• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Season Comparison: 2017/18 v 2018/2019

YeGra

Same. Can't see City getting less than 90.

My hope is that City drop more points against the top 6. They won 8 and only lost 2.

That and some teams give them a good running like Watford, Leicester and Everton. I don't expect the likes of Cardiff to do anything but collapse so that 5 nil win they got last weekend is not where the title will be won and lost.

Fowler's Left Peg

My gut feeling is we will need 95+ points to win the title
That’s my feeling too. 90 +. I don’t think City will go at the pace they went at last year, but I do think that it will be incredibly competitive.
Can't see it to be honest. I know Man City are good but I do believe last season was a freak. Teams don't tend to have seasons like that back to back. I am a big believer in law of averages and the stats prove these seasons are rare.

Plus last season nobody had them under pressure, its a whole different ball game if you are going into games knowing a bad result and you are going 2nd or 3rd in the league. At no point last season were they under pressure going into a game, they had a big safety net of points from early. Hopefully if we are challenging we are going to ramp up the pressure, particularly towards the end of the season, imagine us winning a game to go above them in the league in the lunchtime kick off, suddenly that away game to Leceister/Watford becomes that bit more difficult, whereas last season they were what 15 points clear under no pressure.

Add to this Chelsea and Arsenal have both improved, I expect them to lose more points against the bigger teams this season.

I am going to hang my hat on 90 points and say thats enough to win the League this season, will be interesting to come back next at the end of the season and have a look.

Last edited:

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Next two games will tell us how likely it is that we are going to make a genuine challenge. Given City are at home to Brighton and will almost certainly win, even a draw against Chelsea (good result for us) will see us knocked off the top on goal difference. Then it's City at home the following week. We can not afford to lose that game. Psychologically it would be a big blow, even this early in the season.

True that the law of averages dictates that City will not get as many points this season but it's hard to see them getting less than 90 given how dominant they are against teams outside the top 6, most of which just lay down and die in front of them. Wolves were the exception but even they needed a wrongly allowed goal to get a point.

It would be immense to go into the next international break still on top. Our games until that point will have been genuinely tough. The games between then and the next break in November look a lot easier on paper and it will be a chance to see how City (and Chelsea) cope with a bit of real competition and pressure.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Well losing last night in the Carabao cup should give a spring in our step - the back 4 and GK will be back to normal. It will be a real interesting game on Saturday. Big 3 games coming up.
Sadly though, it would have been better had they really performed, which would have kept the first teamers really on their toes.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Sadly though, it would have been better had they really performed, which would have kept the first teamers really on their toes.
Before we concede, they didn't really put a foot wrong. The problem is in their head, they panicked after conceded a goal.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Before we concede, they didn't really put a foot wrong. The problem is in their head, they panicked after conceded a goal.
Quite possibly, I certainly think Clyne and Matip did nothing wrong, and Mignolet looked decent as well. But the panicking after conceding a goal thing is the problem. That’s why the first choice defence is the first choice defence and these boys aren’t.

Had they left the pitch last night with a clean sheet and plaudits, the first choice lads know they have to perform to keep their shirts, and that’s no bad thing.

Having said that, there aren’t many defenders who wouldn’t squeak a bit at Hazard running at them.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Quite possibly, I certainly think Clyne and Matip did nothing wrong, and Mignolet looked decent as well. But the panicking after conceding a goal thing is the problem. That’s why the first choice defence is the first choice defence and these boys aren’t.

Had they left the pitch last night with a clean sheet and plaudits, the first choice lads know they have to perform to keep their shirts, and that’s no bad thing.

Having said that, there aren’t many defenders who wouldn’t squeak a bit at Hazard running at them.
Even if they keep a clean sheet last night and the next cup match, I can't see them shaking up our first choice back 5 any time soon. They would be the candidate to step in and replace one of them due to suspension, injury or purely rotating purposes. But they are not going to dethrone any of our first choice back 5. Even when they were playing well before the cheating goal, you can still see how easily they get turned by the forwards. Moreno's right is the way to break away from him, it's like he has a wooden leg on his right side. For Lovren, just get him to come close to you to intercept or block you, as soon as he gets too close, you can turn him easily with a pass or nutmeg. Clyne tends to ball watch after a while and pose no threat going up, so the opposing team can just camp on his side of our final 3rd. Mignolet - well we know how opposing teams can get to him, his concentration and confidence can easily be shattered.

So I just can't see them being a credible group to make our first choice worry, leaving them something to think about. They are there to use for rotation, suspension and injury.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
We are now 4 points better off than last season with the same opponents played..... Let's hope it stays that way at the end of next week.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
We are now 4 points better off than last season with the same opponents played..... Let's hope it stays that way at the end of next week.
After 7 games last season, we had 12 points. 2 teams at the top both had 19 points separated by goal difference. Man City were top, United 2nd.

That feels like a massive point today.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
After 7 games last season, we had 12 points. 2 teams at the top both had 19 points separated by goal difference. Man City were top, United 2nd.

That feels like a massive point today.
I was following the chart made by @Fowler's Left Peg. I am aware we are 5 points better and scored more goals and conceded 9 goals lesser than last season at this point.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
I was following the chart made by @Fowler's Left Peg. I am aware we are 5 points better and scored more goals and conceded 9 goals lesser than last season at this point.
Yes I know exactly what this thread is about - and it’s brilliant.

Comparing also where we were after 7 games last season also has its merits - as if we are doing well, it builds momentum.

Both comparisons, we are doing better in. Let’s keep it that way!

Fowler's Left Peg

Not a bad point in the end, not many teams will get anything from Chelsea Away this season. Keeps the points ticking in the right direction.

Nice easy game this weekend.

*Just spotted the error on GD, should be +4, will correct on next weeks

YeGra

We would have bitten each others hands off for this run of results at the start of the season.

We still have another level to reach. It should be noted we didn't start firing on all cylinders in the league yet last year either. If we can get even more goals and keep that defensive solidity it's going to be hard for any team to get points off us.

Already apprehensive about City next weekend. In normal circumstances I wouldn't but its such an important game in the title race.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
That was the first test of our title challenging credentials successfully passed. Really important we didn't lose against Chelsea. Goal in a million from Sturridge but it was hardly against the run of play and a point was the least we deserved. City remain the benchmark though. This next game also falls right into the 'must not lose' category. A draw against them wouldn't be a disaster. Would keep us level on points going into the break with a run of easier games to come.

A lot has been made about needing to improve our results against the rest of the top 6 and whilst we do need to do better than last year, the weakness for us over several seasons has been dropping points against teams outside the top 6, including those who end up being relegated (Swansea last season, Hull the season before). Teams that dominate the league like Utd under Ferguson and City now absolutely smash teams outside the top 6, racking up huge goal differences and barely breaking sweat in the process. 84 points on offer against teams that are outside the top 6 and they are all games we should win on paper (including Everton). Big gains to be made there this season too.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
That was the first test of our title challenging credentials successfully passed. Really important we didn't lose against Chelsea. Goal in a million from Sturridge but it was hardly against the run of play and a point was the least we deserved. City remain the benchmark though. This next game also falls right into the 'must not lose' category. A draw against them wouldn't be a disaster. Would keep us level on points going into the break with a run of easier games to come.

A lot has been made about needing to improve our results against the rest of the top 6 and whilst we do need to do better than last year, the weakness for us over several seasons has been dropping points against teams outside the top 6, including those who end up being relegated (Swansea last season, Hull the season before). Teams that dominate the league like Utd under Ferguson and City now absolutely smash teams outside the top 6, racking up huge goal differences and barely breaking sweat in the process. 84 points on offer against teams that are outside the top 6 and they are all games we should win on paper (including Everton). Big gains to be made there this season too.
We've played Spurs away too this season - that was meant to be a test too!

It'll be interesting to see where this Chelsea team end this season. They seem much better than last season, and the new system seems to suit them. Only thing is as the Europa League starts kicking in, will it effect their league performance?

We look good though, we are not fully firing and to have 6 wins and a draw at this stage is pretty brilliant.

Bring on City.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
And you include Everton? You are super generous.... lol

We will need to beat City, not because anything, but to have a breathing room between us and them. Having a 3 point at this stage against a team that had just recorded 100 points can be vital for our quest to reach our final destination.

C

Caradoc

And you include Everton? You are super generous.... lol

We will need to beat City, not because anything, but to have a breathing room between us and them. Having a 3 point at this stage against a team that had just recorded 100 points can be vital for our quest to reach our final destination.

Unfortunately we are not in the same attacking rude health as we were when we last played them. Nor will we have The Ox charging at them from midfield.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Unfortunately we are not in the same attacking rude health as we were when we last played them. Nor will we have The Ox charging at them from midfield.
You are right, but they are also going to play against us without their most talismanic player too. Quite even out....I feel.

Perth Red

Rolling with crocs in Darwin
City haven't really been challenged yet this season, been a bit easy for them so far. The dropped points at Wolves were hugely unlucky... how the Wolves goal was given is beyond me! However, that may have lulled them in to a false sense of security!!! Let's hope anyway. Hoping for a win, expecting a draw.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
We may not be too happy with our performance of late, especially the front 3 for the last 3 weeks or so, but if we were to look at our progress compared to last season, we should all sit up and crack a smile instead of being angry or disappointed.

Compared to last season, we've just conceded 3 as opposed to 12 at the same stage last season. We have kept 5 clean sheets in 8 matches, and we are 7 points better off compared to last season. Last season at this point, we've played Arsenal, City and United, we won one, drew one and lost one. This season we've played Spurs, City and Chelsea and we've won one, and drew 2. Comparing to our results against the top sides, we faired a little better. We have also dropped more points compared to this season with 20 points to our name, we are now 7 points better than last season after 8 matches. Better goal difference with 12 this season compared to 1, scoring 15 to 13 of last season.

With head to head comparison, we are now 2 points better off compared to last season also. It isn't that bad considering we are progressing nicely, while our front 3 is considered lacking in form and our midfield is still lacking someone who could drive the team forward like Coutinho or Oxlade-Chamberlain.

So all in, I am pretty pleased going into this International break. Hope everyone comes back unscathed and we start picking up our form since our fixtures are much easier incomparison.

Perth Red

Rolling with crocs in Darwin
Plus 2 points, plus 2 goal difference - sound! Would have happily have taken this at the start of the season.
Opportunity to play ourselves in to form over the next 10 or so games before playing the big guns again, other than away to a seemingly improved Arsenal.
We have definitely had the hardest start to the campaign, expect City and Chelsea to drop points again before Christmas... well at least when they play each other. We just need to make sure we rack up the points between now and then to put them under pressure.
Would be great to get the half way point with plus 10 points or more!

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
On the head to head we didn't drop many points in these games last year so to have any more points on the board in the comparison is great.

Over the next 10 games though we struggled last year only picking up 15 out of 30 available points. I'm not expecting us to pick up all 30 but I think we will pick up 20+, possibly around 25. That would be a real solid build/increase on last season.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Alright then, that's it.... I don't want to see any other colour, other than green on the above chart till Mid January next year! You hear me!

Fowler's Left Peg

A good result in the end.

Still top of the league

Spurs and Chelsea away done as well as City at home.

If we can push on and get wins against Huddersfield and Cardiff it will put us on 26 points compared to the 22 we got last season at the 10 game mark, then we are in a great position to improve on the fixtures we didnt get results from last season.

Last edited: