• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Prematch 24/8/13 Aston Villa (a) 17:30 BST

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_Never_Walk_Alone

TIA Reserve Team
Roll on, Never too early to start prepping for the next one. Keep the momentum going, unchanged lineup?

Villa wil be on a high after their scalp at the emirates.

Red Island

Start the same team.

Villa will be more dangerous up front than stoke but a bit weaker at the back.

Agbonlahor is a tricky player..causes a lot of problems and creates all sorts of room for Benteke.He is so hard to tackle in the box too..he has good movement.Agger and Toure will need big games to keep Benteke and Agbonlahor quite.And not a foot wrong..Delph is dangerous too.a lot of the attacks build up goes through him.Lucas and Henderson will have to bottle him up tight.

Lowton was a bit of a week link against Arsenal and if Enrique and Henderson can drive at him the left is where we might prosper.Shame no out and out Left winger for this game..Aspas should cause Luna a few headaches,Coutinho will be in for a kicking id say from Vlaar.He was like a wrecking ball against Arsenal.

Borini or Sterling later on to pick up the pace if tight.

It got a lot harder after Villa beat Arsenal as they will be chomping at the bit for scalps.Better to see that performance though and know whats coming.Its gonna be a tough one.

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
I hope to keep up the momentum... if we improve defending then we can beat them... just keep calm n win

MinneapolisRed

Red Island said:
It got a lot harder after Villa beat Arsenal as they will be chomping at the bit for scalps.Better to see that performance though and know whats coming.Its gonna be a tough one.
I'm sure we all agree though that we'd rather have the 3 points on Arsenal and accept the challenge of a confident Villa squad versus having Arsenal have drubbed them today.

dxb_red

from the sounds of it, villa were slightly fortunate...after going 1 nil down, they were awarded 2 penalties, one of which was highly controversial, and then Koscielny was sent off on 66 mins...they found themselves 2-1 up with Arsenal a man down, and scored a late 3rd on the break...

i'm not too worried about them, I genuinely believe we are a stronger side than Arsenal this season and they were a tad unfortunate...benteke is obviously going to give us defensive problems, but if we can take our chances at the other end we'll outscore them...i can see us winning 3-1...

VictoryInSight

Tactical Genius... at least on Football Manager
They beat Arsenal with the help of the referee but they were very dangerous on the counter-attack. So much so that they reminded me of Dortmund's swift counter-attacks - swift, direct passing and very good off-the-ball movement. There were a couple of occasions where we nearly got caught on the counter-attack by Stoke so I'm hoping BR is wary of it.

As far as for our attack, we could definitely improve on taking our chances. It's been a slight concern for us for awhile.
Henderson was really unlucky and could've got a brace if Begovic didn't lift for Stoke.

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
MichaelScott said:
They have Chelsea away on Wednesday and mid-week games have been proven to give a massive disadvantage. Plus, they will probably get hammered in that one so we can forget them going in to the game on a high.
Well done on being the first person to point that out. Have a gold star.

Rastafenian

Maybe able to keep the same starting line up for this one. I'd play gerrard in front of lucas and hendo in the mid 3 for this one as i think we will get more time on the ball further forward in this one, hope to see Hendo start timing some late follow up runs as his game improves, he looks to be linking up and getting in the box on the break, we need someone though, and he fits the bill, to start running as the 3rd wave runner. I think the front 3 can all arrive in the box together thus pulling defenders deeper and leaving even more space at about that 15 to 20 yard area in front of goal. Coz there is no way lucas will be doing that anytime soon.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
Hopefully we won't allow Benteke to bully our back two and we don't get caught by their frightening pace on the counter. We have plenty to offer for this one. Their lack of steel in midfield could see Allen come in for Hendo as this will be less of a physical battle.

I expect us to revert to a more obvious 433 as we went 442 for long periods against stoke

Rastafenian

Just to follow up on that point****
Gerrards legs wont last forever might as well groom hendo on field now get them both to switch positions in the 3

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
jimmydestiny said:
Hopefully we won't allow Benteke to bully our back two and we don't get caught by their frightening pace on the counter. We have plenty to offer for this one. Their lack of steel in midfield could see Allen come in for Hendo as this will be less of a physical battle.

I expect us to revert to a more obvious 433 as we went 442 for long periods against stoke
Agreed, it will be a toss up between Hendo and Allen. Allen provides more calmness and control of the ball against a rather weak midfield. Especially since Villa will have played a midweek game, we may not need Hendo's energy unless its the second half and we are still struggling to find a lead.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Momentum is something we didn't have last season. Good thing is that villa have a midweek game at Chelsea which should tire them a little.

If we want a serious top 4 challenge then this is a game we need to be winning

Verbal80

Wow, we must be really on a big with our openening win. I hope we have the same enthusiasm when we lose or draw a game we should've won.

Anyway, I'll wait till after they at Chelsea to name my squad.

Not that anyone cares😂😂

tesh

TIA New Signing
I think that we should play Gerrard a bit deeper this game and bring in Sterling for Aspas. Apart from that we should be unchanged.

Gerrard deeper as I think we need two in front of the back four for this game. We will likely have more pressure on us as they are the home team and and as a result, Sterling, with his pace, becomes a good out ball for Gerrard to set up counter attacks.

Showdown

TIA Reserve Team
It's always helpful putting the time of the game in the thread title to save any lost sheep ( there's always 1) it's 17.30 Btw.

Villa looked so fast on break but Arsenal were dreadful so it's hard to give them too much credit.
Benteke & Agbonglahor ( il just call him Gaby) are bloody fast and strong players, with the amount that we push forward we are very susceptible to a fast counter and they will be a lot quicker than Toure and probably Agger but my money is on Kolo for strength. We lacked someone as physically strong as him last year and were bullied at times, hope we can secure another powerhouse, be it the Greek in Jan or Sakho now.

Villa have a tough midweek match too which could cause them some problems but
I think we can cause them enough trouble at the back and if we can even finish a quarter
of the clear chances we create the game will be out of reach for them.
Hope were not too cautious because of last years result, if we attack to the level we are capable of
& pressure them at a high tempo when they have possession we will win comfortably.

YNWAGerrard

I've been thinking about this for awhile... Doesn't anybody else think that coutinho plays better through the centre?
I mean playing him on the wing is nice but last season we saw what he was capable of through the middle and with villa having a young inexperienced midfield you can expect him to be threading balls onto sturridge.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
We won 2-1 at Villa last season, so I'm hoping for a similar result although I'm hoping Migno Man keeps another clean sheet! Defense will have to be focused for this one! I'd keep the same side as beat Stoke for this game.

Looking forward to this game!

Arminius

FSG PR plant
dxb_red said:
from the sounds of it, villa were slightly fortunate...after going 1 nil down, they were awarded 2 penalties, one of which was highly controversial, and then Koscielny was sent off on 66 mins...they found themselves 2-1 up with Arsenal a man down, and scored a late 3rd on the break...

i'm not too worried about them, I genuinely believe we are a stronger side than Arsenal this season and they were a tad unfortunate...benteke is obviously going to give us defensive problems, but if we can take our chances at the other end we'll outscore them...i can see us winning 3-1...
Don't think the referee had a great performance, but you'd have to be a fairly blinkered Gunners fan to blame the ref. First off, Szczescny should have been off in the first half, so the sending off evened that up. While the Koscielny yellow that led to the second penalty might have been wrong (replay angles were terrible, but it did look like he got ball first), the simple fact of the matter is that he was forced into making a desperation tackle deep in his box. The second yellow was a harsh call under the circumstances, but it was a remarkably stupid play on his part considering he had already earned a yellow.

I definitely would not underestimate them, especially playing at home. Above all, I was impressed with their conditioning, they sustained an intense and physical style of play through the entire game, despite Arsenal having their usual possession advantage.

auzziez

For me Villa are one of those teams who'll get a surprise win once and then dwell over it for the rest of the season. Add to that their midweek game without a decent enough depth in their squad. Then there's fluid, attacking and pleasent-to-eye style of football we played yesterday. Just hope our lads go to the field with the right boots and I'm pretty sure our goal difference can match our points tally.

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
Well have to say Lambert is a top manager he has the toughest start to the league arsenal away Chelsea then us. Hopefully they don't cause us an upset as gettin a min 6 points out of august is a good start as I thought we would draw yesterday. We should start the same team barring any unknown knocks or injury. Hopefully we can get a good start and give sturridge a 65 min run to keep him fresh for the utd game. Also it would be nice to see borini given a chance as villa back line isn't the strongest and he may bag a goal. 3-0 my prediction sturridge coutinho and borini/aspas.

Maurice

TIA Youth Team
dxb_red said:

There you said it right!! Last season we played some nice football. But as many experts said, we didn´t kill of matches when we had the chances. That costs us so many points and maybe the 4th place.
I for ones haven´t seen much difference yesterday compared to a lot of matches last season. We should have won with 3-0 or 4-0 but we only scored 1 goal. I have a feeling that next week against Villa we could have the same problem.
I hope we win but it won't surprise me when we have a lot of chances, miss a lot and be set for a draw (1-1 or 2-2, something like that).

Sionach

Resident Athiest
38 goals is all you need to win the league!!! 1-0 in every game and we have won :D

Seriously though, we should be aiming for first place. Top four is what we get if if fail in our main objective.
On any given day we have enough quality to beat any team we face. It's just consistency we have lacked in the last few seasons.

In my opinion we have improved our overall game in the last few seasons. As for the Villa game. I think we can win 1-2.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Going into this game with Willian and Cissoko looking on from the stands would surely have LFC spirits at an all time high but thats a story for another day (thread).

I think we can expect another difficult challenge. Villa nearly got relegated last season but i think they will be much improved. Lambert will have his young side chomping at the bit for their first home game but surely the mdweek fixture away to Chelsea should give us an extra advantage, especially given the high tempo game we will look to start with.

I would go with the same team also that started. henderson would be more defense minded as its an away game but apart from that everyone payed well against stoke and unless its a tactical move the same 11 should begin this one. Would be a big 3 points going into the United game. People talk about momentum etc and i agree a 5 game winning streak at the start of the season would set us up nicely for the season ahead. Dream starts is not something we associate with LFc season opener so lets break a bad habit.

Obvious danger men are Gabby Agbonahlor, Benteke and Weimann but lets control midfield and limit their options. already counting down the days, come on you red men.
Fringe players to get a good run out for Notts County Carling Cup fixture.

Red&War

tesh said:
I think that we should play Gerrard a bit deeper this game and bring in Sterling for Aspas. Apart from that we should be unchanged.

Gerrard deeper as I think we need two in front of the back four for this game. We will likely have more pressure on us as they are the home team and and as a result, Sterling, with his pace, becomes a good out ball for Gerrard to set up counter attacks.
Just curious on your thinking behind this?

Aspas was one of our stand out performers against stoke in my opinion. Sterling is still to raw to start games much better used as a impact sub and league cup fa cup games in my honest opinion.

Anyway as others have said i believe Aston villa to have a fairly weak midfield both physically and mentally. I personally would like to see a attacking diamond with Stevie and Lucas sat behind. unfortunately to do this we would need Suarez or possible a certain Brazilian because i don't think Sterling or Borrini are strong enough yet to warrant taking Henderson out of the team.

Would like to see Aspas and Sturridge get close to Vlarr and turn him with darting runs because hes seriously lacking in pace. like teams used to do to us when we had Soto.

tesh

TIA New Signing
Red&War said:
Just curious on your thinking behind this?

Aspas was one of our stand out performers against stoke in my opinion. Sterling is still to raw to start games much better used as a impact sub and league cup fa cup games in my honest opinion.

Anyway as others have said i believe Aston villa to have a fairly weak midfield both physically and mentally. I personally would like to see a attacking diamond with Stevie and Lucas sat behind. unfortunately to do this we would need Suarez or possible a certain Brazilian because i don't think Sterling or Borrini are strong enough yet to warrant taking Henderson out of the team.

Would like to see Aspas and Sturridge get close to Vlarr and turn him with darting runs because hes seriously lacking in pace. like teams used to do to us when we had Soto.
I did outline my thinking behind that in the paragraph below.

icemanwan

TIA Youth Team
I can't understand why Moyes is complaining about Man U's opening fixtures, just look at the Villans - Arsenal, Chlesea and Liverpool all in space of less than 10 days.

The Villans did well to win against Arsenal, but I am thinking they will be physically and mentally drained after playing against two top sides. We should use this advantage and keep the game on a high tempo as much as possible.

Lucas needs to shackle Agbonlahore, his runs into the box cause Arsenal lots of problems. The Villans r good on the counter, however this will be their first game at home. This would be the best time to keep possession of the ball and execute every move with a goal.

Go ye reds, YNWA.

Red&War

So you did!

To be honest though I don’t believe we should be taking that train of thought into this match. We should be dominating a team like Aston villa not being penned in. Therefore I don’t quite understand the need for an outlet ball? I would much rather Aspas and his inventive play than sterling and his pace which becomes pretty negated in tight spaces. I imagine we will be camped in there half for the majority of the game and for me sterling at the moment just doesn’t offer the same ability to unlock the defence as Aspas will. as Aston villa start to throw caution to the wind later in the game however would be perfect to allow him more space and ensure that villas tiring full back stay on the half way line.

tesh

TIA New Signing
Red&War said:
So you did!

To be honest though I don’t believe we should be taking that train of thought into this match. We should be dominating a team like Aston villa not being penned in. Therefore I don’t quite understand the need for an outlet ball? I would much rather Aspas and his inventive play than sterling and his pace which becomes pretty negated in tight spaces. I imagine we will be camped in there half for the majority of the game and for me sterling at the moment just doesn’t offer the same ability to unlock the defence as Aspas will. as Aston villa start to throw caution to the wind later in the game however would be perfect to allow him more space and ensure that villas tiring full back stay on the half way line.
We should have won the Celtic game also.

Status
Not open for further replies.