Season Comparison: 2017/18 v 2018/2019

LFCFFC

Sure, we're not entirely fluent atm but that goals comparison between now and this time last season speaks volumes. Klopp has become increasingly pragmatic over the years, and sometimes footballing philosophy needs to be abandoned or at least altered to get results. We started slow last year, warmed up as we hit winter and played some sparkling football. Granted we fell in a bit of a hole in the league when injuries mounted, but never underestimate the big guy's shrewdness. We have plenty to work on, and the CL has been disappointing so far (although one home win will remedy that), but the constant negativity over how we play is utterly baffling when you consider our points tally.

Any other season when we didn't have this City side as a direct competitor and we'd already be thinking of the title and there'd be calls for another 24 1-0s if that got the job done.

Great result, Burnley played a tough physical game and it looks like we now have the players that can stand up to these sort of teams.

People bang on about how we are not playing as well as last season, for me this is exactly the sort of game we would have lost last season, especially coming off the back of the Derby result

We have depth as well, Keita and Fabinho finding their feet and could kick on in the new year further.

Allison is Top Drawer, no doubt.

If some how we win the next 4 we will be at the half way stage unbeaten, hopefully a smashing of the Scum in there as well

Last edited:
Stats are unreal so far, we seem to have that fight & hunger about us this season to win, we didn’t look disheveled at all when we went a goal down.

Mourinho looks like he’s already on his way out, so it’d be even sweeter if he goes after a massive defeat to us!

SBYM

I'm just living the dream
Great result, Burnley played a tough physical game and it looks like we now have the players that can stand up to these sort of teams.

People bang on about how we are not playing as well as last season, for me this is exactly the sort of game we would have lost last season, especially coming off the back of the Derby result

We have depth as well, Keita and Fabinho finding their feet and could kick on in the new year further.

Allison is Top Drawer, no doubt.

If some how we win the next 4 we will be at the half way stage unbeaten, hopefully a smashing of the Scum in there as well

So much green...

I eat branflakes everyday, part of my diet. Not kelloggs though the own brand one.
At 1st they tasted like something you would have swept out of a pigeon loft but I'm use to them now and can confirm they are indeed tasty.
Same with Muesli, I think you get used to it. I use to have 2 sugars in my coffee, have none now and it taste's better after a while.
Our boys eat weetabix and drink Ribena hence why we are top....:-)

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
But,but,but,weren't we better last season,:eh?:
When we were hot we were red hot. And when we were cold we were shocking. Many of our poor league performances last season actually remind me a lot of our CL games this season. I'm not suggesting that the players, and least of all Klopp, are consciously tanking the CL, but I'm happy that their off days have been in the CL and not the league!

When we were hot we were red hot. And when we were cold we were shocking. Many of our poor league performances last season actually remind me a lot of our CL games this season. I'm not suggesting that the players, and least of all Klopp, are consciously tanking the CL, but I'm happy that their off days have been in the CL and not the league!
And to add to that we were at times both equally hot and cold in the same game itself, which ended up in allowing many comebacks against us. We have really matured this season - the manager as well as the players.

I have always enjoyed Branflakes, I think they are quite tasty to be honest.

Love this table and your effort, excellent illustration of our undeniable progress this season. We are a much better team, although not as enjoyable. I hope we can nick the qualification from PSG tomorrow.

On a side note, I can't believe we gathered only 1 point from a possible 15 points away from top teams, we were appalling in that aspect last season. Now we have got 5/15 till now, and hopefully this becomes 8 against Man City.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Love this table and your effort, excellent illustration of our undeniable progress this season. We are a much better team, although not as enjoyable. I hope we can nick the qualification from PSG tomorrow.

On a side note, I can't believe we gathered only 1 point from a possible 15 points away from top teams, we were appalling in that aspect last season. Now we have got 5/15 till now, and hopefully this becomes 8 against Man City.
I dunno. I’m enjoying not feeling my sphincter involuntarily tighten whenever we have to defend a set piece.

Thanks for keeping this thread up to date @Fowler's Left Peg , it makes for some good reading!

A different type of comparison, but this is what this years table and last years looked like after 16 match weeks.

Wow that's an incredible format to show exactly how far we've come! City isn't much different just not quite as impressive. The rest of the following pack aren't a million miles away from last year. But the change is definitely us. And an absolutely massive change too! Important to remember how much we improved as the season went on last year too. I expect the same will happen this year too. Maybe not doing better points wise (which would be nearly impossible to improve on) but I think our play will become more fluid and convincing. The likes of Keita, Fabinho and Shaqiri will get more settled as they are here longer and I expect at least the first two to be fully established first choices soon. The likes of Salah and Firmino I think will improve their form as the season goes on too.

Last edited: