• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Sebastian Coates - to Napoli / Juventus / Lazio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Liverpool line up loan move for Gameiro to aid attack

Tony Barrett
Published at 12:01AM, January 1 2013

Brendan Rodgers hopes to sign the PSG forward on loan while there remain moves to re-sign Thomas Ince, the England Under-21 midfielder, from Blackpool.

Liverpool are ready to follow up their imminent capture of Daniel Sturridge with a move for Kevin Gameiro, the Paris Saint-Germain forward, as Brendan Rodgers looks to add experience to his attack.

Sturridge is expected to complete his £12 million transfer from Chelsea in the coming days and be registered in time for Liverpool’s FA Cup third-round tie away to Mansfield Town on Sunday. Although that acquisition will eat up the majority of Rodgers’s January transfer budget, the Liverpool manager is still looking to sign Tom Ince from Blackpool on a permanent basis and Gameiro on loan.

Gameiro initially emerged as a possible alternative to Sturridge when that deal stalled but should PSG agree to allow the 25-year-old France striker to leave before the end of the season, Liverpool will look to sign him.

Ince is still expected to return to Liverpool despite a disagreement over his value, with Blackpool holding out for a fee in the region of £6 million. Should a deal not be completed this month, however, Liverpool are prepared to wait until the summer when Ince’s contract expires and his fee would be set by an FA tribunal.

Rodgers is also interested in Nicolas Isimat-Mirin, the 21-year-old Valenciennes centre back. The Liverpool manager would need to generate funds for that, a situation that could lead to the departure of Sebastián Coates, who is interesting Napoli, Juventus and Lazio.

Queens Park Rangers asked Liverpool if they would let Coates go out on loan but that request was rejected and the Uruguay defender will only be allowed to leave if a significant offer is received. Joe Cole is expected to sign for QPR after his hopes of rejoining Lille were dashed.

Liverpool have taken steps to prevent the further spread of a virus that prevented Rodgers from attending their 3-0 victory over QPR on Sunday after it also affected several players and members of staff. The first team were told to stay away from the club’s training ground yesterday.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/clubs/liverpool/article3644696.ece

OhYaBeauty

Really hope this doesn't happen. I'd be really disappointed in our club if it does

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
a) we know Coates is a close friend, and an off-field inspiration for Suarez to stay and be happy in Liverpool
b )we don't have another CB in the team. Carrager can stack up club appearances and close off the game, but don't think he can play 90 mins week in week out. What if Agger and Sktel injured?
c) Coates is the excellent player to defend against teams playing long ball through the middle. E.g. Everton. And should have came in during Stoke
d) Coates i a excellent CB with huge potential and real threat for corner

So i don't believe there is any truth in this. But if there is, i will be real disappointed at how the clubs dealing with transfers

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
The only move I see Coates making is a loan move, and that will only be due to Carragher being around and Rodgers getting the last out of him before he retires which will probably be the end of the season.

denos666

TIA First Team
the article was about signing gameiro on loan and there is just a brief mention of him supposedly interesting napoli et al. hardly basis to dedicate a thread to it.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
The fact of the matter is that Rodgers doesn't seem all that keen on Coates which is a bit mystifying. I wouldn't be this quick to dismiss any possibility of this happening.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I really hope this doesn't happen. I think Coates as all the attributes to be a world class Centre Back.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Unlikely to happen.

I'm sure Rodgers will have learned from the fiasco he helped create in the summer which left us short of strikers, and not reapeat it with central defenders.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
The Coates rumours disturb me. I certainly hope BR has learnt lessons from last summer regarding transfers, but if he is still repeating mistakes from his Reading days, then it is likely he is not quick to learn from his mistakes. Unless his attempts to strip the squad of players Kenny and Commoli signed is purely an attempt by him to gain favour with the owners by moving on players with relatively high wages. If he is to go out on loan, then somewhere like QPR may be better than abroad.

I hope we dont sell him. He definitely has the ability and potential to be a big player for us. Players like Wilson need to be moved out before him to make room for the likes of Stephen Sama in the reserves and any possible new signings.

Digary

Would hate to see this guy go, he has the potential to be great. He was really good against City in August and he has completely bossed and kept quiet the likes of Tevez, Aguero, Messi for Uruguay which shows he has it in him.

There are flaws in his game for sure. He isn't the quickest or most agile and he has a tendancy to dive into tackles, but those can be ironed out and I think he will go on to be a really top class centre back. Would be a mistake to lose him.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
the article was about signing gameiro on loan and there is just a brief mention of him supposedly interesting napoli et al. hardly basis to dedicate a thread to it.
Totally agree - this is unsubstantiated and only brings out the Rodgers haters.Having said that, I'm not sure about Coates, he's a bit of a lumbering ox and hence gives away far too many fouls in dangerous areas.

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Lumbering ox is a bit harsh but he does lack pace. His awareness helps to a degree but this will only become polished with playing time. Needs a loan rather than a sale

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Lumbering ox is a bit harsh but he does lack pace. His awareness helps to a degree but this will only become polished with playing time. Needs a loan rather than a sale
I just don't think he appeals to Rodgers because of his size and style, in the same way Carroll doesn't.

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
I agree he doesn't seem to be getting the chances. I don't think its the defensive part of his game that's a prob but rather how exposed, and limited, he may become when the ball is recycled

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
This thread will be closed for the time being. I'll gladly reopen it if more precise articles emerge, but this isn't really worthy of a dedicated thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.