Riyad Mahrez (RW) Leicester City

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Are you sure Barça are seeing him as a forward? Dembele, Suarez and Messi. All the Barcelona fans I talk about are saying he will be the player to give Iniesta a rest. I think he will play in both positions, just like he does here.

Busquets, Paulinho and Coutinho; Messi, Dembelé and Suarez. It makes sense, right?

If we really need rotation, it should be for left wing, not right. Salah, Mané and Chamberlain are able to play there. When Coutinho is out, we will have only Mané and Chamberlain for the left wing. So Lemar would be the player, not Mahrez. We would have a lot of players able to perform as RW and only two as LW.

Would you trust 6 months relying on Lallana? Will we be able to reach top 4? What if he's injured? The game vs Everton he was not good at all, imo.

I trust Klopp, man, and that's why I think we are not looking for Mahrez as a replacement. IMO, Klopp will only look for pacey wingers and creative midfielders + versatile players. Mahrez doesn't fit, since he can only perform as RW and we already have 3 players in that position.
What are you on about? What do you think would happen if Salah or Mahrez played on the left? Would they lose all their ability to play football?

That's some BALDERDASH.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
If we get this guy, all we need now is a Mascherano. The guy that hound players, bully the fuck out of them and win the ball back. Next we put Keita and this Mascherano fella in midfield, play the front 4 on their own, interchanging as they feel like. I am telling you, those 4 will tear defence apart while we are super secure at the back, now that we have signed someone like Hyypia who so happened to wear his number.

Worry about Barcelona and Real Madrid come calling next year..... just go win us trophies this year.
Fabinho would do me.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
What are you on about? What do you think would happen if Salah or Mahrez played on the left? Would they lose all their ability to play football?

That's some BALDERDASH.
Nah, I just think about tactics. People think about players and think that it's just a matter of putting them on the field and that's it, no matter what role they are more used to and how they would fit in the team. It doesn't work like that.

It's the same about Goretzka/Keita. Very good players. Can they both play 4-2-3-1, withouth a DM behind them? No, but the idea of having those two is enough for some people. It's the same about Mahrez. Good player? Yep. Would he fit in a team with Salah? Good, but not so good.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Nah, I just think about tactics. People think about players and think that it's just a matter of putting them on the field and that's it, no matter what role they are more used to and how they would fit in the team. It doesn't work like that.
That's not the case at all. What you're doing is refusing to accept the idea that good players can adapt to different positions, just because you haven't actually seen them do it yet.

The idea that Mahrez and Salah are only *insert appropriate abbreviation here* and can't play elsewhere is a non-starter for me.

We had this discussion on here when Salah signed...where does he play? Mane is the right winger, we should sign a left winger instead!!! Thankfully such rigid, narrow minded thinking was ignored by the people in charge.

Koon

That's not the case at all. What you're doing is refusing to accept the idea that good players can adapt to different positions, just because you haven't actually seen them do it yet.

The idea that Mahrez and Salah are only *insert appropriate abbreviation here* and can't play elsewhere is a non-starter for me.

We had this discussion on here when Salah signed...where does he play? Mane is the right winger, we should sign a left winger instead!!! Thankfully such rigid, narrow minded thinking was ignored by the people in charge.
Actually, I said there's a way they can play together, 4-4-2. That's fine. But that's the only way they fit, imo, and that's a problem for Klopp since his front players are almost always very versatile (and I don't think Mahrez is versatile). People don't think about, for example the effects of having Salah as a winger when we play 4-2-3-1 instead of 4-3-3 or 4-4-2. Further from the opposition box, less space to counter-attack, more distance to run/cover and more tired he will get.

About Mané, I always thought his best position should be as LW, there's no problem at all having him and Salah, although I must say I didn't realise Salah could become almost a poacher.

Wouldn't it be better, for example, if we were able to buy a player such as Kovacic/Lemar? Wouldn't it fit our team better? A creative CM and a pacey LW who's also might be able to play as CM since he is only 22 and he already has the tools to perform in that position? It's a no brainer. Mahrez is a good player, it's just that there are others who fit better.

James H

"One word: Thundercougarfalconbird"

It's the same about Goretzka/Keita. Very good players. Can they both play 4-2-3-1, withouth a DM behind them? No, but the idea of having those two is enough for some people. It's the same about Mahrez. Good player? Yep. Would he fit in a team with Salah? Good, but not so good.
Your not thinking of tactics at all really, Coutinho was and is a LW or CM in name only, on the LW he ventured in field, from CM he is very advanced, and that can only happen because of players behind holding their positions, I agree with the people saying he plays more as an AM, and he does it in both positions. A lot of the games last year we struggled to win versus defensive teams we were very narrow due to coutinho coming infield and all width was reliant on milner on the left.

Your view of players "positions" is too narrow, your acting as if they can only play certain roles and those roles are defined by their title I.e. CM, but tactics as you are saying you're looking at are not that simple or rigid.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets

And what you are refusing to do is accept other peoples opinions and view points on the subject.

Not everyone rates Mahrez as highly as you obviously do and because other clubs have paid stupid money for average players doesn't mean we should follow suit. Sigurddson for 50 mil being a glowing example the guys is worth probably half that and it was just a bit of desperation and Swansea playing a blinder that got them that fee but he isn't worth that money and neither is Mahrez.

Appreciate it is a crazy market, hence why I said I think he is worth 30/35 but Leicester will want 50/60 but I sincerely hope we don't pay that for him. TBH I am really surprised how much love the guy is getting here.

And for the record I think Lukaku, Morata and LaCazette are all vastly superior players to Mahrez.

Koon

Your not thinking of tactics at all really, Coutinho was and is a LW or CM in name only, on the LW he ventured in field, from CM he is very advanced, and that can only happen because of players behind holding their positions, I agree with the people saying he plays more as an AM, and he does it in both positions. A lot of the games last year we struggled to win versus defensive teams we were very narrow due to coutinho coming infield and all width was reliant on milner on the left.

Your view of players "positions" is too narrow, your acting as if they can only play certain roles and those roles are defined by their title I.e. CM, but tactics as you are saying you're looking at are not that simple or rigid.
Please, take a look at this:

Coutinho plays as CM, he is not a 10 for a few months already (the ones who play as 10 are Lallana and Chamberlain). As I said, it's all about positioning. Coutinho is a CM. His starting position is as CM and he is the one who's able to break lines and send dead balls. He is our creator from the middle of the pitch, sometimes even deeper.

With his dribble and direct play, Coutinho is able to drive the ball to the opposition box.

Now, how about Mahrez? We would have a right winger playing as AMC and we still would have 2 huge problems:

1 - there's nobody creative enough in our central midfield. We would have Can/Hendo and Gini/Milner and none of them are good enough or creative enough.

2 - Playing 4-2-3-1 instead of 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 would leave Salah too far away from the opposition box. Salah's best position is between the left back and CB. He is a beast out there. If you play 4-2-3-1, you will defend 4-4-1-1 and Salah will be a winger, with Mahrez behind Firmino. It's not good because Salah would be too far away from the box and would be less effective.

Our biggest problem this season is the lack of creativity, that's why Klopp moved Coutinho to CM and Coutinho did beatufully. It's very, very different playing Mahrez.

We will be able to play 4-2-3-1 next season because we will have a creative player as CM (Keita), so things will sort out, but right now, this season, I don't think it would be good having Mahrez unless we play 4-4-2 and keep Salah upfront.

We have a problem, we have to deal with it. Our problem in case Coutinho is out is the lack of creativity and forward passes in our midfield. Why should we buy a winger and still have creativity problems in the midfield? It doesn't make sense at all.
Coutinho has been playing the majority of his games (9) as CM and another (5) as left winger. Him playing as winger works pretty well also because we have Salah running in the other wing, so it works very well with Coutinho's passing and vision. Sometimes Salah's positioning os so offensive that he is even forward in the pitch than Firmino overall. But how would you fit Salah and Mahrez, two right wingers? There's no way.

I agree that Coutinho is the most offensive CM and eventually he ends up as number 10, but that happens only because he is the player who's able to drive the ball forward, just like Iniesta and build from behind. Iniesta is not an AMC, but he almost always ends up in that position. That's why Coutinho is able to play as CM and Mahrez can't. It's not Mahrez positioning or role on the pitch. That's what people don't understand, imo.
The only players who have more assists than Mahrez this season all play for City.

Thought I'd add that there for those who are worried about losing creativity.
Creativity coming from the wing, my friend. The same wing Salah plays.

If there's a single word I said about Mahrez being a bad player, please tell me. My english is absolutely horrible, I can barely speak (but don't you worry, I understand everything).

James H

Sigurddson for 50 mil being a glowing example the guys is worth probably half that and it was just a bit of desperation and Swansea playing a blinder that got them that fee but he isn't worth that money
I think Swansea fans would disagree given how their season is going. He was worth that much to them.
And for the record I think Lukaku, Morata and LaCazette are all vastly superior players to Mahrez.
All strikers and as such not immediately comparable!? :eh?:

Molby39

And what you are refusing to do is accept other peoples opinions and view points on the subject.

Not everyone rates Mahrez as highly as you obviously do and because other clubs have paid stupid money for average players doesn't mean we should follow suit. Sigurddson for 50 mil being a glowing example the guys is worth probably half that and it was just a bit of desperation and Swansea playing a blinder that got them that fee but he isn't worth that money and neither is Mahrez.

Appreciate it is a crazy market, hence why I said I think he is worth 30/35 but Leicester will want 50/60 but I sincerely hope we don't pay that for him. TBH I am really surprised how much love the guy is getting here.

We paid £35mil for Oxlade Chamberlain in the last year of his contract and £75 mil for VVD. So I think it’s fair for Leicester to expect somewhere between those values for him.

Also I rate Mahrez a lot more than Lukaku and Morata

James H

Please, take a look at this:

Creativity coming from the wing, my friend. The same wing Salah plays.

If there's a single word I said about Mahrez being a bad player, please tell me. My english is absolutely horrible, I can barely speak (but don't you worry, I understand everything).
You think I didn't read them already? I never said you said he was a bad player :eh?: actually I don't think I mentioned Mahrez at all. :think:
I was pointing out your thoughts on positions are too rigid, you're accusing others of thinking you can plonk players on a pitch and it'll be fine. But you're guilty of the exact opposite, you're behaving as if they have no ability to adapt to new positions, as if milner played LB his entire life.

Koon

You think I didn't read them already? I never said you said he was a bad player :eh?: actually I don't think I mentioned Mahrez at all. :think:
I was pointing out your thoughts on positions are too rigid, you're accusing others of thinking you can plonk players on a pitch and it'll be fine. But you're guilty of the exact opposite, you're behaving as if they have no ability to adapt to new positions, as if milner played LB his entire life.
Oh, I give up. There's nothing more I can add to this discussion, I'll let the topic flow again.

Come, Mr.

auzziez

Would take Mahrez anyday. The only problem I see is he seems to be too much left footed for a position where Salah has been doing really great and we have Mane n Ox for backup. If Mane/Ox perform better on the left and assuming Lemar comes in to nail down the left side of midfield, Mahrez would be a no brainer. Replace Can with someone who can break down the play, Kieta coming soon, if we can replace Gini next summer with a more effective box to box midfielder, we will have one hell of a squad next season. Any improvement in the goalkeeping department would be an icing on the cake.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
I think Swansea fans would disagree given how their season is going. He was worth that much to them.

All strikers and as such not immediately comparable!? :eh?:
He is one player and whilst ok he isnt going to single handedly keep Swansea up. The issue is they let both Llorente and Sigurdson go and only got Bony in. They didnt fully reinvest the fees they got and have suffered this season as a result.

And I didnt raise those names, they where put to me as a comparison. One I dont agree with.

We paid £35mil for Oxlade Chamberlain in the last year of his contract and £75 mil for VVD. So I think it’s fair for Leicester to expect somewhere between those values for him.

Also I rate Mahrez a lot more than Lukaku and Morata
We got ripped off blind for Ox 35 mil in the last year of his deal for a player with 11 goals in 150 odd appearances playing in attacking roles. Terrible business really when you see Barkley a player with twice as many goals in a similar amount of games go to Chelsea for 15 mil.

Van Dijk is one of the most sort after defenders in the world. He could have gone to any big club really, Mahrez is nowhere near that sort after.

Your free to rate any player as you see fit but there is a reason Top clubs have paid massive fees for both Lukaku and Morata and Mahrez is still playing for Leicester.

For the record I dont think he is a rubbish player but I think some on here are overrating him.

James H

He is one player and whilst ok he isnt going to single handedly keep Swansea up. The issue is they let both Llorente and Sigurdson go and only got Bony in. They didnt fully reinvest the fees they got and have suffered this season as a result.

And I didnt raise those names, they where put to me as a comparison. One I dont agree with.
Fair enough didn't see the comparison put to you apologies for jumping the gun.

One player in a relegation battle can make a difference, Swansea's midfield is a far better unit with sigurdsson than without, his deadball abilities can bring assists and goals and he scores a few from open play. Dont get me wrong I don't think he's worth 50m but given the choice I think most swans fans would take the player over the money.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
When we were linked to Wijnaldum many wondered why, didn't seem decent enough a goal threat for the wing or attacking midfield and we needed a box to box CM, a role he either hadn't played or only rarely, a game here or there in Holland. Came in had a fantastic season.

When Klopp arrived Firmino was playing LW and CAM. Far too slow at LW and a few flashes at CAM he was in danger of being a flop. Klopp moved him to false 9/real 9 and although the transition hasn't been constant improvement the player we have now is dramatically better than what we had.

Klopp failed to Bring in a LB and everyone was worried. He used Milner there, who I don't think had ever played FB before and should have been on RB if he did, only for James to fill in for a season very well, at one point looking best LB in the League.

We had one of the best RW players around last season with Mane playing fantastic and being far better under Klopp than many would have even guessed. We go for a winger but instead of a LW we get Salah another RW. Lot of humming and arring over whether one would play central or if Salah could cope on LW. Salah played RW even better than Mane who moved to LW and is doing good enough improving us as a side.

Klopp is a tactical genius but more than that he can spot attributes in players skill sets and know what he can get out of them in ways others hadn't thought of or rarely tried. If he is looking at Mahrez as a back up option to Lemar or even as a double signing with Lemar I'm not concerned about which positions players are being used in now here or ones we might buy from elsewhere. Klopp knows what he's doing.

I'm not ecstatic over the idea of Mahrez but it's hard to argue he doesn't have great skill and he contributes a lot of goals and assists for a team that it can't be that easy to score and assist for. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he did much better here than there Salah and Mane style.

If I were to take a guess on use it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Mahrez used on the left by Klopp. Salah join Firmino with Mane mobbing back to the right or possibly Mane playing central behind Firmino and Salah stay on the right. There's a lot of options and only a fool would pre judge Klopps use of a player based on other managers use of that player.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
We got ripped off blind for Ox 35 mil in the last year of his deal for a player with 11 goals in 150 odd appearances playing in attacking roles. Terrible business really when you see Barkley a player with twice as many goals in a similar amount of games go to Chelsea for 15 mil.
Ignore the fact Chelsea were willing to pay the same amount for Barkley in the summer but he jibbed them off :well done:

Chamberlain is proving to be a more than handy squad player and is showing he is able to contribute more than he did at Arsenal. It wasn't great value but terrible business? No, terrible business is buying shite players who you can't use (Borini, Balotelli, Markovic etc).

Toro

Florida Red
I like him, but does he have the work rate Klopp demands? That's my question.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
We had one of the best RW players around last season with Mane playing fantastic and being far better under Klopp than many would have even guessed. We go for a winger but instead of a LW we get Salah another RW. Lot of humming and arring over whether one would play central or if Salah could cope on LW. Salah played RW even better than Mane who moved to LW and is doing good enough improving us as a side.
What? Everyone and their dog knows that Mane played LWF/LW at Southampton came here and Coutinho was playing there so switched to the right side so he had the experience of playing on the left unlike Mahrez.
See people are forgetting that Riyad is a left footed right winger who likes to cut inside not go outside and cross the ball. We need the same but on the opposite side of the pitch, someone that plays on the left and cuts inside or stays outside but can cross the ball. Mahrez is not the man for that, can he do it? Sure probably he's skilled enough but why buy a square peg to fit into a round whole? Everyone knows he's most comfortable playing on the right, that can not be argued. Salah plays best on the right or down the middle, that can not be argued. Firmino plays best down the middle as the False 9 or as a #10, that can not be argued. Mane can play anywhere on the front 3 positions and in behind the CF, that can not be argued. Ox, regardless of where he wants to play, is best on the right side of the pitch be it as a winger/ forward or central midfielder, that can maybe be argued. Maybe. So with all that why get another who's best position is also on the right side of the pitch? Makes no sense at all to me only if we switch to the 4-4-2 but then we'd lack quality depth in the attacking part of the pitch since we'd be playing all our best players with only Ox serving as backup.

No one is saying that Mahrez is a bad player, he is clearly a quality one with maybe a few attitude problems but I'm sure Klopp would whip him into shape. Its just that he's not a good fit for our squad right now. In the summer maybe when we can switch formation and have a whole pre-season to work on it but we are in mid-season and not time to change the formation to suit Mahrez. Nevermind that he's 26yrs old and NOT versatile and playing for a PL club meaning we'll have to pay over the odds for them to let him go midseason.

If he's someone that Klopp has targeted for ages and has plans to switch to the 4-4-2/4-2-2-2 then I can understand but even that is risky to do with no real time to train. Its not like Mahrez is going to solve our problems in the middle of he park when it comes to creating chances. Heck we also have a problem on the defensive side also not going to be helped by getting Mahrez.

Noo Noo

This one has surfaced again it seems.

It feels a bit of a second best option to me BUT I've been completely wrong about Klopp's transfer choices in the past so I'll not say any more on the matter.

Although it would be hard going for Leicester to sell one of their main stays at this stage of the season. No different to us and Coutinho I guess

[email protected]

I like him, but does he have the work rate Klopp demands? That's my question.
Leicester had one of the lowest possession percentages in the year that they won it. They ran, hassled and hit on the counter very often. That whole set up didn't lend itself to passengers on the work rate side. I don't believe his work rate will be an issue for us. After all, many were suggesting that Salah wouldn't be great fit for the same reason.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
@MarlboroMan the year before we signed Mane he played 21 times on the right, 16 times in the middle and only 6 times on the left. Seasons before that He played more on the left but the seasons form we bought him on and his first season with us he was a right winger and he'd been amazing in that position for us so as you've said about others in your post "that can not be argued"! But Klopp switched him anyway. Maybe to a little detriment to Mane but the bonus of adding Salah has been amazing.

James H

What? Everyone and their dog knows that Mane played LWF/LW at Southampton came here and Coutinho was playing there so switched to the right side so he had the experience of playing on the left unlike Mahrez.
See people are forgetting that Riyad is a left footed right winger who likes to cut inside not go outside and cross the ball. We need the same but on the opposite side of the pitch, someone that plays on the left and cuts inside or stays outside but can cross the ball. Mahrez is not the man for that, can he do it? Sure probably he's skilled enough but why buy a square peg to fit into a round whole? Everyone knows he's most comfortable playing on the right, that can not be argued. Salah plays best on the right or down the middle, that can not be argued. Firmino plays best down the middle as the False 9 or as a #10, that can not be argued. Mane can play anywhere on the front 3 positions and in behind the CF, that can not be argued. Ox, regardless of where he wants to play, is best on the right side of the pitch be it as a winger/ forward or central midfielder, that can maybe be argued. Maybe. So with all that why get another who's best position is also on the right side of the pitch? Makes no sense at all to me only if we switch to the 4-4-2 but then we'd lack quality depth in the attacking part of the pitch since we'd be playing all our best players with only Ox serving as backup.

No one is saying that Mahrez is a bad player, he is clearly a quality one with maybe a few attitude problems but I'm sure Klopp would whip him into shape. Its just that he's not a good fit for our squad right now. In the summer maybe when we can switch formation and have a whole pre-season to work on it but we are in mid-season and not time to change the formation to suit Mahrez. Nevermind that he's 26yrs old and NOT versatile and playing for a PL club meaning we'll have to pay over the odds for them to let him go midseason.

If he's someone that Klopp has targeted for ages and has plans to switch to the 4-4-2/4-2-2-2 then I can understand but even that is risky to do with no real time to train. Its not like Mahrez is going to solve our problems in the middle of he park when it comes to creating chances. Heck we also have a problem on the defensive side also not going to be helped by getting Mahrez.
Why is there a NEED to change formation? I'm not overly pushed on this transfer but there are a few here jumping through hoops to make it seem like bad business. Mahrez is not so far removed from coutinho stylistically to assume he would never work in CM the same way coutinho did.

Hoosier Red Fan

True Believer
When we were linked to Wijnaldum many wondered why, didn't seem decent enough a goal threat for the wing or attacking midfield and we needed a box to box CM, a role he either hadn't played or only rarely, a game here or there in Holland. Came in had a fantastic season.

When Klopp arrived Firmino was playing LW and CAM. Far too slow at LW and a few flashes at CAM he was in danger of being a flop. Klopp moved him to false 9/real 9 and although the transition hasn't been constant improvement the player we have now is dramatically better than what we had.

Klopp failed to Bring in a LB and everyone was worried. He used Milner there, who I don't think had ever played FB before and should have been on RB if he did, only for James to fill in for a season very well, at one point looking best LB in the League.

Klopp is a tactical genius but more than that he can spot attributes in players skill sets and know what he can get out of them in ways others hadn't thought of or rarely tried. If he is looking at Mahrez as a back up option to Lemar or even as a double signing with Lemar I'm not concerned about which positions players are being used in now here or ones we might buy from elsewhere. Klopp knows what he's doing.

I'm not ecstatic over the idea of Mahrez but it's hard to argue he doesn't have great skill and he contributes a lot of goals and assists for a team that it can't be that easy to score and assist for. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he did much better here than there Salah and Mane style.

If I were to take a guess on use it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Mahrez used on the left by Klopp. Salah join Firmino with Mane mobbing back to the right or possibly Mane playing central behind Firmino and Salah stay on the right. There's a lot of options and only a fool would pre judge Klopps use of a player based on other managers use of that player.
This.

If Klopp is interested in Mahrez, that's good enough for me. I think the player has quality (he looked a worldbeater during LC's championship run), but has been unhappy with his situation since Kante left. The attitude issue worries me slightly, but then again, Klopp is an expert judge of character and desire, as well as a magnificent motivator, so I'd expect that to resolve itself immediately.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Ignore the fact Chelsea were willing to pay the same amount for Barkley in the summer but he jibbed them off :well done:

Chamberlain is proving to be a more than handy squad player and is showing he is able to contribute more than he did at Arsenal. It wasn't great value but terrible business? No, terrible business is buying shite players who you can't use (Borini, Balotelli, Markovic etc).
The chavs were prepared to pay the same for Ox, he gibbed them for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.