Season Comparison: 2017/18 v 2018/2019

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
If we win the league this season then it'll be down to our defensive improvement. It is revealing though that despite all the talk of our attacking play not being as good as last season we are at least on course to match goals scored. More likely exceed it.

We have just 6 points less now than we got in the whole of last season. Last season we drew 5 of the next 6 games we play so plenty of room for improvement there.

Fowler's Left Peg

Another disappointing result but another time we need to give ourselves a reality check.

Both Utd and Everton away were the games in the run in that posed the biggest threat, they are now out of the way and we are still in touch. Yes you want to win them but the most important thing is you don't lose them, we are still extremely difficult to beat.

I still think we have a good chance, it will be tough and we need a few favours but the games now open up for us a bit, we have fixtures that favour us more and its now its Man City's turn to feel someone breathing down their neck.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
The similarities with 08/09 continue. Too many draws for us and our main rival starts winning games 1-0.

If City do win every game between now and the end of the season finishing with 98 points then there was fuck all we were ever going to do about that. At the start of Jan I thought 95 points would win the league and that it was a reasonable target for us given where we were at that stage. That means only 2 points can be dropped between now and the end of the season. Tough but doable given the games we have left.

Nikola

We're not worthy!
Admin
The similarities with 08/09 continue. Too many draws for us and our main rival starts winning games 1-0.

If City do win every game between now and the end of the season finishing with 98 points then there was fuck all we were ever going to do about that. At the start of Jan I thought 95 points would win the league and that it was a reasonable target for us given where we were at that stage. That means only 2 points can be dropped between now and the end of the season. Tough but doable given the games we have left.
What are the odds of Man City drawing a game followed by Liverpool losing to Chelsea at Anfield? 2008/09 all over again but with a complimentary touch of 2013/14. Universe messing with Liverpool FC and their fans every five years, just for laughs.

sms1986

What are the odds of Man City drawing a game followed by Liverpool losing to Chelsea at Anfield? 2008/09 all over again but with a complimentary touch of 2013/14. Universe messing with Liverpool FC and their fans every five years, just for laughs.
Unlike those seasons, we'll challenge again next season, we're a much better side all over now. If we don't win it this time, the experience will still help our players.

Nikola

We're not worthy!
Admin
Unlike those seasons, we'll challenge again next season, we're a much better side all over now. If we don't win it this time, the experience will still help our players.
That's the only thing I'm counting on when it comes to this season, to be honest. That and continuation of squad and club rebuild process. I look at some Liverpool players and wonder "how the hell did we end up with them". It used to be in regards to the likes of Voronin, Poulsen and Jovanović, now it's the likes of Alisson, Van Dijk and Fabinho.

Fowler's Left Peg

That's the only thing I'm counting on when it comes to this season, to be honest. That and continuation of squad and club rebuild process. I look at some Liverpool players and wonder "how the hell did we end up with them". It used to be in regards to the likes of Voronin, Poulsen and Jovanović, now it's the likes of Alisson, Van Dijk and Fabinho.
The much laughed at and ridiculed transfer committee.

Not as funny now is it? lol

Fowler's Left Peg

Yep, posting a a points total of 90-95 and still not winning the league sounds like such a Liverpool thing doesn't it?

90 or more would have won every other title but the year we do it it won't be enough, and all that will get glossed over and we will still be labelled chokers/bottler etc lol

Fowler's Left Peg

Agree. Players below and ages, still plenty of years, none in their peak years. Just need to add a little more quality in there and the below is the makings of a title wining team no doubt.

Allison - 26
Arnold - 20
Van Dijk - 27
Robertson - 24
Fabinho - 25
Mane - 26
Firmino 27
Salah - 26

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
This is 08/09. I swear I have been here before. It only needs us to win 10 of the last 11 games (drawing the other) and still not win the bloody title and it'll be a carbon copy. We'll just have a lot more points.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
This is 08/09. I swear I have been here before. It only needs us to win 10 of the last 11 games (drawing the other) and still not win the bloody title and it'll be a carbon copy. We'll just have a lot more points.
Yes we now need luck to get us to the summit first. It is no longer down in our own hands, something that I was a bit irritated about. If we were to look at our performance this season, Salah has been the biggest factor and we relied a lot on him scoring last season and we didn't that much this season. However, him misfiring that much did messed us up a bit.

Improvement is clearly in our defence, if we were to compare this and last season. We have more clean-sheets, won more on 1 goal margin and low scoring draws registered this season. Last season we scored 4 or more goals 10 times todate, while this season we are 3 matches short, which means our attacking game has not improved because of Salah's and creativity from midfield.

It is not going to be easy to find the balance and after this season I would be happy to see us not selling any of our stars and add a few more bench options. Keeping the core is going to be very important, and hopefully our attacking game improves next season.

Fowler's Left Peg

So..... I have been dicking about, again!!!

Having a look at the run in fixtures wise, comparing City's run in against ours.

They are running into a pile up of fixtures, good news is 2 of those fixtures are Spurs and Utd.

Part of me now wonders is if this was in Klopp's thinking with the way we played against Utd and Everton. There was no real push to go on and win either game, instead changes were made to stay solid and not get beat.

Either way I still think we are in a good position, if we can stay a point behind at the point we have played Chelsea and they have to play Spurs at Home and Utd and Burnley Away, all sandwiched between 2 Champions League games then I will bet good money they are dropping points, if they don't then they are worthy Champions.

Not being involved in CL for us would be a big advantage.

What would happen to Cardiff for them? Would it be brought forward, cant see any place for it further down the line. Not sure if they have any rules on if games have to move later or can be brought forward?

cynicaloldgit

Total Member

Having a look at the run in fixtures wise, comparing City's run in against ours.

They are running into a pile up of fixtures, good news is 2 of those fixtures are Spurs and Utd.

Part of me now wonders is if this was in Klopp's thinking with the way we played against Utd and Everton. There was no real push to go on and win either game, instead changes were made to stay solid and not get beat.

Either way I still think we are in a good position, if we can stay a point behind at the point we have played Chelsea and they have to play Spurs at Home and Utd and Burnley Away, all sandwiched between 2 Champions League games then I will bet good money they are dropping points, if they don't then they are worthy Champions.

What would happen to Cardiff for them? Would it be brought forward, cant see any place for it further down the line. Not sure if they have any rules on if games have to move later or can be brought forward?

Looking at those fixtures, City will definitely drop points somewhere- especially with the injuries they currently have.

If we can’t win our remaining fixtures, we simply don’t deserve to be league champions.

Imgoingred

TIA Reserve Team

If they beat Palace away, play 3 days later in a UCL quarter final, beat Spurs 3 days later, beat Man United 4 days later, then beat Burnley 4 days later... They'll have deserved it.

Still, we need to try and win all remaining games. I don't like the idea of being conservative and hoping City drop points. Klopp and the players needs to stop showing our opponents so much respect. Set them up the way we were set up against Bournemouth and Watford in every remaining game.

Dane

NEXT!
I looked at this a few days ago, and cant see anywhere for their Cardiff game to be slotted in.
Obviously rules permit games to be brought forward, because they've already done it once for City in lieu of their League Cup final.
But, the upcoming international break runs from 20th to 27th March so nowhere there to play Cardiff.

Assuming they keep progressing in the FA Cup and CL, there is no free midweek between now and the end of the season.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Premier League will not extend fixtures beyond 12th May, but cant find the link.

We'll see.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
I looked at this a few days ago, and cant see anywhere for their Cardiff game to be slotted in.
Obviously rules permit games to be brought forward, because they've already done it once for City in lieu of their League Cup final.
But, the upcoming international break runs from 20th to 27th March so nowhere there to play Cardiff.

Assuming they keep progressing in the FA Cup and CL, there is no free midweek between now and the end of the season.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Premier League will not extend fixtures beyond 12th May, but cant find the link.

We'll see.
The last round of games all have to played at the same time on that Sunday

Fowler's Left Peg

We'll see.
Was looking at that big gap and thought they would have to play it there but that is International break.

So surely the only reasonable date is to bring it forward 3 days to Wednesday 3rd March.

It can't go anywhere else that gives them a 3 day break unless they get knocked out of CL.

That means after the International break the have a game every 3 days for 13 games in row. They are dropping points in the run in, I still think we might as well. We just need them to drop a couple more than us. If we win every game we win the league.

Last edited:

MinniMo

City sailed to the PL title last season, with little to no challenge from any other team, it was very easy for them.

This season is totally different, and I'm quite happy to (hopefully) just sit tight behind them for a very few matches piling on the pressure.

Will they cope, or will they implode? This is new ground for them too - not just us, and I so love seeing Pep throwing a hissy!

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Yes we now need luck to get us to the summit first. It is no longer down in our own hands, something that I was a bit irritated about. If we were to look at our performance this season, Salah has been the biggest factor and we relied a lot on him scoring last season and we didn't that much this season. However, him misfiring that much did messed us up a bit.

Improvement is clearly in our defence, if we were to compare this and last season. We have more clean-sheets, won more on 1 goal margin and low scoring draws registered this season. Last season we scored 4 or more goals 10 times todate, while this season we are 3 matches short, which means our attacking game has not improved because of Salah's and creativity from midfield.

It is not going to be easy to find the balance and after this season I would be happy to see us not selling any of our stars and add a few more bench options. Keeping the core is going to be very important, and hopefully our attacking game improves next season.
Agree it is irritating and frustrating but then I have to keep reminding myself what we're asking this team to do. I thought we would need to have the best ever season certainly in the PL, possibly in the club's history, to actually win the title given City's strength. First game of the season was a 'must win' and it hasn't let up since then.

Goals scored is exactly the same as last season for the same fixtures. This season we have missed the big chances at the big moments, like on Sunday, and this is down to pressure. We were never really under much pressure last season. Doing our usual thing of scrapping for top 4. Completely different scenario and it's bound to affect players. Certainly affecting Salah right now. If it doesn't happen this season then you have to hope that the experience at least has been good and will make them better equipped next season. As JK said it's not the last time, it's the first time. I will still be fucking annoyed if we don't win it though.

Dane

NEXT!
Was looking at that big gap and thought they would have to play it there but that is International break.

So surely the only reasonable date is to bring it forward 3 days to Wednesday 3rd March.

It can't go anywhere else that gives them a 3 day break unless they get knocked out of CL.

That means after the International break the have a game every 3 days for 13 games in row. They are dropping points in the run in, I still think we might as well. We just need them to drop a couple more than us. If we win every game we win the league.
You mean April?