• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Prematch 24/8/13 Aston Villa (a) 17:30 BST

Status
Not open for further replies.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Showdown said:
It's always helpful putting the time of the game in the thread title to save any lost sheep ( there's always 1) it's 17.30 Btw.
Actually, it should be 17:30 BST and not GMT! ;)

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
Hopefully mid week game against Chelsea should help to burn up their fuel and discourage their fighting spirit, which will help us facing a less energetic Aston Villa. After all, they did run their heart out against Arsenal, and before the penalty, felt like they was completely dominated by Arsenal midfield.

fergieman

exactly - got to give us a bit of an advantage with them playing weds night. we've a good record at villa park over the years.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
As much as it was a new yet great sensation, winning on the opening match of the season, and the performance of the team was not to bad either, lets not get carried away, as some of the people posting here are..

KD said : " the most important match we have , is the next match. we'll try to get 3 points, and at the end of the season we see how much we have total " or something like that. Villa should not be underestimated, this is a very important match, the most important match, and this is a team that has just beaten arsenal, and perhaps by match day will have beaten chelsea as well.

I expect this to be a very difficult game, harder than stoke. they have 2 great strikers, a strong defence that is very quick pushing the ball upfield.
i think the 2 key factors for this match will be the ability of agger and kolo to kope with the speed of benteke and gabby. gerrard ability to move the bal from side to side fast enough so that defence won't have enough time to adjust, allowing aspas or coutinho enough space to run at their markers.

Verbal80

I actually hope Villa get a good result against Chelsea as I think it will make them a bit over confident against us. They'll be at their ground so we'll have to be disciplined, but where as they play a counter attacking game, I think they'll try to get on top of us more leaving them open.

Red Tiger

Start the same players as for Stoke.

I think its our best line up atleast until Suarez is out...and Willian is in :)

Bewal

Agreed has to be the same team. Looking forward to kolo against benteke, if he can keep him quiet then I'm ok with us splashing a huge amount of cash on someone like willian but I trust the club whoever comes. It's nice to be in that position, hope it lasts...

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
This Villa side for me are more dangerous away from home than at Villa Park. They can just sit deep, stay tight and exploit their brilliant counter-attack. I watched the match against Arsenal and it was a clinical dismantling. I was absolutely grinning. In as much as I was vomiting last year when Villa made us the victims in a 3-1 away.

But they will need to be more proactive at home and I'm wondering how Lambert will approach things.

Kolo Toure did OK against Villa for Man City (away) a few months ago. Kept a clean sheet next to Nastasic.

Can still see Benteke score off a corner kick, though. Defending set pieces will remain a fear this season.

You guys figure Rodgers will continue with the same system away from home? Loved our counter attacks last season.

I think this is our first time against Lambert's Villa without Luis Suarez. Might be worth bringing on Ibe on the left, against Matthew Lowton, for a cameo

Blitzkrieg

Anfield/Sydney/Orange County
I worry a bit about Kolo & Dagger dealing with the pace of Weimann and Agbonlahor.

I can see a draw on the cards here.

spizfromoz

Es maluco, filho da puta!
Can't underestimate these guys, already beat Arsenal after going down 1-0 and they're at home. But we can't afford to lose, either. This will be our first real test.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Something Arsenal did look is tired they looked well off the pace and a lot of what they were doing was pretty lazy, I think if we perform as well as we did at Stoke we should do well.

Could do with knocking a few more in, mind you we look better with Toure around at corners it might actually be productive this year, we tended to keep two back midway in their half on corners against Stoke depending on how forward their furthest player is I would like to see is us keep 3 back just to try and neutralise that counter attacking.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
mattyhurst said:
Something Arsenal did look is tired they looked well off the pace and a lot of what they were doing was pretty lazy, I think if we perform as well as we did at Stoke we will win.

Just need to knock a few goals in and settle the nerves.
A lot of that had to do with playing a man down. Cazorola was one crazy Guzan save from making it 2-2 and who knows what happens then.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
They looked tired even before the sending off, in fact some of the laziness led to that second goal.

Soyasource

3-1 to us. I liked what I saw last weekend, I'd keep the same lineup.

Mignolet​
Glen-- Kolo -- Agger -- Enrique​
Lucas​
Stevie -- Henderson​
Aspas -- Sturridge -- Coutinho​

Red&War

Red Tiger said:
Start the same players as for Stoke.

I think its our best line up atleast until Suarez is out...and Willian is in :)
You want us to sell Suarez? personally i think its the best line up we have until Suarez and Willian are in :). a team with Suarez, coutinho, Willian and Sturridge would be the best attack in the Prem in my opinion, but then i am a bit bias. I think Aspas could surprise a lot of people a potential real gem. not to mention Borini is scoring in goals at Under 21 level. An injection of confidence and he could be a good option off the bench.

The Future is bright attacking wise :)

mikeypezza

TIA New Signing
Frustrated when people think gerrard should play deep, an even deeper. 'his legs won't last forever,' granted but let's play him there when they are gone, not before it.

The whole deep playmaker role is terribly wasting of world class ability. The feller was the leading assister in the prem for the majority of the season, until the end, despite this deep role. Personally i think he should be further up, against certain opposition atleast. You may point out he is the only CM with any steel, an i would agree hendo an allen are too sticks an bones. But his best position is still further up.

I cannot recall the last time he was able to take a few shots off, this lad is capable of 20 goals on top of his assists, he has done it before. His partnership with torres wasn't based on 'his' speed, was it. We should resort him to the pirlo role only against the poor sides where we throw the kitchen sink at clubs, as we can utilise the lesser younger players further up. I shall have a bad mood when he goes, but it is already aching watching him like this. Just one game, i want to see him as underlyin striker or wide out right. The way he shivels the ball an controls it with his movement an control.

Red Tiger

Red&War said:
You want us to sell Suarez? personally i think its the best line up we have until Suarez and Willian are in :). a team with Suarez, coutinho, Willian and Sturridge would be the best attack in the Prem in my opinion, but then i am a bit bias. I think Aspas could surprise a lot of people a potential real gem. not to mention Borini is scoring in goals at Under 21 level. An injection of confidence and he could be a good option off the bench.

The Future is bright attacking wise :)
Not not to sell Suarez...only since he is out with suspension. Its too late in the transfer window to release Suarez. Would be a big mistake if we did. No good replacements are available now. I hope he is still motivated to play for us though.

dxb_red

yep, start with the same line up and make changes as needed...IF we are 2 or 3 up, i'd like to see a few substitutions to give some game time to the likes of Cissokho, Kelly, Allen, Borini and Alberto...

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
mikeypezza said:
Frustrated when people think gerrard should play deep, an even deeper. 'his legs won't last forever,' granted but let's play him there when they are gone, not before it.

The whole deep playmaker role is terribly wasting of world class ability. The feller was the leading assister in the prem for the majority of the season, until the end, despite this deep role. Personally i think he should be further up, against certain opposition atleast. You may point out he is the only CM with any steel, an i would agree hendo an allen are too sticks an bones. But his best position is still further up.

I cannot recall the last time he was able to take a few shots off, this lad is capable of 20 goals on top of his assists, he has done it before. His partnership with torres wasn't based on 'his' speed, was it. We should resort him to the pirlo role only against the poor sides where we throw the kitchen sink at clubs, as we can utilise the lesser younger players further up. I shall have a bad mood when he goes, but it is already aching watching him like this. Just one game, i want to see him as underlyin striker or wide out right. The way he shivels the ball an controls it with his movement an control.
You make the point that he was the leading assister for the best part of last season so why change his position? I think he's in the right spot for this stage of his career. He still bagged 7/8 goals last season but i think the players we have at our disposal in each position makes Gerrard a perfect fit for that CM position. Thats what hes playing. He always was a central midfielder so its not a case of playing him out of position. He's not gonna take Coutinho / Suarez or Sturridges spot at the end of the day.

kopite1982

We have a free week, villa would of played 3 times in 7 days when they meet us. Hopefully they get a few injuries tomorrow. Id replace hendo with allen. If we win this itd be 6 pts out of 6 pts. We didnt reach 2 wins last season untill oct 20 th! Wow!

1-2

tweeks

Villa play Chelsea on Wednesday so will be good to have a look at what they got.. Plus they will be a bit leggy for our trip on Saturday..

InFrontOfTheKop

Same team as the one fielded against Stoke. Henderson looks a threat to score in every game I've seen him play this season, preseason included. I see no reason to bench him after his performance last weekend despite an in-form Allen waiting on the sideline.

Aspas looks a real threat on the right, a hell of a lot more than Downing. I was happy to see Downing sold before the Stoke fixture as he undoubtedly would have featured on the right. Finally a bit of creativity flowing in from that side of the pitch. Add another left-sided forward and another center back and I can really see this team challenging for CL positions. Might be wishful thinking considering how the last few seasons have gone, but if we play the way we did against Stoke with a bit more ruthlessness in front of goal, and we can contend with any side.

Six points out of six on the line this weekend. I know the lads will be hungry for that, as will the gaffer of course. I really expect a solid, convincing performance from us. I'll go for a 0-3 result with Coutinho netting twice and a Toure header to seal it :)

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Would have thought Villa would be one of the favourites for relegation after their disastrous last season. However, the first day win changed all that. They would want to capitalise on Saturday's shock reversal at the Emirates. For our sake, we can only hope for a demolition job from Chelsea on them because if they were to sneak with a win or draw or barely lost to Chelsea, we might not be able to imagine the morale of the Villa Fans and more importantly, their players and that will be fully capable to draw a good result for them against us.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
It will be interesting to see how Villa perform tonight. If Chelsea go with Cahill and Terry as their centre half pairing then their lack of pace could be exposed. However Villas young defense will be up against it with Hazard, Oscar, Lampard and Torres to contend with...

gb1986

jimmydestiny said:
It will be interesting to see how Villa perform tonight. If Chelsea go with Cahill and Terry as their centre half pairing then their lack of pace could be exposed. However Villas young defense will be up against it with Hazard, Oscar, Lampard and Torres to contend with...
I can't decide whether to scout the opposition and watch this, or watch Arsenal get knocked out of Europe!? Easy decision, i suppose, i'll go with Villa v Chelsea.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
gb1986 said:
I can't decide whether to scout the opposition and watch this, or watch Arsenal get knocked out of Europe!? Easy decision, i suppose, i'll go with Villa v Chelsea.
I can't see Fenerbahce winning that appeal, so the Gunners are probably already in anyway.

It will be interesting to see if Villa take the same physical pressure tack with Chelsea.

gb1986

Arminius said:
I can't see Fenerbahce winning that appeal, so the Gunners are probably already in anyway.

It will be interesting to see if Villa take the same physical pressure tack with Chelsea.
Arsenal looked really lethargic when they played Villa too, and Chelsea noticeably took their foot off the gas in the second half on sunday too, i wonder if that was deliberate in anticipation of the same approach from Villa?

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Arminius said:

Up in the air as to what could happen. AFC reinstatement most likely but there could even be a play-off between Arsenal and Salzburg or perhaps even Besiktas arguing that they should take the place of Fenerbahce? It's another fine mess...

Status
Not open for further replies.