• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Riyad Mahrez (RW) Leicester City

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFC_Jeffrey7

Means Klopp is confident on getting his first choice or a better / more fitting player in.
The ideal replacement to Coutinho would be either Asencio/Isco.. Maybe? I can dream?

The best of the "other possibilities" is probably Fékir or Lemar. Not that different than Mahrez.

There seem to be a hold though... could it be the Goretzka situation?

spizfromoz

Es maluco, filho da puta!
Hairdresser,he needs to find a hairdresser.
Preferably one who has run out of peroxide.
Means Klopp is confident on getting his first choice or a better / more fitting player in.
I'm sure Klopp will have discussed the matter with all the local hairdressers to explain how he doesn't fit the team.

They'll be disappointed, though. Must be a big source of income, and Cou's hair must be a big loss, though Can's will be much greater. At least they can plan ahead for that one over the coming months.

nikz200

Why does it seem like BEIN is the ones trying to push this story through.......

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
Possibly because they’re an Arabic news based company, and Mahrez is Algerian, they did the same with Salah (Egyptian)
As it turns out there was a basis for the Salah story. They clearly know something?

Mark Thurgood

As it turns out there was a basis for the Salah story. They clearly know something?
Unfortunately I can’t answer you’re question, I’m unaware if they know something, I’m guessing they may know something. Ultimately they also might be putting his name in the shop window as he’s one of them and there aren’t many successful Arabic speaking players to have graced the premier league and succeed. Towards the end of the August window I remember sky saying Mahrez was in France. Maybe he thinks it’s time to move on from Leicester and play for a bigger club, maybe just maybe he sees us as a stepping stone for pastures knew across Europe also to what some people refer to as the holy grail. For me Liverpool is the holy grail. If it was me I’d move to Barcelona have a good season and say I want to play for a bigger club Liverpool is my dream and I’d pay £20m towards the transfer and ask for £20k per week and give it to the local community but that’s just me

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
More like the media guessing our next move,Kia can push all he wants but he won't get anywhere unless we're genuinely interested,smoke and mirrors i think.
Think @hoosierred meant getting us linked in the media so then he can go to other clubs and go "well Liverpool are interested but if you move quickly.... oh and they're offering this mega money package..."!

Limiescouse

I get that people think there might be something to link given BeIN's Arabic connections, but is the Arabic world really that connected? It seems to me far more of a stretch that they'd have inside knowledge of someone like Mahrez than Salah.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Think @hoosierred meant getting us linked in the media so then he can go to other clubs and go "well Liverpool are interested but if you move quickly.... oh and they're offering this mega money package..."!
Believe it or not, clubs do chat with each other and pretty much know whether the interests are genuine or not my friend. Transfer dealing isn't so much of some national secret that club ranks kept from the world, unless NDA is signed. And if there is an NDA, it would be mutual which means the selling club can't go telling people the offer either.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Believe it or not, clubs do chat with each other and pretty much know whether the interests are genuine or not my friend. Transfer dealing isn't so much of some national secret that club ranks kept from the world, unless NDA is signed. And if there is an NDA, it would be mutual which means the selling club can't go telling people the offer either.
So you think if Wenger wants to sign Mahrez and thinks we may be his main competitor but worried on price he'll get on the blower to confirm if we are interested or not first? And in the interests of good natured, all-around good guy, gentlemanly conduct Klopp is going to say;

"Arsene save your money so you can afford to sign more good players, we really aren't interested. In fact we have found ourselves an absolute steal on Lemar at only £65 million.... I know right.... bargain! We thought they'd charge more as well. After all you bid £92 million in the summer! ....uhuh yeah no that's cool so you're really not going to jump in and raise the price with another last minute bid like last time are you, you loveable scamp you? Nope? You're signing Mahrez now instead? ... and.... who is that? Nope never heard of him! No of course Arsene i promise not to ask my scouts to have a look .... youre clear to sign the kid. So you have no interest in Lemar? So we can snag him at a bargain price? .....And you know we have no interest in Mahrez so you can negotiate the price down on that deal! ..... Hey and good luck finishing top 4 HAHA just joking we don't want you stealing our spot now do We?"!

Think there's mote transparency but not total transparency yet.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
So you think if Wenger wants to sign Mahrez and thinks we may be his main competitor but worried on price he'll get on the blower to confirm if we are interested or not first? And in the interests of good natured, all-around good guy, gentlemanly conduct Klopp is going to say;

"Arsene save your money so you can afford to sign more good players, we really aren't interested. In fact we have found ourselves an absolute steal on Lemar at only £65 million.... I know right.... bargain! We thought they'd charge more as well. After all you bid £92 million in the summer! ....uhuh yeah no that's cool so you're really not going to jump in and raise the price with another last minute bid like last time are you, you loveable scamp you? Nope? You're signing Mahrez now instead? ... and.... who is that? Nope never heard of him! No of course Arsene i promise not to ask my scouts to have a look .... youre clear to sign the kid. So you have no interest in Lemar? So we can snag him at a bargain price? .....And you know we have no interest in Mahrez so you can negotiate the price down on that deal! ..... Hey and good luck finishing top 4 HAHA just joking we don't want you stealing our spot now do We?"!

Think there's mote transparency but not total transparency yet.
You have some imagination right there....

Barnestormer

Left wing.
I get that people think there might be something to link given BeIN's Arabic connections, but is the Arabic world really that connected? It seems to me far more of a stretch that they'd have inside knowledge of someone like Mahrez than Salah.
Beginning to think its a distraction story to deflect, Arsenal principally, from our interest in Lemar.

Limiescouse

Out of interest, did anyone work out if Mahrez actually was in the 'Blackpool of the middle east', Dubai , when Klopp and our lot were out there too?

And why is Firmino in Cyprus?! Deserves it tbh.
From what I saw he was visiting Allan who is on loan with Apollon. I doubt that was the reason for him not going with the rest of the group, but it's kind of cool to see.

FGred

I guess the answer to my own question is that Cyprus, Dubai (and the Canaries) are about the closest and best chance of decent sunshine in Jan.

So Firmino being in Cyprus and Mahrez possibly being in Dubai don't mean much really.

Nice of Klopp to give Bobby a break, shows how key he is. So doubt we'll be getting another 9 to surplant him.
It’s possibly a lot quicker to fly him to an FA hearing from Cyprus than from Dubai? Just guessing...

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
If you really believe clubs are discussing their interests and bids with each other, especially clubs directly competing with each other, is say so do you!
Uhm.... they do talk, at the length you're talking about is like a bunch of two old ladies discussing which handbags to purchase. So let's not think buying a player is like a national secret where no other clubs know there were interests coming from our side. Sorry, I was trying to be nice, your reply to me sounded like something an elementary school kids will think of.

Serdar Ekrem İleri

Gerrard Generation
He is a very good player indeed but we already have guys like him.What we need is a creative playmaker who will be the base upon which the front three will operate.A central midfielder who is a genious at reading the game,passing the ball to the right person,able to defend and contribute to the offensives.Mahrez does not fit that description.I know a guy who does:Ozil.We need him a lot.If we get him and a top goalkeeper, there will be nothing that will remain between us and a lot of shiny trophies.

HKReds

He is a very good player indeed but we already have guys like him.What we need is a creative playmaker who will be the base upon which the front three will operate.A central midfielder who is a genious at reading the game,passing the ball to the right person,able to defend and contribute to the offensives.Mahrez does not fit that description.I know a guy who does:Ozil.We need him a lot.If we get him and a top goalkeeper, there will be nothing that will remain between us and a lot of shiny trophies.
I was agreeing with you about the ability to defend until you mention Ozil.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member

Hard to think of a worse fit for a Klopp team then Ozil.

Limiescouse

I don’t know if that’s true. Klopp made Nuri Sahin the best player in the budesliege and Ozil is fairly similar to him?
And Goetze. Gundogan is hardly Scott Parker either. There is this idea that Klopp values only athleticism and physicality, and anyone who is a talent first sort of player gets labelled "not a Klopp player." Yet, this is now 4 really highly rated players (including Phil) who have played the best football for their career under Klopp, and often were not a patch on that form after parting ways with him.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
And Goetze. Gundogan is hardly Scott Parker either. There is this idea that Klopp values only athleticism and physicality, and anyone who is a talent first sort of player gets labelled "not a Klopp player." Yet, this is now 4 really highly rated players (including Phil) who have played the best football for their career under Klopp, and often were not a patch on that form after parting ways with him.

Gotze was always a hard worker, Sahin is a fair point but Ozil falls into the Balotelli level of effort and we saw how Klopp felt about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.