Riyad Mahrez (RW) Leicester City

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

That description has us as a stepping stone and no mistake,sure that is what we have become.No trophies there.As soon as the team is approaching success you sell your best player abd boom back to the drawing board.
My last comment there at the last is about a give and take till the Club itself becomes the end product meaning that until we start delivering trophies and consistently high league positions it will be a scenario where we have to manage our best players and their ambitions accordingly. Our buys reflect that; talented players but not often the finished article whereas our rivals tend to have a mix of both tending to finished articles. We are not too far off though, the growth and pull of the Club has grown markedly under Klopp.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Players maybe.... but agents? Nah. These guys love greedy owners....
Mahrez' agent will have made very little from him to date, and is quite possibly more upset by the collapse of the deal than Mahrez himself.

Does make you wonder why he signed a contract extension with a term as long as that, I think he has almost two years to go.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
Mahrez' agent will have made very little from him to date, and is quite possibly more upset by the collapse of the deal than Mahrez himself.

Does make you wonder why he signed a contract extension with a term as long as that, I think he has almost two years to go.
Runs out in July 2020 from what I can tell, so actually 2.5 years!

Apparently signed a 4-year extension in summer 2016.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Runs out in July 2020 from what I can tell, so actually 2.5 years!

Apparently signed a 4-year extension in summer 2016.
It would have come with a substantial raise, but by that time it would have been clear that Leicester would be letting some key pieces leave - surprising they did not demand a release clause. With the sort of numbers in the market in Summer 2016, very unlikely that Leicester would have insisted on a £95M release at that time.

My guess is that he will be much more resistant to any new contract extension now, so the question will really be what happens over the next year.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
He will move in one of the next windows (2 years left from next summer on, that will probably be it), it's time to move on and give Puel that money to spend. The question is if he will be focused enough to keep this hot form he was in and who will be ready to pay big money (City could turn and go elsewhere by that time, things can change).

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"

I think he and his client were hoping for a big pay-day after the contract extension. A few clubs been monitoring him and Arsenal did try and get him for £30-40m after winning the league if I am not mistaken. Backfired a little, but I am quite sure come summer he will be moving on for about £40-50m, the market rate for an attacking midfielder like him. If he recaptures his form during their title run, I think his price tag will soar towards the £70m range.

redwhiteley7

My last comment there at the last is about a give and take till the Club itself becomes the end product meaning that until we start delivering trophies and consistently high league positions it will be a scenario where we have to manage our best players and their ambitions accordingly. Our buys reflect that; talented players but not often the finished article whereas our rivals tend to have a mix of both tending to finished articles. We are not too far off though, the growth and pull of the Club has grown markedly under Klopp.
I get that and I agree to some extent.I think though at some point,and for me that is now,we need to be ready in signing on fee and wages to go out and get the finished player~maybe we have done this with VVD and maybe again with Keita.We have to accelerate our progress like this if we are going to step up otherwise like I said it could take forever.Also,although I agree things are improving under Klopp lets not forget we are trying to get back to where we were only a little more than ten years ago.Klopp has to be getting us back to competing season after season at the later stages of the CL and win it to be successful.The Prem is even tougher of course..

Limiescouse

They sold Kante and Drinkwater at least if not another from that title winning team and were ready to let Vardy go to the arse.Its about the timing and the quality and position,for those reasons they are right to ask big money for Mahrez as we did for cuntinho.You think 90 mill is way too high but 60 is about right but cunty is not 2.5 × the player Mahrez is in my book.I think 90 mill in the current inflated market is about right.
They did indeed let those two go, and struck a deal for Vardy, and all for totally reasonable (maybe even cheap) fees. That's what makes their stance on Mahrez potentially self-defeating and gives him a justification for feeling pretty pissed off.

redwhiteley7

They did indeed let those two go, and struck a deal for Vardy, and all for totally reasonable (maybe even cheap) fees. That's what makes their stance on Mahrez potentially self-defeating and gives him a justification for feeling pretty pissed off.
True that but the market has inflated in the period since those deals and City left it very late in the window,as did Mahrez.I wish we had gone in to negotiate immediately after the coutinho sale and see if Mahrez would put in the request for us.Never know now.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
True that but the market has inflated in the period since those deals and City left it very late in the window,as did Mahrez.I wish we had gone in to negotiate immediately after the coutinho sale and see if Mahrez would put in the request for us.Never know now.
Given some of the rumours around LFC and Mahrez, it is quite possible that that is exactly what happened, but LFC realized that Leicester's thinking was similar to what City would eventually discover.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
If we are truly interested in Mahrez, we should not go in after confirming the departure of Coutinho, we should do it before. That way, we won't get our arms squeezed like how we are right now, whichever player we go for the club would be asking for at least half if not more from the fees we made from Coutinho. That's a bad move. I would have expected that savvy transfer guru, Edwards would have come up with a proper plan to replace that little Brazilian way before we sell him off.

Unfortunately.... oh well.

Kopstar

★★★★★
If we are truly interested in Mahrez, we should not go in after confirming the departure of Coutinho, we should do it before. That way, we won't get our arms squeezed like how we are right now, whichever player we go for the club would be asking for at least half if not more from the fees we made from Coutinho. That's a bad move. I would have expected that savvy transfer guru, Edwards would have come up with a proper plan to replace that little Brazilian way before we sell him off.

I agree but this is why the decision to sell Coutinho when we did makes it more likely Klopp's call, imo. There was no need to agree the sale of Coutinho at that point financially or for logistical reasons. He was injured for the rest of the transfer window anyway and Barcelona, whilst perhaps fearing a transfer ban in the summer would not have been constrained before the end of January. Edwards is particular, methodical, I'm sure his preference would have been to make progress on incomings before Coutinho left so only an emotional factor (such as disruption/threat to squad harmony) could really realistically intervene. Do you think the suits wouldn't have warned Klopp that incomings were far from assured? He's not an idiot, he knows that until someone's signed for you there are no guarantees. He's seen deals fall through throughout his career. Do we believe Klopp has the final say on comings and goings? I certainly do. Nope, for me, something happened between Coutinho and Klopp that left Klopp in no doubt that he had to move Coutinho on without delay and agree to his transfer in the first week of January rather than keep him around, a sale agreed but confidential, until replacements had been secured or the end of January, whichever was sooner. Selling him when we did, without first giving ourselves greater opportunity to secure further signings, is an emotional decision and one which could only be taken by Klopp.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin

The arm squeezing from Mahrez didn't come about because we sold Coutinho. Just like the arm-squeezing from Monaco didn't come about from it. Or any of the other lunatic moves that have happened over the past year.

FGred

The agent was not smart enough to put a release clause in his contract because they let go Kante and Drinkwater quite easily as soon as that was activated hang on a minute I’ve just remembered that his agent is Kia jobrobdogian maybe he isn’t as smart as previously thought.

Last edited:

redfanman

TIA Regular
The agent was not smart enough to put a release clause in his contract because they let go Kante and Drinkwater quite easily as soon as that was activated hang on a minute I’ve just remembered that his agent is Kia jobrobdogian maybe he isn’t as smart as previously thought.
Kia doesn't care about release clauses because he is happy to kick up a stink so the player gets his move anyway. Probably same as Riola. Negotiate higher wages for not having a clause then push through a move if you want it.

Didn't work this time round probably because the lack of time for the move breakdown to lead to the fuss and is perhaps confident City's interest will help him get a bigger payday in the summer...(at Leicesters expense?)

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
The arm squeezing from Mahrez didn't come about because we sold Coutinho. Just like the arm-squeezing from Monaco didn't come about from it. Or any of the other lunatic moves that have happened over the past year.
Yeah, the Lemar deal was down to the inflated price in the market with Neymar's move and then Mbappe's price tag at above £100m level, I get that.

My point is that I didn't think we planned ahead of time on the move with regards to Coutinho, somewhere at the back of our recruitment team mind they thought we would be able to keep Coutinho for half a season longer. I was hoping for them to anticipate and make our move regardless of Coutinho being here after January window, because I am quite sure they know we won't be able to keep him come August. So why not go for it before we made any sale? I am quite sure they can handle negotiating for another player while trying to tie up the deal with Van Dijk.

I am not for or against Mahrez coming over, I just thought that with a manager/coach like Klopp who isn't keen to throw money for the sake of it, the recruitment team should be more clever in their moves. After all they aren't paid like £1000 a week.... They are no fresh graduates and just sit there waiting for instructions.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Yeah, the Lemar deal was down to the inflated price in the market with Neymar's move and then Mbappe's price tag at above £100m level, I get that.

My point is that I didn't think we planned ahead of time on the move with regards to Coutinho, somewhere at the back of our recruitment team mind they thought we would be able to keep Coutinho for half a season longer. I was hoping for them to anticipate and make our move regardless of Coutinho being here after January window, because I am quite sure they know we won't be able to keep him come August. So why not go for it before we made any sale? I am quite sure they can handle negotiating for another player while trying to tie up the deal with Van Dijk.

I am not for or against Mahrez coming over, I just thought that with a manager/coach like Klopp who isn't keen to throw money for the sake of it, the recruitment team should be more clever in their moves. After all they aren't paid like £1000 a week.... They are no fresh graduates and just sit there waiting for instructions.
Yep whether we were losing Coutinho in winter or summer we were losing him. Especially if all the talk about what a bad influence he was being is true. If we were losing him it's intelligent to make sure we have our replacement in and settled as soon as possible.

Just think the clubs being hypocritical. Wanting to sell at the new levels but being extremely reluctant to buy at the new levels. I still maintain we won't save money by waiting till Summer.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Yep whether we were losing Coutinho in winter or summer we were losing him. Especially if all the talk about what a bad influence he was being is true. If we were losing him it's intelligent to make sure we have our replacement in and settled as soon as possible.

Just think the clubs being hypocritical. Wanting to sell at the new levels but being extremely reluctant to buy at the new levels. I still maintain we won't save money by waiting till Summer.
I agree with @Kopstar, this was most likely Klopps decision driven by principle and emotion and not one driven by money (well refusing to pay particular prices might be I suppose but not sure the buying and selling should be conflated in that way).

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
By the look of things we will have to rely on Gini , Ox and Lallana (is fit) to give us that creativity, is our season in danger ? Hell yeah , but I guess the profit is better ....
What profit? I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that the flow of money has been from FSG, not towards.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Wow... apparently Mahrez has been AWOL for the past four days and Leicester could be in trouble with the drug-testers as a result...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/riyad-mahrez-madness-continue-leicester-11954940

Could hardly be a better time for a resurgent Swansea to try and get a result there...
There was that odd statement from an anonymous fried suggesting that Mahrez was depressed - sort of wonder if that is laying a mental health grounds for either terminating his contract or at least knocking back fines.

redfanman

TIA Regular
There was that odd statement from an anonymous fried suggesting that Mahrez was depressed - sort of wonder if that is laying a mental health grounds for either terminating his contract or at least knocking back fines.
Was he taking anything for medicinal purposes?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"

mazpool

TIA Reserve Team
Close Me Please

Status
Not open for further replies.