Season Comparison: 2017/18 v 2018/2019

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
A good result in the end.

Still top of the league

Spurs and Chelsea away done as well as City at home.

If we can push on and get wins against Huddersfield and Cardiff it will put us on 26 points compared to the 22 we got last season at the 10 game mark, then we are in a great position to improve on the fixtures we didnt get results from last season.
Just a note, we had 16 points after the 1st 10 games last season...

We now have a fantastic run of games ahead, and need to make them count. Looking back, Spurs, Chelsea twice, PSG, Napoli and Man City rank as 6 of the Top 15 toughest teams across europe.

So we've done very well. Man City and Chelsea have tougher schedule than us.

Fowler's Left Peg

Just a note, we had 16 points after the 1st 10 games last season...

We now have a fantastic run of games ahead, and need to make them count. Looking back, Spurs, Chelsea twice, PSG, Napoli and Man City rank as 6 of the Top 15 toughest teams across europe.

So we've done very well. Man City and Chelsea have tougher schedule than us.
Yes I know, I’m talking about the 10 game mark on the season comparison table.

Perth Red

TIA Youth Team
Against the same opposition, we have effectively turned the two losses in to two draws. Now we need to turn the draws coming up in to wins! Win the next six games and we are a dozen points up on the same fixtures last year!

Fowler's Left Peg

Still some tough fixtures in there. I agree we need to turn some into wins but the Away games to Arsenal and Watford are going to be tricky and a point away is a very realistic outcome, Arsenal in particular look a real threat again

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Still some tough fixtures in there. I agree we need to turn some into wins but the Away games to Arsenal and Watford are going to be tricky and a point away is a very realistic outcome, Arsenal in particular look a real threat again
If we want to be a serious contender, away you Watford should not worry us too much and a point from both matches may be realistic but in no way acceptable. I can live with 4 points in those two matches.

Noo Noo

Thanks for this @Fowler's Left Peg.

That's a really encouraging table as you've shown it which kind of puts our concerns about form to one side a little.

To be fair the only thing that really bugs me now is the relatively non existent margin for error. By the looks of things you cant afford to slip and inch. Minds will have to be focused 100% all the time and that will take an enormous amount of mental strength.

Fowler's Left Peg

Thanks for this @Fowler's Left Peg.

That's a really encouraging table as you've shown it which kind of puts our concerns about form to one side a little.

To be fair the only thing that really bugs me now is the relatively non existent margin for error. By the looks of things you cant afford to slip and inch. Minds will have to be focused 100% all the time and that will take an enormous amount of mental strength.

You're welcome, I enjoy doing it, I enjoyed it when the previous person used to post it.

Quite happy with our form to be honest, I know our attack isn't quite clicking but we are still creating chances, I would be worried if we wasn't.

Our GA is massive, only 3 goals conceeded against opponents we conceeded 12 against last season. We are now in a position were even if our attack isnt firing we can rely on the backline to get us the points.

And with relation to non existent margin forever, is there ever a championship winning team that can make errors? You have to be on it all season if you want to take the title.

Will be interested to see Man City's form develop over the season, I know people are expecting them to be as good as last year and they might be, but this time last season they were 8 points clear of us, we are level on points after playing them once and regardless of how good you are games are a little bit more difficult to win when teams are breathing down your neck.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
You're welcome, I enjoy doing it, I enjoyed it when the previous person used to post it.

Quite happy with our form to be honest, I know our attack isn't quite clicking but we are still creating chances, I would be worried if we wasn't.

Our GA is massive, only 3 goals conceeded against opponents we conceeded 12 against last season. We are now in a position were even if our attack isnt firing we can rely on the backline to get us the points.

And with relation to non existent margin forever, is there ever a championship winning team that can make errors? You have to be on it all season if you want to take the title.

Will be interested to see Man City's form develop over the season, I know people are expecting them to be as good as last year and they might be, but this time last season they were 8 points clear of us, we are level on points after playing them once and regardless of how good you are games are a little bit more difficult to win when teams are breathing down your neck.
So games will also be harder for us

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
@Fowler's Left Peg Just wanted to say that this is a brilliant thread and thanks for updating it as we go along.

I did want to ask if there was doing a table with the last 38 games in it - ie. We've had 8 games so far, and add the last 30 games from last season - what does the table look like. I read somewhere that we would be 2nd if we did a rolling 38 game table....

Sometimes this is a good indicator of how a team is performing. The season Leicester won the league, they actually started in the last 8 games of the season before with Nigel Pearson.....

Just a thought...

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
@Fowler's Left Peg Just wanted to say that this is a brilliant thread and thanks for updating it as we go along.

I did want to ask if there was doing a table with the last 38 games in it - ie. We've had 8 games so far, and add the last 30 games from last season - what does the table look like. I read somewhere that we would be 2nd if we did a rolling 38 game table....

Sometimes this is a good indicator of how a team is performing. The season Leicester won the league, they actually started in the last 8 games of the season before with Nigel Pearson.....

Just a thought...
We'd be 2nd on 82 points. A mere 16 points behind Manchester City!

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
There are only 2 teams that have not improved in their point haul at this stage of the season, Man City and Man Utd. City had 25 points at this stage of the season, while United had 20 and a spot behind City. Spurs were 3rd with 20, while Chelsea and Arsenal both sitting at 4th and 5th with 16 points each. We were 9th with only 13 points to our name.

Compared to this season, United had dropped to 10th with 14 points, 6 worse than last season. Chelsea and Arsenal collected 5 more points than they had last season, sitting a position higher than last. Spurs dropped 2 spot but improved in their points tally with 1. We are the most improved team this season with 10 more points and 7 spot higher.

With all the talks about our attacking game and free scoring trio, we are only 2 goals better off compared to last season. The stark difference between us last season and this is our defence. A whopping 13 goals improvement, where we conceded 16 last season at this stage of the competition and only let in 3 this season. That's a big improvement, which explains why we are where we are today.

For me, all I am hoping for is to see Klopp telling the players to adopt the golf concept. Playing against yourself. Forget about the rest of the pack, just keep improving our game, one match at a time and see how far we can go.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
The sequence of the next 5 games is interesting - where we collected only 5 points last season - this is where the gap will widen.

The top 5 are closer grouped and we’ve had the tougher games.... so let’s see how others fair now.

Looking very good though!

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Looking good...

Definite improvement from last season, but also we are only just getting going. You can sense there is much more to come - we are not punching over our weight - this is where we deserve to be.

Tonights game for City becomes very interesting. Will they play for a draw again?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Looking good...

Definite improvement from last season, but also we are only just getting going. You can sense there is much more to come - we are not punching over our weight - this is where we deserve to be.

Tonights game for City becomes very interesting. Will they play for a draw again?
The pitch is going to be a very big factor for these two sides who preferred to play football rather than hoofball. Both teams housed pretty fragile players too, so it is going to be interesting to see how they manage in that sort of condition at Wembley.

Our style of play have changed quite a bit this season and it shows in our game. All our players need to gel further, especially Fabinho and Shaqiri for them to not only play the minnows but to make it count against the big guns. These two have yet to be tested against the tougher opponents, we will need to wait and see how they pan out.

Keep our head down and right, work towards the same goal and get everyone up on form and we be pretty tough to team to play against. As long as we have eradicated that panicky mode we usually have, we be fine. The Napoli match showed how vulnerable we can be against a more tactical side and a lousy freaking pitch.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
The pitch is going to be a very big factor for these two sides who preferred to play football rather than hoofball. Both teams housed pretty fragile players too, so it is going to be interesting to see how they manage in that sort of condition at Wembley.

Our style of play have changed quite a bit this season and it shows in our game. All our players need to gel further, especially Fabinho and Shaqiri for them to not only play the minnows but to make it count against the big guns. These two have yet to be tested against the tougher opponents, we will need to wait and see how they pan out.

Keep our head down and right, work towards the same goal and get everyone up on form and we be pretty tough to team to play against. As long as we have eradicated that panicky mode we usually have, we be fine. The Napoli match showed how vulnerable we can be against a more tactical side and a lousy freaking pitch.
I get the feeling that Pep is more worried about us than he is about Spurs. I doubt he will give them the same respect/fear that he gave us...

I'd like to see Tottenham win this, but all 3 results have some benefit for us!

Fowler's Left Peg

I get the feeling that Pep is more worried about us than he is about Spurs. I doubt he will give them the same respect/fear that he gave us...

Spurs win for me, more long term value. They are a good side but when the going gets tough you can rely on them to go full 'Spursy'. The more points Man City drop the better.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Looking good...

We absolutely deserve to be where we are. You could make a case for Huddersfield deserving a point against us. We were poor in that game. The two draws we've had were fair results. We have totally deserved the other victories. I would describe our start as business-like. Not mind-blowing but just getting the job done. We were well prepared tactically for the start of this season and it's helped us get results even though some individual players have been below their best.

We have to hope Spurs get something against City. If teams in the top 6 don't it's hard to see where City might drop points. They have so many attacking options they can just steamroller teams outside the top 6. We are definitely the underdogs, which probably suits us, but we have given ourselves a chance this season with the start we've made. Can't ask for much more than that.

Red over the water

Spurs win, draw, City win, in that order.

Spurs are good, but they are top-four good, not title-winning good. If a team finishes above Man City this season they will be champions, so the more points they drop the better. There’s a silver lining if Spurs lose, as it strengthens our top four case, but hopefully we are looking higher to try to fight Man City all the way.

Commando

Glad we played Spurs when the pitch was in good nick. From what I saw of it yesterday there probably won’t be too much flow to the play.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"

It isn’t about him being scared or respect us more than Spurs, it’s more about him worrying that a divot in Wembley might break De Bruyne or Aguero’s ankle. After that NFL match, I am pretty sure the state of the pitch is as awful as a Sunday league field.

Red over the water

That Napoli defeat still hurts. I still think, we could have a nicked a draw there.
Yep, it was a low point for us this season. A draw would have meant that with two back-to-back wins against Red Star Belgrade, we’d almost be through to the knockout stages. As it stands, we still top the group going into the match in Belgrade, so we are doing well, but even a win there will mean we still need to get something more from one or both of the last two, very difficult, games. Depending how the next round of matches pans out, obviously.

It would be typical Liverpool to need a result in the game against Napoli, and to have another of those famous European nights under the floodlights at Anfield.

If it comes to that I’ll take it, but I’d quite like to sail through the group and leave the nerve jangling stuff until later on!

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
It isn’t about him being scared or respect us more than Spurs, it’s more about him worrying that a divot in Wembley might break De Bruyne or Aguero’s ankle. After that NFL match, I am pretty sure the state of the pitch is as awful as a Sunday league field.
Both teams play on the same pitch.

The tactics and formation pep deployed against us showed that he was happy with a point, with off chance of nicking it (which they nearly did)...

He should be going for 3 points - Tottenham have all their home matches on this pitch and they play pretty good football... they are better now then when we played them. Should be a good game.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Both teams play on the same pitch.

The tactics and formation pep deployed against us showed that he was happy with a point, with off chance of nicking it (which they nearly did)...

He should be going for 3 points - Tottenham have all their home matches on this pitch and they play pretty good football... they are better now then when we played them. Should be a good game.
Didn't I say that in my first line? I would hope to see a good game, but I some how felt the pitch is not going to permit it.

Perth Red

TIA Youth Team
Amazing that 10 games in three teams remain unbeaten - could be very close this season. Just have to keep putting the points up and see where it takes us.
Would take 10 points from the next four games quite happily, which would put us 10 points ahead against the same fixtures last year. We are scoring almost on a par with last year, just not having the shoot out against City and smashing Brighton, so GD is excellent too.