• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Season Comparison: 2017/18 v 2018/2019

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Don't be - he is already insane. Have you seen him in his press con?
There is a reason he on tends to stay in a job three years. He is starting to look a bit haggered already.

[email protected]

Our next four fixtures all provided wins for us last season. No good reason we can't do the same this season as well except maybe the immense pressure to do it and stay ahead, I suppose. Looking at a set of fixtures as a block before moving on to the next is something we all do and for me, as I am sure for others, it began with Brighton on Saturday. 5 winnable fixtures in a row and to challenge for a league title they are 5 must wins for me personally as our next 'block' of 6 contains United away, Everton away and Spurs at home which are all tricky for one reason or another as we can see from last seasons results so a decent margin of error to mitigate a less than decent result will probably be crucial

4 wins from the next 4 would be massive. If we keep our heads down and take every game on its merit then it should be so and City will be playing catch up under immense pressure as well. Will dearly love to be on 69 points after Bournemouth and maybe even open up the lead by at least two more points.

Fowler's Left Peg

Our next four fixtures all provided wins for us last season. No good reason we can't do the same this season as well except maybe the immense pressure to do it and stay ahead
This is it, that is going to play a factor the longer the season goes on. Thankfully it also applies to the Plastics. I have been banging on about it all thread, last year they had it easy, they were going into games 15 points+ clear in the league at this stage, no pressure on them if they lost. If we can win our next 4 they are in a position were they will have had to play Wolves, Arsenal and Chelsea in the same period, under the pressure that if they don't win they drop further behind.

Don't be surprised to see them showing some nerves tonight, come on Wolves.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I don't think Arsenal is going to be any problem for them, Chelsea on the other hand can play a big role in this title run both against City and us. They are to me the most dangerous of the lot. They are chasing Spurs and do have a bit of breathing room between them and United. This title run is going to come down to who can hold their nerves better. Klopp is trying very hard to play it down, but as you say @Fowler's Left Peg, the closer we get to the finishline, the harder it is going to be for our inexperienced bunch.

Only Milner could share his experience and maybe keep everyone calm. The only player that is still in the club that had gone through this with us is Henderson, and he was the one who earned himself a suspension that did in a way cost us a bit. He was the Wijnaldum during our last run, keeping everything tight and helping out the skipper to clean up loose ends.

Nail biter, I hope everyone is ready for it, and that includes the fans. If nerves started to set into the fans in the stadium, the players can feel it when they play.

Incognito

The Normal One
Any other league or any other season, 9 out of 10 times we would be comfortably on top at this stage. Incredible competition between us and City; the team that doesn't win it will really have lost one of the toughest title challenge IMO. I remember it was Madrid who had amassed a massive 96 points and yet lost the league against the treble winning Barca side. I see this looks pretty similar, I just hope Pep is at the receiving end of this one unlike before!

Just having a look at what the second placed teams had a tally which had to be surpassed to win the league -

2018: United 81
2017: Spurs 86
2016: Arsenal 71
2015: City 79
2014: Liverpool 84
2013: City 78
2012: United 89

90 points in any of the last 6 seasons wins one the league! And to surpass the 90 mark, we need 34 points of the possible 48 which is very doable. However, City is a different beast altogether as a challenger.

Looking at La Liga which is usually a two horse race which seems to be the case like ours this season -
2018: Atletico 79
2017: Barca 90
2016: Madrid 90
2015: Madrid 92
2014: Barca 87
2013: Madrid 85
2012: Barca 91

Still would consider an average of 90. Going by the above, both teams reaching 100 points or so seems very very difficult. We are without a doubt in the toughest title chase seen in recent times nonetheless. Insane levels this we are at this season!!

Last edited:

[email protected]

Any other league or any other season, 9 out of 10 times we would be comfortably on top at this stage. Incredible competition between us and City; the team that doesn't win it will really have lost one of the toughest title challenge IMO. I remember it was Madrid who had amassed a massive 96 points and yet lost the league against the treble winning Barca side. I see this looks pretty similar, I just hope Pep is at the receiving end of this one unlike before!

Just having a look at what the second placed teams had a tally which had to be surpassed to win the league -

90 points in any of the last 6 seasons wins one the league! And to surpass the 90 mark, we need 34 points of the possible 48 which is very doable. However, City is a different beast altogether as a challenger.

Looking at La Liga which is usually a two horse race which seems to be the case like ours this season -

Still would consider an average of 90. Going by the above, both teams reaching 100 points or so seems very very difficult. We are without a doubt in the toughest title chase seen in recent times nonetheless. Insane levels this we are at this season!!
If we could somehow transplant this season to 15/16 out of all the others, then we would have been bouncing from now already. Leave alone Arsenal finishing second on a paltry 71, Leicester took advantage of the inexplicable implosion of everyone to win the league by 10 points with just 81! To put that into perspective, just 25 points from our next 16 games beats that. Just our luck to be having such a fantastic season in conjunction with someone else.

Fowler's Left Peg

You must have missed this Analysis table I did, its on page 3 of this thread if you need to see what I wrote at the time.

Compared each season the champions points total and the team finishing 2nd total, ie the points that was required to win the league. Interesting reading and at the time I said I felt 90 points was the magic number. However the pace City are going again it might be 4-5 more than that.

Incognito

The Normal One
You must have missed this Analysis table I did, its on page 3 of this thread if you need to see what I wrote at the time.

Compared each season the champions points total and the team finishing 2nd total, ie the points that was required to win the league. Interesting reading and at the time I said I felt 90 points was the magic number. However the pace City are going again it might be 4-5 more than that.

Yeah, probably missed out or forgot. Thanks @Fowler's Left Peg that's pretty interesting and with a larger set of data. Surprising that 90 mark hasn't been touched yet by the second placed team since 92!

Fowler's Left Peg

To hit 90 points we need a points average per game of - 2.37

Our current average is - 2.59 per game

2.59 points per game has us finishing on 98 points.

Impressive if we keep that up but I can't see it.

Fowler's Left Peg

Yeah, probably missed out or forgot. Thanks @Fowler's Left Peg that's pretty interesting and with a larger set of data. Surprising that 90 mark hasn't been touched yet by the second placed team since 92!
I know, 26 seasons and not once has 2nd place had more than 89 points, which is why I confidently hung my hat on 90 points at the start of the season as being the magic number.

Not so sure now.

However a lot happens in the run in, teams that are 2nd drop off if they are in other comps. for example if we pull a bit clear and City are in the Champions League Semi their league form may suffer. Happened with us last season.

Incognito

The Normal One
I know, 26 seasons and not once has 2nd place had more than 89 points, which is why I confidently hung my hat on 90 points at the start of the season as being the magic number.

Not so sure now.

However a lot happens in the run in, teams that are 2nd drop off if they are in other comps. for example if we pull a bit clear and City are in the Champions League Semi their league form may suffer. Happened with us last season.
Another reason I can think of is that we haven't had the top 2 teams massively ahead in quality than the rest of the pack. We used to have the traditional top 4 sides in the 2000s and even post that the other teams were very much capable of taking away points from the challengers during the course of the season. Hence, the comparison with La Liga where this is a generally usual occurrence of two teams not dropping points that easily to any other sides ( and is kind of the case here. Period.)

There's still half way to go and I also believe we will end up having a usual EPL kind of second half of the season and both us and City will drop more points. Your thought regarding being in other competitions is equally important and will factor in.

[email protected]

Not so sure now.

I think what's also indicative of this being a season where a massive points haul is looking likely to be needed is the generalisation amongst many in the fan bases that both teams should win all the remaining games to be in with a shout. Absolutely crazy with 16 games to go but such was the quality of City last season and the quality of both this season that it might actually be needed. If this pace continues we are in for a once in a generation, or maybe even lifetime, season.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
I think what's also indicative of this being a season where a massive points haul is looking likely to be needed is the generalisation amongst many in the fan bases that both teams should win all the remaining games to be in with a shout. Absolutely crazy with 16 games to go but such was the quality of City last season and the quality of both this season that it might actually be needed. If this pace continues we are in for a once in a generation, or maybe even lifetime, season.
Also should remember how many points we were behind city at this point last season - so quite frankly, the turnaround of being 4 points ahead at this stage is just remarkable. Had we finished 2nd last season, and say 5 points behind - then even then, this season would be fantastic. But what we are witnessing is outstanding.

To think we haven't dropped a single point against any team outside the Top 6 is also an amazing indicator.

Since Jurgen has taken over, I've been looking forward to every game and can see progress season on season. And it feels like we are not that far from winning the league this season. Just take it game at a time.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Also should remember how many points we were behind city at this point last season - so quite frankly, the turnaround of being 4 points ahead at this stage is just remarkable. Had we finished 2nd last season, and say 5 points behind - then even then, this season would be fantastic. But what we are witnessing is outstanding.
We have improved significantly while City had also digressed a little bit. Probably due to them being a bit more preoccupied over the Champs League and wanting to win that has hurt them a little.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
To think we haven't dropped a single point against any team outside the Top 6 is also an amazing indicator.
Our record against teams outside the top 6 is played 15, won 15, GF 37 GA 3. At the start of the season I thought this might be the area where we could see the biggest improvement as they are all games we should win, on paper at least. 84 points available in total. Some seasons that's been enough for a team to win the league.

Obviously winning the remaining 13 games against those teams is going to be tough, especially as some of them will be scrapping for their lives, but it certainly is possible and that's 39 further points up for grabs. Those teams really struggle to score against us. Many don't even try. Only needs one for us to go in then. A lot of our wins against those teams have been boringly efficient, Brighton being a case in point, but we've rarely been threatened. Only Everton, Leicester and, oddly, Huddersfield from within that group really pushing us.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Our record against teams outside the top 6 is played 15, won 15, GF 37 GA 3. At the start of the season I thought this might be the area where we could see the biggest improvement as they are all games we should win, on paper at least. 84 points available in total. Some seasons that's been enough for a team to win the league.

Obviously winning the remaining 13 games against those teams is going to be tough, especially as some of them will be scrapping for their lives, but it certainly is possible and that's 39 further points up for grabs. Those teams really struggle to score against us. Many don't even try. Only needs one for us to go in then. A lot of our wins against those teams have been boringly efficient, Brighton being a case in point, but we've rarely been threatened. Only Everton, Leicester and, oddly, Huddersfield from within that group really pushing us.
Thats interesting as we have 16 games left, and if we win 13 of them - that gives another 39pts which puts us on 96pts. Man city need 43 pts to match this - which is 14 wins and a draw.

I didn't think they were that dominant against Wolves bearing in mind the red card, and Wolves did create some openings. I don't think Man City will get more than 40 pts from their remaining 16 games - which puts them on 93 pts.

Wouldn't it be nice to win the league with 96 points?

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
After 23 games last season City had 62 points.... Not bad to be only two points behind the greatest team since Sky invented football!
I am still of the opinion that it is 50/50 but two teams exceeding 90 points would be amazing!
60 points at this stage is the fourth best total at this stage in the history of football.

W00die

Ad-free Member
We should win all our home matches and the only away one I'm worried about is ManU and that's only because they have suddenly started playing well under OGS. Of course we could drop points in any of the remaining fixtures if the opposition play out of their skins and we don't turn up / have big injury issues, but I'm begining to feel like a pint 2/3 full guy now, rather than just 1/2 full.....

LFCFFC

That streak of Spurs, Soton and Chelsea is looking massive in the context of the season.

Obviously all games are critical and such is the nature of this race that any slip up is probably going to hurt us significantly, but if we can take 9 points from those games and head into May with our current lead in tact, it really will start to feel like the 19th is on its way.

Of course, there are so many possibilities over the next few months that it's still far too early to even be thinking about that.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
We should win all our home matches and the only away one I'm worried about is ManU and that's only because they have suddenly started playing well under OGS. Of course we could drop points in any of the remaining fixtures if the opposition play out of their skins and we don't turn up / have big injury issues, but I'm begining to feel like a pint 2/3 full guy now, rather than just 1/2 full.....
I was kinda hoping United would face someone actually half-decent before our game, just to knock them out of their stride a little... I still don't think they're that good, but the kind of confidence and momentum they've generated in this mini-revival can carry you a long way. The only real obstacles they'll face between now and then though is away to Arsenal in the cup, which they may well lose but being the cup they may not be unduly bothered, and away to Leicester. They're a real Jekyll and Hyde outfit, they could give United a game or they could just revert to being useless and give them a free pass, can't bank on the former sadly.

We have the ability to go to Old Trafford and win, but it would be nice if we could do so with Solskjaer having already lost his unbeaten tag.