Q & A vs. Manchester United

The Hole

TIA New Signing
Hello all, I come in peace.

I am the creator of a Manchester United website called Stretford End Arising.

I am currently in the process of putting together a match preview for Liverpool vs. Manchester United. Normally match previews on Stretford End Arising include the thoughts of an opposition fan(s) with the aim of offering a balanced view. Here is an example for United's game vs. Fulham: http://www.stretfordendarising.com/2012/08/25/match-preview-manchester-united-vs-fulham/

To the site owner and mods, can I ask several questions to forum members?

A link to thisisanfield.com will be included in the published article.

Cheers,
Andrew

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Hi there! As a mod of this forum, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that and I don't think that anyone else would mind that either as long as it's in friendly manner. We are your rivals but we ain't that bad. ;)

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
We love having members from opposing teams as long as there views are expressed in a respectful way. One of my best friends is a die hard united supporter so I really enjoy good dialougue between level headed supporters.

The Hole

TIA New Signing
Thank you Nikola13 and Never Say Never. The warm welcome is much appreciated.

Nikola

Admin
We love having members from opposing teams as long as there views are expressed in a respectful way. One of my best friends is a die hard united supporter so I really enjoy good dialougue between level headed supporters.
My godfather is Man U supporter and two of my best mates are also Man U supporters who would put many football fans across the globe to shame.

So, no fear, The Hole, we welcome you in peace. :)

The Hole

TIA New Signing
Here are my questions:

1. What are your thoughts on Sunday’s game? What team is Brendan Rodgers likely to select and what formation will he adopt? What weaknesses in United’s team will Rodgers look to exploit?

2. Season expectations? Champions League qualification a possibility?

3. Happy or disappointed with Liverpool’s summer transfer activity? Joe Allen appears to be a smart piece of business. The failure to sign a replacement for Andy Carroll a big mistake?

4. Thoughts on Rodgers? Are you happy with his appointment? Is he the right man to lead Liverpool forward? Has Liverpool’s brand of football changed from Dalglish’s tenure?

5. Time to stop the inappropriate chanting by both sets of fans?

6. Suso and Morgan have impressed when the two clubs have met at youth level. Your thoughts on them? Who else in Liverpool’s youth set-up is worth keeping an eye on?

Thank you in advance.

Nikola

Admin
We should check with Matt and Max about deciding who will answer to your questions but I would gladly do it.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Alright Andrew, welcome to the site. To everyone else, keep it civil, yeah? (Everyone feel free to chime in with answers, they're asking fans for their views, and it's really not our place to decide who gets to answer and who doesn't.)

1. What are your thoughts on Sunday’s game? What team is Brendan Rodgers likely to select and what formation will he adopt? What weaknesses in United’s team will Rodgers look to exploit?

Big match with a lot of implications. We've had a poor start to the season, and another loss - particularly to one of our biggest rivals - could really start to turn fans against the manager. Add to THAT the aftermath of the Hillsborough documents being released, and the POTENTIAL for a few bellend fans chanting something they shouldn't (on both sides) AS WELL AS the whole Evra/Suarez thing, then there's a lot of potential flashpoints.

Can't see Rodgers straying from his 4-3-3, and the UEFA Cup match today probably gave us all a hint as to who'll be playing. Skrtel and Agger at the back, probably flanked by Kelly and Johnson. No Lucas in the middle is a loss, but we'll see the extremely impressive Allen, along with Gerrard and likely Shelvey. Up top, the trio of Borini, Suarez, and Sterling seem to be Rogers' preference for now.

As to weaknesses to exploit... Christ knows. We couldn't exploit Sunderland. But I genuinely see Evra as a weak link in your team, and if we flip Sterling to that flank, young Raheem could give him fits. Vidic can be clumsy, especially when playing against someone who likes to stay on his shoulder, but will be glad he's not playing Torres anymore.

Think it's going to be a 1-1 draw, myself.

If you'd asked me a month ago, then I'd have said top four was definitely doable. At this point though, I'm thinking a repeat of last season, with a top six finish, and hopefully a decent cup run. (Christ, I sound like a Villa fan...)

3. Happy or disappointed with Liverpool’s summer transfer activity? Joe Allen appears to be a smart piece of business. The failure to sign a replacement for Andy Carroll a big mistake?

The decision to sign Carroll in the first place was a big mistake - wish we'd adopt Fergie's approach at times, and tell players like Torres and Mascherano who wanted to leave "Tough fucking luck, you're on a contract, you're bloody well staying unless it suits the club." instead of flogging them off and scrambling to find a halfarsed replacement. That said, the decision to then offload him before securing a replacement - particularly after our manager had publicly said that wouldn't happen - was a cock up of the highest magnitude, and if you spend time digging around in here, you'll see it's one of our main issues at the moment. What's sad is that beyond that day, our summer was actually okay: Offloaded some more of the high priced veterans, brought in some exciting young talent like Allen and Sahin. But the fact that we don't have a single person on the books that can put the @#[email protected]# ball in the @%$#@ net takes the gloss off the whole thing.

4. Thoughts on Rodgers? Are you happy with his appointment? Is he the right man to lead Liverpool forward? Has Liverpool’s brand of football changed from Dalglish’s tenure?

Says all the right things, and says them repeatedly - to the point where it's getting old. But his philosophy - work rate, commitment to the team, playing good football - is something that certainly strikes a chord in how we want to see things run. What remains to be seen is whether or not the owners will back him properly in the market to let him do the job. They let Kenny spend over £110m over two windows, and it seems Rodgers has to make do with change found down the back of the sofa...

Dear God yes. Shouldn't have started in the first place. Liverpool fans singing about Munich is an utter shame on our club, and hopefully after the recent revelations, United fans will start thinking the same about Hillsborough. Banter between fans, and some heated rivalry is one thing, but insulting the dead... not on.

6. Suso and Morgan have impressed when the two clubs have met at youth level. Your thoughts on them? Who else in Liverpool’s youth set-up is worth keeping an eye on?

Yesil. Watch this space. Michael Ngoo is also an impressive striker that has a lot of potential. I'd have Nikola chime on in this one, as well as forumites Broomy and Sweeting, who know the young lads inside and out. (Way-hey. I'm exiled in America, so have a hard time following them from here)

The Hole

TIA New Signing
Thank you ubermick. As ubermick has pointed out we want the views of fans, so the more answers, the better. Thank you.

Nikola

Admin
My take on this:

1. I have to admit that I would have been a lot more optimistic about our prospects in forthcoming match had Lucas been fit and on form. This way, I'm already resigned to seeing Kagawa having much more space than we could afford to grant him and there will also be inevitable defensive mistakes that we have witnessed in virtually every match we've played this season. I hope that United's players will be tired from their Champions League exploits but this squad - probably the strongest and most balanced since 2007/08 - has more than enough quality to compete with fatigue and injuries. Contrarily, Rodgers has to carefully manage what he has at his disposal and I think that, barring any injuries, the squad facing United will be the same as the one that faced Sunderland. I hope that we can snatch a draw because our leaky defence will be facing probably the most potent attack of Premier League.

2. I don't think that Champions League qualification is viable for this squad. We are learning a new old style of football, some players are not up to the required standard, others are too young, while others are not even here (obviously, I'm referring to our lack of attacking players, especially strikers). My stance remains the same: if we finish sixth and have a good cup run, while thoroughly grasping Rodgers' concept of football, this season will be a "successful" one given the state squad is in.

3. I feel ambivalent with our summer dealings, as probably most of Liverpool fans do. We have made some quality additions is Joe Allen and Nuri Sahin (albeit on loan), while Borini, Assaidi and Yesil have great potential. However, not signing a replacement for striker that, in all honesty, shouldn't have been signed in the first place, will prove to be costly this season. However, one thing that makes it easier to digest our lack of squad depth is the fact that our best youngsters are getting the chance to prove if they can cut it - and so far they have fully grasped it.

4. I'm a huge fan or Rafa Benitez and he was my only candidate to replace Kenny. However, Rodgers has quickly begun to win us over with his "studious" passion for proper football and positive and realistic comments regarding club, players, fans and fight for justice for 96 of our own who died at Hillsborough. Did he significantly change the style when he took over from Kenny? Well, I don't think so. He mainly did what Kenny had to do in the first place (not having certain players in squad, playing Henderson centrally, easing Carra out etc.) and sped up the pace of our passing, while keeping the ball down. Time will only tell if he's the man to lead Liverpool forward - so far the signs are promising but one can never know what can happen in life.

5. These "chants" should have never taken place. The only way to deal with that is to ban the perpetrators from both sides from taking part in football matches. Hopefully both clubs will take strong measures against these embarrassing outbreaks.

6. Now that you've specifically mentioned the two of them, I can tell you that Suso has significantly improved since that encounter but he's still not ready to feature more regularly for our first team. On the other hand, Morgan has blown hot and cold, having barren spells then hitting the goal trail. His progress has stalled a bit but I have confidence in him working hard to make amends. When it comes to our other youngsters, there are quite a few I have high hopes of, starting with Jack Robinson, composed left back, Ryan McLaughlin, attacking right back, and young, tricky forward called Jordon Ibe. Michael Ngoo (forward), Suso, Brad Smith (left back) and Andre Wisdom (central defender/right back) are also players whose progress Liverpool fans will be monitoring closely.

Thank you for giving us the chance to feature in such an activity. I hope that our answers are satisfying.

OhYaBeauty

I'm cautiously optimistic for Sunday's game. We've been in poor league form but all that generally goes out the window against you guys. Rodgers always uses a 4-3-3. If I had to guess, I'd say he picks
---------Reina---------------
Kelly Skrtel Agger Johnson
------Allen Sahin-----------
--------Gerrard-------------
Suarez-- Borini-- Sterling

I think Rodgers will recognize that we need to take on your fullbacks, who frankly don't look too solid defensively this season. Our wingers aren't too terribly frightening, but Sterling or Assaidi could cause problems for Rafael or Evra (who I think has seriously declined in the past season).

I'll continue with my optimism and say we control the game but it finishes 1-1. One team or the other will benefit from a controversial penalty call.

Realistically, fourth place has been off the table since August 31st. We have good defence again (off form at the moment, though) and a solid midfield with the emergence of Shelvey, the return of Lucas, and the arrivals of Allen and Sahin. But we have too few senior forwards to have a CL-qualifying season. I expect this season to be where we learn Rodgers' system and incorporate our highly rated youth into the first team. Champions league qualification will have to wait until next season.

Personally, I'm very happy. We cut loose most of the deadwood and made smart purchases that will fit in with Rodgers' footballing philosophy. Sahin on loan is a steal and Assaidi and Yesil are both low-risk, high-reward signings. Allen obviously looks like class already, and probably the passing midfielder we've missed since Xabi Alonso.

I'm happy with his appointment. He's young, he's got a fresh new approach, and he has good man-management skills. He'll need time to revolutionize the club though, it took a few years for Fergie to turn you guys into a force. The style of play has changed quite a bit from a pragmatic approach to a disciplined "we always play a passing 4-3-3" approach. Kenny changed the formation to suit the players; Brendan changes the players to suit the formation.

Seeing as the time was never appropriate for the chanting to be there in the first place, yes. Anything about Munich is obviously disgusting as young people died without any good reason. Hillsborough has finally been proven to be the same deal. Unfortunately there are idiots on both sides of the rivalry. I think we should try to sing encouraging songs and drown them out.

Suso looks like a real talent but might have a rough time adjusting to top flight football because of his slight build. Morgan looks good but might not have the talent to make it at the top level. Newcomer Samed Yesil looks like the best forward in the youth setup at the moment but Ngoo is also promising. Has a strange skillset that reminds me of Balotelli. The pick of the bunch might be our left back, Jack Robinson. He might make his mark on the first team because of Jose Enrique's abysmal form. And there's some kid named Sterling but he doesn't look very good.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting

It's Rodgers team, I can't see anything other than 4-3-3 with the forward wingers pulling back to make a midfield 5. In terms of Man Utd's weaknesses, well...I hope they play Nani and I'd love to see Carrick at CB again! Seriously though, Uniteds defence is relatively shaky, conceding 2 against both Fulham & Southampton, which is good as finding the back of the net hasn't been our strong point. In terms of the team Rodgers will pick, think it will be pretty much the same team we've played in the league all season.

Doubtful for a CL spot but I think we'll start to see the team coming together and looking to play the ball on the floor, some attractive possession football. In terms of finishing spot...tough decision. Top 6 would be acceptable in respect of the transitional period we're going through.

I think Rodgers was let down big time, I don't really see Andy Carroll as a loss as, ultimately, he wasn't going to fit in...Shipping him out to a Sam Allardyce team could prove a shrewd piece of business, he will do well in that style and hopefully, come next season we can recoup some of the fee. I am confident Borini is going to step in with some goals, he looked sharp tonight in the European tie and his movement has been brilliant, just needs that one goal and he'll start netting more often.

Brand of football has definitely changed, we do keep the ball a lot more so far this season. I think Rodgers is a gamble but the kind of gamble you want your team to take on if they were in the same position.

Absolutely and I demand a handshake from Evra & Suarez

Jack Robinson for sure, Wisdom looked good tonight in the European tie and I've got high hopes for Yesil. Flanagan has also shown a lot of promise. Shelvey is going to be a big star...granted he's broken into the first team but I think this season the blue touch paper will get lit

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team

4-3-3 for BR, with wing pace and a two-pronged midfield defense. We look bright in attack and simultaneously highly vulnerable in defense at the same time. I'd settle for us not trying to exploit ManU so much as being soild defensively. Exploit Utd? Maybe only possible in CM and the full-back area.

Unfortunately, it looks like being another transitional year ...with 6th place a maximum realistic target. Hopeful of a pleasant surprise, but just vaguely hopeful ...as we have missed out on a positive start of the season

Yes and no. Decent business, given the budget constraints. We do have double cover in most positions, except (crucially) striker. That might come back to haunt us ....but it gives the youth a chance to step up.

Very happy with Rodgers ....and yes the brand of football is very different. Time will tell if BR's style can be integrated to effect, but it's a bold move from the owners to pursue a long-term plan. We definitely can't continue to chop-and-change managers every 6 months and do need to stick with and go with something viable aka a philosophy and a bold playing style

Absolutely!! Healthy rivalry, yes. Brainless Munich and/or Hillsborough crap, no way!

Many. Robinson (LB) has been injury-hit but is quality, Flanagan (RB) too. Wisdom is a very good CB, Yesil a goal-getter for germany U19, Pacheco a forgotten winger with great potential, McLaughlin a good RB, Sama a CB, Adorjan a very decent nr 10. Further along, Pelosi, Dunn, Ibe, Sinclair, Lussey etc have all got something about them. Some very good talent coming through aka in the wings. Morgan very good as striker, but Yesil will compete there. Suso is technically very good, but a litle frail, so wait and see for him. Would be ecstatic if even 2 or 3 were to made the grade down the line.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member

We'll play well. We always do against Utd at Anfield. How to beat Man Utd is on page 143 of BR's 180 page dossier. I'm assuming Mr Ferguson already has a copy.

I have no expectations this season. We will not qualify for the Champions League.

Joe Allen is a good bit of business. I've even forgiven him for being a Utd fan. Yes, loaning Carroll and failing to secure a replacement was a mistake. Have you stopped laughing yet?

Anyone who says they wanted BR is almost certainly lying. The fans either wanted KD sacked so Rafa could come back or didn't want KD sacked in the first place. BR is a rookie manager, but he absolutely has to be given time. Another sacking and I reckon we could start to tailspin as a club. Under KD we were entertaining, created loads of chances and had a solid defence. But we couldn't score. Under BR we keep possession better, don't create as many chances and look vulnerable at the back but it's early days. I don't think we can really assess how BR's approach is settling in until Xmas at the earliest but I am hopeful.

Anyone who chants about Hillsborough or Munich is a moron.

I thought Suso was the real deal a couple of years ago, but he's stalled slightly recently. He needs to be given games. This is where we can learn from Utd. You are better at knowing when to blood youngsters. Morgan is a goalscorer. There's not much more to his game, but we do need that type of player.
The good thing about having a thin squad is that the youngsters will now get games. We've been hopeless at this in the past. Sterling's been a revelation and Shelvey gets better with every game. Wisdom, Robinson and Yesil may make the first team this year. I like Adorjan too, but doubt he'll feature this season. Key target for me this year is to get a core of good young players together who can form the basis of a team for the next few years. If we do that, regardless of where we finish this season, I'll be happy.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Here are my questions:

We will play a 4-3-3. You can bet on that just like the sun coming up tomorrow morning. Team selection: Pepe, Kelly, Agger, Skrtel, Johnosn, Gerrard, Allen, Shelvey, Borini, Suarez, and Sterling.

We are going to look to exploit United's centeral midfield. We should boss that area of the pitch and by result the game. If not, it's over.

I'm still going to say Champions League qualification is a possibility. Top 3 spots are going to be Man U, Man City, and Chelsea just in what order. That is going to leave Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton, and Newcastle fighting for 4th.

I'm quite happy with this window. Allen is class and Sahin's resume speaks for itself. Just need to get him match fit and sharp. Not replacing a forward who had a hard time scoring goals is not a mistake. Oh well, shit happens.

Rodgers is the right man for Liverpool going forward just will need to take time. His system is totally different and he is going to need his players. I am very happy with his appointment.

Yes. End of story.

Our new man and German u19 hot shot Yesil.

Thank you in advance.

red_Iraqi

TIA New Signing
I am apprehensive mostly about any stpid chanting and potential flashes around Suarez/Evra. In terms of the game itself I hope its played in a good spirit, with a minimum of cards and cynical play. As always, a single match can go any which way, but Id be lying if I said I was expecting three points.
Rodgers will play his usual 4-3-3. Back four and front three are pretty easy - I am wondering how he will fit Shelvey into the midfield, which I think he will.
Weaknesses in MU team - I think the only link that could be called a weakness is Patrice Evra.

Expecting a strong second half of the season to finish fifth. Ill take that happily with the understanding that this is a work in progress.

Disappointed. We needed a goal scorer. Oh how I wish Dirk Kuyt was going to be on the bench . . .

I wanted Rafa Benitez. Still, thats not Rodgers fault. He did a good job with Swansea and he can do a good job at Anfield, with a bit of backing and some time. The football style is changing. Again - work in progress.

Yes.

Wisdom. Adorjan. Pacheco.

Libero

Here are my questions:

Will be a very emotional game, considering the current events surrounding Hillsborough and the fact that we are playing our biggest rivals will only add to that. I think the everyone at the club will be up for it, the fans too. Anfield will be buzzing. Having said that i hope both sets of supporters are well behaved and we dont hear any unneccesary chants, or any incidents from last years game (suarez/evra). We will definitely see the 433 formation, I think this will be the game in which borini breaks his premier league duck and if evra does play then thats the area we will try to exploit.

CL qualification, no. A good cup run, blooding more youngsters and seeing them develop and setting up ourselves for the future.

I for one am happy with the business we have done over the summer, a lot of people look at who we have brought in, allen has settled quickly and looks quality, but we forget the amount of deadwood we have shipped out. This will set us up for the january window and for future. The failure to replace carroll should be looked as an opportunity for the likes of Yesil, Ngoo and Morgan and no doubt they will get their chance over the coming season.

Young coach, ambitious. So far so good, although results wise it has been a tough start. We all have to be patient, it will take a couple of years before we see the best of Rodgers and what he can do for this club.

Definitely, its pathetic, let them rest in piece, there is no joy in mocking those that have fallen before us. No place for it in football.

Yesil, the kid has big wraps, his record at youth level is impressive. I want to see him given a chance and i think we will unearth a real gem.

Thank you in advance.
Welcome to the forum.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin

It will be his usual 433, and the team last night should mean there are no surprises on Sunday. Reina in goal, Johnson and Kelly at fullback, Skrtel and Agger in the middle, Allen holding, Gerrard and Shelvey ahead and a front three of Sterling, Borini and Suarez. I fancy getting a bit of joy from your fullbacks, and I think Borini, rather than Suarez, will play through the middle for this reason. Borini could get something out of Vidic, as he never looks comfortable against intelligent, mobile forwards.

Obviously United are well ahead of us at the minute, but form goes out the window for these games, and I reckon a draw is the most likely result.

It's a possibility, but a pretty remote one. I'd be happy in May if the team is confident and comfortable in Rodgers style, and the team is in good shape for a tilt at the top four in 2013-14. If we can bed a few youngsters into the team over the next year, then that would be great too.

Generally pleased, although the deadline day fiasco left a sour taste. The most positive thing was that for the first time in ages there appeared to be a bit of thought put into the recruitment. The big earning, bit part players are mostly gone, and they have been replaced by excellent youngsters with bags of potential.

Allen is the pick of the bunch - he will be outstanding in the future.

Not bringing in a striker to replace Carroll was a fuck up, but the decision to get shut was not. He is a good player, but not suited to Rodgers style, and furthermore his effect on the rest of the players (hitting long balls in his general direction) is something we needed to stamp out.

I'm delighted to have Rodgers. It unquantifiable, but he seems to have something about him. The challenge for LFC now is to hold their nerve, as it's going to be a long road back to the top, but if we can do that, then we could have our man for years to come.

To be fair to Dalglish, the football we played last year was frequently brilliant, but without product. Under Rodgers there is greater emphasis on possession, starving the opposition of the ball, and letting them chase. More crucially however, Rodgers remit is to develop a playing philosophy across all levels of the club. A new Liverpool way, if you like, and this is really exciting.

Yes, but more importantly it's also time to stop reacting with so much vitriol to what is a tiny bunch of dickheads on both sides. Really, there is not so much difference between LFC fans and MUFC fans, and we'd both do well to remember that sometimes.

The crop of youngsters we have coming through is probably the biggest reason for excitement at the minute. We could have a bunch able to do a similar job for us that Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Butt, and the Neville's did for you.

Sterling and Shelvey are he obvious one to watch, as they're already part of the first team set up. But look out for Wisdom, Suso, Yesil, Ngoo and Adorjan. You mention Morgan, but I think the jury is still out on him. Good finisher, but his movement and positioning is often criticised.

The next breakout, for me is Jack Robinson. An attacking left full-back who has already been around the first team, and was our youngest ever player in Rafa's last game. I've got a feeling this kid is going to be brilliant, and given Enrique's wretched form, and that he didn't play midweek, he might be a cheeky bet to start against you on Sunday.

The Hole

TIA New Signing
Thank you Nikola13, OhYaBeauty, SoueysTash, cardiffpete, Billy Biskix, ChicagoRed, red_Iraqi, Borini's Knife and Mascot88.