Should we make a 'big statement' signing this summer?

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by SirBillShankly, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Kopstar

Kopstar ★★★★★ Valued Member

It depends. Clubs buy players' image rights but most are restricted to paying no more than 20% of a player's salary due to the agreement with HMRC. The amount paid for global (non-UK) image rights can be put off-shore.

In some cases a player's image rights may be more valuable so it is possible that they could also receive a% of total shirt sales (over a certain minimum number as agreed).

Klopptinho and Arminius like this.
  2. Elessar

Elessar Well-Known Member

We must make big statement signings. If we do that then we will also get better sponsorship deals. It isn't shirt sales that pay most of the transfer fees that United make. It is the big sponsorship deals that they get because they make big statement signings. Let say for example that we signed Neymar for £180m. We would probably almost double our income from sponsorship deals if we did that. That is of course an extreme case but you get my point.

3. Elessar

Now it comes down to realistic signings? Have we even a realistic chance to sign a big statement signing?

I doubt that very much. The best chance we have is probably Suarez and he isn't a realistic signing. Look at the 50 best players in the world? How may of them would even consider to join us if we didn't offer them £300k+ a week in wages?

4. Elessar

We must get much better sponsorship deals so we can afford to pay much higher wages or FSG must sell the club to someone that can afford to do that without much better sponsorship deals.

When we can afford to offer the big statement signings £300k+ a week then many of them suddenly get realistic signings.

5. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Well-Known Member

Do you ever make sense.

Chewbazza and treboeth like this.
  6. treboeth

treboeth Well-Known Member

I keep considering the ignore option but then realise I need a laugh in these dark times.

Scott Jones likes this.
  7. Elessar

In this case yes. Who of the 50 best players would consider to join us if we didn't offer him £300k+ a week in wages?

8. Elessar

If we offered him for example £200k a week then he would turn us down laughing. Not being a London club means that we must compensate that.

9. Kopstar

Name 50 footballers who earn £300k+ a week. Go.

10. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Your point, as well your Neymar example, is nonsense. Big name players do not have a reliably measurable impact on sponsorship revenue. Winning titles and adding to the supporter base does that - to the extent that big name players help you do that, they make sense. ManU's commercial revenue has been under pressure in the past few years, which is somewhat obscured by the gargantuan Adidas deal they signed - one which would have immediately ratcheted downward had they failed to qualify for the CL in 17/18. Conversely, they sold one of the biggest names in world football in CRonaldo, and began a period of improved commercial revenue growth.

Specifically to your example, Barcelona's commercial revenue growth since Neymar joined has been impressive, but the lag has been about 18 months from his signing. Neymar helped them win a triple, which anchored a year ending with a major surge in sponsorship revenue. Occam's Razor suggests the triple is what drove the revenue, not Neymar. To the extent they would not have won that triple without Neymar, he was a good signing.

But that doesn't justify overly complicated financial reasoning. If you build a winning team with the resources available to you, you will have commercial and sporting success. Focus on building the winning team, and the sponsorship revenues will come knocking, with those twats from Adidas first in line hat in hand.

11. Arminius

Consider posting a list of players currently earning 300k/week. For that matter, the list of 200k/week players is not that large.

Kopstar beat me to it...

treboeth and Scott Jones like this.
  12. Scott Jones

We got a couple already so lets build a quality team around them and win things and be more attractive to top players,we have a budget and numerous positions to fill so why blow it on one,stop fucking whinging.:-)

Alright Now and treboeth like this.
  13. Kopstar

Twats, bellends... @Scott Jones better fucking watch out at this rate ;-)

14. Arminius

Been feeding mosquitos all day, a bit short-tempered I do confess.

Kopstar likes this.
  15. Scott Jones

Nice,fucking nice.:well done:

Alright Now, Jase and treboeth like this.
  16. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

taking the piss?

17. treboeth

treboeth Well-Known Member

more often than not yes :?:

Scott Jones likes this.
  18. Gazmaninaus

Gazmaninaus Well-Known Member

While, I understand a fans need to buy the best, and therefore most expensive players, sometimes, its a good thing, we don't have the money.
    I have noticed numerous fans, jumping on the Salah bandwagon, just pay the 40 million pounds and stop fucking around, our transfer committee must be the worst on the planet, etc. In fact we offered 28 million pounds, and even the Italian media claim, they want 40 million Euro, so we are doing what sensible negotiating is.
    Do we actually as fans, think about the money, or just getting a name in.
    I thought our days of frivilous spending was over, look at Lovren for example, we paid a big fee for the lad, last seasons big thing, and really he has been ordinary to good, not brilliant. Even in today's market, we would probably only recoup about the same as we paid, several years ago. Now we all scream about the tragic spending of the Suarez money, but if we look back at the blogs in those days, it was the same theme, just pay the fucking money FSG.
    We have come along way in the last 5-7 years, and I for one, don't think we should go back to the days of just pay the money.
    Lots of fans losing their shit over Van the Man, but if all he is interested in is money, then even Klopp has said, you come here to play for LFC, first and foremost.
    Statement signings mean nothing, if they are only in it for themselves, and their talent doesn't really add up to their price.

Red Skip and Semmy like this.
  19. Claymenza

Claymenza Well-Known Member

Mo salah is one of those signings that has a high probability of hitting the ground running. He's creative, lighting quick, and has bags of proven experience already to fit right on the left flank where we need him. I can't think of any one else who fits this profile.

I don't believe VVD is worth the dough his transfer fee and wages command; even as a 'statement' signing. A better statement would be to re-think how to structure our defense. We can do this as opposed to signing one person who despite being excellent at his job, may not necessarily be the only answer we're looking for.

Depending on the sturridge situation, we should look into lacazette's availability. Atletico has a habit of replacing their strikers with the next best thing, so i wonder why no one else is bidding for him.

I fear emre can might leave. Sturridge depends on how pre-season goes for him.

Poor Scouser Tommy likes this.
  20. Elessar

I will ask the question again. Who of the 50 best players would join us if we didn't offered him £300k+ a week? I don't give a shit about how many players that earn that kind of money now. The question is how many of the 50 best players would join us if we didn't offer £300k+ a week?

Answer that please. Name the players please. If you can come up with even one name then I will be surprised.

A lot of fans support a player before a club. If for example Neymar joined us then we would suddenly get millions of new fans. That means much bigger sponsorship deals.

You can continue to laugh if you want. I don't because we won't sign any of the best players if we don't offer offer much better wages than our rivals. We have seen that time after time. We have lost out on top class players because we didn't offer them much better wages than our rivals.

21. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

...............And the hole just keeps on getting deeper:eh?:

treboeth likes this.
  22. Elessar

I see that you couldn't name a player. What a surprise.............:wave::((

23. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

You complained in Van Dijk thread about people taking the piss with what you've posted. So I came in here seeing you rambling on about we need to
    1. Pay £300K a week for top 50 players in the world, or else they won't come.
    2. Buying these sort of players would double our sponsorship against the cost of purchasing that player.
    3. Asking everyone to name players that are in the top 50 bracket that would come to our club if we don't offer £300K and above for wages.

Now, why don't you offer your own list of players in the top 50 bracket that is on £300K a week or would come to us if we offer them £300K a week. I took the liberty to google the 50 best list. Maybe you can point out who we could target and they would come for £300K a week, and how many of them are on £300K a week currently.

And stop whining about being victimised.

Top 50 Players in 2016/17 season (all over the world)

treboeth likes this.
  24. Klopptinho

Klopptinho Well-Known Member

roberto firmino , phillipe coutinho, adam lallana, sadio mane and daniel sturridge would be snapped up by any club in the world if they were available to leave so your point is not valid as we already have some of the top players in the world - what we don't have is strength in depth

if you're talking about taking players from the real , barca , bayern etc then these clubs don't sell their best players - offering £300k £400k £500k they just don't want to leave a situation in which they are guaranteed to be in a title fight or title winners season in season out . Even man city, chelsea , the scum , arsenal and psg cannot attract these players - what these teams end up with are the cast offs or the ones that have already peaked .

25. Elessar

I only mentioned Neymar when it comes down to sponsorship deals and I said it was an extreme case but surprise surprise you imagined something up to have a go. I never said that every top class player would double our sponsorship income. Only Neymar would probably do that.

Coutinho wasn't a top 50 player when we signed him. Firmino, Lallana, Mane wasn't that either.

26. Klopptinho

Klopptinho Well-Known Member

whether they were or weren't top 50 players when we signed them is not the point . Those players are now playing at a high level performance wise week in week out and they are happy to play for us . we don't pay them 300k.

you appear to be suggesting that any half decent player won't play for us unless we offer a kings ransom! bearing in mind the top 50 players are different with each person you ask.

also why on earth would neymar double our sponsorship ? whilst it may boost a club like ours in a commercial sense it is not like we are some small unknown club - i could see a huge increase for the likes of spurs or everton who are not world renowned.

27. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Come on now.... then what's the point of this...
    Why even use it as an example if you are not insinuating that big names player will double your sponsorship revenue.

Now you are right that those names mentioned are not top 50 players. But I listed those names rated as top 50, my question to you is....
    1. How many of those do you think would come to us if we offer them £300K a week wages?
    2. How many of those are on £300K a week wages?
    3. Who then would you think or believe in your own top 50 list would come to our club if we offer him £300K a week, and why do you think they are top 50?

You have been complaining about everyone not wanting to answer your question and some of us did it in the Van Dijk thread. Now the question had been posted to you in this thread, not only by me, but by a few others. Why not for the sake of discussion topic you initiated, for you to answer those questions posted to your. Rather than running around saying people picking on you, having a go at you and others are imagining things up, while it was written in this very page?

28. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

@Elessar I will take the bait on this stupid question.
    Mascherano.

He is on Eddie's list, and you didn't produce a list to choose from so I used his. And to be honest, we could use a player like him

Current salary £130k/week. Really not much of a challenge.

Now quit being obtuse.

lfc.eddie likes this.
  29. spizfromoz

spizfromoz The Ancient Home of Austerity

Sanchez and a ripping full back would make the kind of statement that competes for trophies. No doubt. But I wonder if steady building already in evidence won't get us there faster. Salah not a big statement but he seriously fits what we want. Coutinho goes into the middle, Mane and Salah out side, Firnino pulling some strings - these factors will make a difference next season.

Thing is if we try for a big money blitz and say pay 150k per week on that LB Kolasinac and he turns out rubbish, we all think its a rubbish plan. But a seriously good LB is something we should identify this window. That haircut on legs we had from Spain just didn't cut it.

Balance above bullshit.

Gazmaninaus likes this.
  30. SirBillShankly

SirBillShankly Joe and Holly's dad

So, looks like we're about to sign football's most expensive defender.

Some statement that................:-)