• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Season Comparison: 2017/18 v 2018/2019

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
So Chelsea get Champions League for winning the Europa and fourth place United miss out? I like that plan!
Don't think that's what happens now. Last time I saw stuff on that rule England would end up with 5 teams in the champions league. Bizarrely if the rules I saw still stand then if United won the CL and finished 5th then whoever was 4th would miss out.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Don't think that's what happens now. Last time I saw stuff on that rule England would end up with 5 teams in the champions league. Bizarrely if the rules I saw still stand then if United won the CL and finished 5th then whoever was 4th would miss out.
Only if Chelsea or Arsenal won the EL.

Amusing scenario if we dont win the CL...........
Utd finish 4th, and Spurs finish 5th & win the CL, combined with Chelsea winning the EL, then Utd would drop down to the EL next season.

PeachesEnRegalia

No Offense, @Maria....
Chelsea won't bother us. By then they'll be focusing 100% on the EL, and will probably play a weakened side against us at Anfield. I reckon we'll slap Spurs down pretty hard next weekend. the toughest matches remaining on our sched are:

At So'ton - This one is more psychological than anything else, I reckon. It represents an opportunity to get a tricky away fixture out of the way, but they're a well-drilled side under Hassenwhatever and we'll have our home leg against Porto on our minds. I don't care if it's a shithouse 1-0 or a scrappy, nervy 2-1, we have to come away with all of the points here.

At Cardiff - same again here, this will be a big psychological match, because City have just entered their murderer's row of league matches after the CL QF is done, so we'll know that 3 points and maintaining the lead will be crucial. If City have dropped points to Spurs, then we'll be cagey, trying desperately not to "bottle it", and here's an interesting fact - Warnock is a cunt with a fictional axe to grind against us because of the Clyne thing. Again, a shithouse win of any sort will do me.

I expect both United and Burnley to take points off of City. They will be knackered for both of those games, and both United and Burnley will have plenty to play for. If we can win our next 4 league matches, then I think we'll win the title. Huddersfield will be relegated by the time we play them, Newcastle will have nowt to play for, and Wolves will be resting their best players for the FA Cup final against Pep's City.

Fowler's Left Peg

G
@Fowler's Left Peg , cheers for the updated table. But shouldn't it read 2-1, and not 1-2? Anyway, the green colour is lovely to see in there! :celebrating:
Good Spot, that's a classic copy and paste error if ever I saw one. I will update the master, so it will be right on the next posting, i'm not changing the above one, can't be arsed lol

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
That run for City starting with Palace away and ending with Leicester at home is fucking brutal. There is no way in hell they don't drop at least 3 points during that run. The cunts.
Spurs and United matches are going to be very interesting for them though. For us we just need Chelsea to fuck up and give up the top 4 spot, then they won't have much to push. Besides I think it is also the week where they are traveling for Europa League. They will be returning from Prague that week and if Sarri is trying to save his job, I hope he wised up and try to pull a Mourinho to win the Europa to qualify for Champs League. By doing so, they might just play second stringers against us and put all their eggs in that Europa basket, which would be great for us.

The rest of the matches, if we can't get out of them without winning them all, we then don't have much to complain about not winning the league. We need to get Salah back to scoring goals for us, we are actually 3 goals shy from what we've scored last season. I sure hope that own goal would lift that monkey off his shoulder and start banging in goals again.

Last edited:

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
We need to get Salah back to scoring goals for us, we are actually 3 goals shy from what we've scored last season. I sure hope that own goal would lift that monkey off his shoulder and start banging in goals again.
He is the key player for us in what remains of the run-in. We are missing his goals badly. He wasn't great against Spurs but that stroke of luck at the end might just kick him into life.

Gut feeling remains that both us and City will drop points before the end of the season but it's the timing of the dropping of those points that is crucial. First to blink probably loses the title which is why the Spurs win was so massive.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Looking at the fixtures, I think it’s massively important that we put Porto away in the first leg. There is only a couple of days between the Chelsea game and the second leg, so if we can rest a few there it would give us a really strong base for the final games.

Nevoo34

Sleeping with the enemy
First to blink loses.

Southampton is and should be our only focus, the rest of the games will take care of themselves, when they eventually overtook us, it was always going to be the case that we were going to need to win out, a little frustrating that we had the opportunity to stay ahead with a win at United, had we been braver but we are where we are.

If we drop points forget the narrative that we will have 'bottled' it, city have won every game with the exception of Newcastle since the turn of the year, if they win out from here they will have taken something like 51 from 54 points, ridiculous really and shows what we are up against.

Now if someone could actually decide to play against them and have some shots at their goal that might actually help, they were never going to slip against Bournemouth, West Ham, Fulham and Cardiff. It's no point over analysing where they will/could drop points, we can't affect that, we can only apply the necessary pressure right until the last game and hope things go our way.

kwala

TIA Regular
Those cheating idiots deserve nothing but a points deduction, transfer ban and relegation from the premier league.
As a club yes, your right. It is up to the Premier league, FA, UEFA, and fifa to grow some balls and deal with these types of clubs, not just City, but we all know they are corrupt as fuck and solely run by money.

Nevoo34

Sleeping with the enemy
Jeez some of the comments following the article Uneducated knuckle dragging cunts.

Whilst the article itself sums up the feelings of pretty much every Liverpool supporter right now the comments that follow it I would recommend swerving.

sms1986

Jeez some of the comments following the article Uneducated knuckle dragging cunts.

Whilst the article itself sums up the feelings of pretty much every Liverpool supporter right now the comments that follow it I would recommend swerving.
That's why you never read the comments. Many of them will be trolls anyway.