• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Riyad Mahrez (RW) Leicester City

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
I have no idea but even when Leicester play 4-2-3-1 Mahrez still plays on the right side and doesn't really move around unless its a counter attack. He's not quick but does have an eye for a pass usually on the counter which is how Leicester play and he's not known for his crossing. I just can't see how he fits in with us, it would have to be a total reshuffle of our attacking players and likely a change in formation from the 4-3-3 that we have mostly played. Can we afford to do all that during the season with little to no time to train? I really hope that whoever suggested Mahrez was just a fool with no idea of what's going on at LFC.
He comes in centrally quite a lot, he doesn't hug the touchline constantly. Does he cross much? Did Mane when he played on the right?

He's an intelligent player, one who scores loads of goals, sets up loads of goals, and is excellent technically. I wouldn't get too hung up about him not being able to play in a different position, he would adapt.

As for people going on about the price, I imagine there wouldn't have been too many raised eyebrows about paying 65-75 million on Lacazette or Morata. Is Mahrez a lesser player than those two? What about Lukaku?

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Highly unrealistic that we might get him, at least right now. Next summer, who knows...

(a very good player in my book)

HKReds

If we do sign him, I not sure if anyone factor in losing more than 1/2 of our attacking players and creative forces every 2 years for the period when the African Nations Cup is taking place

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
If we do sign him, I not sure if anyone factor in losing more than 1/2 of our attacking players and creative forces every 2 years for the period when the African Nations Cup is taking place
They have moved the dates, no longer in January my friend.... Don't you know African Players are the new South Americans.... :)

JMac8

If we sign him we’ll be close to having all the nominees for next year’s African Footballer of the Year!!

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
For real, just sing Kante and Aubameyang and we're pretty much there.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
So, backup plan if Lemar doesn't go through... find it hard to believe we'd go for both over the next two transfer windows, I believe it's one or the other.

Mahrez is technically very good, certainly not Coutinho's level, but better than most of our players (technically "cleaner" than both Mane and Salah), that's his biggest strength. When he's on it, he's very dangerous. We'll see if he finally gets that chance at a higher level. He's one of those that someone like Klopp must look at and think "can I take his talent as a base and get him to work in our group, maybe even raise him to a new level"? Slowly with years passing by, I think he becomes more of a target for us than for some more competitive/winning sides.

Interesting as I think they would occupy opposite sides if they joined. That is we don't plan to go "full Pep" and counter the "opposite foot on sides" thing of the last years to play Mahrez on the left. You would have to think that he would play on the right, Salah would be used even more as a forward (alongside Firmino) and Mane would remain on the left. Lemar would probably start on the left, but he does have the potential to maybe do a job on the right of cutting inside or maybe develop him as a dynamic midfielder.

We'll see how we evaluate this, as it seems like Lemar is still our top target. How much does Klopp believe in Mane's abilities on the left (where he cuts inside, receives more on the inside and his technical weaknesses are more obvious)? As more part of a midfield 4 than a forward in a 3? Would it be too much and unbalanced if we had Mane back on the right with Salah as the (in that case - right) sided attacker, both who are primarily runners? Mahrez would bring elements of creativity for sure. With Lemar though, I'm also curious what we do, as Thomas is someone who would be able to help that central midfield a bit better as the opposite winger goes on the attack more.

Herb

I echo what ILLOK said, this is a top class player who’s ability is in the main under appreciated. Its kind of surprising how downbeat people seem to be on the lad, was he not POTY when they won the league? Remember how lethal he was when they countered on teams, think he’d suit us down to the ground in that sense.

In terms of a gettable player who’s available for all comps, I’m not sure if there are many out there we can get who are better. Lemar definitey isn’t worth twice as much as this lad, and yet people seem well keen on the idea of getting him in for £90m, probably having seen little to nothing of him.

Redsi73

Can see Leicester fleecing us for the fee if we do go for him. 50-75m for sure, they will know we have a pocket full of cash.

Definitely like him as a player though, has the game type our forwards all display.

Missredjac

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Honestly I don't think he's getting the credit he deserves here, and a lot of the arguments put against him here are reminiscent of when we signed Mane and Salah.

He's a lot better than decent, or just a back up. He's on par with Mane at least ability wise, if not better. He scored 17 league goals the year they won the league with 10 assists. He's got 8 and 8 this year. Great first touch, very good passer, scorer of great goals, offers a threat from outside the box, very skillful.

I'm going to ignore my feelings about his attitude because it almost always turns out to be irrelevant when fans moan about this when signing a player. Again, heard it about Mane. I made the same mistake with Sturridge. It might be a considerable factor but it probably isn't.

I'll leave this here, as a reminder of the kind of quality we're talking about.

That being said, I'm not expecting this one to happen, but if he were to 'replace' Coutinho then I think we'll have done alright, particularly so if we have a huge chunk of change left for other areas of the side, which we should.
Multiple factors are at play here. He had a poor second season (which many people expected of whole Leicester team), which coincided with their slide down the table and sacking of Ranieri and then Shakespeare, and people partly blamed his poor form for the former. He really couldn't be arsed in some of those games, then he openly talked about moving away from Leicester, he was said to be looking to go to Barcelona and then Leicester couldn't agree a deal with Roma, Leicester still want huge money for him, probably even bigger than in the summer (quoted price was about 30-35 million pounds then, I think)... And then there are his silly haircuts!

Credit to him for turning his form around, though, especially after the disappointment of missing out on his move to a big club. I don't think Liverpool will be in for him, I find that link strange because he doesn't strike me as the kind of character who will help you turn around a result when the chips are down and, what is more important, I don't think he'd be a good fit for a high pressing side. I'll bite for discussion's sake, though. Monchi did want him as Salah's replacement, which is a pretty good endorsement in my book. He has immense technical ability, has pace, scores, assists... Wouldn't be the biggest star at Liverpool, which would probably suit him, and he'd be another leftie in the squad. Also, he wouldn't be cup-tied for CL games. Not that Liverpool are going to win it, it would just be nice to go as far as possible and Coutinho's departure harms those chances significantly.

Relative to this whole Coutinho saga, it would be nice to replace him with a player who provides consistent goal threat and offers pace and set-piece ability and also have a large chunk of money left for other transfers. Mahrez is that type of player, roughly speaking. At 35-40 million pounds, I probably wouldn't be against it, though I have nothing to compare him to (maybe Lemar's price tag from last summer, which, if it was all straight up money, was frankly obscene) and I would still hope that his pressing game would improve (at his age, I think he can do just that). I ideal scenario, Klopp gets such a wide player, uses the rest of money to fund a move for a central midfielder and a goalkeeper, even if in the summer, and uses Sturridge's and Origi's transfer fees to buy another forward perhaps, depending on his tactical plans. I presume that buying someone like Mahrez would mean that Salah would become the second striker in 4-4-2.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
They have moved the dates, no longer in January my friend.... Don't you know African Players are the new South Americans.... :)
With the added bonus that they wouldn't throw their firstborn off a cliff for the opportunity to move to Barca or RM.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Really good player although it's kind of hard to see how and where he'd fit in. He predominantly plays on the wings so his direct competition would be Salah and Mane, whom he probably wouldn't displace and operating in a midfield 3 like Coutinho seems also unlikely given his style and lack of application defensively. All in all, it's hard to see where he'd feature in a team with Mane, Salah and Firmino while Leicester would demand an exorbitant fee.

Maybe Klopp has plans for him, who knows, but from the outside looking in he doesn't look like the type of player who would fit in seamlessly.

big noyd

better than mane or salah technically, imo, just not nearly the same pace or workrate

would provide a somewhat reasonable facsimile of coutinho's scoring outside the box (both open play and free kicks)

but where coutinho's improved quite a bit off the ball, mahrez generally can't be bothered to contribute

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
If he does arrive I can't see him being anything more than a bit of depth for the wings. He certainly won't displace either of Mane or Salah from our best starting lineup so would just be an option for subs or rotation. Don't get me wrong we need depth and the plan might be to get Mahrez cheapish to give us a bit more depth on the wings to cover the loss of Coutinho from the LW position and then spend the balance on a quality CAM so we essentially get two players too cover the two positions that Coutinho played.

My biggest issue will be how much Leicester will want for him. I wouldn't want to pay more than 30/35 mil for him. He's not worth more than what we paid for Salah in the summer. Doubt Leicester will be prepared to do business at that amount. I'd say they will want more like 50/60 mil for him which is silly money.

Would prefer Lemar myself, obviously a more expensive player but he has such a high ceiling. Working with Klopp he could be one of the best players in the world in the next few years and is already a very good player now. He is also a bit more positionally flexible than Mahrez. Again depends on the price we are paying 90 mil is silly and too much but if we could get it down closer to 70mil then I think he is the better option.

I cannot believe the fees we discuss now, its insanity the level it has reached now.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Mahrez is a different type of winger than Mané, Salah or Lemar. Not the speedy type more 'ball playing' and 'playmaking'. Coutinho is type of both.
Honestly I can’t see him do Coutinho things (coming from deep with the ball close to his feet, dribbling, shooting...) but i would say he has a better eye for a pass than Coutinho. Klopp would probably know how to get the best out of him.
With 2,5 years left of his contract I would say yes to every deal under £40m.

Richard88

I don't see Mahrez as a Coutinho replacement. Rather, I think it's a move that simply adds another proper winger to the wing positions. Mane and Salah are first choice but beyond that there's only Ox (after Coutinho leaves), and Ox is better suited to CM than wing.

Between Ox having settled and Lallana coming back from injury (and the December fixtures out of the way) I could see how Mahrez would be the "replacement" in the squad without actually being a like-for-like with Coutinho...

Effectively, a settled Ox and a fit Lallana are Coutinho's replacement in the No.8 role, with Mahrez taking the minutes Ox/Coutinho have been getting on the wing...

Thus in the short-term (next 6 months) the front 6 would be:

Mane ---------- Firmino ------------ Salah
Woodburn ---- Sturridge ---------- Mahrez
-------------------- Solanke

---------- Lallana ----------- Ox
--------- Wijnaldum -------- Milner
---------- Grujic

------------------ Henderson
--------------------- Can

And in the summer - when Keita comes in, along with probably Can's replacement in the No.6 position, and another young playmaker (eg. Brandt), the front 6 would look like this:

Mane ---------- Firmino ------------ Salah
Brandt --------- Sturridge ---------- Mahrez
-------------------- Solanke

---------- Lallana ----------- Keita
--------- Wijnaldum -------- Ox
---------- Grujic ------------- Milner

------------------ New No.6
------------------ Henderson

That there gives the team the right balance in terms of age profile and positional roles going forwards.

In a sense I think Coutinho is something of a conundrum for Klopp, given that he's neither a No.8 nor a winger, whereas the players coming in at wing and No.8 are all quite pacy and direct players who would fit Klopp's positions in a 433 rather well, including Mahrez.

Last edited:

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
My biggest issue will be how much Leicester will want for him. I wouldn't want to pay more than 30/35 mil for him. He's not worth more than what we paid for Salah in the summer. Doubt Leicester will be prepared to do business at that amount. I'd say they will want more like 50/60 mil for him which is silly money.
He's worth well more than 30/35 million in this market. You are massively underrating him.

Salah was worth well more than what we paid for him so that's a pretty unfair base to start off with.

Why don't you look at the fees for Morata, Lukaku, Lacazette, Sigurrdsson? Mahrez is better than all of those IMO, so we should be expecting to pay 50 odd million at least.

There's Walker, Mendy, Silva, Matic, D.Sanchez etc all going for more than 40. Bakayoko and Drinkwater around a similar price, Ox too.

You look at the players who've gone for 20-25 million: Keane, Klassen, Andre Gray, Iheanacho, Sakho, Arnoutavic etc.

We're talking about one of the best wide forwards in the league here, not some midtable no hoper. He won the league with 'em. He's of the Van Dijk and Mane variety, plays for a smaller club but is very, very obviously good enough to go higher.

FGred

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/liverpool-transfer-news-philippe-coutinho-barcelona-lemar-mahrez-january-window-shortlist-a8143406.html

The independent is reporting it, that'll do.

Me personally, he'd be a good option. The problem is, is that I can see him being more of a squad player. And the trouble is, he's Leicester's star player so they'll want a fair amount for him.
His get out clause is 50M simples if he wants to join us all we have to do is trigger it, it doesn’t mean Leicester will accept it though

Status
Not open for further replies.