• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Sepp van den Berg (CB) PEC Zwolle

What will van den Berg be leaning on?

• Big Cup

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Impatient scousers

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Sad Beckenbauer

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • The welcoming arms of Alex Inglethorpe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The legacy of a thousand destroyed young centre halves

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Echo journalists, still denying this is happening.

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Internet fans, who’ve been ‘tracking him for years’

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Pile of discarded offers from the ‘big clubs’

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Liverpool are hopeful of beating a host of Europe's biggest clubs to the signing of Dutch wonderkid Sepp van den Berg.

The 17-year-old centre-back plays for PEC Zwolle in the Eredivisie.

The ECHO understands the Reds are keen to secure the young defender's services but face competition from the likes of Bayern Munich and Ajax.

He is viewed in the same category as Joe Gomez was when the England international signed from Charlton in 2015 in terms of the belief in his potential and it is very much hoped that he would be signing for the long term.

Serie A side Sampdoria bid €2.5million in January for Van den Berg and he is very highly regarded around Melwood with a belief he would also essentially be ready to play for the first-team from day one.

==========

Also being reported by Neil Jones of Goal (former Echo journalist).

Exactly the right kind of move (imo) if we want another CB for when Lovren (or Matip, but Dejan more likely) leaves. Long-term succession planning, especially as the training facilities are unified moving forward.

SadiosMio

Liverpool are hopeful of beating a host of Europe's biggest clubs to the signing of Dutch wonderkid Sepp van den Berg.

The 17-year-old centre-back plays for PEC Zwolle in the Eredivisie.

The ECHO understands the Reds are keen to secure the young defender's services but face competition from the likes of Bayern Munich and Ajax.

He is viewed in the same category as Joe Gomez was when the England international signed from Charlton in 2015 in terms of the belief in his potential and it is very much hoped that he would be signing for the long term.

Serie A side Sampdoria bid €2.5million in January for Van den Berg and he is very highly regarded around Melwood with a belief he would also essentially be ready to play for the first-team from day one.

==========

Also being reported by Neil Jones of Goal (former Echo journalist).

Exactly the right kind of move (imo) if we want another CB for when Lovren (or Matip, but Dejan more likely) leaves. Long-term succession planning, especially as the training facilities are unified moving forward.
No way he would be in the first team. His aerial game is terrible even by Dutch league standards, let along the toughest league in the world for that. Likely also hasn't been playing the same style defense as he will at Liverpool.

Looks like a good prospect needing a lot of improvement and training. Like pretty much any 17 year old. Liverpool would not buy if they didn't think he had outstanding potential.

Sweeting

Yeah he certainly doesn't seem to be ready for first team football but 900 minutes of football at 16/17 is impressive and he played 450 minutes last season at 15/16.

0.9 aerials per 90 is very weak. 2.7 clearances is below average and 1.3 tackles is pretty solid. Looks like a decent passer - 88% completion.

If we were to sign him I would immediately send him back out on loan, he needs to continue to play, not join our reserve team.

Red over the water

Happy to shop at this end of the market if highly rated. Good luck to the lad if we sign him. It would be nice if De Ligt goes for a fortune and this lad turns out to be just as good, if not better.

SadiosMio

Yeah he certainly doesn't seem to be ready for first team football but 900 minutes of football at 16/17 is impressive and he played 450 minutes last season at 15/16.

0.9 aerials per 90 is very weak. 2.7 clearances is below average and 1.3 tackles is pretty solid. Looks like a decent passer - 88% completion.

If we were to sign him I would immediately send him back out on loan, he needs to continue to play, not join our reserve team.
What I loved seeing is that he almost never gets beaten (part of that might be if Zwolle is playing a deep line, but still plenty of CBs playing deep still get beaten), but still makes tackles (1.6/0.1 tk/drb past ratio) and he doesn't lose the ball and passes pretty well. Then the third -- controlling play and winning in the air -- is an issue, no doubt. No shame, its an issue for almost every young CB, and almost every CB that moves from another league to the PL except Virgil. Great aerial CBs even in quality leagues like Spain, Germany are often just good to very good in England.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Nothing to add really, but sounds a little bit like we're planning around keeping Lovren until the end of his contract (2 more years) and hopefully have this kid up to speed by then to be able to step into his squad role. Maybe Matip similarly, although a year sounds a bit soon for him to be ready, and odds are Matip signs a new contract in any case.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Nothing to add really, but sounds a little bit like we're planning around keeping Lovren until the end of his contract (2 more years) and hopefully have this kid up to speed by then to be able to step into his squad role. Maybe Matip similarly, although a year sounds a bit soon for him to be ready, and odds are Matip signs a new contract in any case.
This kid plus Hoever long term succession plan for Matip and Lovren?

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
This kid plus Hoever long term succession plan for Matip and Lovren?
Yeah, I was wondering about Hoever as this kid seems like the same kind of profile, although with Hoever perhaps we're thinking more in terms of RB (for now), which might also explain why we're willing to let Clyne leave and aren't really being linked with any replacements.

Flobs

FADA
He is viewed in the same category as Joe Gomez was when the England international signed from Charlton in 2015 in terms of the belief in his potential and it is very much hoped that he would be signing for the long term
There wasn't much belief in Gomez when he came.If I remember it was just that assistant coach who was saying how he couldn't beieve how little interest there was in Joe. He came out of the blue did our Joe Gomez (even if he was playing for the national U21s).

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
There wasn't much belief in Gomez when he came.If I remember it was just that assistant coach who was saying how he couldn't beieve how little interest there was in Joe. He came out of the blue did our Joe Gomez (even if he was playing for the national U21s).
I can remember that he was highly rated, it was a bit of a coup for us. Just like the lad we are linked with now, he had already a lot of first-team football under his belt for such a young player. I don't remember if there were other big clubs in for him at the time, but he was very promising from the off, and made some really good appearances as a full back under Rodgers, before he injured himself.

Of course, you never know how these youngsters work out in the end, and I never like this 'wonderkid' tag put on young players by the media. But I trust Klopp and Edwards to have an eye for young talents, that's for sure, and if they think that this lad is worth it, then by all means, go for him.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Sean O'Driscoll raved about him and £3.5m wasn't small change for an 18yr old with 18 starts in the championship. There were high hopes for him.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
This is how we do transfers, lol Rumour at midnight, confirmed by 11am

Liverpool have won the race to sign Dutch teenager Sepp van den Berg, with the defender due to undergo a medical on Wednesday ahead of a £1.79million move.

Bayern Munich and Ajax were both desperate to sign Van Den Berg, but Liverpool have convinced the Holland under-19 international to move to Anfield from PEC Zwolle.

The 17-year-old will become Liverpool’s first signing of the summer and is expected to spend next season acclimatising and learning before trying to make an impression on the first-team squad.

Van Den Berg played 16 first-team Eredivisie games for Zwolle last season and is considered one of the brightest young prospects in Dutch football.

Sampdoria failed with a £2.25m bid for him in January. But with Van den Berg due to enter the final year of his contract, Liverpool have landed him for less ahead of Bayern and Ajax

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
No risk (sure it comes with add ons but they will be beneficial to us in the form of achievements), I remember someone in a book I read on youth talent saying it's impossible to guess what a 17 year old player will be like at 21/22 let alone at his peak.

Flobs

FADA
Also, if you were going to arrange a medical for a high-profile player what better way to keep that under wraps than also arranging for a medical for a 17-yr old.

Idle speculation, nothing more! :)
So according to you we are also signing another 17 year old whilst looking on idlely? :J

Kopstar

★★★★★★
So according to you we are also signing another 17 year old whilst looking on idlely? :J

Flobs

FADA
lol you just can not help youself can you! lol

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Interesting, PEC Zwolle are the club that also sold that Philippe Sandler guy (also a CB) to City last season also for a few bobs. Though he's already 22 so not a young player anymore like this kid.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
lol you just can not help youself can you! lol
Well, either you're deliberately misrepresenting me (in which case you're baiting) or your understanding of English could do with some help. Which is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.