Should we make a 'big statement' signing this summer?

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by SirBillShankly, Mar 15, 2017.

1. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Managers play a very important role in setting up tactics and strategies for a match, especially in Champs League. Mellor, Sinama-Pongolle, Xabi Alonso, none of those are Champs League experienced. Biscan? Traore? Baros? Finnan? Riise? Le Tellac? These are all have fuck all in Champs League experience. Torres have none, Mascherano never played in the Champs League when he played for us. The difference is Rafa who knows what it takes to not lose games in the Champs League and setup teams to go through the motion. Players may be the one executing the tactics, but if you got it wrong - benching your most experience player in a match against Madrid for example, can be detrimental.

indianscouser likes this.
  2. Elessar

Elessar Well-Known Member

No one have a clue how good VVD is. One good season isn't evidence enough. It is a gamble but it would also send out a signal that only the PL title is good enough, second place isn't. We want to win.

That signal is worth a few millions extra because it would make it easier to sign other players. I am not happy if we pay £60m for him but it is what it is. If Klopp want him then we should sign him. He must get the chance to build a squad that can win the PL and the CL.

To say that splashing out big in the transfer market don't make ticket prices higher is just laughable. It also make the atmosphere at the games worse because of the very expensive ticket prices.

I think a very good atmosphere at every game at Anfield is worth a few points a season. A very good signing is also worth that. It is almost an impossible job to get both.

3. Elessar

If we sign VVD and his wages is £200k+ it also shows that FSG have binned our wage structure and they now will be prepared to offer fantasy wages so we have a realistic chance to sign our first choice targets. If we want to be a top class team than we must be prepared to have almost the every starting XI player on £150k+ a week in wages. It will cost that much if we want to win the PL and the CL.

4. Klopptinho

Klopptinho Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like this VvD transfer is going to happen any time soon.

5. Wilkored08

Wilkored08 Active Member

And now we've been reported for instigating enquiries about VVD....but he wants to come to Anfield...(so he says)....is this going to drag on.

6. Elessar

Maybe he should put in a transfer request. Then we know that he really want out. Then we know that he isn't only after more money. They probably won't sell him until he done that. Every player that want out should put in a transfer request as soon as possible. It is an politics. The club don't won't be seen as a selling club and the player won't be seen as he let the club and the fans down.

7. Klopptinho

very rare for any player these days to put in a written transfer request due to the amount of money they lose out on for doing so . it has nothing to do with politics .

8. Wilkored08

Wilkored08 Active Member

VVD...stand up and say you want to join LFC and you want to play CL football.

9. Klopptinho

he won'r . he signed a 5 year contract and he'll forfeit any monies that would come his way from that contract should he hand in a transfer request . from that point of view it would be terrible advice from his agent to make a public or written request .

there has been no official approach from our club - so this rumour that started about him wanting to join us after meeting/speaking with Jurgen Klopp - i hope is just media nonsense because we have already fallen foul of the FA and Premier league when it comes to signing academy players .

10. Wilkored08

Wilkored08 Active Member

Could it all by a rumour started by someone who doesn't want us to have a decent team....

11. Claymenza

Claymenza Well-Known Member

I really hope we get the Salah deal wrapped up before we get banned from signing players. This will solve the flanks, allow coutinho to move infield and finally fill up the chasm vacated by lucas/emre can.
    Either we give up on Van Dyjk or we risk getting a transfer ban. We need a left back more

12. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

No way the entire appeal process is resolved before July 1, I doubt the PL procedure would even reach a conclusion by then. I am not sure that the PL even has the power to make that a sanction. All of the transfer bans I can think of have been FIFA level.

13. Wilkored08

Wilkored08 Active Member

VVD not coming to LFC.....because his club didn't like our enquiry.....so now he's not moving, so are they waiting for a better offer from another club....for more money...is that the reason they complained....so who the f**ck do we pick now!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  14. treboeth

treboeth Well-Known Member

Well we definitely made a big statement.

Not one that any of us expected :?:

15. Wilkored08

Wilkored08 Active Member

What about Kyle Walker??? Is he wanting a move....or do we go further afield?.

16. Maria

Maria The Misfit one

No,me shouldn't make any statement because we always make a mess of it. Nothing until the player is signed.

17. jaffod

jaffod Well-Known Member

Yeah, we've just told everyone we're a shower of complete fucking morons.

18. KCollins

KCollins Active Member

This has set my alarm bells ringing towards the owners,

I will only believe our interest was genuine if we pay 50 million on another defender. My hunch is we have been had by our owners. Make it look like we are spending big, then end "interest" at the first sight of any issue. If we wanted Van Dijk we would have got him.

19. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

At most we get a fine from the PL. I think that talk about Soton owners might need to keep their best player to get the sale sorted out with the Chinese might be a factor in this. This isn't the first time they sell all their best players, they do it every damn season.

20. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

We want £25m for our centre back,no fuck that we have to pay you £50m.:celebrating:

Limiescouse, Lowton_Red and treboeth like this.
  21. Hope in your heart

Hope in your heart Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts... Admin

Well, this club just made once again a blinding demonstration that they are absolutely unable to do such a thing like 'big statement signing'...

treboeth likes this.
  22. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Not even that - the PL has already stated the matter is closed.

treboeth likes this.
  23. Eintrachtfan

Eintrachtfan The convinced one

Now our first big statement is gone. I wonder how many will follow yet

24. redbj

redbj hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

well...it was a statement of sorts wasn't it.

quite deflating really.

Livvy likes this.
  25. ptt

ptt Mane I'm excited for this season

Speak for yourself!

Commando likes this.
  26. Lostmyfunk 3421

Lostmyfunk 3421 Standing on the verge of getting it on

Smokescreens and mirrors on Twitter....Who ever put money 1/10 on odds would be feeling a bit silly now...Shame, as he is a class player in an area of the pitch we have been shoddy in for years.

The curse of our recent transfer approaches is getting trivial. Whoever has messed up should be released. This happens nearly every window and it's pathetic. I do believe we are up against now...seems to be a conspiracy to keep the status quo. Let's just get that over priced guy from the championship...Leeds player. Or some unknown from Germany/Holland.

Quaresema rumour would brighten up things a little. I'm fed up.

27. Commando

Commando Active Member

Some of it is our (the fans) fault. Nowadays that's 'll we seem to talk about. Even during the season it's "who can we get for that problem position"? "I'd like so and so from whatever club playing for us". "Such a player has only 18 months on his contract, let's get him".
    I've been going to the match since the early seventies and don't recall all the speculation pre transfer in those days. The first you knew was when it was on the back page that we'd signed a player.
    Let's all just take a breath, come back in August and see what our team looks like. No amount of conjecture or wishing on here is going to affect FSG's thinking or approach.

28. richieh10

richieh10 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that what's happened with VVD isn't they type of statement we wanted to make.

Fucking embarrassing!!!

Now if we do end up signing him (I still think we could) we're going to end up paying more and basically being southamptons bitches coz we're scared they are going to report us.

If we don't get him then whoever we get to replace him is always gonna be "second choice" and any defensive mistakes next season will bring on the "wouldn't have happened if we had VVD comments"

Most damaging tho is that it's gonna make any players we go in for this summer think twice... looks like we've already binned Salah off coz Roma wanted too much, why would any player entertain coming to Anfield with the doubts in the back of his head that we'll ditch the bid or try and move the goalposts at the 11th hour.

Got excited by transfers that didn't end up happening before but FFS this is so fucking amateurish I can't believe.

I think that 90% of transfers that happen now involve the player being "tapped up" be it by clubs or team mates when on international duty etc not to mention the roles that their agents play. If it is true that he wanted to come here the only way it will happen now is if he sticks a transfer request in.

As for the fee I've read somewhere 60-70 million - Fuck off! Personally think 50 million is too much but it's gonna take that I think to get the deal done if it's still going to happen.

29. Never Say Never

Never Say Never FSG are the iluminati

THATS IT. WE BLEW OUR ONE CHANCE TO MAKE A STATEMENT SIGNING. SUMMERS OVER, FELLAS (AND LADIES).

lfc.eddie likes this.
  30. treboeth

treboeth Well-Known Member

Summer Statement from TIA:-

Your caps lock is stucklol