• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Riyad Mahrez (RW) Leicester City

Status
Not open for further replies.

FGred

With the rate the market is going, we be lucky to get him for £45-50m. Transfer market is going insane, as crazy as bitcoin inflation...
His get out clause is 50M but if we want him all of a sudden it go up to 60 or 70M

Dave-D

10 assist and 7 goals in 22 game 21 starts and 1 being 15 minutes on as a sub. I’d be more than happy for him to come in and replace Coutinho in the squad. Already knows the EPL and if Klopp wants him that’s more than enough for me.

If it’s 50 to 60 million then so be it and would still leave money from Coutinho for a goalkeeper and even the defender from Basel to come in during the summer

FGred

He's worth well more than 30/35 million in this market. You are massively underrating him.

Salah was worth well more than what we paid for him so that's a pretty unfair base to start off with.

Why don't you look at the fees for Morata, Lukaku, Lacazette, Sigurrdsson? Mahrez is better than all of those IMO, so we should be expecting to pay 50 odd million at least.

There's Walker, Mendy, Silva, Matic, D.Sanchez etc all going for more than 40. Bakayoko and Drinkwater around a similar price, Ox too.

You look at the players who've gone for 20-25 million: Keane, Klassen, Andre Gray, Iheanacho, Sakho, Arnoutavic etc.

We're talking about one of the best wide forwards in the league here, not some midtable no hoper. He won the league with 'em. He's of the Van Dijk and Mane variety, plays for a smaller club but is very, very obviously good enough to go higher.
And people quoting that he is a one trick pony is not quite true as i have seen him switch positions with Vardy and gray and Okazaki. I think JK will do wonders with him. As for downing tools so did all of the Leicester players as collectively they all got Ranieri the sack

SupaLFC96

Anybody Klopp deems good enough im for it. One thing since he has arrive, we have rarely miss on signings, i actually can't name one player who has been a dud that Klopp brought in. The thing we have to remember is, i think Keita will ve Coutinho replacement and along with Lallana will be the creativity when he's back fully fit. Mahrez would fit in to what we do offensively and provide balance. Honestly, i would take a punt at Ozil as well. He's on his last year like Sanchez but he doesn't get criticize because he's a quiet guy. Ozil and Mahrez would be awesome.

FGred

Mahrez is a different type of winger than Mané, Salah or Lemar. Not the speedy type more 'ball playing' and 'playmaking'. Coutinho is type of both.
Honestly I can’t see him do Coutinho things (coming from deep with the ball close to his feet, dribbling, shooting...) but i would say he has a better eye for a pass than Coutinho. Klopp would probably know how to get the best out of him.
With 2,5 years left of his contract I would say yes to every deal under £40m.
Really i have not seen a player take the ball of him when he is on a run and can dribble past 5 to 6 players and score at the end of it. I would go as far as to say he is better than PC if he was Brasilian we would not be arguing about him, but he is french even though he plays for Algeria because of his father. His career is a bit like Vardy’s plonked out of obscurity by Leicester from LE Havre for £400K if he had played for a big french club he would be playing for France now.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Really i have not seen a player take the ball of him when he is on a run and can dribble past 5 to 6 players and score at the end of it. I would go as far as to say he is better than PC if he was Brasilian we would not be arguing about him, but he is french even though he plays for Algeria because of his father. His career is a bit like Vardy’s plonked out of obscurity by Leicester from LE Havre for £400K if he had played for a big french club he would be playing for France now.
1. I‘m not even a big fan of Coutinho and I don’t think he will be such a big loss.

2. I wasn’t thinking about Mahrez' nationality or his origins

3. I wasn’t arguing or doubting his talent.

One thing is for sure - we are short of left winger (or players coming from the left) and Mahrez never played on the left wing. But as I already wrote - Klopp will know how to get the best out of him.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Just been looking on a Leicester forum and apparently Barca is his dream destination.

Oh and they want £80m to £100m for him.
That is that, then,pay silly money for Barca to come sniffing!
After the Coutinho farce,however it ends,we’d be bonkers!

Danny_

At the right price, a good player as I think he is out of contract. We could go for Sanchez as well to replace Coutinho. I'd still prefer to have Phil but it would not be bad.

João Cunha

Banned Users
At the right price, a good player as I think he is out of contract. We could go for Sanchez as well to replace Coutinho. I'd still prefer to have Phil but it would not be bad.
I'm not sure about that, I think that Sanchez at this point only wants to go to City, besides that he would want gigantic wages

Libero

We are losing the Brazilian samba but bringing in the beat of the African drum.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
His get out clause is 50M but if we want him all of a sudden it go up to 60 or 70M
No reports stating he has a buy out clause in his contract that I have been able to find. Where is this £50m buyout comes from?

StevenAlonso

Last Summer Leicester were ready to sell him for a good offer but nothing came about..If i am not wrong the prices quoted was around 40 million pounds...

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
I don't think Mahrez is the ideal option. We need a playmaker CM. Mahrez is a right winger, a position filled with Chamberlain, Mané and Salah.

We have to look for a creative CM who's also able to play as left winger eventually.

People seem to forget that our attack is pretty good already, our problem is the midfield. We need a very good creative CM in case Coutinho is out, I don't know why we are talking about Mahrez. He is good (I don't think he is that good, he is decent), but it's not what we need right now.

Unless Klopp wants to go 4-4-2 (Mané left, Mahrez right, Salah and Firms upfront), Mahrez is not a player we should seek.

It's the same case as Draxler. He is not a playmaker CM, he is a second striker and people think he could replace Coutinho. Neither Draxler or Mahrez could replace Coutinho's playstyle and positioning.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Why couldn't Mahrez play the role Coutinho has played behind Firmino? Is he missing the tireless work rate and defensive skills of Coutinho?

Both him and Lemar could play behind Firmino or play out wide. Whether their playstyle is identical to Coutinho is neither here nor there. That said, I don't think either player is too far off either.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Why couldn't Mahrez play the role Coutinho has played behind Firmino? Is he missing the tireless work rate and defensive skills of Coutinho?

Both him and Lemar could play behind Firmino or play out wide. Whether their playstyle is identical to Coutinho is neither here nor there. That said, I don't think either player is too far off either.
Mahrez has played just 2 games in that central attacking position while Gray and Okasaki has been preferred to him in that position. You don't seem to get that if we buy Mahrez this month to "replace" Coutinho then we'll have to change the formation to suit him and play mostly 4-4-2 to incorporate this new "Fab 4" or he can be rotated into that front line but mostly playing at right forward. Klopp might have different plans for him than all of the managers that he's worked under at Leicester City but at 26yrs old I doubt he'll suddenly be better playing somewhere else.

Koon

Coutinho plays as CM, he is not a 10 for a few months already (the ones who play as 10 are Lallana and Chamberlain). As I said, it's all about positioning. Coutinho is a CM. His starting position is as CM and he is the one who's able to break lines and send dead balls. He is our creator from the middle of the pitch, sometimes even deeper.

With his dribble and direct play, Coutinho is able to drive the ball to the opposition box.

Now, how about Mahrez? We would have a right winger playing as AMC and we still would have 2 huge problems:

1 - there's nobody creative enough in our central midfield. We would have Can/Hendo and Gini/Milner and none of them are good enough or creative enough.

2 - Playing 4-2-3-1 instead of 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 would leave Salah too far away from the opposition box. Salah's best position is between the left back and CB. He is a beast out there. If you play 4-2-3-1, you will defend 4-4-1-1 and Salah will be a winger, with Mahrez behind Firmino. It's not good because Salah would be too far away from the box and would be less effective.

Our biggest problem this season is the lack of creativity, that's why Klopp moved Coutinho to CM and Coutinho did beatufully. It's very, very different playing Mahrez.

We will be able to play 4-2-3-1 next season because we will have a creative player as CM (Keita), so things will sort out, but right now, this season, I don't think it would be good having Mahrez unless we play 4-4-2 and keep Salah upfront.

We have a problem, we have to deal with it. Our problem in case Coutinho is out is the lack of creativity and forward passes in our midfield. Why should we buy a winger and still have creativity problems in the midfield? It doesn't make sense at all.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
I think you need to be a bit more open minded and have a bit more vision than is being shown here. There's some overcomplicating of a simple game going on.

Mahrez has similar qualities to Coutinho. He plays the wide forward role in a similar way. It's not beyond the realms of possibility he could add something similar when playing behind Firmino.

That's my take anyway.

Even if he's bought solely for the front 3 I'd still think it was a sound purchase.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Coutinho plays as CM, he is not a 10 for a few months already (the ones who play as 10 are Lallana and Chamberlain). As I said, it's all about positioning. Coutinho is a CM. His starting position is as CM and he is the one who's able to break lines and send dead balls. He is our creator from the middle of the pitch, sometimes even deeper.

With his dribble and direct play, Coutinho is able to drive the ball to the opposition box.

Now, how about Mahrez? We would have a right winger playing as AMC and we still would have 2 huge problems:

1 - there's nobody creative enough in our central midfield. We would have Can/Hendo and Gini/Milner and none of them are good enough or creative enough.

2 - Playing 4-2-3-1 instead of 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 would leave Salah too far away from the opposition box. Salah's best position is between the left back and CB. He is a beast out there. If you play 4-2-3-1, you will defend 4-4-1-1 and Salah will be a winger, with Mahrez behind Firmino. It's not good because Salah would be too far away from the box and would be less effective.

Our biggest problem this season is the lack of creativity, that's why Klopp moved Coutinho to CM and Coutinho did beatufully. It's very, very different playing Mahrez.

We will be able to play 4-2-3-1 next season because we will have a creative player as CM (Keita), so things will sort out, but right now, this season, I don't think it would be good having Mahrez unless we play 4-4-2 and keep Salah upfront.

We have a problem, we have to deal with it. Our problem in case Coutinho is out is the lack of creativity and forward passes in our midfield. Why should we buy a winger and still have creativity problems in the midfield? It doesn't make sense at all.
He really hasn't. We've been playing a 4-2-4 With our "fab four" being very much a forward quartet. Wijnaldum, Milner, Can and Henderson has been our CM base of two. Or we've been playing 4-3-3 with Coutinho on the left with a midfield 3. When he's been CM he's definitely been the most attacking CAM more a number 10 than a box to box role. Was expecting him to be used more box to box but hasn't really happened. Maybe the odd game or odd patch here and there in games.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Yeah, we've already reverted to playing 442, 424, 4222 systems or whatever else you want to call it some I'm not sure about the idea that we have to change everything completely to fit Mahrez in.

Last edited:

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
He really hasn't. We've been playing a 4-2-4 With our "fab four" being very much a forward quartet. Wijnaldum, Milner, Can and Henderson has been our CM base of two. Or we've been playing 4-3-3 with Coutinho on the left with a midfield 3. When he's been CM he's definitely been the most attacking CAM more a number 10 than a box to box role. Was expecting him to be used more box to box but hasn't really happened. Maybe the odd game or odd patch here and there in games.
What's that got to do with Mahrez though? Its not like Riyad is going to be a like for like replacement and slot into Coutinho's spot in midfield. Mahrez plays on the opposite side of the pitch and while he does some similar things it still means a shakeup for everyone else. Are we going to push Salah out to the left side? Drop Bobby to midfield and push Mo up front and really play like Leicester? (Firmino = Okasaki, Salah = Vardy, Solanke = Slimani, Ox = Albrighton, Mane = Gray) I would hate that copying some mid-table club for their style of play as effective as it was a few years ago.

Koon

Coutinho has been playing the majority of his games (9) as CM and another (5) as left winger. Him playing as winger works pretty well also because we have Salah running in the other wing, so it works very well with Coutinho's passing and vision. Sometimes Salah's positioning os so offensive that he is even forward in the pitch than Firmino overall. But how would you fit Salah and Mahrez, two right wingers? There's no way.

I agree that Coutinho is the most offensive CM and eventually he ends up as number 10, but that happens only because he is the player who's able to drive the ball forward, just like Iniesta and build from behind. Iniesta is not an AMC, but he almost always ends up in that position. That's why Coutinho is able to play as CM and Mahrez can't. It's not Mahrez positioning or role on the pitch. That's what people don't understand, imo.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Coutinho has been playing the majority of his games (9) as CM and another (5) as left winger. Him playing as winger works pretty well also because we have Salah running in the other wing, so it works very well with Coutinho's passing and vision. Sometimes Salah's positioning os so offensive that he is even forward in the pitch than Firmino overall. But how would you fit Salah and Mahrez, two right wingers? There's no way.

I agree that Coutinho is the most offensive CM and eventually he ends up as number 10, but that happens only because he is the player who's able to drive the ball forward, just like Iniesta and build from behind. Iniesta is not an AMC, but he almost always ends up in that position. That's why Coutinho is able to play as CM and Mahrez can't. It's not Mahrez positioning or role on the pitch. That's what people don't understand, imo.
He litterally started playing CM the end of last season, and this. It's not his natural position, heck even Barca see him as a wide forward and not ready to take over from Iniesta yet.

We need rotation for Mane and Salah (of a similar quality) we have Lallana providing the creativity from midfield until Keita arrives.

As ILLOK says, think outside the box and trust Klopp.

patrickswalle

Am realy wondering though the way we seem to recruit the best african player starting with matip, mane, salah keita, and now rumours about mahrez soon we will look like the beat africa starting elevenlollol. Anyway back to the player I realy like him what concern me is he is realy used on the right flank and he is kind of lazy in pressing

Koon

He litterally started playing CM the end of last season, and this. It's not his natural position, heck even Barca see him as a wide forward and not ready to take over from Iniesta yet.

We need rotation for Mane and Salah (of a similar quality) we have Lallana providing the creativity from midfield until Keita arrives.

As ILLOK says, think outside the box and trust Klopp.
Well, I'd say right now left winger and CM are both his natural positions. This has been his best season playing as CM, so why wouldn't be his natural position?

Are you sure Barça are seeing him as a forward? Dembele, Suarez and Messi. All the Barcelona fans I talk about are saying he will be the player to give Iniesta a rest. I think he will play in both positions, just like he does here.

Busquets, Paulinho and Coutinho; Messi, Dembelé and Suarez. It makes sense, right?

If we really need rotation, it should be for left wing, not right. Salah, Mané and Chamberlain are able to play there. When Coutinho is out, we will have only Mané and Chamberlain for the left wing. So Lemar would be the player, not Mahrez. We would have a lot of players able to perform as RW and only two as LW.

Would you trust 6 months relying on Lallana? Will we be able to reach top 4? What if he's injured? The game vs Everton he was not good at all, imo.

I trust Klopp, man, and that's why I think we are not looking for Mahrez as a replacement. IMO, Klopp will only look for pacey wingers and creative midfielders + versatile players. Mahrez doesn't fit, since he can only perform as RW and we already have 3 players in that position.

RedBadger1848

Badger...badger...badger...
Am realy wondering though the way we seem to recruit the best african player starting with matip, mane, salah keita, and now rumours about mahrez soon we will look like the beat africa starting elevenlollol. Anyway back to the player I realy like him what concern me is he is realy used on the right flank and he is kind of lazy in pressing
Klopp will fix him :well done:

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
If we get this guy, all we need now is a Mascherano. The guy that hound players, bully the fuck out of them and win the ball back. Next we put Keita and this Mascherano fella in midfield, play the front 4 on their own, interchanging as they feel like. I am telling you, those 4 will tear defence apart while we are super secure at the back, now that we have signed someone like Hyypia who so happened to wear his number.

Worry about Barcelona and Real Madrid come calling next year..... just go win us trophies this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.