• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Prematch 24/8/13 Aston Villa (a) 17:30 BST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick_LFC

Bob and Phil from Brazil!
2 games 6 points against teams who haven't been easy for us in the past and 2 clean sheets, brilliant start.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Another tight one but on the whole, pleased, because we were a bit shit but still won. Not common with us in recent times

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
A win is a win. Crap play pretty much the entire 2nd half. Really crap play the last 10 of the first half too, but we've beat two of the physical bully teams that gave us problems last year.

Mada

TIA 2nd Team
We'll slip out of Villa with a fortunate 3 points....but clearly some more work to do.

It also seems clear we need to be active in the transfer market in the next few days.

Mignolet has saved us 6 points already this year!

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Two clean sheets, max points, very happy overall going in against the scum.

But gawd, I just wish we'd close the game out. Feel like every game takes a month or two off the end of my life. Not good.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Sturridge and Mignolet up for man of the match. I would be shocked if someone would vote for Lucas this time around. Even Coutinho been rather quiet in the second half and that's because he was roughed up quite badly by the damn Villa defence. I am happy we got 6 points out of 2 games. Now we need to keep our fitness up and intensity intact come next game. We must not lose to Moyes!

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
Felt like Benitez era all over again. Hope it is a good sign

2 win, 2 clean sheet. Really nervous, but we really tried to hold off eh?

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Dominated the first 35 minutes and pretty much on the defensive for the rest of the game. Will not complain though, last season, we would have scored an own goal in the last minute, for the last 2 games, we grinded out 1-0 wins. Major difference these points are going to make. Its clear that we still need at least an attacking player. Our midfield was overrun in the 2nd half. But still a win is a win, 6 points out of 6.

Mr v

second half was about as welcome as a fart in a space suit but very very happy. Actually feel sorry for joe Allen. Hard game to come in. That said, he is not good enough to play for Liverpool football club.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
Sturridge earned 6 points for us, and Mignolet saved 4 of them, in both match....

That Benteke shot was a brilliant stopper from him

gb1986

Mignolet for MotM for sure, a few incredible saves. Arguably won us 6 points already.

A lot of work to do though, but hey, you don't see United fans moaning too much when they win games whilst playing poorly, the sign of champions isn't it? ;)

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
lfc.eddie said:
Sturridge and Mignolet up for man of the match. I would be shocked if someone would vote for Lucas this time around. Even Coutinho been rather quiet in the second half and that's because he was roughed up quite badly by the damn Villa defence. I am happy we got 6 points out of 2 games. Now we need to keep our fitness up and intensity intact come next game. We must not lose to Moyes!
Not just Lucas, I think other than the first 35 minutes, everybody pretty much looked out of sorts. But Mignolet made again important saves. And I would say Sturridge is our MOTM. Not just the goal, but he even helped out in defence, was running and trying till the last minute.

dxb_red

champions win ugly, and thats what we did today...we need to get better, and i believe we will, but 6 points from 2 games is a great start...

Upstate_Chad

TIA Youth Team
6/6. Cissokho looks like he can play anywhere on the left wing. I do fear we need another CB. Agger and Toure certainly cannot be expected to put in this sort of shift every match of the year.

Great away team victory.

Sturridge was doing an excellent job defending and holding play in the 2nd half. Certainly Suarez will replace Aspas when he comes back.

Mignolet again with moments of sheer brilliance!

The rest of the day is joyous for me. Cheers!

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Lucas being criticised by people who probably struggle to get off the sofa for another beer. The lad is coming back from a career threatening injury.

jabu

TIA New Signing
this is how u win championships or get into the top four, u scrap and win games u supposed to draw or lose....at the end of the day its a game of the one with the most points wins... i will take the points everyday and 10 times on sunday... u still want reina back???

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Rambler said:
Lucas being criticised by people who probably struggle to get off the sofa for another beer. The lad is coming back from a career threatening injury.
He had most of last year and summer though mate. If he's not up to play then we need a serious competition for his spot that we don't have. Him and Hendo were in shams. Poor Stevie G in his age was doing it all.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Rambler said:
He shouldn't be playing then if he isn't capable. Judging by todays performance, he isn't.

LiVeRp0oL89

It's funny that had Reina been in goal, we probably would have drawn these last two games.. Not trying to knock a legend, just found it interesting.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Rambler said:
Is true but feel we are short cutting that position a bit and its gambling for me

Need a bit more firepower generally but do feel the work rate from most of the team has carried us through the first two games which does make a change

A few players though were a bit under par. Got away with it a bit but winning games through grind can become a useful habit to acquire all the same

Mignolet looks a little shaky on the ground but his shot stopping looks a significant improvement on reinas last few seasons so far. Saved us another couple of points

Status
Not open for further replies.