• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Should we cheat (within reason) if that’s what it takes to win the league ?

Should we cheat to win the league ?

• Yes hack the big fucker down

Votes: 35 72.9%
  • No, playing by the rules matters more

Votes: 13 27.1%

• Total voters

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
There’s been a bit of a debate in the Man City thread about the ethics of their systematic fouling as teams break against them. This has led to a discussion about whether winning the league is more important than playing by the rules.

So following #mascot88’s excellent question; imagine the following scenario, it’s nil nil in the last minute of the last game of the season. We need a point to win the league. Newcastle break from a corner and as Andy Carroll lumbers toward the hordes of baying bare chested fat geordies in the Gallowgate end, Lovren blatantly hacks him down from behind. He gets a red, they squander the free kick and we win the league.

My question is are you happy or ashamed ?

Last edited:

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
You gotta do what you gotta do to win,
it may not be the beautiful game,
but taking the moral high ground wont win you many medals/trophies,
and sometimes you have to break the rules or push the boundaries to get what you want.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
My initial thoughts were to play by the rules, however, thinking what I would do if I was the player in that situation and I reversed my thoughts, I would bring them down. Goes against my footballing ethics, but the team comes 1st!!!

Incognito

The Normal One
Committing a foul isn't cheating.
+1

Will just quote what I wrote in the city thread

But why is getting punished after committing a foul not within the rules? It isn't like we are getting away after committing a foul in the hypothetical example, be it then called tactical or whatever.

Then we should be playing like we do probably in training (to avoid injuries) trying our best not to go in hard on challenges so that we don't commit fouls as it's breaking of rules.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Man City have cheated their way to two leagues in the last two seasons, on a macro level. FFP abuse and systematic fouling is cheating. Ramos unpunished assault on Salah is cheating. That is blatant subterfuge and warping the rules with no expectation of punishment.

Taking a yellow or red for a professional foul isnt cheating, you expect to get caught. You take the card for the good of the team. How can a punished foul be called cheating?? Some Liverpool player should have fouled Michael Thomas for "that" goal. But its forgivable given the circumstances. Should Lovren take down Carroll. Fucking sure he should.

I think there is a prevalance of equity and fairness in these times that is damaging human development. I heard recently that "best loser" is not a term to be used in athletics. It is something like best non qualifier or such nonsense. You know what, there is one winner and the rest are fucking losers. Get over it, understand dissapointment.

Liverpool dont cheat. But Fabinho taking a yellow for the team is part of the game. Its not cheating and nothing to be ashamed of.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Too many different scenarios here to give a simple answer.

In answer to the thread question. No.

In answer to the scenario in the OP. I'm delighted. We won the bloody league.

Is there a difference between the scenario and Milner/Fabinho making a 'cynical challenge' on occasion throughout the season. Yeah a massive difference. I'd say that's something every team does, every week. It's one for the fans to give a boo and the ref to give a free-kick or a card.

Change the scenario to City doing that to win the league and we'll label them as cheats, Otamendi for example would forever be a cheating cunt. Their win from our point of view would always been tainted. Would they care? No.

Would I want to see us play like the Leeds and Arsenal's of the past? No

Do City play like them? No

Do I think Carroll will beat Alisson 1 on 1?

No fucking chance.

Last edited:

treboeth

Do I want us to be known as the cheats that won the Prem after 30 years(thats what the pricks would be saying)?

No I want to do it honestly and I think it`s the way Klopp will want it done(and will do it).

We are not a cheating club,unless you want us to be another Citeh Oil Club?

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
There’s been a bit of a debate in the Man City thread about the ethics of their systematic fouling as teams break against them. This has led to a discussion about whether winning the league is more important than playing by the rules.

So following #mascot88’s excellent question; imagine the following scenario, it’s nil nil in the last minute of the last game of the season. We need a point to win the league. Newcastle break from a corner and as Andy Carroll sprints toward the kop, Lovren blatantly hacks him down from behind. He gets a red, they squander the free kick and we win the league.

If Lovren gets a red card, then it is being punished. If he continually commits similar fouls throughout the season without getting punished, then I would have an issue with it.

liverpool8

So following #mascot88’s excellent question; imagine the following scenario, it’s nil nil in the last minute of the last game of the season. We need a point to win the league. Newcastle break from a corner and as Andy Carroll sprints toward the kop, Lovren blatantly hacks him down from behind. He gets a red, they squander the free kick and we win the league.

VAR rules the question void. Liverpool will win the PL way before the last game.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
Do I want us to be known as the cheats that won the Prem after 30 years(thats what the pricks would be saying)?

No I want to do it honestly and I think it`s the way Klopp will want it done(and will do it).

We are not a cheating club,unless you want us to be another Citeh Oil Club?
I agree with you. As I said in the city thread, there would be such a tsunami of shit
directed at us if we won the league in controversial circumstances. This is why most of the country hate City, they are cheats and people can see it.

Sweeting

I'd be fucking livid if one of our players didn't hack him in that scenario.

I'm still annoyed that Alonso didn't bring Walcott down - thankfully Babel rescued us.

treboeth

I agree with you. As I said in the city thread, there would be such a tsunami of shit
directed at us if we won the league in controversial circumstances. This is why most of the country hate City, they are cheats and people can see it.
IF we win it this year we will get shit from all angles.
If we win it without cheating we hold our heads up high and the haters can go fuck themselves.

I know they will still hate us and find a "reason" why it was gifted to us anyway, but if we win it honestly I could give two fucks anyway :)

treboeth

VAR goes in sequence. Liverpool had already won the PL so nothing else in the sequence quoted ever happened.
"Wait til Var is a thing" the haters said,Liverpoo(sic) will lose points.
"Var is introduced to gift Liverpoo(sic) the Title" they say when we win.

Haters will hate us whichever way we win the next Title.
So fuck them when we do it honestly,it`ll eat the bastards up even more.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
FFP cheating is a real red flag for me. Citeh are masters at this but the downside for them is they have become discretited by all neutral observers except for a few blinkered media 'experts' and their own plastic followers.

Regarding on field behaviour, I despise tactical foul play when used as an ongoing team doctrine. Citeh are guilty again in this regard but they are not alone. Ramos and his ilk spring to mind.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Bend the rules till they almost snap because sure as shit the opposition will. Fuck the Marquis of Quensburry’s rules, kick em in the plumbs and nick their trophy.

Joe Gomez x

Couldn’t give a fuck how we win the league to be honest. Being how long it’s been I’ve became feel like a junkie trying to get a fix by any means. If Lovren drags him down to win it, cult hero status should be given imo.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
To extend this a bit further: systematically developing a tactic and club culture of pervasive fouling is not the same as committing a foul. (I would not be happy to support a club with this kind of culture.)

The bigger question/issue is one of refereeing/enforcement.
Totally agree

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
If Lovren gets a red card, then it is being punished. If he continually commits similar fouls throughout the season without getting punished, then I would have an issue with it.
Remember Suarez for Uruguay very late in a World cup game deliberately handling the ball on the line to deny a goal resulting in him being sent off and a penalty being given. Penalty was missed which resulted in Uruguay going through, that was cheating but he had to do it for his team!!

Best way to stop that is award a penalty goal, same as a penalty try

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

I thought this was a pretty decent and serious question until I realised you were taking the piss.

Andy Carrol. Sprint. I think the term the kids use is ‘lol’