• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Simon Mignolet (GK) Club Brugge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave-D

Don’t believe that for a second. Mignolet wages are well out of Club Brugge league, no way they could pay 70k per week and a transfer fee in excess of 10 million

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Don’t believe that for a second. Mignolet wages are well out of Club Brugge league, no way they could pay 70k per week and a transfer fee in excess of 10 million
If you are right, then perhaps the club are willing to sanction a deal because of either promises made to him last year or circumstances that have since arisen in the player's family situation?

Dave-D

If you are right, then perhaps the club are willing to sanction a deal because of either promises made to him last year or circumstances that have since arisen in the player's family situation?
Who replaces him tho? Heaton is now a Villa player and he was touted as a target.

Could it be Lonergan?????? (Shocked face emoji)

rab

They've made a lot of money this window. Wages we'll no doubt be supplementing but they can afford the fee.

Even on the wages, we could have said "you stay and we'll pay you £70k or you move and take what you can but we won't supplement it." Ultimately we haven't been pushing him out.

Last edited:

Dave-D

Is that Donny Lonergan?
Danny Lonergan is a keeper Liverpool took in to play back up to Migs in pre season as two of the other three got injured and the other went out on loan.
Don’t know if he got a contract for the summer period or just a gentleman’s agreement where he gets fit and Liverpool get back up with experience.

Joe Gomez x

Hopefully not Andy Lonergan but I’d be surprised if a player better than Mignolet would want to only play Carabao Cup and FA Cup games.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Before the window opened, I wished he, Lovren and Lallana would have been replaced this summer but it took me a while to understand that when Klopp said it would be a quiet summer, he also had backup players in mind. It's a shame that Mignolet wants to leave so late in the window but it's perfectly understandable, he wants to play regularly and he should be entering his prime. A fine gentleman and a decent shot-stopper but unfortunately not a consistently good goalkeeper overall (and that's being polite - similar can be said about Lovren and Lallana is just made of glass, otherwise a quality talent). All the best to him wherever he goes.

I wonder who his replacement will be - is Reina available? He certainly likes to make it clear he's a Red whenever he can and he's no more than a no. 2 these days... A sentimental rather than a sensible choice but I can't think of anyone else at the moment.

Herb

Done well to get that kind of fee for him really. No doubting his effort and professionalism during his time here, unfortunately he was a pretty poor keeper. To me it would have made little sense to keep him around for another year.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
@Nikola I think Reina went to AC Milan this window..?
I think he's been there for a while but I honestly can't remember the last time I saw him play for anyone (Napoli was probably the last). I see Adrian and McCarthy have been mentioned as well.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Before the window opened, I wished he, Lovren and Lallana would have been replaced this summer but it took me a while to understand that when Klopp said it would be a quiet summer, he also had backup players in mind. It's a shame that Mignolet wants to leave so late in the window but it's perfectly understandable, he wants to play regularly and he should be entering his prime. A fine gentleman and a decent shot-stopper but unfortunately not a consistently good goalkeeper overall (and that's being polite - similar can be said about Lovren and Lallana is just made of glass, otherwise a quality talent). All the best to him wherever he goes.

I wonder who his replacement will be - is Reina available? He certainly likes to make it clear he's a Red whenever he can and he's no more than a no. 2 these days... A sentimental rather than a sensible choice but I can't think of anyone else at the moment.
Whether he's jumping or being pushed I can only imagine that Mignolet's being allowed to go because we've got someone lined up.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
This has been in the offing all window,and before,I hope the club has got this covered.
Why wouldn't Migs go if he can get playing time,he certainly never got it here since Alisson arrived.
Good luck to him,he was obviously an asset in the dressing room and presumably at training.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
It was last season he joined AC Milan and the way they operate you wouldn’t put it past them needing to get rid of him to balance the books.
Supposedly, Sarri rates Pepe very highly following his time as Napoli coach and he's keen on signing him for Juventus. That was rumoured back in June and nothing's happened. Maybe Pepe has been hedging his bets waiting for Mignolet to leave so he could 'come home'?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Good luck.... From day one I knew he is an alright keeper, not good enough to keep us competitive and was told he's better than Reina because he had more "saves" for Sunderland. Well good luck Mignolet, not your fault we didn't know how to improve your weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.