• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

R.I.P Phil Taylor - Former Liverpool Manager

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Sadly I didn't know this guy was still alive until the news today...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/12/01/former-liverpool-fc-boss-phil-taylor-dies-aged-95-100252-32343885/

According to Wikipedia he brought in many of those who would shape the boot room in the years to come, so R.I.P Phil someone sadly forgotten in the glory of the years that followed.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
RIP. I like Matt, had no idea he was still alive until I saw this post!

RMP

TIA First Team
YNWA Phil Taylor
I didnt know he was alive until the minute of applause today

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
RIP.

dont know much about him but thoughts to his family and friends.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
RIP phill.

RMP, I might be mistaken, but wasn't the minutes applause for the young lad from the academy that passed during the week?

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
RIP phill.

RMP, I might be mistaken, but wasn't the minutes applause for the young lad from the academy that passed during the week?
Yeah you are right Aussielad, according to some who work on LFCTv the family of Taylor didn't want it conducted on Saturday suitable in relation to the young lad.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
RIP Phil Taylor.

Here is an incredibly interesting quote from him, when speaking about his time as manager during the fifties:

Back in 2003, he added: “Looking back, one of the biggest differences with today was the position of the manager.

“At that time, teams at almost all clubs were picked by the board of directors, though they usually did ask the advice of the secretary or coach.

“I know both Don Welsh and myself had to present our teams to full board meetings, often involving eight or nine directors.

“If you had been winning, the directors were unlikely to object to your team, but it was much harder when you wanted to make changes, and I can remember times when the side that ran out was not really the one I had wanted to play.

“I was probably not a strong enough personality to be a good manager, because you really need to insist on being in charge if you are going to be successful.”

No wonder everything changed when Bill Shankly came in. Imagine the current team being picked by Ayre and Werner...

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I think before the era of Chapman that was pretty common, shows how far our board was behind, though managers didn't really exist til around the 20's