• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Season Comparison: 2017/18 v 2018/2019

Fowler's Left Peg

Here we go Guys and Gals,

We have made it to the half way point of the season and not a 'L' in sight, remarkable. Like other have said its a shame we are not further clear and it does always feel like when we have these season there is someone else having a best ever season too, all I can take from that is if we do get over the line at the end it will be even more of an achievement.

Getting to the end of the Man City game seems to be the next milestone, if we can get through the next 3 games and still be at top we are in a great position. It all starts to look good after Everton Away. The run in from that point is all teams we are good enough to beat and big boys at Home. If we are top after game week 29 I might start dreaming.

SBYM

If you have something else to do, go and do it...
Ad-free Member
Here we go Guys and Gals,

We have made it to the half way point of the season and not a 'L' in sight, remarkable. Like other have said its a shame we are not further clear and it does always feel like when we have these season there is someone else having a best ever season too, all I can take from that is if we do get over the line at the end it will be even more of an achievement.

Getting to the end of the Man City game seems to be the next milestone, if we can get through the next 3 games and still be at top we are in a great position. It all starts to look good after Everton Away. The run in from that point is all teams we are good enough to beat and big boys at Home. If we are top after game week 29 I might start dreaming.

God's work, I tells ya...

Merry Christmas, FLG.

Best thread on TIA, this.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
I tell you, @Fowler's Left Peg is a mon-fri 9 to 5 man. Old school.

Anyway, rolling 38 games:

LFC W27 D8 L3 GD60 Points 89
Man City W29 D5 L4 GD71 Points 92

We are getting closer to City, but they are still ahead. If we win the next 3 games, we will be at least 7 points clear of City. We also have more games at anfield - thus far we have played 8 at home, 10 away - and we haven't lost at anfield since April 2017, so the power of anfield has a huge part to play.

We just need to kick on, but this is so beautiful.

Merry Xmas.

Fowler's Left Peg

I tell you, @Fowler's Left Peg is a mon-fri 9 to 5 man. Old school.

Anyway, rolling 38 games:

LFC W27 D8 L3 GD60 Points 89
Man City W29 D5 L4 GD71 Points 92

We are getting closer to City, but they are still ahead. If we win the next 3 games, we will be at least 7 points clear of City. We also have more games at anfield - thus far we have played 8 at home, 10 away - and we haven't lost at anfield since April 2017, so the power of anfield has a huge part to play.

We just need to kick on, but this is so beautiful.

Merry Xmas.

8:30-5 actually, I'm not part time

Fowler's Left Peg

Looking ahead to our run in, last 4 games in particular Cardiff, Huddersfield, Newcastle and Wolves.

We could do with Cardiff and Huddersfield going into free fall and already being confirmed as relegated by the time these games arrive. Newcastle already being confirmed as staying up and Wolves being unable to qualify for Europa.

If we are top and the above happens we could be playing 4 teams already on the beach.

On the flip side of it we could be playing 3 teams fighting for survival and 1 team pushing for European football.

Certainly worth keeping tabs on these team's progress as these fixtures could be where the title is won or lost.

Show me the Mane

If we can win the next two and go into the City game at least 4 points clear it could make things interesting. It will be like the Champions League game of last season with them pushing for the win, maybe they will over commit and leave gaps for us to counter attack. Anyway I'm thinking to far forward lets get the next two greens 1st.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Next three games are pivotal, I reckon. In reality we will probably drop some points which may mean even Spurs come into the mix. I haven't ruled them out. If we won all 3 we would have an air of invincibility about us, like City last season. Most neutrals at that point would assume we will win the title quite easily, although I will still be shitting bricks from game to game.

[email protected]

So we currently scoring more goals than last year, have conceded 30% compared to this time last year, while not hitting top gear.
Not to mention Mo doesn't smile anymore and you know that weird tick he gets in his upper left earlobe that is visible when he doesn't smile after he scores? Every pundit worth his salt knows it for a clear indicator that he's off in Jan.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
But remember the champions league run had an effect on our league performances - remember Everton, Stoke, West Brom etc...
Uhm.... I think I am describing top-gear, those matches showed how our top-gear looks like. No? I would like to see us in the finals again this season....

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
You have seen our top gear.... QFinals of Champs League. Remember those two matches? Now that's top gear.....
I meant this year (season), we haven't hit the "top gear" form that we saw last year. In other words, it seems like we have ground out results instead of blowing opponents away.
Its just seems so strange that we look at last season, compare our performances, and say that this season we haven't hit top gear, yet here we are, top of the league by 4 points, having scored more goals, conceded less, and yet to hit top gear. Hard for me explain my thoughts in mere words.

[email protected]

I meant this year (season), we haven't hit the "top gear" form that we saw last year. In other words, it seems like we have ground out results instead of blowing opponents away.
Its just seems so strange that we look at last season, compare our performances, and say that this season we haven't hit top gear, yet here we are, top of the league by 4 points, having scored more goals, conceded less, and yet to hit top gear. Hard for me explain my thoughts in mere words.
Since we on the 'top gear' thing, I think a car analogy is apt. I think our 'top gear' has changed somewhat. Think sports car kitted out to the max and Jeep Wrangler Rubicon kitted out to the max. The sports car will get to the top of the mountain but will need a nice road to get there. A hairy, bumpy bit will cause havoc. The Wrangler would do it with no frills unlike the sports car but will get to the top even if the road suddenly disappears. I reckon we're the Wrangler this year; no unexpected bumps on the road to throw us off. We'll just find a way and ride over it somehow.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Since we on the 'top gear' thing, I think a car analogy is apt. I think our 'top gear' has changed somewhat. Think sports car kitted out to the max and Jeep Wrangler Rubicon kitted out to the max. The sports car will get to the top of the mountain but will need a nice road to get there. A hairy, bumpy bit will cause havoc. The Wrangler would do it with no frills unlike the sports car but will get to the top even if the road suddenly disappears. I reckon we're the Wrangler this year; no unexpected bumps on the road to throw us off. We'll just find a way and ride over it somehow.
We are much more reliable than Wrangler, I hope.... :)

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Haha. The old argument eh? Land Rover types are everywhere ;-). I am in the Jeep camp Ed. I own one, since 2012. Never had a problem. Taken me to places high and low :)
Toyota Land Cruiser would be my choice for luxury, rough it up and at the same time reliable. Ranger Rover is far from being the most reliable car and they are what Man City and Chelsea are supposed to be.

Commando

Ad-free Member
But remember the champions league run had an effect on our league performances - remember Everton, Stoke, West Brom etc...
We didn’t have the squad to go full strength in two comps last year. Hence those results. I feel we’ve got a much better squad to cope this year. The way our new signings are fitting in boxes well for any fixture congestion later on.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Haha. The old argument eh? Land Rover types are everywhere ;-). I am in the Jeep camp Ed. I own one, since 2012. Never had a problem. Taken me to places high and low :)
Was thinking of going down the Rubicon route but pretty sure it's going to be something in the Land Rover range now. Still undecided as to what though.

Back to the analogy; I hope we haven't reached our peak.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Bit of Christmas day fun, seeing as it's cancelled for me.

Season 1989/1990 versus 2018/2019

How many of this lot would get a game on January 3rd?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46673800

I'm going for Hansen, Nicol, Molby, Whelan and Rush.

.....................Becker........................
Nicol...... Hansen...... VVD...... Robertson
..................Whelan.................
.......Molby........Widjanldum.....
....Salah........Rush.......Mane.....

Last edited:

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Bit of Christmas day fun, seeing as it's cancelled for me.

Season 1989/1990 versus 2018/2019

How many of this lot would get a game on January 3rd?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46673800

I'm going for Hansen, Nicol, Molby, Whelan and Rush.

.....................Becker........................
Nicol...... Hansen...... VVD...... Robertson
..................Whelan.................
.......Molby........Widjanldum.....
....Salah........Rush.......Mane.....
No Barnes?!

Mine would be

Becker
......Nicol.......Hansen....Van Dijk...Robertson
Whelan......Molby
Salah........Barnes........Mane
Rush​