• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

RIP Tommy Smith, the Anfield Iron

Maria

Champions of Europe VI
Very sad news, Tommy Smith has passed away. Condolences to the Smith family
a true legend and loyal servant to the club for 18 years and was one of the most influential midfielders in the club's successful history. His nickname was 'Anfield Iron'.

RIP Tommy, a true legend.

Last edited:

Blue Lambretta

MCFC fan here and I have never posted on a opposing teams forum before , but with the sad news of Tommy Smiths passing just wanted to say something.

First went to city in 73 as a 12 year old and loved it ever since. The only time i have had feelings for another team was the LFC team of 77 , st etienne and all that . But the outstanding moment was trying to create the Tommy Smith goal from the European Cup final. In a team of football legends , for him to be the one we were all trying to copy will be one of my football memories till the day I die.
Not sure if there will be a moments appreciation before the weekend games , but i will certainly be having one.
All the best to his family . RIP , the original Iron man , from all the teenage subbuteo playing , panini collecting , dusk till dawn footballers of Manchester .

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I'm too young to have watched him play live but I've read so much about him, he and late Emlyn Hughes, the stories about the two of them have always been fascinating to me. One of the best quotes that I've read about him is that Shankly once told him that he would "start a riot in a graveyard". I can only imagine what opinion his managers and counterparts had of him. Rest in peace, Anfield Iron.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Not going to pretend I have watched him play a whole lot, a bit of highlights here and there is all I get. But he’s one of us that also played during our great era.... RIP Sir. Go and join up our old reds up there and have a kick about.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
He was a legend, loved the man. Hard as fuck, uncompromising but with a degree of skill. He didn't respect reputation, just steamrolled it.
I knew a man who played in that era, and asked him who the hard men really were. At Leeds Giles was harder than Hunter or Bremner, but Reaney was the snakiest of all. Chopper Harris was tough, Mackay was tough, but none of them held a candle to the Anfield Iron. May he rest in peace.

Herb

Undoubtedly a great player in Liverpool’s history who contributed heavily in multiple cup and league wins. However, I feel somewhat uneasy in eulogising over a man who was consistently racially abusing a team mate during his time here and continued to hold such views years later.