24 wins = 72 points.
    7 draws = 7 points.
    7 losses = 0 points.

The draws and losses will come, how do we come up with 24 wins?

Win 79% at home. 15 home wins.
    Win 47% on the road. 9 road wins.

The more dominant we are at home, the fewer road wins we need to pull out. So can Liverpool win 80% of its home games and 50% of its road games? It's a doable feat. Now our boys just need to get it done!

Livvy likes this.
  30. Dortmund fan