Season Comparison: 2017/18 v 2018/2019

PeachesEnRegalia

We. Shall. Not. Be. Moved.
We did them 4-0 at Anfield last year, so little changes.
I know, but that updated table is like a goddamn sexy drug that I - and many others too, mind - can’t get fast enough after each result. The pinger I will have in my pants when the latest table drops would put Nelson’s Column to shame. Mandela, I mean.

Commando

We did them 4-0 at Anfield last year, so little changes.
I know, but that updated table is like a goddamn sexy drug that I - and many others too, mind - can’t get fast enough after each result. The pinger I will have in my pants when the latest table drops would put Nelson’s Column to shame. Mandela, I mean.
@PeachesEnRegalia cut @Mascot88 some slack. He's just too embarrassed to admit that he used all the green ink up putting Christmas trees on his home made Chrimbo cards.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
So far performance-wise it's followed the pattern of last season. Sketchy early form then gradually building up momentum and starting to peak from November/December onwards. Last season the sketchy early form was punished because we couldn't defend. This season we can and were able to manage those games out. That's been the giant leap forward this season. Not having to play well to win.

Goals now starting to flow. 21 in the last 6. Sounds mad but the only weakness I would say we have right now is that we're not always clinical enough in front of goal. I think Arsenal, Newcastle and especially United got off lightly given the number of chances we had.

Next 5 after City look very winnable. Just emphasises how important it is for City that they win tomorrow. Starts to look really promising if we can stop them.

Fowler's Left Peg

So far performance-wise it's followed the pattern of last season. Sketchy early form then gradually building up momentum and starting to peak from November/December onwards. Last season the sketchy early form was punished because we couldn't defend. This season we can and were able to manage those games out. That's been the giant leap forward this season. Not having to play well to win.

Goals now starting to flow. 21 in the last 6. Sounds mad but the only weakness I would say we have right now is that we're not always clinical enough in front of goal. I think Arsenal, Newcastle and especially United got off lightly given the number of chances we had.

Next 5 after City look very winnable. Just emphasises how important it is for City that they win tomorrow. Starts to look really promising if we can stop them.
Especially when City have Wolves Arsenal and Chelsea in the next 5 games after us. We don’t want to give them any momentum

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
We just Need to WIN the next 16 games starting with citeh today. That ll do!
I m asking myself why me wife doesn t look so sexy as this table does:think:
If you print off the league table and put it under your missus I reckon it could be the best sex ever.:well done:
But seriously though, don't let her know what you are up to or it could you end up with with double black eyes :shocked::shocked::shocked:

Anfield rd Dreamer

So last season we lost 5 times. 3 by one goal (one been converted into a win and another a draw with one still to come) and 1 by 3 goals (converted into a win). The final loss was, let's face it, a battering. Losing by 5 goals. Last night is disappointing as hell but to convert being on the end of a thumping to being a hard thought narrow loss that we could have got something out of? Still progress. Just need to hope this doesn't knock the wind out of our sails and that we bounce back quickly.

Incognito

The Normal One
No change to the points on the comparison but further improvement on the goal difference comparison.
And also to the morale of the team. The 5-0 loss made them a team to fear and the world knew we were susceptible at the back. Here, we know we were pretty close, a team needs to perform 110% against us and still managed to just get away with it. We are still the team to beat, while we know city are susceptible at their back. It's a huge improvement, despite no change in the color.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Ah well, time to get the red out I guess
Still, even in losing it's an improvement on the same fixture from last year.

That season's result still irritates the fuck out of me though. The score says 5-0 but it doesn't say that until Mané's red card we were the better team. It's the only reason we ended up getting battered instead of dishing out City's first league defeat of the season in September rather than in January.

Fowler's Left Peg

Here it is, for all those feeling a bit down about last nights result hopefully this will help bring a dose of perspective.

We are still in an amazing position, check out the next 5 games compared to City's next 5. Still a long road to go but pressure is on them to stay with us. Its about how we respond now

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
I never once thought we would go unbeaten for the whole season and if we were going to lose anywhere then away against City was always likely to be the game. It was only a defeat though. Not a thrashing or a performance that suggested this is yet another Liverpool team who have flattered to deceive and have now been found out. They just about shaded it but we were unlucky.

Next 5 games are ideal. All against teams we should beat and we really have to win them to drive home the advantage. Dropping any points in that sequence would be the first sign that the pressure is getting to us. We can't allow City or Spurs to get any closer during that period.

The crunch time for us is when the CL starts again at the end of next month. We play Bayern just before Utd. That's when the run-in starts for real. We must go into that with at least the four point lead we have now. Ideally, with a few more.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
I never once thought we would go unbeaten for the whole season and if we were going to lose anywhere then away against City was always likely to be the game. It was only a defeat though. Not a thrashing or a performance that suggested this is yet another Liverpool team who have flattered to deceive and have now been found out. They just about shaded it but we were unlucky.

Next 5 games are ideal. All against teams we should beat and we really have to win them to drive home the advantage. Dropping any points in that sequence would be the first sign that the pressure is getting to us. We can't allow City or Spurs to get any closer during that period.

The crunch time for us is when the CL starts again at the end of next month. We play Bayern just before Utd. That's when the run-in starts for real. We must go into that with at least the four point lead we have now. Ideally, with a few more.
I saw more cracks in city's game last night than in ours. When was the last time they kept a clean sheet?

Everything is positive about the reds, we just had a minor unlucky bump last night. I can't see City or Spurs going rest of the season unbeaten - i think we need another 40 points and the title will be ours. Thats 13 wins and a draw, from 17 matches - which means we are allowed some more losses - but I can't quite see where they will come from!

The treble is on.

Perth Red

TIA Youth Team
I saw more cracks in city's game last night than in ours. When was the last time they kept a clean sheet?

Everything is positive about the reds, we just had a minor unlucky bump last night. I can't see City or Spurs going rest of the season unbeaten - i think we need another 40 points and the title will be ours. Thats 13 wins and a draw, from 17 matches - which means we are allowed some more losses - but I can't quite see where they will come from!

The treble is on.
94 points is a massive haul and I would be mightily proud of that. If it's not enough then so be it but it shows an enormous lift in the form and performance of the team and we can ask for little more. A run in the CL would be great too and take me back to my youth of listening to away games in the European Cup on the radio, laying on my bed, headphones on, eyes closed, imagining the game in my head!

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team

The treble is on.
I felt that last night showed them to be under more pressure than us. The desperation of their tackling, camped in their own penalty area for the last five minutes booting it into row Z and, most telling of all, Pep completely losing it on the touchline. If we had scored with that chance I reckon the mother of all fights would have broken out down there. I seriously worry for the guy's sanity.

PeachesEnRegalia

We. Shall. Not. Be. Moved.
Turnabout is fair play. We ended their unbeaten run last year, now they've done it to us. We've traded the "End the eventual title winners' unbeaten run cup". Not too worried, if I'm honest. Takes the pressure off of the unbeaten season. Nice wee easy run in the league now. I'd play all kids against Wolves on Monday. FA cup doesn't mean a whole lot anymore.