• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Should Steven Gerrard still be considered an automatic starter?

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
To me our best midfield pairing is still Lucas and Gerrard. If both are fit, they should start always as the first choice pairing.

OhYaBeauty

To me our best midfield pairing is still Lucas and Gerrard. If both are fit, they should start always as the first choice pairing.
Mate, we don't use a midfield two anymore, and the players picked should reflect that.

gasband

Ad-free Member
Mate, we don't use a midfield two anymore, and the players picked should reflect that.
I though we have always used 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-1-3 or something like that?!??!!? Nevermind, I still insist. :D

gasband

Ad-free Member
So you'd have Gerrard and Lucas as one of the deep lying two?
Ok now seriously my preferred lineup would be:

Striker
Sterling Suarez Winger
Lucas Gerrard
Enrique Agger Skrtel JOhnson
Reina

gasband

Ad-free Member
Ok my reason being is that with that attacking quartet up there,we are going to create chances. And what I feel, one of those things we are lacking in, is a midfielder who will come in from deep to follow up on long shots, or capture any clearances etc and Gerrard is the best in doing that. He cannot be a box to box CM anymore and Lucas can give him the assurance by staying back when he goes on his run into the box. The only other midfielder that does this very directly is Shelvey but he is some way from replacing Gerrard. Henderson is a potential but Allen and Sahin are 2 different propositions suitable for some other styles.

OhYaBeauty

That would be fine for a system similar to Man United's or Chavski's but in a more possession oriented system, Suarez is not suited to the AM role and Gerrard isn't suited to being the deep lying playmaker

gasband

Ad-free Member
That would be fine for a system similar to Man United's or Chavski's but in a more possession oriented system, Suarez is not suited to the AM role and Gerrard isn't suited to being the deep lying playmaker
ok maybe. But I insist! :D

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
No player should be grated a first team place simply beacuse of reputation, Form is what should be what keeps you in the team, Gerrard is one of are better players at the moment just becasue he is not doing now what he has done in the past does not mean he is not playing well. His role has changed and thats not just because of his age it has to do with the fact we don't have the flexibilty in the squad to use Gerrard in anyother role Rogers may want him to play, I do feel that Gerrard should maybe give up playing for England to help him extand his time for the club but that ain't going to happen this side of the World Cup and while he is captain of England. I do think Rogers will reduce his playing time after Christmas as Lucas should be back by then and I think Rogers will bring in a player who can play in a number of roles in the midfield area thus taken some of the burden from Gerrard.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
That depends on the quality of players we have. Considering the current bunch of players, certainly he will start. But as he grows old, i think he will come on to play more cameo roles. I would really like to see him play a DM role at 34/35. He has that vision, he can tackle, he is a leader. So i cant see any reason why he cant make into the starting 11 of our team.

FreakLFC

Still?? What kinda Q is that?
Ofcourse he should be starting. Is there a better player than him who can take his place? No.

Shelvey is not half the player...Gerrard is. If Shelvey buys glasses he might come a little close but that's about it.

Thanks for believing.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Still?? What kinda Q is that?
Ofcourse he should be starting. Is there a better player than him who can take his place? No.

Shelvey is not half the player...Gerrard is. If Shelvey buys glasses he might come a little close but that's about it.

Thanks for believing.
Mate...you're a total wum - sign falcao, blindly believe in SG even if he's not on form (as he hasn't been for a while)

thank god for ignore.

My take on SG is that if we had a better team, with his current form he'd be benched...fortunately for him he's not got players challenging him. Next season he will do....

FreakLFC

y would u call me a wum ? just because u have different thoughts. are you for real?

y can't i think of falcao or someone big? What's the problem? i dont think mid table llike you unfortunately and like to aim big. that's all. what's the problem in that? just because you don't it doesn't mean its wum to think bout. JEEZ.
Blindly believing Stevie G? Who said so? Did you even read my post u silly man?
i asked if there is a player better than Stevie g in the team? NO!! So that was my answer. Take it or piss off.

Thanks for believing.

Dr_J

TIA Reserve Team
I felt like Gerrard got better yesterday after I thought he did his knee.

I actually wouldn't mind playing him next to Lucas as the deep lying 2 but giving him freedom to go forward. Suso ahead of him.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Mate...you're a total wum - sign falcao, blindly believe in SG even if he's not on form (as he hasn't been for a while)

thank god for ignore.

My take on SG is that if we had a better team, with his current form he'd be benched...fortunately for him he's not got players challenging him. Next season he will do....
Did you even read his post?

He said "is there a better player who can take his place?no"

You said "If we had a better team, Gerrard wouldn't be playing"

How are they different?

Of course if we had a better player to take his place he wouldn't be playing. Fucking hell, that's some insight is that.

The point is, we don't. Isn't that the point of the thread, to be answering the question of whether Gerrard should currently be getting in the team?

As you said yourself, there aren't any better options, so obviously he should. It's that simple, how people are missing this point is beyond me. It has nothing to do with loyalties or sentimentality, even though Gerrard is miles away from anything like the form he produced from 2000-2009, he's still good enough to be getting in the side ahead of the competition we have at the moment.

Some people seem to want to see him benched just for the sake of benching him.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I think people are reading too much into the system and theories of how each player would fit into it. So far the only player that has the same ability to take the team forward all by himself when need be is Suarez, the rest are merely bystanders or inexperience. Gerrard over the past two seasons had to shoulder defensive position and not able to just bomb forward without care of counter attacks. The supporting cast is just not good enough, and when people say there players don't move enough for Allen to find them, it goes the same with Gerrard when the only option he usually has infront of him is Suarez.

I don't think Sahin is better than Gerrard for now, neither is Allen, and I don't think Suso can do the job of Gerrard just yet and certainly not Shelvey, and let's not discuss Henderson right at this moment. So I can't see who else can take up his role.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Gerrard should not be considered an automatic starter! If Lucas comes back and finds his form from the start of last season then he's the only automatic starter in midfield. Allen is loved by Rodgers and usually does well enough where we kind of see where Brendon is coming from. We should also see a better Joe Allen when Lucas comes back which sews up the 2 deep lying midfielders.

Is Gerrard our best option in the CAM spot? I don't think so. I'd rather have Sahin and Suso ahead of him there, not that they are better now but they have more potential for the future so I'd play them there over Stevie. My biggest reason for not wanting to see Gerrard playing CAM is that he tends to cross the ball early even if its not the best option. I'd rather see someone keep possession of the ball and work it round. Someone that can unlock a tight defense by playing through balls instead of crossing from deep for a tiny attacker trying to get up among the tall CBs. I'd rather see a midfielder keeping the ball down and finding space instead.

Wide forward would be an option as long as we have a quality, goal scoring wide forward on the other side.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Mascot, I am curious....where would you prefer to see him?
Any of the attacking three positions. He could even play 'false 9' in our system. Lets face it, he is probably the best finisher at the club.

I fully expect to see Lucas, Allen and Suso/Shelvey when the Brazilian is back.

FreakLFC

Did you even read his post?

He said "is there a better player who can take his place?no"

You said "If we had a better team, Gerrard wouldn't be playing"

How are they different?

Of course if we had a better player to take his place he wouldn't be playing. Fucking hell, that's some insight is that.

The point is, we don't. Isn't that the point of the thread, to be answering the question of whether Gerrard should currently be getting in the team?

As you said yourself, there aren't any better options, so obviously he should. It's that simple, how people are missing this point is beyond me. It has nothing to do with loyalties or sentimentality, even though Gerrard is miles away from anything like the form he produced from 2000-2009, he's still good enough to be getting in the side ahead of the competition we have at the moment.

Thanks mate. So much sense in that post.

R U 12 M8?
im 11 with more sense than u :)