Season Comparison: 2017/18 v 2018/2019

RedForever2014

At the moment I'm just viewing every point collected as another step towards the primary goal of top 4 for the third year in succession.

If we get to the latter stages of the CL, it's likely we'll drop points in the PL, even more likely if we drop into the Europa League.

We're seeing Thursday night football possibly now impacting Chelsea and Arsenal, so let's hope that we avoid that one, which would be even more beneficial if Spurs have to contend with Thursday night football during the run in too.

So every point now is a point in the bank.

If we find last season's form after Xmas, or sign a player who can make a difference, maybe we can hope for more.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
The gap is getting wider. As @RedForever2014 has said, getting into the champions league for the 3rd time in a row is actually a good measure of success - coupled with a good cup run would be nice.

There will be a time when City will drop points, if we can keep our heads down and keep the momentum going - you just never know. I'm really enjoying this ride - if you offered me 9 wins and 3 draws at the beginning of the season......

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
I thought that following the last international break, a run of 3 wins and a draw would have had us either top or joint top at this stage, given that City had to play both Spurs and Utd. Bit disheartening that they are not dropping any points and it's taken the gloss off what we're doing to an extent. Nonetheless, 30 points is impressive, regardless of the performances.

There are no more breaks until March so this is when the season really gets going. Next phase of games is tricky and I think will tell us how good (or not) we really are. Watford are a dangerous team, blow a bit hot and cold but on their day a hard team to play against, especially after an international break. Then it's the Derby, which is always tough (and follows PSG away, which is a massive game). Burnley have rediscovered their defensive mojo after a brief and disastrous experiment with a slightly more expansive style of play. Another hard game. Then it's Bournemouth, whose style suits us, but have gone up a level this year. Then Napoli, then Utd. If we are still there or thereabouts in the league after that little lot we'll have done extremely well.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Going by match-day week performances, we're 8 points better off compared to last season. Spurs are 4 points better than what they did last season and Chelsea improved by 3 points. Even Arsenal showed slight progress of +2 points. City actually dropped 2 points from last season tally while United is 6 points off from their previous season. So margins are all very close and we're probably the most improved team this season. City at this point had opened up an 8 point gap between them and the second spot United at this point of the season in 17/18, and now being chased far closer by us. So far, so good...

From 29th Nov till 4th Jan, 5 plus weeks, we are going to play these teams 29/11 - PSG(A), 3/12 - Everton(H), 12/12 - Napoli(H), 17/12 - United(H), 30/12 - Arsenal(H) and 4/1 - City(A). Between those games of course you've got your banana skins like Watford, Bournemouth, Burnley, Wolves and Newcastle. That is going to be our toughest month going into this holiday season and we will need everyone fit. This is where rotation plays a very big role and coaching staff make their proper money.

If we came out of that month still 2 points adrift from Man City, it would be the most impressive season we've had and if we don't win the league by the end of the season, I think I would kidnap Guardiola and keep him away from City come 2019/20 season to give everyone else a fucking chance.

Last edited:

Commando

Thanks for that @Fowler's Left Peg

I think that I might print this table off to give some perspective. When I think back to last season, in my mind it was a non stop express ride to the final in Kiev. But looking at that chart, there's a whole lot of yellow and when you look at some of the teams that those draws came against.
I know we haven't been firing on all cylinders yet this season, and I know that this isn't the league table, but the table above doesn't lie. Our results from last season so far have improved.

Fowler's Left Peg

I thought that following the last international break, a run of 3 wins and a draw would have had us either top or joint top at this stage, given that City had to play both Spurs and Utd. Bit disheartening that they are not dropping any points and it's taken the gloss off what we're doing to an extent. Nonetheless, 30 points is impressive, regardless of the performances.
I agree, its very frustrating how well we have performed we deserve to be top but that juggernaught keeps churning out wins.

Lets hope we can keep the pace, it feels very much like first to blink at the minute, however if we keep with them who know what happens deep into the season, especially if they are doing well in CL.

Fowler's Left Peg

Thanks for that @Fowler's Left Peg

I think that I might print this table off to give some perspective. When I think back to last season, in my mind it was a non stop express ride to the final in Kiev. But looking at that chart, there's a whole lot of yellow and when you look at some of the teams that those draws came against.
I know we haven't been firing on all cylinders yet this season, and I know that this isn't the league table, but the table above doesn't lie. Our results from last season so far have improved.
you're welcome, I enjoy doing it.

There are many ways you can analyse the season so far, I like this method as it is a true reflection fixture by fixture, which is why I do it. It does give you more perspective, I refused to get carried away at the start of the season when people were getting excited we had started with 4 wins out of 4, all we did is match the results from last season which was a very realistic target if you had the results from last season to hand.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Going by match-day week performances, we're 8 points better off compared to last season. Spurs are 4 points better than what they did last season and Chelsea improved by 3 points. Even Arsenal showed slight progress of +2 points. City actually dropped 2 points from last season tally while United is 6 points off from their previous season. So margins are all very close and we're probably the most improved team this season. City at this point had opened up an 8 point gap between them and the second spot United at this point of the season in 17/18, and now being chased far closer by us. So far, so good...

From 29th Nov till 4th Jan, 5 plus weeks, we are going to play these teams 29/11 - PSG(A), 3/12 - Everton(H), 12/12 - Napoli(H), 17/12 - United(H), 30/12 - Arsenal(H) and 4/1 - City(A). Between those games of course you've got your banana skins like Watford, Bournemouth, Burnley, Wolves and Newcastle. That is going to be our toughest month going into this holiday season and we will need everyone fit. This is where rotation plays a very big role and coaching staff make their proper money.

If we came out of that month still 2 points adrift from Man City, it would be the most impressive season we've had and if we don't win the league by the end of the season, I think I would kidnap Guardiola and keep him away from City come 2019/20 season to give everyone else a fucking chance.
Doing a match day comparison then, yes, we are miles ahead of where we were last season. Should remember though that this was round about the time when Coutinho realised his back wasn't as bad as he'd thought and JK was able to integrate him with Mane, Salah and Firmino. We went on a 20 game unbeaten run in all competitions and scored 55 goals (!). Going to be hard to match that.

There's a warning from history here too. I wrongly assumed this was our best start to a PL season ever but turns out we had 30 points in 12 games in 2002/3 also. We then got just 34 points from our remaining 26 games and finished 5th. I only remember 2002/3 as the year of the failed Diouf, Diao and Cheyrou transfers but there must have been a time early on that season where we thought they were the players that might take us to the title.

[email protected]

Doing a match day comparison then, yes, we are miles ahead of where we were last season. Should remember though that this was round about the time when Coutinho realised his back wasn't as bad as he'd thought and JK was able to integrate him with Mane, Salah and Firmino. We went on a 20 game unbeaten run in all competitions and scored 55 goals (!). Going to be hard to match that.

There's a warning from history here too. I wrongly assumed this was our best start to a PL season ever but turns out we had 30 points in 12 games in 2002/3 also. We then got just 34 points from our remaining 26 games and finished 5th. I only remember 2002/3 as the year of the failed Diouf, Diao and Cheyrou transfers but there must have been a time early on that season where we thought they were the players that might take us to the title.
I remember that season well. Diouf scored two on debut at Anfield, albeit from a combined two yards out. 30 from 36, exactly like now, and then fell apart at Newcastle the next game thanks to a bit of a howler from Dudek. Never recovered at all, at all and the form to seasons end was horrific. The new signings didn't integrate, mostly because they were shit, and Houllier who was then mostly just still recovering couldn't pull it back. Injuries to Owen also made sure we pretty much stagnated as our system was basically designed to utilise him and not much else. Ended being quite a kick in the teeth.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
I remember that season well. Diouf scored two on debut at Anfield, albeit from a combined two yards out. 30 from 36, exactly like now, and then fell apart at Newcastle the next game thanks to a bit of a howler from Dudek. Never recovered at all, at all and the form to seasons end was horrific. The new signings didn't integrate, mostly because they were shit, and Houllier who was then mostly just still recovering couldn't pull it back. Injuries to Owen also made sure we pretty much stagnated as our system was basically designed to utilise him and not much else. Ended being quite a kick in the teeth.
Very hazy on that season personally, at least the first half of it, as me and my now-wife flew out to Australia in July 2002 for five months of backpacking... the only LFC news I could glean was from a few paragraphs in the papers each week and occasional trips to internet cafes. I remember being a bit gutted to be away while we were doing so well, only for it to fall apart almost the moment we got back.

Hum. I've never thought about the correlation between our form and being out of the country before... :think:

Last edited:

[email protected]

Very hazy on that season personally, at least the first half of it, as me and my now-wife flew out to Australia in July 2002 for five months of backpacking... the only LFC news I could glean was from a few paragraphs in the papers each week and occasional trips to internet cafes. I remember being a bit gutted to be away while we were doing so well, only for it to fall apart almost the moment we got back.

Hum. I've never thought before about the correlation between our form and being out of the country before... :think:
I remember it well simply because I was convinced we'd go all the way and then the start we had, oh the start. I was puffing my chest out and telling everyone who'd listen that it was in the bag... Yes, heady days. :-(

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I sure hope Fabinho won't be a new Cheyrou, Keita won't be new Diao and Shaqiri won't be new Diouf.....

I remember it well simply because I was convinced we'd go all the way and then the start we had, oh the start. I was puffing my chest out and telling everyone who'd listen that it was in the bag... Yes, heady days. :-(
That's what... 16 years back. Sometimes with the lack of our success I feel like banging my head on any near by wall....

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
2002/3 and 2003/4 are the two seasons that kind of merge into one for me. Mainly because the football was so dreadful but also because I was out of the UK for a lot of that time. Stopped going to games and generally lost touch a bit.

Nonetheless I was surprised I didn't remember the great start we had in 02/03. I just remember it being dog turd from start to finish.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Didn’t we have like a 12 point lead on United that season going into Christmas break and it all went pear shaped from there?

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Didn’t we have like a 12 point lead on United that season going into Christmas break and it all went pear shaped from there?
Not quite. We were 4 points clear at the top of the league after 12 games and 8 points ahead of Utd. We didn't win any of our next 11 league games. Utd won the title with 83 points and we finished 19 points behind them.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
I remember this season - started off quite well, then dropped like a bomb. The football was quite dire mind... Very defensive and counter attacking.

I really hope this season is different, but do feel that Man City are much more powerful than us - but surely we are stronger than the rest?

Fingers crossed we can kick on, and Jurgen can use this time now to get the best out of this team as I do feel we have room for improvement.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
I find it even harder to believe that even though they're joint 2nd most improved side, the bitters are still 9th on the table.
Don't you remember their start under Koeman? I can't remember exactly when he'd been ditched for Unsworth, but it surely couldn't have been too much further into the season...

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren