• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Prematch 24/8/13 Aston Villa (a) 17:30 BST

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
Arminius said:
I can't see Fenerbahce winning that appeal, so the Gunners are probably already in anyway.

It will be interesting to see if Villa take the same physical pressure tack with Chelsea.
which is completely wrong. if fenerbache lose the appeal the next side.down in the league should take their place.

re villa - they will certainly try to use they physical approach up top with us. Kolo better be ready for a fight

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
jimmydestiny said:
which is completely wrong. if fenerbache lose the appeal the next side.down in the league should take their place.
So you would make Arsenal play another 2 legs against whoever the next side down was or just automatically let them go through to the CL just because Fenerbache beat Arsenal?

Fact of the matter is UEFA should have handed down whatever the decision a long time ago.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
ChicagoRed said:
So you would make Arsenal play another 2 legs against whoever the next side down was or just automatically let them go through to the CL just because Fenerbache beat Arsenal?

Fact of the matter is UEFA should have handed down whatever the decision a long time ago.
UEFA did hand down the decision quite some time ago, they are just another party at CAS. They should however have a clear policy as to what to do in the event of an in-progress disqualification.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Arminius said:
UEFA did hand down the decision quite some time ago, they are just another party at CAS. They should however have a clear policy as to what to do in the event of an in-progress disqualification.
Oh, thanks man.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Kopstar said:
Up in the air as to what could happen. AFC reinstatement most likely but there could even be a play-off between Arsenal and Salzburg or perhaps even Besiktas arguing that they should take the place of Fenerbahce? It's another fine mess...
Off the match topic, but the Besiktas argument is sound - the spot awarded to the Turkish association would have been theirs but for the ongoing appeal process.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Arminius said:
Off the match topic, but the Besiktas argument is sound - the spot awarded to the Turkish association would have been theirs but for the ongoing appeal process.
On reflection I don't see how they could award it to Arsenal without at least giving Salzburg the opportunity of a play-off. That arrangement gets messy. On the face of it to promote the next team in line from the Turkish association makes the most sense BUT the participation in the Europa League of the next in line, Besiktas, is also subject to CAS and they are due to play their Europa League qualifying legs tomorrow and 29 August against Tromso! Who's next? Bursaspor? But then they've already been involved in the qualifying rounds for the Europa League and were knocked out by Vojvodina!

I bet UEFA are hoping Arsenal make it through...might be one for the ethics committee to keep an eye on ;)

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
ChicagoRed said:
I completely agree. It show just how inept UEFA are when they allow a situation like this arise. Firm action should be taken. Any club found to cheat like Fener should be given an automatic 5year ban from European football.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Can we take the Fenerbache stuff to another thread please?

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Interestingly, Villa is not putting the same level of pressure on the ball versus Chelsea as they did against Arsenal. Still closing down fairly aggressively, but not as early.

Rather relieved we are getting this Villa side on short rest. They are not going to be enjoyable to play against for most sides. A bit unfortunate to concede an OG, but they are giving Chelsea a tough and physical game.

slufsar

We're definitely lucky too meet a tires Villa side. Even then they will be hard to beat. Especially if they get a result against Chelsea. They will be flying on confidence.

Cant wait to see Toure vs Benteke tho.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
slufsar said:
We're definitely lucky too meet a tires Villa side. Even then they will be hard to beat. Especially if they get a result against Chelsea. They will be flying on confidence.

Cant wait to see Toure vs Benteke tho.
Villa was top half over the back end of the season, and they are showing signs of being there this season. If they can the point they are sitting on at Stamford right now, we are in for quite the game at Villa Park. People have been so busy looking down their noses at them and worrying about us being the 'new Aston Villa' they have not noticed a vastly improved side.

gb1986

I think saturday is going to be a right battle, villa will be really up for it after the way that just ended

baxter

TIA Youth Team
Arminius said:
Villa was top half over the back end of the season, and they are showing signs of being there this season. If they can the point they are sitting on at Stamford right now, we are in for quite the game at Villa Park. People have been so busy looking down their noses at them and worrying about us being the 'new Aston Villa' they have not noticed a vastly improved side.
They are a young team who are only going to get better. They were hard done to tonight.

Saturday is going to be a massive game for us, we best be ready for a battle. I don't think many teams will take 3 points at villa park this season.

shootscore

The set up worked last time out (just, but anyway!..). I'd like to see more of the same, with Borini and Allen getting some match action to keep them in the big picture.

Herb

Fortunate that we are playing them on the back of two tough away fixtures. Still don't think this will be a walk in the park by any stretch of the imagination though. Benteke scares the living shit out of me. Think we will do well to win, though I still expect us to scrape through by the odd goal. If we can get ahead I'd fancy us to hold on, doesn't look like they have much quality at all on the bench.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
That is 10 yellows in 2 games for Villa - says a lot right there.

RedJacko

TIA Youth Team
ChicagoRed said:
So I take it they aren't getting fair play Europa next year?
Probably qualify by league placement if they continue these performances. Delph, Benteke and Aggy look extremely dangerous.

Showdown

TIA Reserve Team
They looked fairly handy and much, much more confident than last year. Quite fast but they are very prone to sloppy tackling which our quick footed players should look to exploit. Toure will be more than a match for Benteke's strength but not his or Gaby's pace. Que a busy Lucas as he will be the key to our performance, Gerrard too. Need to shut down Delph, he was involved in every quick counter but if he keeps tackling the way he does he won't last 60mins. Chelsea's movement wasn't great even with all their stars, this coupled with a lot of slow build up play made it a lot easier for Villa to defend. If we can convert a fifth of the chances we create we will win comfortably.....Come on

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
The work Gabby and Weimann put in is impressive when you consider that they're forwards, their mindset looks great and it's total commitment.

Gabby especially as a local lad was meant to be the main man after Young and Downing left and with someone like Benteke coming in, doing so well and taking the glory you have to admire how they have accepted these new roles.

Off the ball in these 2 games they looked like a 4-1-4-1 with a relatively high backline which is still lacking in individual quality. Delph is a neat player in terms of passing and tackling that I like, when he's fit. We will have the spaces and should be very dangerous.

Obviously they do have some strengths with the quick transition on the counter and some physical presence that can hurt us but hopefully we have learned from our mistakes from the game at Anfield. We're a better team individually and as a group now as well. Benteke is also quite calm and composed when he receives the ball which can drag people out of position and leave gaps for the cavalry coming from the other two, he's got freedom and players working/making the runs for him.

I think we'll keep the same XI, maybe just make some adjustments as against Stoke for large parts it looked more like a 4-4-2, with Jordan on the right side and Aspas playing a bit deeper behind Daniel, roaming between the lines. We have forward options in those XI and we can change.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Zoran said:
I think we'll keep the same XI, maybe just make some adjustments as against Stoke for large parts it looked more like a 4-4-2, with Jordan on the right side and Aspas playing a bit deeper behind Daniel, roaming between the lines. We have forward options in those XI and we can change.
I'm thinking Allen should start this one. Henderson would probably get over-run against an inform Villa. Stoke don't really have an offense to speak of so it was a good game for him that time.

Showdown

TIA Reserve Team
Benteke would be a great purchase, he was absolutely everywhere. Great pace, strength and ability to see a pass, not a bad finisher aswell. I'd rather spend 30 on him than Willian as we need that bit of toughness to breakthrough sometimes.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
ChicagoRed said:
I'm thinking Allen should start this one. Henderson would probably get over-run against an inform Villa. Stoke don't really have an offense to speak of so it was a good game for him that time.
with Villa being so physical would henderson not suit more than Allen?

For me i dont think its much of a difference between those two. Think Henderson did enough to keep his place though.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
WellRedKev said:
with Villa being so physical would henderson not suit more than Allen?

For me i dont think its much of a difference between those two. Think Henderson did enough to keep his place though.
Depends a lot on the ref, and how sharp Allen is. At his best, he could have their whole midfield on a yellow inside 10 minutes the way they are throwing themselves around. But he could also quite easily get bullied.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Tough to know, Allen would be better in possesion because i dont think he will have that third midfielder as high up the pitch as Henderson was against stoke. Could be a flatter / compact midfield three where Allen would be my preference.

But hendo would be better suited to the physical challenge Villa will defo try and impose.

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
i think they were excellent against chelsea... but more than tht they would be tired on saturday... lets be ruthless in front of the goal and shut them off before they come back... keep an eye on the next big fixture... and decide the squad here...

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Villa is far more organised compare to Stoke under Hughes. They were tight at the back and utilises Agbonlahor and Benteke's pace to set their counter attacking game. They kept their defence very compact and leaving very little space for Mourinho's boys to exploit. Having only 3 shots on target and the total of 15 shots with that sort of fire power on the pitch, says something. Chelsea held nearly 70% of the possession in the whole game, and even so Villa nearly got a point out of the game. If Suarez should not have equalised against Chelsea last season after the biting incident, Ivanovic should not be on the pitch for that swing.

Villa will be a much tougher task and many may say they will be tired after the game against Chelsea, but I doubt such early into the season they would feel that much of a difference. Lambert sets his team up to play a very direct football to get results, that is his style.

They will probably sets up the same style as they were playing against Arsenal and Chelsea. They will be compact and hitting us on a counter with pace. Our main players to rely on so we don't concede would be Lucas and Gerrard. These two players must be on the ball from the first whistle. They will need to keep track on Villa pacey runners while we are pushing forward. If not, we will be hit with the same counter attack as Arsenal and Chelsea did.

Fullbacks have to block any form of cross before it could even reach the box, so don't let them cross the ball in. Agger and Toure will have to be alert and the whole team need to be extremely organised and work hard on their defensive drills. It will be difficult to break them down. Last season we managed to beat them at their own ground with a narrow victory of 2-1. That is on the tail end of the season. This time around they are on the high. While we may have collected 3 points against Stoke, they have done the same against Arsenal and nearly share a point with Chelsea.

Head to head at Villa Park, they recorded 38 wins to our 31, and drew on 21 occasions. Let's not repeat the December 2012 performance when we faced them at Anfield.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Lucas lack of pace worries me, I fear we may get brushed aside in MF.Prefer Hendo to Allen because of the obvious physical nature of the Villa.
Our skills will probably draw a lot of free kicks and Guzman is not the biggest keeper in the world so maybe dead ball situations could bring us goals.
At the end of the day it does not matter how well we play the Referees performance will most likely dictate the result as is the case in so many games these days.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Just seen who the ref is. Mark Clattenburg who has a reputation of beong a homer and rarely shows a card. :angry:

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
costared said:
Just seen who the ref is. Mark Clattenburg who has a reputation of beong a homer and rarely shows a card. :angry:
He shown av 3 yellow cards per game last season compared to the highest, which is just about like most other referees and he has shown the most number of red cards last season in the league so he is not as lenient as you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.