Riyad Mahrez (RW) Leicester City

Status
Not open for further replies.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
I like him, decent player, knows the Premier League, has won it before!

If we can pick him up, he would certainly add some depth and quality to the squad. He can shoot, dribble, and play a quick pass and move game.

I think its safe to say that Coutinho is irreplaceable (in the same sense that Torres and Suarez were irreplaceable).

I don't know loads about Lemar, but sounds like Mahrez would be a back-up buy should Lemar not sign for us - but at probably £50-60M cheaper - I have no problem with Mahrez dropping into our squad.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Not convinced he's the right player for us, but then I wasn't wholly convinced about Salah either when we were first linked and was obviously way off on that one.

Just think for the price they will want there are cheaper options with a higher ceiling that we should be looking at.

Last edited:

Incognito

The Normal One
I might be the only one not keen on this guy. I have this perception of him as a mercenary and I recollect him flirting with Barca last summer, if my memory serves right. Not sure though.

Also seems as a back up he'll be very expensive and he would want to be a regular here. Further, am sceptical if he fits the Klopp profile of defending from the front.

Would appreciate some views on that, and I might be way off the mark here.

LFCFFC

As expected we're getting linked with every semi-available winger, is there really anything concrete/credible too this one?

Actually I take that question back...there never is until a lean appears from nowhere.

You'd take him though. Provided we write something into his contract about sorting that mess of a haircut.

Experienced in the Prem. Has a bit of craftiness and a good eye for a pass. Can shoot with accuracy. He'll do, I'd say, for the prices being quoted. Think Klopp could really develop him if he keeps the proper attitude and is willing to work hard. That is one area I'm a bit hesitant about. He's been know to have a sulk when things don't go his way, but, then again, I'd sulk if I had to spend every working day with Vardy. A change of scenery might just do the trick for Riyad's attitude.

Kanonkop

I think that's a tenuous article to start a transfer thread on. Delaney has basically regurgitated a bunch of twitter rumours, or dare I say it, ideas floated here to write an article about our transfer targets with zero quotes or references to anything tangible...and he is NOT one of the journos with an inside track to matters LFC either.

I don't believe there have been any credible links to Mahrez yet.

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
A few weeks ago I told a friend I'd gladly take Mahrez this window if Coutinho is on the way out. I like him and think with his prem experience he'll get right into our starting 11 and soften the blow. I'm fully on board with this one and I don't think we have a shot at Lemar in this window. I think we could probably get Mahrez for something close to 60 million. Sure we could get someone cheaper from a different league but he'd be much more of a question mark.

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
I might be the only one not keen on this guy. I have this perception of him as a mercenary and I recollect him flirting with Barca last summer, if my memory serves right. Not sure though.

Also seems as a back up he'll be very expensive and he would want to be a regular here. Further, am sceptical if he fits the Klopp profile of defending from the front.

Would appreciate some views on that, and I might be way off the mark here.
Nope you're not the only one.

Didn't he down tools about a year ago when he couldn't get his move to Arsenal.

I would sooner offer Arsenal £40m +£1.00 for Sanchez

Real problem is the longer there is silence and uncertainty regarding a major deal (inevitability) the press get to work in the gap.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Honestly I don't think he's getting the credit he deserves here, and a lot of the arguments put against him here are reminiscent of when we signed Mane and Salah.

He's a lot better than decent, or just a back up. He's on par with Mane at least ability wise, if not better. He scored 17 league goals the year they won the league with 10 assists. He's got 8 and 8 this year. Great first touch, very good passer, scorer of great goals, offers a threat from outside the box, very skillful.

I'm going to ignore my feelings about his attitude because it almost always turns out to be irrelevant when fans moan about this when signing a player. Again, heard it about Mane. I made the same mistake with Sturridge. It might be a considerable factor but it probably isn't.

I'll leave this here, as a reminder of the kind of quality we're talking about.

That being said, I'm not expecting this one to happen, but if he were to 'replace' Coutinho then I think we'll have done alright, particularly so if we have a huge chunk of change left for other areas of the side, which we should.

1dragon

TIA Regular
Can Mahrez hit a free kick? Can he shoot from range? Can he create chances from deep? I think whoever that is in-coming to replace Coutinho should ideally possess all three of the above. Our midfield looks ponderous and lacking in creativity without Coutinho. The Ox has been the brightest light there, but he does not possess the vision of Coutinho.

If obtaining Mahrez is just to beef up our wing options, then I say I will give it a pass. The likes of Brandt, Draxler etc are much better and younger options that we can obtain.

Steve_LFC

As posted before. There is still the option of dropping Firmino back into Midfield. As in #10 spot. And bringing in a striker infront of him.
I.E .... PEA or a T. Werner

Just saying.

Steve_LFC

If Klopp wants mahrez. Then im all for it. And actually think he will be huge for us. We need a player capable of coming in and insuring we keep top 4. And help in our CL campaign. He knows the PL.

If we had a 2 yr window to win CL and PL. Then i would break the bank for Sanchez.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
If obtaining Mahrez is just to beef up our wing options, then I say I will give it a pass. The likes of Brandt, Draxler etc are much better and younger options that we can obtain.
Both are good players but I can't see how they're easily better. Mahrez posts numbers that neither of them even get close to. Numbers aren't everything, but when there's such a disparity, and many of Mahrez's contributions are top class (individual goals, great bits of skill etc) then I just can't see how it'd be the case that he is easily a lesser player.

I'd also suggest it's harder to attain a player from PSG than it is from Leicester, so there's that too.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
I wouldn't say no to Mahrez, but for me it would have to be in addition to the likes of Lemar etc, seeing as he plays predominantly on the right. With that in mind, if he were to come in it would feel like a backup/rotation option for Salah. We can do with one of those, but not at the expense of strengthening where Coutinho's departure will leave us weakened.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Yeah he's a good player but he's not very versatile when it comes to where he can play. He plays on the right wing and no where else, well he had 2 games at CAM, but we need someone to play in CM right? Or is Klopp going to change the formation to more of a 4-4-2 or a hybrid of that? That to me is the only way it makes sense to be interested in Mahrez still I am not a fan of him for us. We already have Salah, Mane and Ox who are all more comfortable playing on the right and no one that wells best on the left. And anything over 40m pounds would be a terrible idea especially if he's a stopgap option but then again we know that Klopp doesn't spend that kind of money on players he doesn't think he can improve.
I much prefer Lemar, Sanchez and Fekir or maybe we should just offer Juventus 80-100m for Paulo Dybala?

Bob

If Mahrez is worth £60 mill then Coutinho is priceless! Just keep him

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Yeah he's a good player but he's not very versatile when it comes to where he can play. He plays on the right wing and no where else, well he had 2 games at CAM, but we need someone to play in CM right?
Does that mean he can't play anywhere else, or simply that Leicester have had no reason to play him anywhere else?

1dragon

TIA Regular
Both are good players but I can't see how they're easily better. Mahrez posts numbers that neither of them even get close to. Numbers aren't everything, but when there's such a disparity, and many of Mahrez's contributions are top class (individual goals, great bits of skill etc) then I just can't see how it'd be the case that he is easily a lesser player.

I'd also suggest it's harder to attain a player from PSG than it is from Leicester, so there's that too.
While I largely agree with you, we also have to take into consideration that Mahrez is the main player at Leicester City. Almost everything goes through him and ends with Vardy or him scoring. In contrast, Draxler seldom plays due to the arrival of Mbappe and Neymar. Brandt, I suppose one can argue that he is in a similar situation to Mahrez (main man in a top half of the table club). But I feel Brandt just has a higher ceiling and may suit our play better.

All that being said, so long the fee is not too exorbitant, and we can strength other areas such as GK and DM (Rabiot or Fabinho), then I am all for getting an extra body. But... where does this leave Kent, Ojo and Woodburn?

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Mahrez is an excellent player. Patchy form, though - but same can be said about Mane. I'd have him here without issue... dependent on price. I wouldn't pay more than we did for Ox or Salah.

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
Mahrez is an excellent player. Patchy form, though - but same can be said about Mane. I'd have him here without issue... dependent on price. I wouldn't pay more than we did for Ox or Salah.
Yeah he is a decent player, downing tools and creating problems at his club is another thing.

We have just brought in a player that basically did the same, two at the club...mmmm not sure about that.

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
He's a decent enough player, little inconsistent for me, but Leicester picked up a real bargain when they bought him, but i imagine they would want £50m+ for him now, especially in the middle of the season, and for me, thats way to much.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
With the rate the market is going, we be lucky to get him for £45-50m. Transfer market is going insane, as crazy as bitcoin inflation...

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Does that mean he can't play anywhere else, or simply that Leicester have had no reason to play him anywhere else?
I have no idea but even when Leicester play 4-2-3-1 Mahrez still plays on the right side and doesn't really move around unless its a counter attack. He's not quick but does have an eye for a pass usually on the counter which is how Leicester play and he's not known for his crossing. I just can't see how he fits in with us, it would have to be a total reshuffle of our attacking players and likely a change in formation from the 4-3-3 that we have mostly played. Can we afford to do all that during the season with little to no time to train? I really hope that whoever suggested Mahrez was just a fool with no idea of what's going on at LFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.