Season Comparison: 2017/18 v 2018/2019

Fowler's Left Peg

Agree with both of you, there are 3 key things we need to do in order to improve and challenge.

1 - The games we Won last year need to be repeated, or at least get very close.

2 - Turn at least half of those Draws from last season into WIns.

3 - Improve our record against the top 6 from last season, 2 points in the away games against top six is not good enough to challenge, as you say we need to pick up more away from home against these teams. 10 points out of 18 at home is better and we were unbeaten, but maybe a few more points here are achievable.

Put all that together and you never know, it could be.................
A post from beginning of the season.

I think its safe to say we achievled point 3 don't you.

Fantastic improvement on games against the top side, and Everton.

The yellow and red pens have officially been retired now for this season.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
85 points. That’s Rodger’s class of 13/14 (84pts) bested with four games to play. Rafa’s 08/09 side got 86, and can be beaten with a victory against Cardiff.

The highest points total in our history is 90pts in 87/88, which we can surpass if we win two of the remaining four.

Whatever happens this season, we should bear in mind this is likely to be the greatest league season in our history. This is a great football team.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Ferguson's United won 7 of their 13 Premier League titles with less points than we have now. Maybe this should be in the conspiracy thread?

In fact, in 9 out of 26 Premier League seasons we'd already have had enough points to win the league.

With 88 points that would be 14 out of 26.

91 points (plus GD) it would be 22 out of 26.

94 points it would be 24 out of 26.

97 points every season apart from last year.

And yet we could still finish second.

[Edited to add a shite table I compiled]

[Also, the first three PL seasons (93, 94, and 95) were played over 42 games. After 38 games the eventual champions had 72 points (United 93), 82 points (United 94), 83 points (Blackburn 95) so really we're higher placed after 34 games than the league winners were after 38 games in 11 out of 26 PL seasons]

Last edited:

Zinedine Biscan

Half-man, half-Biscuit
85 points. That’s Rodger’s class of 13/14 (84pts) bested with four games to play. Rafa’s 08/09 side got 86, and can be beaten with a victory against Cardiff.

The highest points total in our history is 90pts in 87/88, which we can surpass if we win two of the remaining four.

Whatever happens this season, we should bear in mind this is likely to be the greatest league season in our history. This is a great football team.
Yep... and I hope that, disappointed as everyone will be if we don't win the title, this team is given due credit from the supporters. It's looking like in terms of points gained there's only ever been one club in the Premier League better than us... it's just unfortunate they're on the scene at the exact same time.

Whether or not we win something, this will have been a great season, and perhaps the best part is there's still room to improve. As brilliant as we've been in patches and as many points as we've gained, this still feels like a team on the up rather than one that's peaking. A couple of key signings in the right positions and we could well see a repeat of this tally next season, if not bettering it.

Klopp's not going anywhere, I can say hand on heart that I believe none of the players we want to keep will be going anywhere, so we'll be in great shape to go again next season.

Dane

NEXT!
Even if we finish second we should all be incredibly proud of the whole club.
It is pulling together collectively, and this season has given us excitement, hope and belief.
Anyone rounding on the club, manager or players if we finish trophyless needs a good fucking slap.

But, finishing second will in no way ever be seen as the greatest league season in our history I'm afraid.

Kopstar

★★★★★
Even if we finish second we should all be incredibly proud of the whole club.
It is pulling together collectively, and this season has given us excitement, hope and belief.
Anyone rounding on the club, manager or players if we finish trophyless needs a good fucking slap.

But, finishing second will in no way ever be seen as the greatest league season in our history I'm afraid.
If we don't win a trophy I maintain that this season cannot be considered successful. What it will have done is demonstrated that we've got a great team but just like Holland in 74 and 78, Brazil in 82...these teams were great teams but they weren't successful.

I think the disparity between the teams is growing all the time so simply getting more points than we've amassed before is no true barometer as to where this team ranks against former iterations. For the record, I think that if the team of '88 had the same coaching and fitness regimes as are available to current players then I'd still fancy that team over this team...just. I do think this team is that good.

[XIs used different systems but these line-ups are based on the most appearances in the league]

Grobbelaar v Alisson
Nicol v TAA
Hansen v VVD
Gillespie v Fabinho
Whelan v Robertson
Johnston v Milner
McMahon v Henderson
Houghton v Wijnaldum
Beardsley v Mane
Aldridge v Firmino
Barnes v Salah
If I was to form a combined XI it would be:

Alisson, TAA, Hansen, VvD, Robertson, Whelan, McMahon, Barnes, Mane, Salah, Aldridge

5 from 88, 6 from 19.

Bench of Grobbelaar, Nicol, Fabinho, Houghton, Johnston, Beardsley, Firmino

Of the matchday squad it would be 10 from 88, 8 from 19.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. But while not the greatest season, it would objectively be our greatest league performance. To amass 97 points would be unreal, and just our fucking luck that we do it while City are clocking in 98 to 100.

[email protected]

Ferguson's United won 7 of their 13 Premier League titles with less points than we have now. Maybe this should be in the conspiracy thread?

In fact, in 9 out of 26 Premier League seasons we'd already have had enough points to win the league.

With 88 points that would be 14 out of 26.

91 points (plus GD) it would be 22 out of 26.

94 points it would be 24 out of 26.

97 points every season apart from last year.

And yet we could still finish second.

[Edited to add a shite table I compiled]

[Also, the first three PL seasons (93, 94, and 95) were played over 42 games. After 38 games the eventual champions had 72 points (United 93), 82 points (United 94), 83 points (Blackburn 95) so really we're higher placed after 34 games than the league winners were after 38 games in 11 out of 26 PL seasons]
It s imo worth mentioning that since the oil shaiks took over on big style in the EPL we re chasing a battle against the best in the world not like it was 10- 20 years ago and being where we are now makes me PROUDER then everything else in the World(is Tradition=US against Fecking Money superpowers)

Fowler's Left Peg

Agreed, but it's likely we'll see a lot more red and yellow in the points +/- column next season. How do you improve on near perfection?
It will be a good benchmark though. At least we will know if we can stay close to Nil on both columns, even if it is red then we will be close to where we are now which could be good enough.

[email protected]

It will be a good benchmark though. At least we will know if we can stay close to Nil on both columns, even if it is red then we will be close to where we are now which could be good enough.
Indeed. Consistency is the key in winning titles. Getting 85-90points 3 times in just over a decade is leaving it open to be pipped, as we have seen. Get consistently over 85 and close to 90 eight to nine times out of ten and you basically guaranteeing a League win in there somewhere. Do what we did this season for the next 2-3 seasons at least and we will be champions even if we don't do it this.