Season Comparison: 2017/18 v 2018/2019

cynicaloldgit

Total Member
Alisson
Nicol Hansen VVD Robertson
Molby Whelan
Salah Beardsley Barnes
Rush

Subs: Grobbelaar, Ablett, Gomez, Milner, McMahon, Mané, Firmino.

That squad would win pretty much everything.

Last edited:

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Here's some fun fact. If we were to take the turn of 2018 results alone, we would have 91 points, with 86 goals scored and 22 conceded. Won 28, drew 7 and lost 3. Our losses came during our run at the Champs League knock out stage where players were more focused on those matches. We were undone by United away, Chelsea away and Swansea away. Spurs will have 88 points, and City will have 89. Spurs had a better 2nd half of the season while City had a dip after collecting 55 points in the first 19 matches without losing a match.

chelsea 71, arsenal 67, united, 71
So the 2018 table will look like this
1. Liverpool 91
2. Man City 89
3. Tot Spurs 88
4. Chelsea 71
5. Man Utd 71
6. Arsenal 67

Not too shabby, and I will take that table anytime of the day.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Here's some fun fact. If we were to take the turn of 2018 results alone, we would have 91 points, with 86 goals scored and 22 conceded. Won 28, drew 7 and lost 3. Our losses came during our run at the Champs League knock out stage where players were more focused on those matches. We were undone by United away, Chelsea away and Swansea away. Spurs will have 88 points, and City will have 89. Spurs had a better 2nd half of the season while City had a dip after collecting 55 points in the first 19 matches without losing a match.

chelsea 71, arsenal 67, united, 71
So the 2018 table will look like this
1. Liverpool 91
2. Man City 89
3. Tot Spurs 88
4. Chelsea 71
5. Man Utd 71
6. Arsenal 67

Not too shabby, and I will take that table anytime of the day.
That is ultimately a rolling 38 games which is a good indicator of how a team is performing. The season Leicester won the league actually started the momentum with around the last 8 games of the season before (with Nigel Pearson).

And so from a rolling 38 game persepective, this is the first time we are in the lead.

Just need to stay focused game by game, and you never know - it could be done with a few games to spare.

But it’s all just incredible. This Jurgen fella, he’s Allright!

RedSeven

On the one road
That is ultimately a rolling 38 games which is a good indicator of how a team is performing. The season Leicester won the league actually started the momentum with around the last 8 games of the season before (with Nigel Pearson).

And so from a rolling 38 game persepective, this is the first time we are in the lead.

Just need to stay focused game by game, and you never know - it could be done with a few games to spare.

But it’s all just incredible. This Jurgen fella, he’s Allright!
The same is true of our near wins in both 08/09 and 13/14 seasons.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
When was the last time we had a six point lead? I genuinely can't remember. Means nothing at this stage but it's good to have that cushion. 2013/14 we were 5 points clear with just 3 games to go (City were 6 behind but had a game in hand) and we still managed to lose it by 2 clear points so I'm taking nothing for granted. It would be horrible to go through something like that again.

It does feel different this season and this team is much better than that one but such a long way to go. Two massive games now coming up. 4 points from them would be great but it still might result in Spurs getting closer to us. That's how tight it is. We also have to assume that at some stage the team will have a dip either in form or luck or both and it's how we cope with it when it comes that'll define the season.

Alright Now

5 games ago we were 15 goals behind City on goal difference. We are now equal.

That 6+ point lead in the table the first time since November 2002.

Remarkable
In those 5 matches, City has had a GD of -1. We have gone +14. I had thought we would have largely closed the gap on the strength of our defense, but GF actually edged it (GF closed the GD by 8 while GA by 7). Worth mentioning that in that span of time, Divers LFC has matched our GD (fortunately they started well behind).

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
When was the last time we had a six point lead? I genuinely can't remember.
The only time we led after 19 matches played, half way through the season was 08/09. We led Chelsea by 1 solid point. United who eventually went on to win the league had 2 games in hand, with 35 points, while we had 42 and Chelsea with 41. In that 13/14 season that was raved about we were actually trailing 6 points behind Arsenal at the half way point. We didn't regain the lead till 32nd game played, where we led Chelsea by 2 points. Chelsea had a game in hand and the eventual winner trailing 4 points behind had 2 games in hand. We then led the pack while Chelsea started to fall behind a little. After 36 games played we led Chelsea by 2 points while City with one game in hand still trailing by 4. City played two games and won both while we drew ours against Palace. That's the end of our journey. At 37 matches played, we now trail City by 2. So we have never had that sort of gap in the Premier League era.

Limiescouse

It does feel different this season and this team is much better than that one but such a long way to go.
The biggest difference I sense now is that the 1-0 lead doesnt feel remotely precarious anymore. During the game yesterday, the commentator for the US feed said that Liverpool were "desperate for that second goal". And I just thought "what bollocks". Not only does it no longer feel like we need a second to help us protect the lead, but even if we concede one to peg us back, as against United, it still feels like the most likely response is we just go and retake the lead.

[email protected]

The biggest difference I sense now is that the 1-0 lead doesnt feel remotely precarious anymore. During the game yesterday, the commentator for the US feed said that Liverpool were "desperate for that second goal". And I just thought "what bollocks". Not only does it no longer feel like we need a second to help us protect the lead, but even if we concede one to peg us back, as against United, it still feels like the most likely response is we just go and retake the lead.
Great POST!Cheers

[email protected]

I meant this year (season), we haven't hit the "top gear" form that we saw last year. In other words, it seems like we have ground out results instead of blowing opponents away.
Its just seems so strange that we look at last season, compare our performances, and say that this season we haven't hit top gear, yet here we are, top of the league by 4 points, having scored more goals, conceded less, and yet to hit top gear. Hard for me explain my thoughts in mere words.
We ve changed the gametactics we re by far more resolute in Defence and attackwise decisive in qualitydifference. We cannot compere our last year with this one and having a 6 Points to the goods halfway of the Season with a seasonrecord in conceading the less goals in the leage speaks for itself imo. I think the most Teams now know very well indeed what it takes to break us down and when the likes of pep start parking the bus against us…...do we really need that socalled second gear??!!

Limiescouse

We've not had Bovac this year either, a lot of fuss made at the end of last year when he departed, never mentioned these days, amazing what a 16-3-0 PL run does for ones memory.
His thread has had plenty of activity this season of posts complaining about how much we clearly miss him because of our "poor form".

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Rafa's defensively structured 2009 team multiplied by Rodger's attack minded 2014 team = Klopp's 2018 balanced team?
Top goalscorers in the league (77), 22 goals scored in the CL including 5 against Madrid and 5 against Chelsea. Over 100 goals scored in all comps.

It was a very nicely balanced side, it just lacked the depth in the squad. All those goals despite Torres making only 20 league starts and 4 sub appearances.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Didn't know where to ask this, but when was the last time we had 8 league wins in a row? Not undefeated, but wins. What were our top win streaks in let's say the PL era (or even going back?)?

sms1986

Limiescouse

Didn't know where to ask this, but when was the last time we had 8 league wins in a row? Not undefeated, but wins. What were our top win streaks in let's say the PL era (or even going back?)?
13-14 we won 10 or 11 in a row in between the Kolo nightmare pass and the Chelsea game. That was a run that includes comprehensive wins over Spurs and Utd and a win against City

Limiescouse

For the above, see also going 1 down at home. There was never a second of doubt that we would just revert straight back to dominating the game and be the most likely to score the second goal, and the third (and 4th and 5th).

Someone else made the point earlier that Im sure most of my generation can relate to, that the lack of titles since the 80s has hurt so much that its almost been painful to be in a real title challenge. Like it generated so much anxiety because it meant so much to get over the line. Things may change as we get into Spring, or if we lose a couple, but right now it just doesnt feel that way. It just all feels so routine.

Away match against a good Wolves side - no problem
Utd at home - 3 points
Resurgent Arsenal - there's a walloping

And none ever really in that much doubt.