• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Season Comparison: 2017/18 v 2018/2019

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
For these first four equivalent fixtures it's only about building up GD plusses; in particular GA minuses. I can see Brighton going home without scoring again next weekend and I can't see us letting 2 in away at Leicester again, ever(?);-)
Vardy's suspended for that game, isn't he? Will definitely aid our cause, he tends to put one in against us...

Fowler's Left Peg

Out of the first 4 games the 2 I was worried about was Palace and Leicester, purely because of our away record against teams like this.

First test passed, Leicester will be difficult, nobody should expect we are automatically going to match the first 4 results against last year.

I also think Brighton will be determined not to get beat, would take 1-0 if you offered me it. putting W's on the board is all that matters at this stage of the season.

lfc.8

Great start to the season with three wins on the trot. Looking at the next five fixtures they become a bit more difficult, playing three of the top six, so important to have got the points on the table.

Leicester City (A)
Tottenham Hotspur (A)
Southampton (H)
Chelsea (A)
Manchester City (H)

LFCFFC

Yeh that's a critical run of games coming up. Obviously Man City is huge, but given our struggles away to the top 6 last year, I'd love to leave with 4/6 points (or better!) from our two London visits.

One week at a time though, Leicester was a heart-stopper last year so we can't take anything for granted.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Last season we had 13 points after 9 matches...

Right now we have 12 points after 4 matches. The international break probably coming at the right time as Jurgen has some work to do and get them firing properly.
On the international break, any link with details on who all are going to go away??

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
I think the first 4 games was all about getting as many points on the board as possible before the International break. If you offered 10 I think everyone wouldve taken that so to have 12 is amazing.

September and early Oct get a bit tougher

15 – Tottenham Hotspur (A)
22 – Southampton (H)
29 – Chelsea (A)
October
6 – Manchester City (H)

Throw in the league cup V Chelsea 4 days before the league meeting and a couple of very tough CL games
So from next 12 points available in the league, 9 are going to be really tough to get. I think thats why these first 4 games were crucial - hence why no Fabino and limited time for Shaqiri and Sturridge.

Zubikings

Yeaj we will definitely see more of bug Shaq nd Studge after the break
I think the first 4 games was all about getting as many points on the board as possible before the International break. If you offered 10 I think everyone wouldve taken that so to have 12 is amazing.

September and early Oct get a bit tougher

15 – Tottenham Hotspur (A)
22 – Southampton (H)
29 – Chelsea (A)
October
6 – Manchester City (H)

Throw in the league cup V Chelsea 4 days before the league meeting and a couple of very tough CL games
So from next 12 points available in the league, 9 are going to be really tough to get. I think thats why these first 4 games were crucial - hence why no Fabino and limited time for Shaqiri and Sturridge.
g

Red over the water

2.4 points per game should challenge for the title, yielding a 91/92 point season. If mapped out in five game blocks, we need to get 12 points every five games.

We have achieved our five game target in the first four games. If we win or draw against Spurs we will be ahead of that pace, and given the games we’ve got coming up, it would be useful to not come back from the Spurs game empty handed.

The performance level hasn’t been there yet, but it will improve. We have the best defence in the league so far, even with Alisson’s mistake. Once the front three starts to fire, and once the midfield blend is fine tuned, we have every reason to expect a very exciting season.

For once, the international break hasn’t come at a time that disadvantages us. Let’s hope they all come back fit.

Red over the water

A bit too early to be counting per-point average, considering Man City actually hit 100 points last season. Take it as it comes.
The old mantra, one game at a time, absolutely applies.

That said, this thread seems to be about comparing, and right from the first few posts people were talking about what we might do in various blocks of games and so on. So in that context I offered my own comment. Obviously if Man City match their record points haul from last season and get 100 points again, 2.4 ppg, or 12 in 15, will see us come up short.

My best guess is Man City will not match their total of last season. They will come down, maybe by half a dozen points or so, whereas we will hopefully get a lot more points than last time. How many remains to be seen, but if we keep up the 2.4 average we will be the closest team to them in the Prem, and put in a strong challenge.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
I always love these threads, it’s just disappointing that they always die a slow and painful death.

Fowler's Left Peg

Here we go, updated table for everyone.

The reason I like this sort of analysis is because it helps people keep there feet on the ground. Whereas the press and internet fan boys can't wait to blow up our start, ie best start in years, laid down a marker etc we can all see from the analysis all we have done is match the results from previous year, which is a minimum requirement if we are looking at year on year improvement.

It was vital to get the 4 wins, im not even fussed we have 1 less on GD if anything I am more impressed that we are getting these W's without even playing well yet.

The fixture list generator was kind for our start, we will see against Spurs exactly how good we are at the minute.

Perth Red

Rolling with crocs in Darwin
matching last years 21 points from those first 9 games would be pretty impressive. The exciting bits are all those yellow ones and the opportunities to grab a couple of extra points here and there, particularly the home games obviously. I would be very happy to be over 30 points after 14 games that's for sure!

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
If we cannot hold Spurs and Chelsea to a minimum of 1 point, then our progress may not have been as much as one thinks.

Perth Red

Rolling with crocs in Darwin
If we cannot hold Spurs and Chelsea to a minimum of 1 point, then our progress may not have been as much as one thinks.
Even a draw against each means we have to beat City again to match the 21 points. I would take 3 draws and be happy!

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Even a draw against each means we have to beat City again to match the 21 points. I would take 3 draws and be happy!
Either that or we start converting those draws at Home and away to weaker side to wins, then I would see a proper progress. We should hope to see a target of mid to high 80pts finish.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
matching last years 21 points from those first 9 games would be pretty impressive. The exciting bits are all those yellow ones and the opportunities to grab a couple of extra points here and there, particularly the home games obviously. I would be very happy to be over 30 points after 14 games that's for sure!
Here's a sobering fact for you. After 9 games last season, we had 13 points.

This season comparison is comparing the same matches - not the order of matches. If we get to xmas and are in the Top 2 places, we should have a good number of points and some momentum to carry us over some of the more trickier matches.

YeGra

I'm not too worried about matching or beating the previous points total in these first 9 games. We'd do well to beat it by any margin.

If you break the season into quarters, it's the second and fourth quarter we were pretty piss poor in. I am sure we will better those points total in those quarters so that's where our improvement should be.